Beast Wars

Can we talk about Beast Wars right now? I just finished watching the series recently and this shit was just awesome. It was my favourite show when I was a kid, but I only remember season 1 episodes. Season 2 and 3 were pretty unfamiliar to me so it was like I was watching it for the first time. First season was just as funny as I remember and I love the whole plot with the Aliens and how it started to take a more serious tone. Season 2 was excellent and my favourite of the 3 hands down. Season 3 was alright but I feel like the writing took a hit compared to the 2nd.

Somethings I personally didnt like was the Silverbolt/BA ship. I thought it was garbage and I couldn't stand anytime it got screen time. Tigatron/Airrazor was wayyy cuter. I also wasn't happy with the way Tarantulas died. When it happened I honestly thought it was a Waspinator silly moment and that he was just gonna back afterwards.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TsYortvV8zg
streamable.com/zooo5
youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I found it went down a peg after the Transmetal event.

All of a sudden they didn't need to be animals anymore outside due to energon exposure, the landscape was only barren rocks and shit, was overall just less interesting by one level out of ten to me. The best fight in the whole thing was the showdown in the floating island where Optimus and Megatreon re-enact the Kong vs T-Rex fight.

Tigatron and Airrazor had the least personality of all the maximals. Why do you think they got the axe to make room for more interesting characters?

>the landscape was only barren rocks and shit, was overall just less interesting by one level out of ten to me
I can see how that would be a turn-off. It's not like Call of the Wild and Dark Voyage were fantastic episodes though given their lush scenery.

Transmetals looked way better than the organic beast forms, it's a shame only a select few made the upgrade in show

>it's a shame only a select few made the upgrade in show
Weren't there fewer characters that didn't receive upgrades?
>Rhinox
>Waspinator
>Inferno
Fuzors were probably on par with the first generation transmetals, and the other characters were either slagged or revived as transmetal 2's.

Airazor, Waspinator, Rhinox, Terrorsaur all got Transmetal upgrades in the toyline

I understand why some didn't and why some were simply killed, but it would have been cool if they all got the upgrades in the show rather than just having the toys

youtube.com/watch?v=TsYortvV8zg

Rhinox didn't need an upgrade

I'm rewatching the series and I'm nearing the end of season 2. Its so great. The writing is really solid and I love that pretty much every episode of the season advances the metaplot at least partially (Transmutate is next and I think that might be the exception, if memory serves).

Its a shame that Beast Wars hasnt been touched in so many years. I know there were a few comics that IDW put out about 11 years ago, but they were really subpar. I'm a big Beast Wars fan and have seen the show multiple times and still didn't completely understand those comics. I think you needed to have seen BW Neo and BW 2 to get the full picture. I really really want them to put something out that continues the story from the end of Beast Wars, has them go back to cyberton and go from there (ignoring Beast Machines).

Friendly reminder that Dinobot and Rattrap were deeply tsundere and in love.

>Its a shame that Beast Wars hasnt been touched in so many years.
I don't get why people always say this...what is there to touch? Beast Wars, canonically, is part of the G1 timeline. It wasn't a stand alone series or some alternate universe, it was part of the pre established Transformers mythos, not a separate mythos of it's own.

> I'm a big Beast Wars fan and have seen the show multiple times and still didn't completely understand those comics. I think you needed to have seen BW Neo and BW 2 to get the full picture.
You didn't, All the IDW Beast Wars comics did was put the characters from Beast Wars who didn't make it into the show into the show's universe in a separate battle unknown to the show cast, things got a little weird toward the end but none of it is actually taking the Japanese shows as canon (at least I didn't take it that way), it just borrowed some characters and concepts from them since the toys existed, and the whole point was to fit in as many toy characters as possible, but in terms of canon the Japanese shows are entirely non canon to Beast Wars and the way I took it was that it was non canon to the IDW comics as well despite some concepts being swiped just for the fuck of it

I mean they used McDonalds Transformers in it, they were doing a lot of tongue in cheek fan stuff for it because why the hell not

Yes he did

My favorite TF show too, used to rewatch it with my younger brother on a yearly basis at one time. Still go back to it sometimes.
Not that it's without its flaws, but I feel it gets a lot of undeserved dismissal by non fans and casuals due to the visuals and some relatively weak episodes. For that matter, when I first discovered it, I also gave up on it early and hesitated to go back to watch the rest (though I'm thankful I did).

