/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #405

Thread Not Allowed Edition

Welcome to yet another thread of How's Your Webcomic?! Here you will learn which methods are and aren't allowed in the webcomic craft. Not that anybody cares but hey.

Previous: Not Found

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
capeworldcomics.com/comic/magical-woman-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Sj8Ocwjc&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

The 5th hyw challenge is close!

>MAIN THEME: Giants
>SECONDARY THEME: (choose one to play around alongside the main theme!)
-Skies
-Terrorism
-Board games
>DEADLINE: September 15

Remember that you can play with the theme as you see fit, we want to see how creative you can get!

I wonder how many entries we will get this time

let this be the last

Afraid we're standing out this round to work on some other stuff. Best of luck to everyone entering though.

Also, a preview of the next part of the Magical Woman text story Shika in Croatoan.

It's probably not going to make a lot of sense if you haven't read the first part at capeworldcomics.com/comic/magical-woman-1/

Shika knew that there were no “real” seasons on Croatoan. There was no sun to orbit and no axis to wobble on. The weather was always the same, never too hot and never too cold going back to the War of the Crosswinds and the Nimbus Accords.

Aeons before the first Puritan forefathers arrived in Croatoan the two great houses of winds, the hot Swells and the cold Drafts battled for supremacy. It took hot air and cold air combined to raise the wings of birds and scatter the seeds of plants, but would Swells command Drafts or would Drafts command Swells? The debate led to the centuries long War of the Crosswinds that devastated the surface. Swells and Drafts clashed in violent storms and grappled in enormous tornadoes. And it was the surface that suffered as victors and vanquished alike were hurled to the ground.

Seeing that neither Swells nor Drafts could overcome the other and the destruction they had wrought upon the surface the great houses of winds ceded their authority to the surface dwellers under the Nimbus Accords.

Because the surface dwellers lived within a small sliver of existence between the crust of the earth and the skin of the sky their demands would be made in ignorance of the millennia of disputes and feuds that carved up the endless miles of sky. They cared only for their crops and their livelihoods and when they looked up the sky they did not see the invisible winds and their invisible borders. They saw only unbroken blue sky, whole and unified.

And that is what the sky became under the rule of the surface dwellers. And the weather was always perfect from that day forward.

The weather was always perfect in Croatoan.

And it never stopped being perfect. Which deeply vexed the Puritan forefathers who remembered fondly on the seasons of Earth. No matter the supernatural wonder around them they never forgot the snow of winter, the leaves of fall, the bloom of spring, or the lazy showers of summer. And so, once peace was made with the native forefathers and the empire was established and the modern Croatoan form of magic was codified at More-Trial, the Croatoans went about introducing the seasons of Earth to Croatoan.

During the reign of Emperor Makepeace Freegift More-Trial’s best thaumatergists were charged with re-creating the seasons from the memories of the Puritan forefathers. Inventing the mechanics of the seasons was no challenge. It was certainly time consuming to draw up schedules and maps and make sure the winds understood them, but it was no challenge. Croatoan thaumatergists are excellent bureaucrats. Nor was it a challenge to carry out the mechanics-that was the easiest part of the entire task. The manipulation of hot and cold is simple even for Croatoan youth too young to be trusted yet with a dreamstaff.

What was a challenge was getting the various elements of Croatoan to go along with the seasons. Water had never been rain and the plants were never rained on. And snow was something the thaumatergists could only explain through example. But the thaumatergists were up for the challenge. They were the Empire’s elite not only for their magical prowess but for their diplomatic skills. They knew the true magic behind words unalloyed with magical properties.

Winter proved to be the most difficult season to replicate, and knowing this made Shika appreciate the winter landscape she saw all the more. For in coming together to overcome the difficulties in creating winter the Croatoans had created a beautiful, living symbol of their harmony. Though it was based on Earth’s winter Croatoan winter had elements all its own born out of the compromises and innovations required to create it. When Empress Kijutsu was born on Christmas Day in the heart of winter the Croatoans took it as a sign that she was destined for great things, for winter was the greatest of all the seasons of Croatoan.

