What are some good horror comics?

What are some good horror comics?
I've only read horror manga and I don't really know what to read for western stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

unomoralez.com
e-hentai.org/g/69375/40a4d739ef/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I consider Punisher Born as a bit of horror comic in a way. Especially that ending.

Hellboy (more pulp adventure at times, but still great)
Mnemovore (if you can find it)
Gerry Conway's recent Carnage is quite good, you just have to put up with a couple superhero cliches and a rushed ending.
There's a recently-launched series from Image called "Redlands" but only one or two issues are out so far. I've got it on order, haven't read it yet, but it looks promising.

Severed

Swamp Thing
Hellblazer
Grendel kinda
The Demon

horror anthology series flinch has some cool stories but also some stinkers

Read any comic by Al Columbia.

Black Hole

Anything made by this guy

I'd consider From Hell a horror book, it has a really oppressive and unpleasant feel.

Also Wytches and Winnebago Graveyard

Well horror isn't always supernatural.

American Vampire
It's been running on-and-off for quite a few years now, so it can be a bit off at times, but overall it is very strong.

>That chapter in Uzumaki where the fat kid gets bullied and then turns into a slug
>Then his bully also turns into a slug and then they have weird gay slug sex and lay eggs
>Then the teacher steps on the eggs and also becomes a slug too for some reason
This was a weird manga

Tbh Junji Ito's stuff isn't that weird when it comes to Japanese grotesque horror.

That legorobot comic where the dude turns into a monster.

pretty hot. who made this?

unomoralez.com

Providence by Alan Moore

don't listen to the capeshit plebs

What are the essential Lovecraftian works I should read before jumping into this?

I don't even know if it can be called horror, but Beautiful Darkness.is the only comic to ever make my skin crawl.
Comics are a bad medium for horror.

Nothing because it's shit just like everything related to Lovecraft.

Enrique Alcatena has horror stylings that compare well with like, Miura and Kago and Ito but overall I think this is a genre manga does far better than US comics. Harrow County is a fun book at least.

the art of horro in comics not like manga i read some horro comics but they focuse only on blood or gory

Beasts of Burden is surprisingly good.

thanks

Still no Chilling Tales of Sabrina mention yet. Fucking shame the release schedule is fucked though. The art is fucking amazing.

Also, Hack/Slash from what I read was alright. Art is kinda inconsistent though.

Fuck off reddit.

Crossed

>LE LEDDIT XDD
You fuck off and go lick the rotten penis of your hack writer alongside Moore's wrinkled talentless dick.

Hack/Slash is super-inconsistent. As a fan, I don't recommend it to people who want straight-horror, but people who like action and pastiche with some bite. Again, art and tone are all over the place.

No.
OP, do not listen to this man. You know how those flashes of gore and violence in Event Horizon were so chilling and gut-churning despite only being visible for a fraction of a second at a time? Crossed is the opposite of that. It's awful.

Feel sorry for the MC's bf, he wanted to cut out from since near the beginning but the MC just kept acting like a dense bitch

Hack/Slash is not horror at all. It's a parody of/love letter to slasher flicks most of which are bad and can hardly be considered horror but have some semblance of bad movie charm. The comic captures that perfectly.

Honestly it has to do more with like Victorian literature as a whole than with Lovecraft specifically. This sounds like a pretentious answer, but the book is constantly drawing on early 1900s art, culture and history. If you must read some lovecraft it's helpful to have read Beyond the Walls of Sleep, Shadow Over Innsmouth and Dumwich Horror.

This thread has been disappointing. Is this another thing that Japan is just better at?

This actually got me back into zombies recently. Loving it so far. The overly brutal nature of the Crossed gives the entire series a really good atmosphere where you're constantly reminded that there is an army of relatively smart serial killers out to torture you to death for hours or make you one themselves through horrible rape.

Japs have never created anything actually scary.
Giallo master race. Americucks and Japs can fuck off.

Read EC Comics and learn some god damn history

Obviously Italy has contributed a lot to horror, but I've read plenty of deeply unsettling manga

Overrated desu. Good when you're 6 years old and read it at night with a flashlight in your hand, pretty dull when you're an adult.