I had forgotten about Rampage and Depth Charge man they we're awesome. Love those shark guns Depth Charge has and the part where Rampage gets impaled in his chest and just pulls at the sharp rock screaming in pain felt pretty damn crazy and violent.

So, are you trolling or what?

>some characters had 3D models made but didn't make it into the show.

Because Hasbro said so?

Alright, here's an upgrade for him

There actually was a reason behind which bots went Transmetal, although the show never explicitly said it.

Simply put, everyone who had been on earth from the start had their frames mutated. The original cast. The exceptions, Rhinox, Dinobot, and Waspinator, were in the CR chambers/tanks, and were shielded from the mutating effects of the wave by virtue of being in the process of repair when it hit. Terrorsaur and Scorponok were both glowing when they fell into the lava, and even Tarantulas and Optimus changed, despite neither being in their actual body at the time.

I always figured the original teams had been on planet soaking up raw energon radiation juuuust long enough to cause some kind of reaction with the quantum surge.

What's that OP, you want a new Optimus Primal figure?

Here you go!

This shit? This shit right here? THIS is why we can't have nice things.

Whenever Hasbro DOES throw a bone to Beasties fans, they still bitch about it.

I mean, it's fucking season 1 Optimus Primal wearing his Optimal Optimus form as a power-suit, with his Transmetal hoverboard mode thrown in for fun.

It's literally all of his forms, minus the Batman-y and Laurence Fishburne-y ones, put together.

What the fuck did YOU want?

I think they wanted to flesh out the relationship idea

yeah and we never got bitch wars so thats a negative

That sucks I hated how Beast Wars had a small cast for both teams.

Never mind Mainframe seemed dead set on advertising the toys with the worst names at first

>Cheetor
>Dinobot
>Waspinator
>Tarantulas
>Tigatron
>Black Arachnia

I bet they were disappointed after they finished up Optimus Primal and then found out his name wasn't "Gore-Rilla".

The small cast let them have actual character arcs though. If the cast was, say, doubled right from the start and only got bigger, imagine what plot might have been cut out because they couldn't spare the time to explore one guy's motivations over multiple episodes.

The names are kind goofy, but keep in mind that one of the most prominent Transformers of all time is named Bumblebee. That pretty much sets the bar.

Bumblebee doesn't turn into a bumblebee

>>Its a shame that Beast Wars hasnt been touched in so many years.
>I don't get why people always say this...what is there to touch? Beast Wars, canonically, is part of the G1 timeline. It wasn't a stand alone series or some alternate universe, it was part of the pre established Transformers mythos, not a separate mythos of it's own.

While Beast Wars is a part of the G1 continuum and plays off of G1, even interacting with the characters directly to a small degree, the same does not apply in reverse. Watching a G1 type show does not really play off of any characters involved with Beast Wars, nor any of its story archs, nor even its setting (such as taking place in the same time period, ie far in the future after the great war[s] ).

And while yes, there are characters such as waspinator, ratrap, and black arachnia scattered throughout a few series here and there. They are not the same characters and really only reflect the original in name and general design. Their characters, especially rat trap, have little to nothing in common with their original characters.

Hasbro let the writers decide who lived and who died. Which is why they were going to kill off Waspinator but decided to axe terrorsaur instead because fans like waspinator and no one liked terrorsaur

He turns into a yellow and black Volkswagen bug. It's definitely an intentional pun.

Fans proving once again they have shit taste

I have his figure, unfortunately he doesn't have his light piping anymore,

Hasbro legally can't make a Bumblebee toy that turns into a bee.

