How good or bad are the Harry Potter movies when compared to the other big franchises of the 2000s like the Star Wars...

how good or bad are the Harry Potter movies when compared to the other big franchises of the 2000s like the Star Wars prequels, LOTR trilogy and the Matrix trilogy?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/10612719/Harry-Potter-should-have-married-Hermione-admits-JK-Rowling.html
youtube.com/watch?v=DFe0OR-Vaww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hard to compare.

Well compared to the others you listed, Harry Potter is quite dull

The girls made my dick hard so it's hard to tell. I like the fact no matter how old I get hermoine, ginny and that blonde will for ever be teens in my memory.

The only thing they are good at is being part of one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

kino, especially 6.

Based

It was excellent. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has extremely exciting and unique characteristics when set against the others. One of the many consistencies in the series is its excitement and creative use of special effects, which really helps bring the magic alive and the action ert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series wouldn’t be subjected to the bland directorial style he fell into afterwards with War of the Worlds, Minority Report, and Big Friendly Giant. The profitable cross-promotion for her books was really just an afterthought. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Fast and the Furious series in its refusal of stupidity, inanity, and lack of logic. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though r-right
"Yes!"
The writing is imaginative and comes off of the page; the book is a masterpiece. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character “stretched his legs” rather than using the duller “went for a walk” expression.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time I saw a child’s eyes come alive with wonder while reading the books. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so naturally attuned to the Jungian archetypes that govern human thought that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a whiny, pathetic review of Harry Potter by some guy on Sup Forums. He wrote something to the effect of, “Harry Potter is full of poop.” And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read “Harry Potter” you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

They'r absolute trash
Even the pirate movies are far better there hasn't been a good one since the first one

Don't ever compare LOTR to one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises.

Steep decline after the third movie. As a kid, I'd have said "after the second". Fourth is the worst, as it's nearly incomprehensible without having read the book and would be trash without based Moody. You only watch 5-8 for Luna and Bellatrix.

>trash
That's a harsh word that i would only use for unwatchable shit that makes you regret your movie ticket purchases, like Batman vs Superman. Even the worst potter movie is at least decent

The first two were Kino in a so bad it's good way. The rest were dull shite

Worse than LOTR, better than the rest.

below lotr, maybe equal with star wars prequels. matrix trilogy taken as a whole is complete shit

fuck you

>repeatedly tells Harry to kindly fuck off
>finally goes out with him after Cedric dies
>spends the whole time talking about Cedric
>date was so awful she doesn't even dump him, just blanks him and hooks up with somebody else

Was Harry's complete failure with Cho the reason why he settled for Ginny? Life lesson learned, don't try to date attractive girls.

Harry and Hermoine were basically written to be together but then Rowiling went SIKE and Harry married a ginger.

The sauciest of pastas

Sometimes I wonder, is it one person doing this? Do they have a bot repeatedly scanning the Sup Forums catalog for Harry Potter threads, or do they spend their day hitting the F5 key? How many variations on that tier image have they created?

It also appears on every potter thread in /lit/

This. Even if they missed out a lot from the book, Half Blood Prince was still great. Best post-Williams Potter score as well.

LoTR>Harry Potter>SW prequels>Matrix

lotr is by far the best
prequels are second thanks to sheev
matrix and hp is a weird comparison. matrix has one good movie and the rest is complete nonsense, hp is dull but consistently average.
i would go matrix 3 and hp 4 because matrix atleast tried something even though they shit the bed while hp always was a mediocre moneygrab

>Matrix
Only the first one was kino. The other two were just fun to watch.

LOTR
Everything is kino. greatest trilogy in cinema

>Harry Potter
Nothing is kino, its comfy to watch if you've got nothing else to do.
two things that bothered me in particular were the sub par child acting and Dumbledore's second actor hadn't read the books and got poor direction. So in the 3rd movie he just suddenly becomes a stubborn asshat, out of nowhere

i agree that jk rowling writes like a college student trying to fill that word quota, but i disagree with ALL the movies being the exact same. the triwizard tournament was different, kinda.

Most franchise can't do 3 movies without having a turd, so having 8 movies without one is pretty good.

LOTR is still the best trilogy.

