JSA Storytime: Howard the Duck

Good evening owls,

This is great

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20020815054620/http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/features/99564488180361.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=537MurkV2uU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ah yes, the ever lovable Howard the Cuck.

lol

Well Dark Matter books are apparently finally solicited... about 3 months later than originally planned lol
Making sure Lee and the others can draw 3 issues in a row, I'm guessing

Still no sign of Top Cat damnit

how are you owls tonight?

these scans are a little blurry but they have character. also, proof that opera is always on-topic in these threads

Hey, make sure you see this here:

to make sure we get the correct Gerber Howard experience.

Also found a top notch interview with Gerber for Howard MAX:
web.archive.org/web/20020815054620/http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/features/99564488180361.htm

>Given the current political, social, and cultural climate, I had no worries in that regard. The situation in the U.S. now -- a dork in the White House, the country split down the middle politically, every form of popular culture from music to movies at a creative nadir, and so on – almost exactly parallels the state of things in 1975. In that sense, the time has never been more appropriate for Howard's return.

Pretty good.
Excited for Wednesday, at last.

it ain't happenin chief.

I finished Young Liars, and it was completely nuts.
I wonder how much of it was real[, and how much of it was just misleading/spoiler].

OP, have you read it before?

I haven't; I haven't read any Lapham because crime drama is really not my genre 99.5% of the time, which means I also haven't read any Bru non-capeshit

I think that the two best theories are
1. Danny had an alien parasite and the spider we see was it and the adventures were him rallying against it from the inside

2. It was just a dream and like the ending page shows, Danny goes back to his life as a sex clown for the Brownings.

It's been really warm and humid the past couple weeks, and it's driving me crazy. It's usually either hot and dry or cold and wet here, so everyone around here's been thrown for a loop.

Extreme future shock vibes from this shit.

Mystik U eventually happened, Mage happened, there's hope for everything

I'd sell you all into slavery for Prez: Second Term, tho

Dang it.
Well, at least Scooby Apocalypse ain't cancelled yet.

Did we ever get Eagle Free?

lol that first panel

I have to deliver some homework tomorrow and I've done like zero work on it lol

Prez is overrated garbage.

still waiting on Seaguy Eternal

Where is it, Camstew?

I don't like Russell's views on Prez Rickard, which was ass backwards, but his take on Boss Smiley was top notch

I'm easy, I lost it at the obvious Zizek joke

I thought it was good but Flintstones was better so I don't need more

I don't know why that spoiler tagged the last bit, but I'm glad you checked.
Honestly, it barely counts as a regular crime drama and turns into something a bit different (I'm being intentionally vague)

I like that it was ambiguous, and might actually prefer option 2 because I was not expecting the genre shift

That top panel tho

I don't mind it.
Lapham likes to do a particular, almost formulaic, dynamic and the series never lost sight of that.

Sincere + satirical isn't as easy as it looks IMO.

Okay, that's fair, I'm often more interested in a genre-bender/hard right turn

Brubaker's crime is... nothing special.

everything about this is great, seriously--it's of its time but very self-aware about what it's playing with and serious enough about itself to be satirical

>Would a star spawned turnip lie?

I'm questioning everything now

Prez actually is overrated. Only smiled twice at it, I think. Flintstones was much much better.

Trust me, if I told you what the backend of the series is actually about, you would not remotely believe me.

I found Bru's crime dramas kinda samey.

Scooby Apocalypse was the best of the HB books.

Bru does a very staunch, but I find well made, modern noir and crime outfit.

Lapham is very much of a mix of early Tarantino/Coens school of ideas.

I agree. I was also disappointed in Dastardly & Muttley.

Can't spell Sup Forumsntrarian without Sup Forums I guess.

I think that was a lot of potential, unless it goes south like his Secret Wars mini.

This predates Moores Swampy right? That's funny

I get this feeling if this were run to day there would be a lot more fourth-wall breaking and characters pointing out how ridiculous everything is.

I had a hard time getting in to Criminal (I think I only read two volumes), but loved The Fade Out and Fatale (but that last one was a supernatural thing).

Does it improve after the first few issues? Prickly genius stereotype Velma was tired.
The art is nice.

>using contrarian unironcially
opinion discarded

Less racy jokes, too.

It starts becoming more and more of a surprisingly played straight survival comic, and Giffen/DeMatteis start stretching the limits of what they can show and stuff like that.

It's got a tight story as well, which helps matters.

I think the only Criminal story I didn't enjoy was Lawless.

anyone read Zdarsky/Quinones? Chip's humor, for me, is just that touch too dry/absurdist and not mean or extravagant enough.

I don't know, man... You can't start with a page like THAT and then go completely straight for several pages. I guess the hospital conversation was kind of fun but nothing to genuinely make me laugh.
Unliklistan, Ahuk-Ahuk-Harem, Unstabilium... and then you think having a guy named Dick Dastardly is too wacky. Ugh.

