Finale of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated

I think it's time we all set the record straight. For anyone who hasn't watched SDMI, go WATCH IT instead of reading the spoilers ahead.

When the finale to this show aired, Bioshock Infinite seemed to be fresh on everyone's minds. So many people jumped the gun and immediately assumed that the gang had been teleported into a different universe and that Parrot Cthulhu ate everyone they knew. Many walked away from the ending feeling and I quote, "depressed and empty".
Looking at the bizarre fiasco that was the end of Samurai Jack S5 reminded me there'd been a retroactive reset ending before, and this was one of them. But it's clear the ending of Mystery Incorporated is not as grimdark as Sup Forums believes.
>There's no point when anyone refers to time as being anything but a linear process.
>In fact, people who say "alternate universe" are getting it wrong since Velma specifically called it "alternative histories and futures".
>And creating a different timeline meaning a new and separate universe is not founded in anything stated in the show itself.
>"By destroying the entity, it was as if the entity had never existed" suggests a retroactive change of the past.

Like, I get why people would make this mistake. A lot of popular culture subsribes to the "infinite timelines/universes lol" trope, but there's nothing in SDMI itself to suggest it. The only thing we know is there are other dimensions and that removing an observable eigenstate such as the Entity during Nibiru results in its probability amplitude having ALWAYS been 0, similar to the waveform collapse of a photon going through a Nicol prism. The gang were exempt from the break in causality due to the confirmed real power of friendship and Ellison was aware of it by being one with the meme.
Really, it's a happy ending. Why was Sup Forums so depressed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jPl5kKdp-Mg
youtube.com/watch?v=fdmtSN1qpwY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because the most interesting part of the show was the relationship the gang had with people outside of their group. I didn't care about the dumb relationship issues within the group, they were all scumbags to each other, and I couldn't even feel the "true power of friendship" mumbo jumbo they were trying to give off at the end.

And now all the better bonds that they had made with people outside of the group were gone, and impossible to build them back to how they were due to the reset changing so much.

But I thought most of Sup Forums liked the ending from what I've read on threads.

Even if it was just a rewritten timeline instead of an alternate universe, it doesn't change the fact that the people they know now are vastly different from what they remember. Most of them are essentially new people who they didn't even get the change to bond with.

I never thought the ending was THAT depressing, though. They still saved a lot of lives and still undid the evil done by the Entity. They just got so immersed in solving mysteries that they couldn't cope living in a place that didn't have them. Alongside the fact that the people they knew were like strangers and that they were close to graduating from high school anyways, they felt it was time to leave for greener pastures.

Besides, it's not like there's no mysteries left to solve, as the tease with Miskatonic University showed. It's really more of a "and the adventure continues" kind of deal.

I never understood why Sup Forums seemed to tolerate (if not necessary like) this ending while absolutely despising Gravity Falls'. I mean, at least that one didn't UNDO THE ENTIRE FUCKING SHOW.

For starters, both seasons of MI felt better paced. Gravity Falls had an obvious change in plans halfway through the second season. MI didn't waste time on last-minute filler before the finale.

Also, MI had consequences. Yeah, they undid most of the show, but the gang (and Harlan Ellison) still remembered everything that happened, and as mentioned before, they basically had to leave behind the versions of the people they knew. Meanwhile, GF had Stanley make a touching and poignant sacrifice, only to undo it minutes later via Deus Ex Scrapbook.

I didn't hate GF's finale and wasn't as disappointed as Sup Forums was with it, but I can see why MI was better received.

It didn't undo the show, the gang underwent significant character development and were the active element necessary to change the world for the better.
On a meta level you can think of the Entity as an infection of grimderp that had seeped into the Scooby Doo universe that had to be excised so that things could become what they should've been in the first place, but the main characters have nonetheless been hardened and tempered by their struggles.
Also it's just an overall great ending, I don't see why you're butthurt.

When the finale came out people made it sound like all those characters WERE dead and the new ones were clones. It just seems like people were making each other miserable for no reason.
Feeling disconnected from everyone you know can feel strange and uncomfortable but it's not the same as being surrounded by a reminder of all the people you failed to save.

>Meanwhile, GF had Stanley make a touching and poignant sacrifice, only to undo it minutes later via Deus Ex Scrapbook.
Stan's sacrifice was FAR from the only impact the finale had. Everyone just focuses on it for some reason.