Try as she might Shika couldn't help but compare the winter of Croatoan to the winter she knew back home in Japan where the snow melted off hot metal buildings and the stars

She started to feel uncomfortable and out of place again like a dustbunny on a beautiful oil painting.

Shika threw her head back and looked to the stars. Maybe she could lose her thoughts in their dancing?

And that's the preview, don't want to take up too many posts.

What do you think thread?

I'm always amazed with all the work you put on worldbuilding man, keep this up

actually they're getting cheaper. you can get a relatively big one now for like 300 bucks, albeit a lesser brand.

posting a sketch. have more for anyone interested.

also finally up for expressing the story concept as well. even if im not fully done sketching out the pages.

lol, 5 out of 5 pages done. That wasn't supposed to happen so fast and I still intend to update this weekend, but I'll see if I can add a few more pages as long as it works.

for some reason this looks like how some rugrats characters would look if drawn competently

I feel like my comic needs to be more funny or exciting, it's hard to do that when I'm caught up in coloring and stuff.

yeah there's not a lot of funny here, but on the other hand you did draw the kanji for sake properly. you're getting the mood across, and it's a mood I like. Just work on being funny. you can workshop jokes in here if you want.

continuity, intentional ripoff, a fix for a past mistake, a mildly funny meta gag, and the story moving a little forward. It's gettin' there! now I just have to work on making the planned finale less boring

godspeed user!

Are the entries going to be posted itt or the next thread?

In the thread that is active at the time

How come there isn't a "HOW'S YOUR CARTOON?" or something along those lines for animated series? Unless there is, and I'm just blind.

Because most people don't make cartoons that often.

Funny and exciting are both qualities you need to achieve long before you start thinking about coloring a page. Don't move on from your sketch or thumbnail or whatever before it WORKS.

Because it takes a lot more effort to make a cartoon than a comic and as a result nearly nobody bothers trying to do it solo.

Michael Terracciano, is that you?

I tried to make it more exciting with a random car crash

had to google him, hmm, what makes you think that?

my website looks like shit, any tips to make a good one? The wordpress comicpress theme is balls.

This art style screams "Dominic Deegan" to me.

>I tried to make it more exciting with a random car crash
How many Levels of irony are you on?

zero, he's dewd jr

god I hope your comic ends with another girl character doing a piss blast, that would be hilarious.

ooh, or a menstrual blast! that'd be REALLY funny.

Bumping

Thank you! I'm trying to make a world with as many interesting corners in it as Marvel and DC's worlds and I think I'm off to a good start.

I don't want to spend too much time with Japanese superhero tropes, but I've been thinking about doing a super sentai thing down the line. I want to do something where each member of the latest sentai squad is hanging out with the predecessors of their respective colors. The blues hang out in a dive bar. The yellows go bowling. The reds sit in a command center and talk strategy. The greens work on each others' mechs. The pinks gossip about relationships.

I'm thinking "JSA+Super Sentai". It's about passing the torch and previous generations helping the new deal with all the anxiety that comes from saving the world.

New comic page coming Friday by the way.

>each member of the latest sentai squad is hanging out with the predecessors of their respective colors

you should do a short Comedy Strip about this

How hard is to get featured on webtoons?

Because there's a lot less people who make full cartoon projects on Sup Forums than people who make cartoons, and since cartoons take longer to work on those threads wouldn't have enough content to stay alive.

we have always allowed those to piggyback on these threads

There is a lot of potential for comedy with the idea, isn't there?

Start with the Reds giving the new one speeches on honor and duty and never giving up-then cut to the Yellows eating curry and pizza while playing vidya.

I'd say Appeal and a steady fanbase are more important than actual Quality to be successfull on webtoons or any "open" Comic site for that matter.
Of Course webtoons has some good Features but just as many garbage Comics that happen to be popular but would never be published in print outside of pay-to-publish schemes.

That's the entire Crux of online Publishing of art in General: the removal of Editorial paractices and barriers allow unconventional art to flourish but also reduces the average Quality of works significantly.

