Is Rey really a bad character? People call her a mary sue, but...what about Luke or Anakin?

Is Rey really a bad character? People call her a mary sue, but...what about Luke or Anakin?

Anakin is the chosen one and he's a flawless character who succeeds at everything
Luke never had any training and still blew up the death start by himself with no help whatsoever and defeated Vader and Palpatine after a few days of training with Yoda

Rey struggled against a force rookie, she couldn't defeat Snoke, she didn't blow up the starkiller base, her powers are explained, etc.

>flawless character who succeeds at everything
gets hand cut off by dooku, fails multiple times, often fuck something up

Luke - was a pilot, used to shot desert rats, which are smaller than death star weakpoint
throws saber way, palpatine is defeated by vader, luke would lose

Seriously why even embarrass yourself like this.

Luke was luckier than he was skilled
Anakin was very believable
I'll give you child Anakin but no one likes Phantom Menace

It's just sad now at this point. Stop it. Rey is a Mary Sue and Luke isn't. Get over it.

Just calling Rey a "character" is kinda pushing the definition of the word. Two films down and she hasn't had much characterization so far... all we know is that she is without flaw, loved and respected by everyone and is pretty much the strongest force user alive with zero training over the course of the few days that she was even aware of it's existence.

Cant' be a Mary Sue when you make mistakes and get caught in the first movie. Requiring rescue

She's barely a character. Kylo is the actual protag at this point.

He even behaves like a Skywalker in that everything he tries kinda fails and he needs rescuing (by Hux, then Rey, then Hux again). And he's got Anakin's anger issues magnified. And he's diligent in learning the ways of the Dark Side. Rey just falls to the light side.

STOP
damage control

People kept pointing out how Rey is so perfect at everything and immediately liked by everyone.
So I decided to funally give the whole series (movies only) finally a go and I gotta say, Luke suffers from the exact same things to a hard degree.

The only Mary Sue thing about Rey is the fact she's naturaly gifted at using the force, which is quite retarded to be honest.

>Is Rey really a bad character?
Yes. The Sequels would be a lot better if she was removed, and we focused on Kylo instead.

She escaped on her own lmao

kill yourself underage

I think this is wrong.

Luke gets his ass kicked by Tusken Raiders.
Han gives him shit until they get to the Rebel Base.
R2 constantly gives him a hard time.

C-3PO and Old Ben are the only one that likes him, even his Uncle thinks he's an ungrateful piece of shit.

Leia only likes him because he is trying to rescue her.

The Rebels only like him because he managed to rescue Leia and Biggs vouched for him.

>Luke suffers from the exact same things to a hard degree.
What? Luke constantly fucked up and needed saving because he was young and inexperienced. A contrast of Rey, who seems to be able to master anything she does within minutes.

Just stop dud

Atleast watch the actual movies reytard

I like to think of it as putting Rey into the scenes Luke is involved in.

For example, saving Han from Jabba. How woudl she have accomplished this feat? Would Jabba have just liked her?

Rey is undeniably /ourgirl/. Best character.

>Requiring rescue
She freed herself using advanced jedi mind tricks despite barely knowing anything about the Force.

And Chewie snarls at him for trying to put cuffs on him. Chewie loves Rey from the beginning, Han tells her when he offer her a job as crewmember. And of course she speaks both Shyriwook AND Astromech. Luke probably learnt the first one inbetween OT and ST, but he never learnt to understad Artoo, he's always guessing what he wants to tell him or reads it off the display in his X-Wing.

>Rey
>Character
lol

FUCK OFF

She enters disguised as Boushh. Her superior mind trick works on Jabba and the whole court. She releases the Rancor into the wild, saying "Today, we freed not one, but two individuals from captivity!"

It's established Luke is a good pilot in anh, he beat Vader after 4 years of constant combat xp and months of training with Yoda, not to mention he adopted Vader's style and used it against him. Add to the fact Luke was his son and has the same gogo juice in his veins.

>Anakin is a Mary sue

Did you miss the part where he got all his limbs cut off and turned into a cyborg

>Luke beat the emperor

Yeah in a moral victory not actual combat, I know this is bait but I feel like talking about star wars anyway

>Ho Ho Ho Ho Laiku da cutto offa yu jibba bounti hanta Ho ho ho ho

Was Sneed a Mary sue?

Shes a mediocre character on her own, but with Kylo shes pretty awesome.

>Desert hobo that sells cans for portions of food can do it all

Great character

There wouldn't be a rescue mission in the first place. She would fuck up Vader on Bespin and jump on Slave-1 flying by to cut it open with a lightsaber and use a mind trick on Boba Fett to release Han and be nice from now on.

