Just watched this before re-watching LOTR

Just watched this before re-watching LOTR.
What the FUCK went wrong? How did they go from LOTR to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

they stretched it into a trilogy when one film sufficed

First one was decent. 2nd was pretty kino(Say what you will about Cumberbatch, his Smaug was spot on). 3rd was Reddit: The Movie.

Modern Hollywood

Part I was fine as its own film, II and III should have been one film though, they were mostly dumb filler

Lord of the Rings: 3 years of detailed, extensive preparation for every shot and every prop
The Hobbit: None
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

Could’ve made it in 2 movies and not filled it with stupid cgi, dumb bad action, and irrelevant characters. If I was a billionaire the first thing I would do is remake this but do it right

This, pretty much.
Peter Jackson was not supposed to do them. When Guillermo dropped off they probably gave him a hefty fee to direct them. He came aboard but they did not postpone production, so he had very little pre-production.

Situations like these ALWAYS lead to fuck ups

LOTR: 3 epic movies that were made with passion, soul and hard work, almost everything done through practical effects and costumes and staying loyal to the spirit and meaning of the books

The Hobbit: a soulless cashgrab that was stretched out for 3 movies with mindless action, filmed on a greenscreen and completely betraying the source material by adding a bunch of sjw garbage

There were a ton of CGI effects in Lord of the Rings too, though. They were just planned & executed much, much better

watch the tolkien edit or whatever they call it. Somebody cut it into a single 4 hour movie

I'm guessing they used like 15 min at most from the third one.

you mean the maple films edit by dustin?
I'm confused as whether I should watch that or bilbo edition

kek.

There was at least one thing I liked about the third one.

first one was fine, comfy as fuck

>smaug
pretty good up until mirkwood where everything felt rushed as fuck. should've cut out all the bullshit running/jumping/explosion/fire/stunt shit with smaug and put that time into building the atmosphere in the forest, should've filmed bombur and the river thing and the elves dancing at the fires from the book. less retardes hit with the barrels, more time in the elven kingdom.

laketown was rushed aswell, they put valuable screentime on the retarded alfred character (hehehehe le hilarious xD). cut out all the orc shit and just build towards capturing erebor, thorins illness and the big battle instead of that. remove all the unnecessary filler shit with cgi dudes and you can smack the whole battle into the second film aswell

Jokes and footfags aside, the first 15 minutes and last 10 were pretty nice.

Blame Del Taco

The thing with LOTR and many other notable examples like Jurassic Park is that the serviceable CGI is hidden often in dimly lit scenes.
These films will fare very good in years to come The Hobbit won't.

I watched bilbo edition and it was complete trash. It has a couple of really distracting obvious transitions and final battle with Azog is cut out so comically that I literally had to doublecheck if they really meant it. Thorin gets up on the rock, faces Azog, next frame is Thorin is dying on the floor with no sign of what happened. Fuck that edit and whoever keeps recommending it.

LOTR source material: 6 adult-audience books, published as 3 volumes, nearly half a million of words
LOTR film adaptation: 3 feature-length movies, 558 minutes total, roughly one thousands words of source text per minute of film
They struggled to condense Tolkien's epic work into a mere three movies, focused on the most intense parts, and dropped anything that didn't translate well. The result? Competent adaptation of a classic work of fiction with wonderful sets, costuming, and special effects.

The Hobbit source material: 1 children's book, published as one slim volume, under 100,000 words
The Hobbit film adaptation: 3 feature-length movies, 462 minutes, roughly two hundred words of source text per minute of film
They struggled to stretch out Tolkien's little story to fill so much screen time, yet dropped anything that was inconsistent with the pace established in the LOTR movies (although The Hobbit was a different kind of story from LOTR and had much less action in it), and put a team of Hollywood hack writers on generating enough filler to make up the difference. The result? A "The Hobbit" theme park ride with wonderful sets, costuming, and special effects that you don't care about.