So if you care more about exposure than Content I'd advice you to create something pandering to a large but specific audience: like a Tumblr socially relatable Comedy Comic or a Basic sci-fi themed Action Comic with lots of Boy characters directed at a female / fujoshi audience.

I hope you don't capitalize so Randomly in your own Comic

I don't really know anything about power rangers / super sentai but I think I understand what you're going for. Just remeber that the joke will get worn out fast and if you want to expand beyond a few short strips you'll have to come up with a plot which can be very tricky in a Comedy Setting.
Also concepts like These have been done a Million times of Course but seeing how well hishe are doing with their super cafe Thing I think it's worth a shot.

I'm using [Spoiler]German[/Spoiler] Microsoft edge atm because it's the only browser that will stream netflix with proper Quality (this is actually true, no joke) and I can't be assed to use multiple Browsers simultaneously. Edge is so broken I don't even bother to look for Solutions to Problems like this random capitalization.
Sometimes I think edge and Windows 10 are just practical jokes played on the Population by bored Silicon valley billionaires.

I was wondering about that, I know Deutch capitalizes nouns, but this seems not to be doing that.
I fail to see how using multiple browsers is NOT the lazy man's choice though. Also I've never heard of Edge before, it's unthinkable to me that microsoft would put out a second browser

Microsoft Edge is Internet Explorer's replacement, it came with Windows 8 or 10, can't remember which one.

I tend to use lots of Tabs so adding multiple layers of Browsers on top will just get confusing. Edge is just a re-brand of the Internet Explorer, maybe it was only marketed as edge in Germany?
German does capitalize nouns but using english, some Explorer autocorrect function just puts them wherever. Most of the stereotypes about Germans and their language ring very true, grammar nazism is a pretty real every day phenomenon and German Amazon for example only makes the crappy Dubs for most of their films available, withholding the original Audio and making about 2/3rds of the German Amazon prime Streaming library worthless. Which makes Netflix a better Option in Germany I torrent most Content but sharing Netflix with roomates is extremely cheap and convenient for Shows

Time to wake up, Ms. Rohbutt.

Is this character from the gay / crossdressing comic you're doing?
The arms and legs look too long but maybe it's the perspective.

Cool

Your art is really cute and easy on the eyes.
I like it alot dude

I'll be careful. I think it would be a very comfy way to show off some off the wall sentai concepts I've had like a team who invert the standard fight monster monster grows fight in mech formula. They're a sentai squad of robots who fight the monster first, then when the monster explodes and covers the area with mooks they send down hard light fighters of themselves to decontaminate the area.

They're from that time in anime where mechs and rock and roll were a thing for some reason (Dancougar, Macross, etc) so they're band themed. They're a band of giant robots. Their mech carrier looks like a stage and their lasers look like a lightshow.

Also there's a goofy baseball themed squad. And I'm amazed it hasn't already been done before. Their mech is their team's mascot.

yes and no, same basic character, but the one in the gay romance comic is a clone of this guy, who's the mc of the fantasy comic i'm doing next

so i'm guessing he's your husbando?

i mean, not really, but sure, insofar as he's one of the main characters in the fantasy comic and the clone is the mc of the space opera

Trying to establish a style for this shit

hey yall i just finished a brand new page, and heres the video to it to: youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Sj8Ocwjc&feature=youtu.be

Why do all spic amateurs have to produce such abismal shit?

>do a silly drawing about a what-if scenario of pokémon.
>the idea begins to grow on me and decide to explore it making it simple small comics with continuity on my artblog, nothing too serious on effort really.
>by the third update I start getting follows and people even being happy about a new post
>even got a couple messages about how they like the character's interactions so far and that my style is cute.

I mean sure it hasn't exploded on popularity nor anything, but this is the kind of small details that warms my old bitter heart.

Too many Dragon Ball Z and El Chavo del 8 reruns. One after the other.

oh, I almost forgot, I fixed the previous page to. I forgot to add eyeshadow to Vanessa the newly made vampire who used to be a fury that roleplayed as a bat. yeah. lol

uh racist much? lol, just kidding i dont care lol

im not admitting to anything but you could be on to something...