I always knew vegetables was evil.

The first two issues or so. It sucked ass. Zdarsky is not a funny fellow.

True, the first issue was janky like that. But I'm willing to see if it can settle itself. The nugget is a fun premise

There was one panel in the first issue I loved because it was actually mean (the one with Spidey breaking down about Uncle Ben), but most of his jokes, meh

This page, this page was made for OP.

the stemming on the notes on this page makes baby Jesus cry

>M-MOMMY HE USED DA MEAN WORD!!! WAHHH!!
lol

Damn didn't expect to relate this much to a hideous possessive turnip from outer space.

That devious vegetable

Brubakers Criminal: Last of the Innocent is the best Adult Archie riff

Man-Thing and Swamp Thing were created essentially simultaneously, Conway and Wein attribute it to being roommates for awhile.

that's what's so great about these weird Gerber comics, they're completely #relatable

btw we're off tomorrow so save all your new comics feels for Thursday

Encyclopedia Brown got putz'd though

Jesus CHRIST Gerber.

Yeah but I was talking the hallucation turnip and Moores tuber drug trips

V true

It's only a 6 issue mini, isn't it? Wasting an entire issue on set up like that seems wasteful then. It's also playing into expectations because Dastardly and Mutley could've been so good and Ennis on writing sounded so amazing. As it stands the first issue wasn't particularly funny or unique. Hell, a simple "drat, drat and double drat" when they were crashing would've made me laugh.

I actually wonder if it inspired Riverdale.

He made a Faustian bargain with a malevolent cosmic vegetable. I love this comic.

Uncle Bea and Batman parents jokes fail to make me smile. They're so overdone, I've heard them all already.

>54 minutes later

>corner of Mary and Jane

Marvel was really forgiving of people dropping full pages of text in the late 70s weren't they? Starling did the same in Warlock.

>cockblocked by bad puns

Relatable

So Disney at least looked at this and said "what the fuck", right?

Well, it had to be on their mind when he became a mouse

>Script for Duck #2 in the trash.

I want a Donald/Howard crossover.

It took awhile for Disney to become aware of it, but when they finally did and Marvel ordered that the design be changed, since Gerber was both writer and editor he just ignored it for years.

Luckily nobody at Disney read comics and they never would have become aware of it in the first place if Howard hadn't become a phenomenon.

Yeah and they told that duck to put some goddamn pants on

RATMAN

>shout-out to Starlin at the end here

Shame the movie isn't as crazy as the comic. I mean, it's pretty batshit in some places, but it's kinda generic in general.

I love that we're just going on a tour of every genre the 70s thought was fucking cool

BRB, the sunset is really pretty and I wanna look at it

Anons, my friend found out about the Spirits of Vengence mini and I didn't have the heart to tell him it's probably going to suck, he was too excited for me to deflate his excitement, have any of you managed to get your friends to transition from following characters exclusively to following writers and artists?

Slap him and tell him to stop being a characterfag.

Generally in entertainment I don't think it's worth it to force that sort of thing. Just eventually he will complain about the quality then you can suggest your method of looking for new stuff and he'll adopt it or he won't. Being a pleb is not the worst thing in the world.

I never wanted to see a duck's moobs.

>deep fried foods

I miss transfats.

Wiki has a surprisingly good distillation of it:

>Howard's adventures are generally social satires, while a few are parodies of genre fiction with a metafictional awareness of the medium. The book is existentialist, and its main joke, according to Gerber, is that there is no joke: "that life's most serious moments and most incredibly dumb moments are often distinguishable only by a momentary point of view." This is diametrically opposed to screenwriter Gloria Katz, who, in adapting the comic to the screen, declared, "It's a film about a duck from outer space... It's not supposed to be an existential experience".

>having friends
lol

But no, even my super sophisticated friend who only like a small handful of comics still is guided more by characters that interest him, though very few do. So far he's read every issue of Daredevil and every issue of the Question, along with a couple of Alan Moore things, and that's basically it. It's quite interesting that he's read literally hundreds of issues but of only a couple of characters.

I'm trying desperately to get him to read Foolkiller because it's perfect for him but he just hasn't gotten around to it.

This is nothing true and unfortunate.

fucking mosquitos fuck

Is this on purpose?

It's weird reading this when you've mainly read stuff that obviously draws from it.

LIVE A POEM

Sonny Chiba is awesome

youtube.com/watch?v=537MurkV2uU

Writers and artists love sneaking stuff like that in so probably

I feel like it's making so many things make more sense

this is making me really want kung fu movie night at the Alamo or something

The "Ha Ha Bob Harras" book spines is the best one ever

lol think about this page in line with . Hot takes for days.

>I wish to touch this meat female

Who wouldn't?