Alan Moore's Supreme

Part 4: Long Live the King

Part 1:
Part 2: Part 3:

Other urls found in this thread:

events.glasgowlife.org.uk/event/1/grant-morrison-frank-quitely-talk
pscp.tv/AbnettMark/1RDxlmrkpYgKL?t=8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have to say, I love Alan Moore mixing old and new artwork for Supreme. It's honestly kind of fun to see him pay homage to the comics he grew up with and to see why he enjoyed reading them so much.

It's funny that so many associate Moore with grimdark shit and hating superheroes. He doesn't hate superheroes! He loves them! What he hates is when people try to act like superheroes are srs bsns and forget what makes them good.

To him, trying to make Superman gritty and morally complex and making his powers "grounded" is probably like making Neverland just some island Peter Pan sails to, or making John Carter stories set on modern day Earth.

Exactly. Moore loves the genre of superheroes. What he was trying to do with things like Watchmen and Miraclemen was interprete the genre in a different way.

But, I agree with him for the most part. I wish people would stop taking comics so goddamn seriously all the time and just read it and have some fun. I mean, sure you can critcize writing and all that, but why make a big deal out of it. Enjoy the stories they are telling, if you like them. And if you don't, don't read them.

Also I think people confuse fun with intentional silliness and self-awareness. There's embracing the fact that your genre has unlimited possibilities, and then there's treating your genre like a joke.

Like the Weisenger era Superman comics, Supreme is crazy and larger-than-life, but it's also completely earnest about it. It treats this stuff as really cool and engaging rather than material to be laughed at or with.

I've been reading a lot of Silver Age Superboy and it's like, "how are we gonna top ourselves next, dear reader?!" rather than "wow, isn't this stuff totally wacky?". Unbridled imagination.

> doesn't wrap every "other" word "in" quotation "marks"
come the fuck on moore, you don't really know Jack

And faithful readers only had to wait one more decade for the next part!

>Next stop: Gay City!

god damn it colors were never this fucking unregistered, this meme's annoying to look at

captcha: the Grays calle
Fucking aliens coming for me

Actually I have a Captain Carrot issue right here on my desk that looks more or less in that condition, but of course that's not typical.

It's kind of sad that all the pages in this series that are done up in a classic style look more like the actual art from the time than a lot of DC/Marvel's digital conversions/restorations look like.

I'm old as dirt and yes there were some really dodgy printing practices mostly during the late 80s/early 90s before everyone went from pulp to coated stock but it's genuinely insulting to the pulp printers who did their best to see gag misregistrations in retro

I've already bitched about it a million times here but the way they redo the colors on a perfectly plain white background and it looks like they just used the goddamn paint bucket makes the art look even worse than the lowest res, shittiest scans do.

Doom Annihilus

Nice

Yup and Larsen should definitely know better. Reminds me of bad wannabe "retro" pixel art that intentionally makes everything as minimal as possible when the artists back then strived to make things look as realistic as they could within the limits of the technology.

I wonder if 15/20 years from now we're gonna see comics doing their best impressions/tributes to stuff like Ennis Punisher, Bendis Daredevil, etc. in the same way this does to Silver Age comics.

(I know speaking Ennis' name in the same breath as Benis is a damn insult, it's just the first other gritty 00's comic that came to mind)

I also firmly believe we are on the cusp of 90's extreme comics revival. Youngblood's back, WildStorm's back, Witchblade's coming back, Top Cow's coming back. Granted none of those are lighting the charts on fire but you'll see! You'll all see!

> I wonder if Murder-Dago and Very Nearly Blind Man will merit the iconic stature of Superman some day
stick to posting images because you are clearly pretty retarded

I don't even like those types of comics, but they're popular and still held in pretty high regard. I'm not saying they're gonna be as iconic as Superman, but surely there'll be someone who grew up with those and wants to pay tribute.

>Youngblood's back, WildStorm's back,

Yeah, but both are pretty much stripped of the charms of the 90's. By charms I mean the radical excesses

Bendis style-writing will definitely get imitated.

That's a good point. 90's stuff was more than just the brands.

It already is! What I mean is, is there gonna be some guy who goes "Bendis was truly ahead of his time! This comic is a tribute to everything he was!".

And now that I think of it, G Willow Wilson has actually basically said that Ms. Marvel was inspired by Bendis, so maybe we're already getting to that nightmare world.

I should try out her Air series to see if some of that dialogue exists in it.
Some of that dialogue works for her setting, but hearing teenage-girl-speak out of grown adults (or Hell Lords) is aggravating

>Yeah, but both are pretty much stripped of the charms of the 90's. By charms I mean the radical excesses

Honestly that's probably what'll end up happening with a lot of retro-styled stuff down the line. Some people will "get" it and others won't but all will try to do a simulation of it.

Oh, and look at Gerard Way doing his tribute to Morrison and Vertigo. That's probably a way better example than Benis style edgy writing since Vertigo was actually good.

>doing his tribute to Morrison and Vertigo

It's funny because Morriosn came out and said it was a mistake to bring Flex back.

>It's funny because Morriosn came out and said it was a mistake to bring Flex back.

Where?

Man Larsen's women look like Bratz dolls

Wait really? Got a link?

An interview he did with Quietly can't find the video, but it was for this talk

events.glasgowlife.org.uk/event/1/grant-morrison-frank-quitely-talk

I love that Batman type characters are named after the creator of the Shadow.

>Imagineers
woah Moore predicted the Mouse buying the House of Ideas and the King getting

>I never created a Wylie personal, like.
Did Moore forget Thor, wouldn't Thor be a Wylie type? And does he not take full credit because Thor is mythological? Or am I reading too much into this story?

And now finally I'm going to go drink some gingerale and pass out watching Superman II, so I will leave you with the Awesome Universe Sourcebook.

Thanks for reading.

>And faithful readers only had to wait one more decade for the next part!
That must have been annoying.

It must've been an unlisted video some kind user shared.

I think it probably is omitted because Thor's mythological.

And it's kind of difficult to say what a Wylie would entail because Hugo Danner in Gladiator had the powers that 1938 Superman had, but his origin definitely wasn't the same. So in that light you could consider Thor a combination Wylie/Mythology character.

Funny thing to see Dax versions of Reed, Thor, Iron Man, and Thing there.

Found it, it's an hour of Scottish gibberish

Was that it?

I hate when they get the colors wrong. I have a book on the history of Marvel written by Stan and for some reason the picture of Galactus in his first appearance in the book has him in Christmas colors.

There was an official JLI (I think) issue posted recently that had one page drenched in magenta by accident

If Moore had run the Awesome Universe from the get-go, my guess is that things would be a lot different, in a very good way for the brand in general. It not rival the big two or anything like that, but it would be a nice niche series to get into.

Seriously, I would have killed for that. Wildstorm is a huge pain in the ass to get into, due to how shit the writing was in the begining. Top Cow is also difficult to get into as well, and I wish to Christ I had downloaded Preacher user's files for the Witchblade storytime.