>Did you miss the part where he got all his limbs cut off and turned into a cyborg

Or where he gave in to anger and slaughtered a whole village. Or when he was a terrible judge of character and let himself be manipulated into killing a prisoner. Or where he let it happen again with Windu. Or when he let the Changeling escape. Or when he broke his second lightsaber. Or when he was angry at the Jedi Council for not granting him the rank of Master.

Can Rose be there too

Why did Kathleen have to ruin everything?

no. they're both shit. and together they form megashit. kys r/reylo faggot.

hey, you need to kill the past. bury it if you have to and get with the times

Based reylos keeping soyboys getriggered lmao

Rey's power makes more sense

She is skilled in melee combat because she's lived alone her entire life and needed to learn how to fight to survive
She read Kylo's mind, the moment she did it she copied all of his abilities (J.J. Abrams said she's the Goku of Star Wars and can mimic any ability by just seeing it once)

She's busy freeing dianogas from trash compactors. That's where she belongs.

>Why do women have to ruin everything?
ftfy

Based plebbitor linking to reddit

well, tlj was in 2017, so I'll best shit on it and bury it then.

>how about no

I can't think a worst character in the entire cinema story

Luke is skilled in melee combat AFTER combat xp in the war and months of training with arguably the greatest Jedi of all time, and why wasn't the latter shown in the movies then?

>J.J. Abrams said she's the Goku of Star Wars and can mimic any ability by just seeing it once
That's fucking retarded and you're defending this garbage writing?

>slurp
>slurp

Bring good at fighting with her staff and repairing machinery are the only things the movie sets up for her. Everything else is only explained in supplemental material. That she's the Taskmaster of the SW galaxy is a shitty excuse.

Fighting with a stuff wouldn't translate to a sword let alone a fucking lightsaber

>J.J. Abrams said she's the Goku of Star Wars
This is not Dragon Ball, it's Star Wars. That's just shitty writing.

To be fair, it might not be canon anymore.
The Goku comparison comes from Abrams's original draft for the movie where the climax would have Kylo pointing the starkiller's beam at Rey, who was located in a completely different planet similar to Coruscant and Rey would counter it with a powerful beam of force energy known as force stream, which looked similar to the kamehameha

it was meant to look like the beam struggles from dragon ball

The final straw for me was when she shows up on Virgin Island and grumpy old Jake Skywalker is saying multiple things that are just philosophically wrong, proceeds to quote from SACRED JEDI TEXTS!!! that are also philosophically wrong, and then gets told what a useless old shithead he's being by Rey, who defies what little wisdom he does have to offer and suffers zero negative repercussions for it.

What a powerful lesson for the kids. They can complain about old fans being manchildren all they want, but the fact is that this is exactly the sort of fanfiction Mary Sue bullshit objectively developmentally-stunted people would write for their self-insert, where the "elders" have no wisdom worth heeding, because they're just the smartest little shit to ever walk the earth.

Oh god.

Jesus that sounds fucking awful

Someone needs to shoot that dumb kike before he thinks up anything else

Don't forget fell from grace and became DARTH VADER

I know I'm suppose to think it's bait, but with KK and JJ around I just don't know anymore.

People like to forget that the man in the can, the bloke in the cloak, the dude in the suit is Anakin.

>climax would have Kylo pointing the starkiller's beam at Rey, who was located in a completely different planet similar to Coruscant and Rey would counter it with a powerful beam of force energy known as force stream, which looked similar to the kamehameha
>it was meant to look like the beam struggles from dragon ball

hahahahaha
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
the reactions to episode IX are going to be glorious

Luke thought about killing his nephew in cold blood, lol

That's Jake, not Luke.

while he was sleeping
that's the same guy who told the emperor to fuck off and took a lightning bolt to the face
yep

Jake "If I should die before I wake" Nightstalker did.

Remember that time Anakin got dismembered because his adopted dad was on a hill?

Rey is worse than bad, she's boring. She's a tech whiz, skilled fighter, the Force comes to her like breathing air and nothing affects her emotionally unless the writer says it needs to, to give you the illusion she has some vulnerability. She has already become a fully self-reliant person when we meet her and she's supposed to be our protagonist for this trilogy. Who can relate to this person? Even backstory is boring. She was abandoned as a child by her shitty parents, nothing more. No connection to any of the past events that lead up to the beginning of this trilogy. I'm not asking for her to be some space princess, just something that can bring more complexity to her. But no, she's just some blank slate of a person that will always do what's right and never doubts themselves.

