Faithful adaptation

>Faithful adaptation
>Stylized CG that captures a lot of 2D charm
>Includes all forms of animation in the film, including a 2D and stop-motion scene
>No one cares and Despicable Me 3 makes a billion dollars instead

Being Dreamworks must be suffering.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VYAlLcT5Lfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That sounds great and all, but the premise is kinda gay.

You're gay

Dreamworks didn't market it, they chose to not make it a big deal for some reason

I watched this the other night and I loved it, more then I thought I would.

It's a surprisingly sentimental film, makes me wish I was as close with any of the friends I made as George and Harold were. I loved the art style too and the puppet scene had me bust a gut.

Honestly with how little they marketed it, it did pretty well

>Two separate papers
>Same No.
Literally unwatchable.
It was pretty fantastic though.

This, I didn't even know this was a Dreamworks movie. From how it was marketed I thought it was from some smaller studio.

It inherently works better as a book since it was literally about making comics and that was built into the story itself.

I'm out of touch but do kids now even care about Captain Underpants

It was big when I was a kid but I'm not sure now

Yeah I never liked the concept of Captain Underpants

I don't know, it didn't gel for me.

It went too sentimental to be a farce but was too farcical to be taken seriously.

>CGI cartoon
>Super exaggerated cartoony artstyle
>Super-realistic lighting, shading, and post-processing effects
Modern CGI was a mistake. Late 90's/Early 00's CGI is unironically better.

Because that's the designation for a classroom change form.

there was some theory over on Sup Forums that they intentionally put it up against stronger movies so it would flop and they wouldn't be pressured to make it a franchise. Like the contract for the series said dreamworks had to pay a pretty significant portion of the profits to one of the other companies involved or something?
eh, don't remember

The problem is the source material. They did it FAR too late. Captain Underpants hasn't been relevant to mainstream kids for sometime and there have been huge hiatuses between the later books, so nothing to even keep kids interested.

When I was a kid, I remember actually asking my Mom to take me to the book store to get the new one I heard had come out. If this movie was done, around 2004-2006, it would have been far more popular with kids. Probably enough to get a tv-show spinoff, and possibly a direct to DVD movie.

The only thing, in recent history, that did what I think the Captain Underpants movie was aiming for was Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and that series started when those books were at their mainstay.

Has there even been a popular book series for young kids recently? I know with older kids and teens, there was the Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, and that ilk, all those YA Novel Series, but what kids books are relevant to them anymore? Are is that a thing of the past?

220 is the form type number just under "Classroom Change"
Talking about the 83941 id in the upper right.

Harold is grows up to be a gay dude

I really enjoyed this movie. Not enough to warrant going to the theatres (I wanted to go, just didn't have the time). So glad there are hq streaming sites out there. I was hoping to torrent it, but someone streamed it before a torrent could get out.

actually the issue is that Dreamworks is switching distributors, so it's current one screwed over Captain Underpants as a middle finger towards DW

although really CU didn't even do all that badly, and indeed it still has a couple countries it hasn't released in yet

Tablet games. Hence the angry bird movie. Shit like wayside school and Junie B jones are a thing of the past, my man.

And yeah, they were about 15 years too late on this shit. I was rather confused when they announced it, since these were a thing when I was a kid and haven't been for a long time.

>Captain Underpants
Budget $38 million
Box office $104.7 million

>The Emoji Movie
Budget $50 million
Box office $179.5 million

>More people went to see Emoji Movie out of cynic curiosity than Captain Underpants out of genuine fun

And people wonder why animation is seen as a fucking joke.

>emoji movie, a more expensive and more shit film
>compared to CU, which is somehow less expensive to make and was perfect for what it was

How is that possible?

Yes, and? That's how I know.

The catch-22 is that this same CG movie would not have been possible if made back in 2005 due to just us not having made the same tech advancements. And if it were done in 2D by the same Dreamworks who was making movies in 2005, the script might be fifty times worse and shoehorned in a shit ton of awful pop culture references.

Explained earlier in the thread. No marketing.
Smaller budget just means less marketing.

Well, if the teachers from when you were a kid kept the books in their classroom or in the library, then the kids will see the books, read them, and care about the series.

I think that's because Dreamworks actually outsourced it, but don't quote me on that.

I work at a diner, just yesterday a ~7 year old girl was reading one of the books at her table while waiting for food

Anecdotal evidence, yes, but it’s something

That's the real shame in all this. Don't diss Despicable Me when there's a far greater evil afoot.

Despicable Me 1 is great. It's still a really fun movie with a great original script.

2 and 3 are awful fucking cash-ins with some of the shittest, inchoerent scripts I've seen from a major studio competitor. Even fucking Minions was more focused and had better jokes than 2 or 3.

What age was Captain Underpants for? I remember seeing it when I was in like second grade, but it seemed dumb.

The movie was over a decade late.

This, CU was a thing when I kid in like 2002, the age of Scholastic Book order forms, and even if it lasted into the 2010s, its heyday was long gone.
Why DreamWorks thing 2000s nostalgia will land in an age of 80s nostalgia is beyond me. They're just bad at this. Who wants a fucking Peabody and Sherman film in 2015 or whenever it came out.

What kid knows who that is?

youtube.com/watch?v=VYAlLcT5Lfk

>I will get a life.

suuure

>That's how I know.
This has to be the only way you could have turned that around without making anyone cringe. R E S P E C T

> I will use my vacation day

i didn't know what peabody and sherman was, and i was 22 when it came out. good movie though, probly needed the reboot

>being this wrong

It did lead the way to the netflix show as well, so it was the perfect time to reboot it.

That scene near the beginning when George and Harold are writing comics? That hit me right in my heart. Brought me right back to when I was a kid drawing comic books with my friend. Ours were about super-powered guinea pigs though.

it wasn't completely faithful to the books

>Faithful adaptaion

Hey, Sup Forums.
Uranus

>the age of Scholastic Book order forms

Good times

>I will chill out
>I will stop being such a crab
>I will learn how to smile
>I will be a lovable person
>I will get a life

>super powered guinea pigs

What a great idea, you should publish these stores.
Maybe someone wil make a movie based on them?

>Yet another kids movie portraying teachers as actual devils.
Making my life more difficult, kiddos.

you need to try harder to be the cool teacher so kids can't associate you with the devil stereotype

Cool teachers are bad teachers 99% of the time.

It's not completely faithful. It makes the teachers out to be more sympathetic and George and Harold don't actively prank their fellow students or cause Poopypants to snap. Also no "Remember that now". It's also more of a condensed retelling of the first four books.

>although really CU didn't even do all that badly, and indeed it still has a couple countries it hasn't released in yet
I'm completely dumbstruck by the fact that the movie has a 4 month delay between USA and Germany/France.

He thicc and that ass is big
10/10 in theatre fap

I had a cool teacher and he was pretty good

Literally the best movie of the year and nobody saw it.
Theres no hope for humanity.