The reconciliation between Stan and Ford, and their subsequent voyage together, would not have happened without the events of the finale, for example. Neither would the entire town finally recognizing the Pines and all they had done for them.

I'm just saying, there seems to be a serious double standard between shows here.

>Manzifags still mad that Alex broke up with her
>mad that Pacifica didn't become important/end up with Dipper
>mad that Mabel didn't properly apologize

Velma is STACKED

This is an SDMI thread, shitface. Go make your own.

OP here, no need to be a faggot. Velma is stacked in Mystery Inc as well.

Post a pic then, so we can... evaluate your claim.

Have you seen the OP?

Oh fuck, touché! I didn't bother to open the full-size image, since I'm pretty familiar with the show in general.

Be Cool sure is something.

Yeah, something shitty. It should never have been greenlit.

I think a lot of us where just amazed a Scooby Doo cartoon had a lesbian get gunned down Jin Roh style

One thing that annoyed me is that Daphne's sisters all turned into sad losers in the new timeline.

Like they weren't really bad people or even that bad as siblings, so to have them torn down just to build Daphne up more felt unfair

youtube.com/watch?v=jPl5kKdp-Mg

The animation and character designs are atrocious - looks like something from Family guy - but the stories and gags are great. I'm conflicted.

The evil entity made their lives so great to make Daphne seem like an even bigger loser by comparison.

The animation isn't Family Guy tier, but it's not super great either.
youtube.com/watch?v=fdmtSN1qpwY

You sure it wasn't the fact that she hung around with stoners that did that?

You know people always shit on Daphne for being useless, to the point they just made her Harley Quinn in Be Cool to compensate. But has anyone considered that the solution should be an increase in difficulty?
So far:
>Fred has leadership and trapgineering
>Velma has intelligence and a deep well of knowledge
>Shaggy is athletic and good bait
>Scooby is a powerful dog (when applicable)
>Daphne has slightly above average passive perception
But consider, MI managed to bring out all these elements by upgrading the threat. Yet, when was the last time a Mystery Inc member was actually wounded? Never! If they did, Daphne could be the field medic.
I for one think that healers are criminally underrepresented in current media and Scooby Doo needs to do the brave thing, fight the patriarchy of damage dealer scum and provide a positive image that empowers disenfranchised healers everywhere!

that episode had Shaggy/Velma tease if you wear some shipper glasses

like a scooby animu isekai shit?

I only chose that specific example because it showed how, despite MI literally rebooting the universe, it still had less status quo and anti-climax than GF.

Actually, thinking about it, the town literally making a law to never mention the events of the finale, or acknowledge the supernatural at all, felt like a bigger "fuck you" to the viewer.

>Actually, thinking about it, the town literally making a law to never mention the events of the finale, or acknowledge the supernatural at all, felt like a bigger "fuck you" to the viewer.
How the fuck? That's literally retarded.

They still remember, and if someone leaves the town they could easily talk about it with no repercussions (though whether anyone believes them is another story).

Oh God, this show was so good. I was so disappointed with "Be Cool Scooby-Doo" after watching Mystery Inc. I mean be cool went back to the old school "one monster a week" strategy every episode for themselves (not to mention the style of the cartoon)... So is there any hope for anything like Mystery Inc coming along once more?

No, like why do the gang never suffer any injuries? Ever? Bruises, cuts, concussions, painfull shit. Stuff you'd need someone to actually administer aid to improve action economy.

that was my real issue with mystery inc at the end, the gang all hating each other and Velma becoming more and more insufferable every time she shows up.

man i'm still salty they took my ship and made it "The Bad Ship.".

Also the mysteries sucked

user, I hate to disillusion you but some people are just not a good fit. If you have to make Velma devoid of personality or a doormat to make Shaggy/Velma work, it's not a good ship.

Alternatively, Apocalypse Velma and Shaggy are a hot ship because she's such a bitch

I saw most people calling it a more or less reboot at the end and not really an alternate universe or anything.

That is just the way the board, and sometimes the internet as a whole, works. People like to exaggerate to make an outcome seem worse than it is. Some people were completely different now that events happened differently so they act as if that person was dead and buried somewhere. It is just best not to take what is said so literally.