They are incredible comfy. The whole series is on HBO's streaming service this month and it's very nice to watch them again. Way better than any Star Wars film but maybe LOTR is better.

i've read books as a kid before even watching the movies and honestly I was completly dissapointed. They left out quite a lot of stuff, some characters such as Snape and Hermione were ruined.
also
>putting reddit wars and lotr on the same level

there has to be at least two since i havent posted that in months

first two movies are decent, third one is great, rest are shit

>harmony fags are STILL asshurt
Literally worse than Zutara

>plebs forgeting about the most kino scene in cinema history
THATS MUH BOY should have won an oscar

How the duck did Pattinson keep a straight face? Gambon is laughing into his shoulder.

he was 100% in sync with his character, this scene still hunts me to this very day

couldnt take dumbledore serious any more after i found out he tried to fuck over james bond for huge amounts of e pills.

Harry Potter is absolute "soy" trash
Star Wars was never good
The first LOTR movie is the only good one
Matrix 2 is the only good one

>attractive
She's not ugly but come on man, she's very average.

How exactly were they written to be together? They were always no more than friendly towards each other while Ron and Hermione had some sort of romance even back in fourth book

If you grew up with harry potter then they are good.
Otherwise they are generic trash.

here's your (You)

this. there are 20$/night hookers in south east asia that look better than her.

Ginny is supposed to be the hottest girl at Hogwarts in the books. They couldn't change that for the films so they were stuck with Harry dating the most average looking girl you've ever seen.

KINO:
>the philosopher stone
>goblet of fire
>prisoner of Azkaban

Ok tier:
>chamber of secrets
>half blood prince

Trash:
>order of the pheonix
>deathly hallows 1
>deathly hallows 2

very good list

goblet sucked and prisoner was boring

>prisoner was boring
is objectivelly the best harry potter movie

but that's 6

LotR>HP>SW Prequels>Matrix trilogy

Is that how it goes in the books? IIRC from the movies, everybody shits on her for ratting out the Room of Requirement to Umbridge's crew, but then it turns out they used the truth serum potion on her, but that's still the last time Cho has any major interaction with the main cast.

I’ve posted it a few times before, but I stopped after I saw an intro so good I could never compete. The OP was an article that said something like “Harry Potter fans deserve a movie with gay Dumbledore,” and the pasta poster said “yes, a movie about an old man sucking cocks is exactly what you deserve if you’re a fan of one of the dullest franchises in the history of franchises…” it got a shitton of responses and I kinda stopped after that

>bill nye the cuckold guy
Anyway, I think these are hard to rank per "series" and each has ups and downs. The first Harry Potter was the only one I liked but none of them were really terrible except maybe Goblet of Fire. LotR is the only one you can really rank as it was consistently great. The prequels only really had Sheev (who was only in as much of the forefront in 3) or good choreography in lightsaber battles (which ended by 3 which had far inferior choreography, and wasn't very Star Wars-y to begin with), so I guess they'd be the lowest, but then there's the Matrix which had a good movies then two turds.

Order of the Phoenix was okay. Half-blood Prince was absolute trash. Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one I'd call kino.

I barely remember the movies. That doesn’t happen in the books though. In the books the Room off Requirement snitch is some literally who non-character. It’s not Cho, it’s nobody significant

The filmmaking alone for lotr is on a entirely different level then potter but i still like both

I honestly rank them that way simply based on how enjoyable they are to revisit.

>LotR is objectively good, and is really only dated in a few visual effects that weren't even that great at the time (warg riders, Isengard being flooded, etc)
>Harry Potter remains infinitely rewatchable, as far as I'm concerned, but still isn't quite up to LotR standards
>The SW prequels are pretty weak, even for their time, and the effects haven't aged that well, but they've got all got memorable moments and characters, Sith edges close to being legitimately good, and I've got a huge amount of nostalgia for Clones for whatever reason
>The first Matrix remains a classic, and even Reloaded has its moments, but Revolutions shits the bed hard, and they all three lack that timeless quality that the other major franchises have

Credit to the Matrix, it was the only franchise of those four that really came out of nowhere and surprised people, it became a classic purely on its own merits.

LotR and the SW prequels were both challenging in their own way, because they had to live up to the nostalgia of franchises that were already long-established classics, people approached them with high expectations. LotR succeeded at meeting those expectations, the prequels failed.

The HP films would have been quickly forgotten like so many other YA flicks if they weren't riding the hype of the books that was ongoing at the time of their release. As it was they were just "good enough" to ride that wave and nothing more.

Other characters always believe that they are together and she chose Harry over Ron.

telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/10612719/Harry-Potter-should-have-married-Hermione-admits-JK-Rowling.html

youtube.com/watch?v=DFe0OR-Vaww

This scene alone

jesus christ potter you been on the steds during summer break?

>is it one person doing this?
"No!"

It's probably at least a dozen heroes doing their due diligence to inform the world about the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises.