Animated TDKR > movie BvS

>animated TDKR > movie BvS
>animated Suicide Squad > movie SS
>animated WW > movie WW
>animated GL > movie GL
And the list goes on.

Why doesn't DC just makes high budgeted animated movies?

Not lucrative enough.

Because comic book nerds believe that having something in live action somehow validates something.

high budget cgi movies ala pixar/disney?
Possible?

>Why doesn't DC just makes high budgeted animated movies?

You mean WB, and because it wouldn't make as much money as a live action one even if it was obviously better. Look at Lego Batman.

Not only comic book nerds but the mainstream public as well, actually I'd say the mainstream public would give it more validity to live action.
Imagine if the same plot from any Superhero movie was released as an animated movie for theaters instead, not even half the public would go see it.

Normies don't watch cartoons. Even that bad ones on your list made 100x more money then the animated ones.

how did mask of the phantasm fare in the box office during it's release? that's the last dc animated film i know that had a theater release (obviously not enough if that's the last one they did)

Poorly, because it was a last minute decision with little advertising and matinee-only, meaning you could only watch it during daylight hours.

Better yet, why not hire actually talented filmmakers?

It had poor marketing. I remember not hearing of it before it came out on VHS.

Better yet, why not take actual comics, or the animated films as screenplays and just recreate them live action, scene by scene, something like Sin City.

The biggest problem is they keep trying to change shit to make them more "accessible" and they keep fucking up horribly.

>implying it matters

Ayer is a talented filmmaker, look how MOM'S GONNA FREAK turned out.

I'm amazed Wonder Woman turned out watchable, and even then you could see the WB house style rearing its ugly head in the third act. Snyder has utterly handicapped the aesthetics of this universe before ti even began, every third act is going to look like the Doomsday BvS fight now.

>that's the last dc animated film i know that had a theater release (obviously not enough if that's the last one they did)
Someone hasn't heard of the Killing Joke.

Watched that in a full theater.

>scene by scene
I disagree but it needs to be a little bit more faithful and have respect to the source material.

You can't really stretch a comic panel into a movie scene

Most of them get theatrical releases, but only for one night. Batman and Harley Quinn and Killing Joke were both in theaters.

>Better yet, why not take actual comics, or the animated films as screenplays and just recreate them live action, scene by scene

Literally no talented filmmaker is going to agree to that. Nobody is going to agree to sacrifice their artistic vision totally just for fanboys.

At that point, just get the WB producers to direct it and cut out the middleman, it'd be more honest then pretending its an actual movie instead of a commercial.

You can't do direct adaptions like that because they are fundamentally different mediums. In comics the reader controls the pacing but in live action the viewer is at the mercy of the director.

Maybe they could directly rip off animation, but not comics.

>Killing Joke
Just watched that recently. I don't remember a romance happening in the comics or am I mistaken

I recall reading that Snyder did use Watchmen in lieu of making their own storyboards, though perhaps I'm misremembering and just thinking of Sin City which is as faithful as an adaptation can get. And then they messed up with the sequel.

You're right, they made it up because they are stupid and think Bruce wouldn't care about Babs if he wasn't fucking her.

>I recall reading that Snyder did use Watchmen in lieu of making their own storyboards

That's true, which makes it even more impressive that he fucked up so much.

>though perhaps I'm misremembering and just thinking of Sin City which is as faithful as an adaptation can get. And then they messed up with the sequel.

Also true.

And people like to bring up Sin City, but that's a different thing. Those comics are so wholly indebted to film history and noir storytelling that they're basically pre-made to be turned into stories.

>father mentor like relationship is not enough
What were they thinking?

You don't remember the part of Killing Joke where Barbera asks her gay best friend how to seduce Batman?

>in the comics
The movie was shit because those forced Babs moments

Timm fit in his fetish of older men going for college age chicks again.

Some BS justification of making the audience care for babs before she gets brutalized, and that adapting the Killing Joke by itself might end up with too short of a movie.

I would have gladly accepted a shorter movie if it meant better animation.

>Ayer
>talented

He has two solid movies and like four that are complete crap. That's pretty much the same as Zack Snyder, although End of Watch is better than all of Snyder's filmography

>He has two solid movies and like four that are complete crap

I would watch Street Kings twice in a row before going near Suicide Squad again. At least Racist Asshole Keanu was good for the unintentional comedy factor.

And Sabotage was co-written by human garbage can Skip Woods, so even though that film is cancer I don't totally blame Ayer for it.