Yeah but since Beast Wars is part of G1, how can you have Beast Wars without it

It would make absolutely no sense to have a stand alone Beast Wars series with no connection to anything, even less sense if it was supposed to be canon to Beast Wars

Are you implying Terrorsaur was worth keeping around? He was a second-rate Starscream made irrelevent by all the other treacherous predacons.

why the heck would you think that was trolling at all. i was being genuine.

Thats not the point. The point is that you can have G1 without BW. Tie ins to G1 from BW are great, its part of what made BW so lovable to begin with.

But saying that there have indeed been continuations of BW simply because their have been reboots/continuations/spin-offs of G1 is just silly.

And that wasn't my point, my point is what is the point of a Beast Wars series that is not connected to G1, or at the very least, a continuation of another G1 esque universe?

It would seem asinine to me, Beast Wars is asinine but it makes sense in the context of G1, what could a new Beast Wars series have to offer other than "they turn into animals and not machines"? Cause it seems to me that's all some people want, which is stupid

kidkino

Id like to imagine that Waspinator's transmetal form would be similar to TFA's version. Also I was a bit disappointed Airazor didnt get enough screen time. Should have killed off Cheetor instead

He had a transmetal toy, actually, so he would have looked like this. I like how his third mode is a jet- it's sort of a callback to the episode he was possessed by Starscream. He's even red!

Small Primal doesn't turn into a gorilla, and the Optimal upgrade is worse than the original OpOp.

He looks like an actual wasp then

At this point they just treat Maximals and Predacons as sub factions of the original big 2 trans tech era is dead

>Should have killed off Cheetor instead
streamable.com/zooo5

>the toys with the worst names at first

Thats because those toys WERE the first, with the exception of BA and Tigatron. And they were repaints of Wave 1 characters. Generally the 96 figures got adapted, with the 97 figures largely glossed over with the exception of Inferno.

>Cause it seems to me that's all some people want, which is stupid

Why? I got into Beast Wars cause they were beasts not because it was a G1 sequel series. I wasn't even born when G1 ended.

Well if all you cared about from Beast Wars was the "beast" part, you are indeed stupid. I don't think it really requires further explanation why, but I was born after the height of G1 being a thing but still got into Transformers before Beast Wars, my first TFs were G2 toys, but even so Beast Wars was still "my" Transformers show, it was the first new one I got to witnessed as it actually aired new episodes and most of the TFs I still have are Beast Wars figures from childhood, so I'm sure I'm a big a fan as you are but the appeal was always robots in disguise, not animals who talk

Its not the only thing I cared about, but the beast thing was what got me into it. Just like with Power rangers, I preferred the beasts to the vehicles. I'd later become a Transformer fan as a whole, but the whole organic beasts transforming into robots was so unlike any other transforming robot toy at the time it was unique. If they made a new series like that I'd be interested in it, even if it had no connections to the old series. We've seen the vehicle-transformer concept remixed thousands of times, but not the beast one.
Seems pretty stupid to judge people's tastes over something so basic.

Should have had another season so Tigerhawk's death wouldn't have been so wasted.

Dinobot is best boy!

supposedly, Inferno was gonna get his toy transmetal form but they had to choose between that and quickstrike.

>supposedly, Inferno was gonna get his toy transmetal form but they had to choose between that and quickstrike.
He did get his toy transmetal form, his name was Scavenger

I really like how Beast Wars felt like other syndicated genre shows of the time. In a way it felt closer to something like Star Trek DS9 or Xena/Hercules and the like than it did other kid's cartoons. the writers approached it as a Sci-fi show more than anything else, which helped set it apart from other toy cartoons.
To this day we still see that influence of treating Transformers as sci-fi. Really Transformers media falls into two archetypes, more or less, Superhero, or Sci-fi. G1 was totally a superhero show more than anything. As were the Japanese series. Beaat Wars, Beast Machines, and Prime? Sci-fi series. Animated, superhero series, easily. The movies, sci-fi, albeit lightly. RiD 2015, Superhero series. The IDW comics, sci-fi. Elements of the other bleed through, but ultimately they lean in one way or the other.

