Golden Age Cartoons

I recently became curious about Golden Age Cartoons, I got the Platinum Collection Looney Tunes Bluray and also the Tom & Jerry's Gold Collection. but i want toa dquire more releases but i am very unaware of this type of animation, some help? recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

metricstore.blogspot.ca/2012/02/tex-avery-cartoons-dvd-set-1942-1957-5.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk
desuarchive.org/co/thread/94955178
boomerang.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just go with Bob Clampett.

The Droopy theatrical collection is a must.
Fleischer Superman
Popeye if you can stand mostly black and white

>Fleischer Superman
This so much

tex avery and hanna-barbera?

try popeye and superman

Agreed with but you can't find the whole of Tex Avery's work outside of Laserdisc and TV production DVDs.

I should know, I looked for the whole collection and actually purchased official dvds used for TV Broadcasting of those cartoons used in the UK. Luckily it was usable here in Canada and they shipped it all the way to me.

Its 480p at best though for much of what I received. Wanted that 720p (or higher) of Red.

>official dvds used for TV Broadcasting of those cartoons used in the UK
Know where I can find that? I've wanted dvds of the Tex Avery shorts for years.

I think this may be it: metricstore.blogspot.ca/2012/02/tex-avery-cartoons-dvd-set-1942-1957-5.html

If it is the very same DvD set I purchased than it has some older cartoons by Avery as well. I'm talking old, ones I didn't even know about even.

Just scanned the cover of the DVD Collection. Looking at it, it would seem that the collection being sold is the same. It isn't the same level of quality found in the Droopy Collection.

Also, as I said previously you'll find older cartoons in there (1930s stuff) that has some of the older skits from his MGM days in there.

>I'm talking old, ones I didn't even know about even.
Like what? All MGM stuff?

1930's was pre MGM, we're talking Universal studio animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=sjdnCC6n4xk

So much of what made Superman iconic came from these cartoons. I love them so much.

I hope someone records Lonesome Ghosts when it airs tonight

Does anyone know a torrent of every WB short from 1930 to 1969? It's hard to find shorts not from the Golden Collections now.

Look up Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies HQ Project.

And this is an official release? That website makes it look like a bootleg. I'd like to know more about the quality before spending $50 on it.

All the shorts on disc 5 are Looney Tunes shorts he did before leaving for MGM.

>Look up Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies HQ Project

Fuck those morons for cutting the intros/outros because 'nobody cares who made it', cropping the frames and using censored sources.

I'd rather watch shitty VHS rips.

There's a thousand shorts and less than half of them are on dvd. A lot of it is just working with what they have because some of this shit is hard to find. Make your own torrent if you think you have better copies.

we had a thread about this 2 weeks ago that went into this in good detail, I'll repost it in a minute, for now here's the thread itself;

desuarchive.org/co/thread/94955178

The guys behind it admitted on KAT that they cut the intros/outros because they didn't care for them and therefore no-one should.

Fuck that, i like to know and see which animators made which shorts just like a lot of golden age fans. It's literally unforgiveable. Stuff like using the censored version of shorts when the uncensored is easily available is also really lazy.

>Make your own torrent if you think you have better copies

My time is better spent sending feedback to WB for an eventual golden age cartoon streaming app.

>The Golden Collection is definitely the way to go. While the Platinum Collection is in HD, it only has 150 shorts compared to the Golden Collection's 356, and of those 150 shorts only 34 of them are not available on the Golden Collection Collection.

>I would recommend also buying the Looney Tunes Super Stars DVDs. Two of these sets, "Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy" and "Bugs Bunny: Rascally Wabbit," are just re-releases of shorts previously available on the Golden Collection, so skip those. The rest of the sets have a total of 113 shorts with only 12 of them already available on the Golden Collection.

>Note: The first two sets, "Bugs Bunny: Hare Extraordinaire" and "Daffy Duck: Frustrated Fowl," have all of the post-1953 cropped in widescreen.

>Buying both the Golden Collection and the Super Stars sets will give you a total of 469 unique shorts and will leave only 29 that are only available on the Platinum Collection.

>There's also a box set collecting the full runs of Sniffles and Hubie & Bertie and in the fall, the complete Black and White Porky Pig.

>Oh yeah, I forgot about that one! It includes 30 shorts with 5 of them already being available on other collections.

>I'm fucking hyped for that! That's what the Golden Collection should have been. It'll include all 99 Black & White Looney Tunes Porky shorts plus 2 Color Merrie Melodies Porky shorts, and they're all in their release order. Of the shorts included, 39 are available on other collections.

1/2

right leg looks like a penis

>Between the two, the only real advantage the Platinum collections have is that they're on blu-ray and there's a small number of shorts on them that aren't in the Golden collections. Most of the special features on the Platinum collections were also carried over from the Golden collections which probably has more overall.

>All of the shorts included in both collections are uncensored so don't let that be an issue.

>I think what it boils down to is whether you want more content or you want it in HD. And for what it's worth, these are theatrical cartoons that look good in 1080p. And WB is competent with how they remaster stuff unlike Disney.

>If you're collecting Looney Tunes, there's no reason not to get the Super Star dvds because they are very easy to find cheap. They recently started putting out 3 packs of them that you can find for $10 in most places.

>There's also a public domain blu-ray of the WWII Private Snafu shorts that's worth getting if it's still available. The Golden and Platinum collections only had a couple of them.

>Hopefully the new Porky Pig set does well to warrant more releases.

2/2

>My time is better spent sending feedback to WB for an eventual golden age cartoon streaming app.
Here it is.
boomerang.com/

Did they cut the intros for the shorts? I never took the time to watch through every single short but I noticed the ones that came from dvds were left as is and I just assumed the ones that didn't have them were because they came from some old public domain tape that didn't have them. That does suck if they edited them out intentionally.

I know they weren't paying attention to whether shorts were uncut or not and I can understand why because again, there's a thousand of these.

Either way, the torrent is a few years old and needs to be updated with better quality versions of the shorts that are on the Boomerang app and the Porky Pig set coming out from Warner Archive later this month. This is still the only collection of every single short that I'm aware of though.

Someone is going to record it right? Might end up being better quality