Check out:
>Sabrina
>Afterlife with Archie
>Swamp Thing
>Man-Thing
>Underwinter
>Marv Wolfman's Dracula and Warewolf stuff
>House of Penance
>Stokoe's Aliens Dead Orbit is horror like Alien is
>Harrow County
>Hellblazer

I don't think Japan does it "better" per-say but I think American comics Horror is more about the viscera and the aesthetic. It's more indulgent in camp and more invested in reveling in what a horror "feels like" moreso than what it makes the reader "feel like".

For the most part.

I've only read two really horrifying comics:
>Nameless
>Providence

I will never understand why people find those even remotely scary.

THIS?

I've read most of those, and you're right, they're more interested in the horror aesthetic than being frightening.

Lovecraftian horror has two sides to it: the incomprehensible horror side and the mythos side. For me, incomprehensibility isn't equal to horror (I think this is more of a cultural thing with Westerners who value their individuality more). I like the mythos side of Lovecraftian horror, how such incomprehensible beings would organize. I also like the doomy athmosphere of many of these stories, especially Providence, where the protagonists are so fucked it doesn't matter anymore (which can be kind of liberating).

But for some people, having no significance in the universe is a nightmare and that is what the Lovecraftian horror represents.

any chance for scans ?

Have you read Saga?

That thing is repulsive as hell, yout won't sleep again

>being better at genre fiction
>implying that's some achievement
Lmao nigga what are you even doing.

>a-america doesn't even want to be good at writing horror!
lol k

Pretty sure this is just a shitty board

If you're responding to In my opinion that's trying too hard and ends up being a mix of funny and edgy at best. It's like browsing /x/ or watching a bad ARG on youtube.
Maybe I'm just too desensitized.
As for Providence, Moore took whatever subtlety of horror Lovecraft had in his works and replaced it with something more overt which doesn't sit well with me at all.

agreed
if Sup Forums likes something it wont be spoken about
so precious snowflakes can feel superior by withholding knowledge

Am I the only one who just can't get scared by books and comics?
Horror doesn't work for me when you're actively controlling the pacing as you experience it.

>unironically reading genre fiction
>implying filtered shit is somehow more virtuous than unfiltered shit
Read Gekiga and stop being a fucking brainlet.

Just the opposite, Sup Forums has incredibly pleb taste

Stop encouraging shitposting retards, you dumb faggot. Ignore or report.
This thread is shit enough.

Is it hard for poor baby to read?? awwww

I'm not disagreeing with you here, but it's preposterous to come into a thread about a genre and have your only contribution be to say that the entire genre is shit. Everyone who reads significantly reads genre fiction, too.

That reminded me of this for some reason
e-hentai.org/g/69375/40a4d739ef/

I love when two cretins from 2 websites full of the same brand of cunt, argue as if one is better than the other hahah. they are both cesspools idiot.

>Moorefags/Lovecraftfags are incapable of making any arguments beyond inane shitposting
This is why no one takes you seriously.

Spread
Clean Room
Caliban
Severed

If you actually think they're equivalent, you should stay on Reddit

I enjoyed Uzumaki back in the day. I am still sad at the passing of Pulp.

What's your favorite Ito story Sup Forums?

Al Columbia is probably my favorite "horror" artist, but he's only ever released a handful of comics

That's a nice Shintaro Kago image.

>Everyone who reads significantly reads genre fiction
When genre fiction is more about introspection with messages about cultural and social consciousness and not bound by formula, it transcends the local boundaries and becomes genuine. Only those kinds of genre fiction should be indulged into unironically. Horror is like lowest of the low and only concerned with instigating basic human sensory. All that said I've read a lot of things that have been recommended in here that are good for what they are, you could read them instead of trying to start a dick measuring contest. Read Wytches, Moore's Swamp Thing (stops being horror after a while), Hellblazer, some EC stuff for starters.

Probably the one where the guy gets his head cut off by a fortune teller and he has to keep it attached manually or he'll die.

>instead of trying to start a dick measuring contest.
That's rich coming from you. Fuck off already, pretentious retard.

I haven't read Wytches, but I've read the other three, and they're just not impressive as Horror. I also think it's ridiculous to say that a story is bad for having its primary focus be the inception of a singular emotion. That's David Lynch's entire MO, and it works.

The first few chapters of Black Paradox when it was all about their doppelgangers

Be honest, user. Are you samefagging and arguing with yourself or are you really enough of a complete moron to respond to shitposting faggots who fellate their dick by whining about genre fiction and use terms like "brainlet"?
I really want to know.