Is this still worth watching, has it aged well? Didn't have tv as a kid and missed roughly everything. Looking for any recommendations for shows up to the early 2000s. Only thing I've really seen is SpongeBob which has god-tier writing.

>drills

Don't watch it if you're cynical about anything before your time. You will inevitably make a thread about how the humor bugged you and the CGI was outdated despite it being made in the mid 90s, so do us all a favor and don't watch it if you're a cunt

All Transformers is scifi, the G1 movie was Star Wars

Anything is better than Waspinator.

Humor is subjective though, and has nothing to do when a show was made.

Humor is like anything else, it goes through trends. Beast Wars humor is not modern day humor, Beast Wars humor is similar to what you might find in Joe Kelly's Deadpool, sure there is drama and darkness but it's broken up by cartoon antics and slapstick

Most kids these days can't handle that, it's a 90's thing

I really disliked many of the deaths on the show too. The bots are pretty much recyclable and can rebuilt all throughout the series. Season 3 puts a stop to that in the last few episodes. I guess, if no one rebuilds you....you're dead. Then again robots are effectively immortal, just transfer to a new body, as optimus did and dinobot did..?

No, they dropped the idea because his toy didnt sell. Worried a future toy wouldn't sell, they dropped it. The toy was already gonna get released anyway, but they didn't want it to be "inferno" . So they renamed the toy to scavenger because barely anyone bought inferno.

Should have kept both of them and ditched inferno. These two were great together.

Slapstick isn't a 90s thing.

No, but wanting shows to be MUH ACKSHUN and MUH SERIOUSNESS is very much a 00s kid thing because faggots were raised on anime

more of these?

Or they just prefer humor that isn't bad slapstick.

>No, they dropped the idea because his toy didnt sell.
I'm actually surprised to hear this. Was the price the concern? I remember him being my favorite of the bw toys mainly because of how much larger and detailed he was than the others.

Christ, that character arc was stupid
>I hated myself and what I was! And I hate everyone!
>lol, sorry, bro! I was wrong and a bit crazy! Keep up with the hippie shit!

Wait, what?

>and the Optimal upgrade is worse than the original OpOp.
Speak for yourself.

Inferno was originally going to be Megatrons new body

Ok, so don't watch Beast Wars. Now we're back to square one!

Inferno was the sole toy in his case. When they bought a box of his size class wave, he was all there was.

>Should have kept both of them and ditched inferno
How many years did it take you to major in Shit?

Final one.

There were also transmetals for
Cybershark and Iguanus.

>They killed Depth Charge off
My ten year old self was beyond mad.

>Hating on Inferno the best bot.

Fuck off and die.

Considering how well all the deaths were handled and the characters dying how they lived and/or completing their mission, I don't see why that would upset you. Tigatron, AirRazor, Inferno, Quickstrike, Terrorsaur, and Scorponok were the ones that got shafted

Well, Airrazor and Tigertron came back as that transmetal fuzor, didn't they?

I think it was a cop-out since the fans of BW that were still watching were pissed about what the writers did with Rhinox.

Maybe it has something to do with the stasis pods.

>Take it straight to the Pit you sickening piece of slag
Shit was fucking intense!

>ctrl + f
>no WAR WAR! STOP IT
youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM

You know, aside from waspinator, i think inferno was the only bot who was shown to be able to pull himself back together, i mean he was decapitated in one episode and just put his dam head back on.

Tarantulas.

Terrorsaur is an annoying Starscream proxy. I'm glad they ditched him so this series didn't have to be 100% old gen Transformers.

Didn't he get his bot things to get his body tho?

god dam it was meant for

GARBAGE

EVOLUTION REVOLUTION

BEAST MACHINES

Inferno's S2 death would've been a much better conclusion than what we got in S3.

I wish Airrazor & Tigatron came back as Transmetals rather than the stupid Tigerhawk shit.