>character is "trapped" in a cage
>the spaces between the cage bars are visibly wider than the character

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hSrE6pqNnns
youtu.be/QhEWKSoAQdg
youtube.com/watch?v=PyNfzB_D_rc
youtube.com/watch?v=4LCHnKNlswM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>character realizes he could have just slipped out AFTER some extremely difficult break-out

>the character takes note of this and just steps out once their captor leaves

>character steps through the bars so he can easily pick the lock, then steps back in and escapes normally

Fuck, that has and will to this day bug me.

The difficulty of having everything be 2d and flat but wanting your characters visible from the bars

>team of characters put in cage
>one of them is a skeleton
>they suggest skellie bro goes through the bars because hes so skinny to get keys so they can escape
>skellie bro gets stuck between the bars
>team makes fun of him

>Villan comes back to an empty cage and in a fit of disbelief goes inside the cage in order to look for the character. Cage door shuts.

Did Hal really have brain damage back then?

Visibility lads.
Were the bars shown to be too close together it'd be harder to make out what's going on inside
Let the 'tism slide for this one

Worst. Lantern. Ever.

Didn't a Spiderman comic do that? He was the teacher for the Xmen Special Class and they got locked in a cell by Sauron. One member, Goop I think, is a slime based mutant and they all hyped him up to slip through the bars. He gets stuck halfway through because they forgot his skeleton structure is still intact.

Glob Herman.

>Character is locked in a cell that is obviously not on ground level.
>Dig his way out (with a spoon)

>Character: "We have 30 seconds left!"
>2 real-life minutes pass
>Character: "We have 10 seconds left!"

>character tells the villain how to capture them in a cage and helps them construct said cage

>character discovers cage is made of weak material, i.e. ice or wood
>breaks a single bar and walks out to the utter astonishment of the villian

>character is trapped in a cage
>the spaces between the bar are visibly wider than the character would normally be
>character is made extra wide to compinsate
>character could still fit through the bars anyway

>Character is trapped behind a cage that is ONLY indestructible from the inside.

>Cage is being guarded by someone who can literally explode by just an utterance of a word.

>its a babysitting episode

Why don't cartoons just do this instead.

Why was Hal suck a fuck up half the time?

If he's the best latern it's no wonder the corps is shit

Almost every instance you see of Silver Age Hal doing something retarded is actually explained by mind control or some other story gimmick. Why Gardner Fox made Hal the target of these things more than 90% of the time is a mystery, but in this specific instance it's simply to justify how Owlman can be a threat to Green Lantern.

I know, this ruins the fun myth of Hal being an idiot, but in my heart of hearts, he really is that dumb and the mind control/brain drains are just excuses he comes up with to protect his ego.

The fuck is even happening here?

The animators just showed his face clearly instead of having the net cover it in the foreground

because is retarded

>Antagonist is about to fight the protagonist
>Cartoon is on a kid's network
>Can't say kill
>"I'm going to destroy you!"

>soldiers can't kill other humans
>resort to androids or robots

>Villain traps the Hero via social constructs.

Pic unrelated, surprisingly. "Ooh, BETTER idea! Nab the jewel AND kill them all!"

It looks like his face is clipping through.

This applies more to anime in my mind.

>"I can only maintain this form for another minutes
>5 real-life minutes pass by
>Character is still in that form

>the cage is trapped by the character

>5 MINUTES SO THAT THIS PLANET EXPLODES.

>"Earth will explode after 5 minutes"
>1 whole episode explaining the plan with characters reacting to it.
>10 more minutes of dialogue.
>Characters fight
>"Now the Earth only has a minute now."

The DBZ Frieza nuking Namek took:
10 episodes
3 hours (roughly)
100 lines of dialog
for those wondering

But Finn just easily slips through the bars after convincing the guard to defect with him

>tournament is supposed to be 45 minutes
>literally 10 episodes of 22 minutes of fighting each
>ONLY 34 MINUTES ARE LEFT
>LESS THAN HALF OF ALL CHARACTER ARE ELIMINATED

What you niggers are forgetting is that we're still experiencing it through the characters' POV. With all the adrenaline and excitement, of course shit is going to feel way longer than it actually is.

>Characters moving a gajillion times faster than sound at all times
>Slowed down so that the audience can comprehend

If the Namek fight was all in the fighters perspective they mustve been moving at lightning speeds
youtube.com/watch?v=hSrE6pqNnns

I find this is a weird one.
In Dan Vs, for example, they use the word kill plenty of times, but when used in relation to the actual act of killing, they shy away from it and Dan uses "cupcake" as a joke and explains around it.
Gumball does it too, Nicole has a line saying "I'll kill him", but for the most part they're not allowed to use the word.

Anyone know what the wording on the censor is? It never seems to be consistent

Are they talking faster than sound too? Because fight scenes aside, the speaking scenes last longer than the time limit for most 'X is about to explode' scenes.

>every cartoon that does this acts like they're the first cartoon to do this joke

youtu.be/QhEWKSoAQdg

i think writers have just kind of accepted that this is how mustache twirling villains are supposed to talk, censorship or no censorship

>Door starts to close
>Initial closing is really fast, by the time the characters even start running it's already like 2/3rd's closed
>Despite the running taking like half a minute the door basically didn't move until they get through it
>Immediately closes the rest of the way in like a second

Let's be real. A lot of the time there are inner monologues which could easily be addressed as only taking a split second in real time.

