Judge Dredd: Karl Urban ‘In Discussions’ For TV Series

>Judge Dredd: Karl Urban ‘In Discussions’ For TV Series

How the fuck did this actually happen

Did anyone seriously think any continuation to Dredd was possible?

screenrant.com/dredd-tv-series-karl-urban-cast/

Also, check out the concept art for the new series

I'm tentatively looking forward to this.
I just hope it's more of a dark satire than a typical gritty action show.

I do wonder if the Dark Judges will make an appearance? Or if any of the episodes will be based on any of the comic storylines?

We've already gone over this. You bumped another thread off the catalog to post your stale topic. Do the rest of us a favor and stop. Don't even reply to apologize.

See the official concept art here
Read the title of the art :)

>How the fuck did this actually happen
Now, this is all my personal view of it, formed through a bunch of videos and podcasts with the folks involved, but...
Rebellion, 2000AD's publisher, has learned that the best way to raise awareness of Judge Dredd and 2000AD in general is through multimedia projects. Consider that the 2012 movie actually managed to (sorta) break Dredd into the US, something that they've been trying to do for decades. Even with the backing of a massive studio film starring a major action star and a deal with DC Comics, they'd failed in the 90s. And now they're publishing US versions of the Case Files.
So it's absolutely in Rebellion's best interests to try for more media projects. Movies, however, are kind of a pain in the ass to get off the ground because you need producers, distributors, basically you need to convince a thousand different people that this movie's gonna be a hit, which is hard when the first one bombed.
Now, Rebellion is a videogame company, and they've found that digital distribution via Steam has helped them make a lot more of a profit from games like the Sniper Elite series than if they were sold via regular channels, with a publisher and such. It's possible that they seek to replicate that via a TV show, doing away with all the thousand people and hopefully only having to court a network. And with Marvel and DC's shows being a hot ticket and the very nature of Dredd lending itself extremely well to the format, it makes sense for them to go that way.
Whether it'll actually succeed or not is up in the air. Rebellion are obviously very involved with this, and things like the petition or the internet buzz means they can show a ready-made audience to whatever networks they sell it to. But it's always going to be an uphill climb and I wouldn't get my hopes super high until we get a greenlight. Or at least a network deal.

>only stipulations he has are that Dredd does something and that Dredd never takes off the helmet
We don't deserve Urban.

Hmmm... a series with an ensemble cast where Urban does regular Dredd cameos rather than being the focus 24/7...

That could work really well actually

Too cyberpunkish. But for someone it may be a good thing.

They could make a tv based on some completely different judge of Mega City One, with original story not based on comics.
Judge DeMarco series?

>Hurr durr you can only talk about things once and then never again.

Neck yourself.

You can rather easily make an ultra-violent police/crime show out of it, with sci-fi thrown in.

Urban's done TV work before, he was in that robot cop show that only lasted a season.

its a tv show based on Dredd of all things, chances are its going to look and be awful if judging from the current trend of LA comic shows.

that said, what stories would you wanna see adapted, what characters do you wanna see and how do you hope it will look?

Personally i would love to see the Return of Rico, which is my favourite Dredd strip out of the whole run. Would love to see it shot with a kind of 80's watercolour ezquerra style in mind, full of bright neon mixing with grot and dirt. Something akin to Blade Runner i guess.

I swear it's one faggot going from thread to thread trying to be the fun police. Either become an actual mod or fuck off.

Then make it less like a comic book show and more like a crime show. More like SHIELD, Sopranos, or hell even HBO shows which emphasize on the setting, violence and boobs.

>SHEILD
so is that actually any good?

Its ok, nothing great. But its still miles better than most superhero/supernatural shows out there.

hey, makes it better then nothing then

I liked that show. Goddamn Fox always cancelling shit

R.I.P a real human bean

This is just Dredd and Being Human wrapped into one. I refuse to get my hopes up.

>that said, what stories would you wanna see adapted

The Day The Law Died
Pretty doubtful that they'd be able to pull it off, but it'd sure be interesting if they did.

Bump

Yes its possible

inb4

Karl Urban knows that people will recognize how based he is on his scowl alone

that show had such potential...fuck.

well, back to my only good Phillip K Dick adaption Total Recall 2070

It helps that Urban is a huge nerd and really likes playing Dredd.

>It helps that Urban is a huge nerd
this made me think he used to play D&D. so I googled it and yup, he grew up with D&D