I donno, man, shit got pretty dark on this board. There were people implying the gang were going to commit group suicide because they didn't belong / there were no mysteries left. Was Sup Forums just in a really bad place back in 2013? The talkback thread about the Dandyman episode was really bitter, for instance.

Was this show the pinnacle of Scooby Doo? I don't think it can ever be topped, they explained why Scooby can talk for fucks sake

>devoid of personality/doormat to make it work

That's completely correct. But it's also not a good idea to make her bitchy and manipulative to MI levels either, otherwise it just becomes a mess. Not that user, but I think there are other personality traits from other incarnations they could emphasize that could make the ship worth while.

>Scooby Doo Apocalyse V/S is a hot ship

As much as I dislike MI Velma/Shaggy, I agree with this completely. the scooby doo apolocalyse bitchiness is just right. She has a reason to be be a cynical asshole/ has always seemed to be a cold person and this can nicely be countered by Shaggy's optimism. I can see them growing on each other with Velma becoming less cynical and Shaggy becoming slightly more so in a good way.

>they explained why Scooby can talk for fucks sake

Yeah, because that's what makes this great. Explaining that.

Humanity owes itself to go even further beyond, especially considering Mystery Incorporated gave us everything we could possibly need to build an even better series. We have a setting, we have a myriad of in-universe connections to horror fiction, we have large body of secondary characters. Wasn't there a thread the other day exactly about this?

Just one of the many things that made the show great. Giving goofy but interesting lore to the universe, like elder gods driving people to dress up as monsters and commit crimes

Yeah, because that's what needed explaining.

Can it, autismo.

>needs everything to be explained to enjoy things
>calls others autismo

But, like, doesn't it though? 40 years in, could be nice to have some reason for the basic premise of the franchise.
>muh silly cartoon
Your face is a silly cartoon. I take my pulp detective stories very seriously.

>doesn't it though?
Why would it?

>So is there any hope for anything like Mystery Inc coming along once more?

I don't know if anything like it, but the producers have moved on to other shows. Mitch Watson did Beware the Batman and is wrapping up All Hail King Julien, which got to Mystery Inc-levels of crazy in its latest season. Vic Cook is doing the new Stretch Armstrong cartoon.

There's another Scooby cartoon coming out with the same voice actors as Be Cool, but we don't know much about it, just that they were recording since April.

>same voice actors as be cool

the only new addition was Kate Micucci.

>walk outside to get my yearly breath of fresh air
>look around the street
>realise it's nighttime
>A massive fucking tarrasque shows up out of nowhere with this barely legal redhead in one of its claws
>"Zoinks!" some stoner punk shouts as he waves at this normie in an ascot holed up in the tower. "I think he's, like, heading straight for that house!"
>"This is going to be awesome!" the normie yells, and pulls a lever.
>A large, serrated disc made out of a shiny, teal-coloured material cuts the tarrasque in half
>The redhead screams but is caught by a perpendicularly launched net that intercepts her mid-fall
>Chubby, barely legal lesbian walks out of a nearby corner, scans the area, and notices me
>"Hey there! Would you like to know the answer to the mystery of the rampaging tarrasque? It's a guy in a very large costume."
>A brown dog the size of my hambeast girlfriend (who I'm now pretty sure is a dog in drag), currently in the net, takes off its red wig while the real redhead steps out of a flower-power van to open the tarrasque.
>The dog says "Ruh roh! These tights are riding up my ruttrore!"
>I walk back into my house, confident that I don't want an explanation for anything I just saw.

>it's a Scooby fights lovecraftian creatures episode

it's a kids show. if you want blood then maybe lets pitch it to cw then

which is why bcsd continues to be the best presentation of gang relationship

I still haven't watched the show. Does the main cast retain their memories at the end?
>inb4 go watch it

yes

What was the reason for Scooby being able to talk in MI? I forgot.

His ancestors had sex with eldritch abominations

He was an alien spirit from some galaxy. That's why all the relevant animals can talk. Also destiny is predestined but somehow it's not because of the wild card.

He ate a tablet that was made from a dictionary.

Pretty much this. It's more that the aliens used animals as their medians to interact with humans, and it caused a lingering effect. So Scoob and Paracles have the gift of speech.