>they shy away from it and Dan uses "cupcake" as a joke and explains around it.
That was different in that episode Dan was trying to frame Elise's dad as apart of the Mafia and used "cupcake" as mafia slang.

>Flashback episode
>Flashback contains events that the character flashing back would have no way of knowing that happened.
Happened in Adventure Time's Joshua and Margaret Investigations

>character who you would expect to be of average intelligence at best is surprisingly sophisticated and intellectually inclined
>bonus points if they try to hide this

youtube.com/watch?v=PyNfzB_D_rc

Took me a while

Yeah I know, I just couldn't be bothered explaining it. The point is within the Series, they say kill plenty of times, but even when Dan was explaining what "cupcake" meant to the officer, he skirted around saying kill explicitly like they weren't allowed to.

It seems cartoons can only use it when they're not seriously talking about killing, and are saying it more passively or in jest, but what's weird is they can use it

IIRC one time during banned autist-summoner show someone actually threatened to outright kill the main character, but was censored to "destroy" in all future airings.

>character mistakes another character's old mother as an imposter and starts harming her

>Indestructible door
>Flimsy door frame

>Character returns after apparently dying
>*GASP* I thought you were...
>Doesn't finish the sentence

Nah this actually bothered the fuck out of me.
And I love Hakyuu

>character(s) are doing something
>hear noise or whatever
>run off to hide
>seconds later enemies show up

I fucking hate this.

So were the bad guys looking in the opposite direction? Were they not looking at them as the approached?

I mean, it's not particularly difficult to make out their faces if they didn't do that.

I remember being taken aback at the rug episode of Gravity Falls where Dipper and Mabel are fighting over who gets to fix the roof and she just screams "I'LL KILL YOU!"

>Whole series shows one of the characters having a power or at least some ability that would easily make certain situations do nothing
>Except for one episode where they fall into a situation that they would normally be able to get out of in a second, but just seem to forget they can
>Not even some half assed excuse, they just kinda forget they can easily escape

>Parody Episode
>Can't get the most simple facts of what it's parodying correct.
>Deconstruction Episode
>Doesn't get the point of what it's deconstructing

Looking at you Vindicators.

>Main badguy has a PG way of elliminating characters
>This would allow for potentially interesting drama
>Every time he has them captured he foregoes this for a more temporary option like making a robot duplicate or brainwashing them

I just... why?

That one time it was played as a joke but there have been times in the past where people were in a jail or cage and easily could have slipped out of they wanted to

>they mustve been moving at lightning speeds
yes this is literally why they include wide shots where the characters are just faint motion lines darting around the screen, they ARE fast

Goku was moving so fast against Vegeta during their fight that from Vegeta's perspective Goku was fucking teleporting, and that was just the Saiyan arc, when they were a fraction of a fraction as powerful as they were during the final battle on Namek

youtube.com/watch?v=4LCHnKNlswM
Skip to 4:24

cough destructo disk cough

>a villain is embarrassingly incompetent for an entire series to the point where it stops being funny and it just becomes annoying

>the final villain does something to gain the upperhand in one episode
>the episode is 1/2
>the next episode things go back to the status quo

>any cartoon on a kid's network uses "death" as a threat in the event the mc loses

>a villain manages to consistently lose to a group of teenagers of whom he/she is thrice their age

>a group of teenagers/kids has one magical heavyweight who carries them in every fight
>the only way to add tension is to temporarily disable the heavyweight in some way
>it wears off in the episode it's introduced in or its done in part 2/2

>group of 4
>leader: guy who's egotistical
>guy with the power of some form of heat/element
>loud guy who is young/has a high pitched voice or the voice of reason who stops hotshot from fighting leader
>girl, power: girl

>show has time cards
>one time card's time is the exact amount it took to show the time card

>That episode of the Powerpuff Girls where Buttercup's being chased on foot by angry townsfolk.
>Pauses and asks "Wait, what am I doing?" before just flying away.

>main cast is so powerful that the only way to add tension is to take away their powers for 1 episode

>a comedic villain is shitty at his job, someone better than him arrives, he now must fight for good
>he reverts back to evil at the end

>a cartoon points out its own faults, but proceeds to make the same mistakes over and over again

>member of a team becomes evil for an episode or two
>the main cast must save him/her
>they save him at the end
>status quo

>show is rebooted
>old show was hand drawn
>new show is animated in flash

>show is down to earth
>that's not zany enough for the kids
>random sperg moments occur because they pitched the idea to a kid's network

>adult cartoon
>lots of jokes about shit, farting, vomitting, sex, anything you'd get punished for talking about when you were 13

SHORT

wait, fuck, what is this?

FairlyOddParents reference

This honestly doesn't happen much in current shows nowadays. Star VS., a TV-Y7 show, actively uses the words "kill" and "death" all the damn time. It's only really jarring if you watch stuff like AtLA which was made in a time when that was an issue.

This. Even Harvey Beaks of all shows used the words "die" and "kill".