The other side of American horror comics seeming so sparse is that a vast, vast majority of them are written as short miniseries or one-shots, and rarely get collected. There's also the fact that most anything that isn't Superhero shit is lucky to sell 10,000 copies. There's a lot of great stuff in some guys longbox or shelf somewhere, but unless you got to snag it as it came out, lots of good western horror comics verge on being lost media.

I like talking with elitists, their recommendations are usually up my alley. I'd much rather discuss media with people who are excessively discerning than people who will gobble up any old thing

Because god forbid there's any inbetween.
Yes, you are every bit as dumb as I thought. Please fuck off and stop shitting up the thread by giving annoying cancer attention.

The only thing more obnoxious than 2 equal but opposote idiots is the idiot who thinks he's less of an idiot.

Oh, and recommendations of elitists 9 times out of 10 tend to end up being garbage by the way.

The only thing that really makes me sad here is that I know your opinion is the majority on Sup Forums, which is the main reason it's a Sup Forums tier board.

What the fuck is wrong with you idiots? You have no identity, nothing to preserve, what the fuck are you arguing for?

Most comics are "genre" fiction so unless you're out here reading Chris Ware, and Fantagraphics shit exclusively I don't think anyone on this board can shit on genre fiction. Even the high art comics shit is deeply interested in playing with/talking about genre fiction and its place in popular entertainment. It's a pop-art driven movement inherently ffs.

Holy shit, this faggot gets more and more retarded with each post. No, you fucking retard. The main reason Sup Forums sucks is one half inane shitposting and waifufaggotry and one half elitism bordering on contrarianism with a shred of "there are only two extremes hurr" that you believe is so valuable in a conversation, so you are the reason this board is garbage, so I recommend you kill yourself and spare me the frustration of dealing with someone as idiotic as you are.

This is the worst horror thread on Sup Forums I've ever seen. Usually they only get bad when I instigate things by my controversial opinions that tend to upset people. This time I didn't even have to do anything.

We can only hope a janitor can come along and bitchslap these whiny assholes.

Nice "argument"
Remember, it's down the road, not across the street.

What's the name of that one creepy shoujo horror manga that was so scary housewives complained and the mangaka was forced to tone it down?

I, too, am interested in knowing what this was. Do you know anything more about it?

God, I hate women so much.

I didn't realize you had read any of the stuff. Try Wytches, 30 days a night, Locke and key and House of Penance for conventional horror. Try Black Hole, Delphine and Ghost and ruins for more experimental stuff, Black Hole is the best. Try Archie horror series and American Vampire for more pulpy stuff and try anything by Mignola because of the art.

It's the same for me as well. Film will always have the edge in depicting horror over other media because of its ability to exercise control over the audience.

Music is a far superior horror medium for me than anything else.

>unless you're out here reading Chris Ware, and Fantagraphics
Well I do read a lot of that though.
>Even the high art comics shit is deeply interested in playing with/talking about genre fiction and its place in popular entertainment.
I don't know what you mean but a lot of academics and interesting written works are about alternative, whether it's from America, Europe or Japan.
>It's a pop-art driven movement inherently ffs.
Yeah, that's sadly the ideology of almost everyone involved.

Also try Providence and Nameless just to see how Moore and Morrison tackle horror themes days.

It's an anthology narrated by the ghost of a girl who killed her bullies. Most of the endings are pretty damn dark. Basic storylines generally go.

>Middle school girl does something sorta bratty but understable for a pre-teen, or is just unlucky
>Malevolent supernatural being(s) stalks her
>Usually ends with a sadistic death or fate worse than death

Tbh her reluctance to believe the town was cursed and that they should get the fuck out of there was believable for first couple chapters (guy goes mad and gets obsessed with spirals and his wife becomes deadly afraid of them is something that could possibly explained away as mundane) but after that whole classmate gets devoured from inside out by a spiral and father having an oven where he burned up human souls incidents you would had to be brain dead to stay in the town.

Preacher
Spread
Hellblazer
Outcast

Nailbitter seems ok as a Silence of the Lambs type of story but I've only read Volume 1 and it hasn't got scary yet.

It's definitely horror. Just very unconventional for the medium and genre.

This. It's horror in the same way Cabin in the Woods is horror.

Any horror manga recs? Besides Junji Ito, obviously.