Still laying out the script and finalizing the cast
Got a general sort of look for mc's magic, hoping color will help it look more like energy and less like goop
Tablet on its way
Doodling in the meantime

>nobody is allowed to use pose references

yes, you certainly have found a picture pose similar to mine

>nobody is allowed to post pose references

>They're a band of giant robots
heh, this is great. You have quite a few interesting ideas and don't get this the wrong way, but I think your art isn't good enough (yet) to pull them off. For flashy concepts especially, execution is very important and if the drawings are subpar the whole thing will fall flat on its nose. I'm only telling you this because I think your concepts have potential but you should take a considerable break to work on your art or try to find an artist to collaborate with...

>"don't think I don't see it" .jpg

>everything is mean and accusational

Watch yourself because I'll embarrass your dumbass right now, little bitch.

Well I think I do okay

>making fun of racial minorities
>"abismal"

I try my best even if I know is not the best.

kek damn it

>mistakes happen and the people who make them are perfectly happy to apologize for the incorrect accusation as long as the accused admits it did look kind of bad

thot?

>stupid fucking text and its inability to portray inflection subtler than italics and caps

Fuck off paisas

Stands for "That Hoe Over There" if I recall correctly.

begone that ho over there?

i'm white

only 0.1% white, bones. fuck off

QUICK

Come up with the name of an antagonist on the fly.

Give the one from the post above yours a motive.

I'll start.

>Silas Harkin

sounds like some asshole with a fart fetish
what about
>Festerchild

>festerchild

son of dubious child archbishop of the fourth crown and air to the throne of damascus.

Cleatus turk

And motive is he wants his fathers crown epic fucking shit

A man born in the rural southern united states whose father got a job in Istanbul and joins up with ISIS.

>Cornelius Armin

>Cornelius Armin

An intelectual who was humiliated by another guy who doubted his researches and opened an investigation that showed he was making shit up. Now he is working on a slow revenge plan that will destroy the lives of the people who he feels wronged him. Thing start getting out of hand when his hatred grows into hating the whole world who will not accept his genius.

>Ariadne Truman

Fuck sorry wrong reply

>Ariadne Truman
13 year old teenager girl that has insecurity in her own self and lives to make the protagonist miserable by killing off each one of their beloved beings forcing her to commit suicide by 2 weeks or let her see the perishing of everyone she ever cared for

>Poopy McPoopface

In a world where people can bend any element, this guy was stuck with controlling shit, which made everyone mock him and making him an outcast. He is just a poor minor villain who uses his personal life frustration to throw shit at the hero.

>Charlie Salford

>Poopy McPoopface

39 year old man who was once literally shat on by his best friend in a prank gone wrong. Because no one would stop laughing at him for suffering this emberassing incident, he decided to own it, change his name to Poopy McPoopface, and turn having shit on your face into a hip new trend. He forcibly shoves fecal matter on others faces in hopes it will catch on.

>Sylvester the Unbathed

really though, i just find it funny that you can't even English right when you're trying to mock the beaners

German is the superior language you dipshit

you say, in English. Name something Germany's done besides lose and become a giant pc migrant fest

This is a fun discussion and creative exercise

¡elimina esto!

more please

posted this one (cropped to just show the girl) before but i guess i'll show again since it seem to not get much attention the last time.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but since around July i've been busy with an idea that i've had, anyway the idea is these two twins the one on the right with the afro is named Jessie Pride and the one on the left is Kelly Pride and together they are the Pride Twinz. They are basically well known Vigilantes who protect the city of Brightward from criminals, villains and so on you get the idea. I'm still working on the idea but yeah that's the basics of it, the problem is though is that i'm not sure if I should turn this into a webcomic series or into a short web cartoon series.

Webcomics are less effort, so if you're in doubt, go with that.
>series
Do yourself a favor and make it a short one. You're inexperienced with both storytelling and art, so odds are you're gonna make huge mistakes. You don't want to be stuck drawing another five hundred pages after you realize your story's foundations don't work very well.