>luke is a mary-sue
not even close
>anakin is a mary-sue
yes, but not rey-levels. they should just rename the term to rey-sue i swear

I prefer Asuka myself.

>anakin a mary-sue but not rey-levels
wat

>The new trilogy should have been about Ahsoka

Agree, or disagree?

Anakin is not a Mary Sue. While he does have some of the qualities, not everyone likes him, he gets talked down to and he gets his ass kicked a couple of times. Rey has yet to lose a single fight. Even that stand off with Kylo Ren ends in a draw despite the fact this guy has been trained in the Force for much longer than her. You can't pull the whole "he was injured" card because they were both on equal footing and she still is strong enough to keep up with him. Again it's boring.

He is definitely close to one in TPM maybe not as much in the other two

>Young Anakin is a mary-sue
FTFY

A trilogy about some 80-90 year old woman?

I know this is bait, but Rey has only "faught" shitty untrained thieves her whole life. Someone like Kylo has been fighting highly skilled enemies of the FO for years.

It doesn't have to take place after the OT like the sequels do.

Why isn't Rey punished for her fuckups?

Luke fails Ben and has his whole school massacred and goes into seclusion for years.

Rey fails Kylo Ren and ships herself to him alone and the only thing that happens to her is her saber (that is technically not even hers) is broken after she tries to pull a fast one on him.

I'm rooting for Kylo rather than her at this point. Her and her buddies are hotheaded assholes, at least he suffers.

Even when he's "winning", he's still fucking miserable. Guy can't catch a break. Worst part is, it's not even really completely his fault? Am I supposed to hate him because his Uncle tried to murder him?

Please tell me in the end he will be revealed as the actual protag all along. I don't give a fuck about Rey who never fails at anything and always comes out on top and the only time she shows any real humanity is when she wanted to hop on Kylo's dick after seeing him shirtless.

Luke
Ep4: Farmer pilot-wannabe boy
Ep5: Immature jedi-wannabe rebel
Ep6: Master Jedi

Anakin
Ep1: Boy with Great Powers
Ep 2: Whining Brat
Ep 3: Screaming Brat

Rey
Ep7: Some Girl with Great Powers
Ep8: Some Girl with Great Powers

So much for character development

Both are supposed to be likeable they represent the target audience

Rey has a few of her abilities KIND OF explained; some are given off the bat, others you really just have to assume because you don't get a verbal cue and you have to draw lines later in the movie. The problem is that her personality is as deep as a kiddy pool, everyone is instantaneous drawn to her, and she seems to just absorb power like Rogue. She's never really in danger, so there are never any stakes in her development.

Anakin's biggest thing was Podracing and a hint of the force. He even explains to the audience "oh flying a ship is like podracing." The extent of his force power is his innate flying ability and somewhat extrasensory perception, though it is rough. By AotC, he's had 10 years of training to harness his abilities which draws heavily from his emotion and is further amplified around Padme. Despite this, he still gets his ass kicked by Dooku. By the third film, you know his power is continually amplified by his relationship with Padme. The stakes are further raised when it turns out Padme is pregnant. Anakin has his bad dream and starts losing his control as the Jedi continue to put him down to keep him in check. Palpatine is also manipulating him slowly and over time. When he turns and slaughters the Jedi Temple, he still has an army at his back and he is driven to kill to get the power to save Padme. When he strangles her, he has given up the reason for his strength and, thus, when he fights Obi-Wan he is only a shadow of himself. Loses his other limbs, gives in fully to the dark side.

Luke is broken down as a talented pilot who throughout his life has been influenced by Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan gives him baby-steps into the force and understanding it, but he never comes to wield the Lightsaber except in training. It's constantly reiterated to trust the force, to use the force, that it will guide you. Obi-wan displays tricks and powers of the force, but Luke is still learning. The end of the film is the culmination of the film's reiterating principle, where he trusts the force to guides him, and he blows up the death ball. By Empire, Luke is still training, but remains very rough. He gets kidnapped by the Wampa, shot down by AT-ATs, trains with Yoda and has his failures highlighted. He is given the breakdown of the darkside and confronts the cave to a negative result. He rushes hastily into cloud city, gets pushed around by vader, loses a hand, and needs to be saved by Leia, Lando, and Chewie. By Jedi, he's been training; learning patience, trusting in the force, controlling his feelings. He still gives himself up to Vader, gives in to his anger to try and strike the emperor, but overcomes his anger and tosses aside his lightsaber in front of vader and the emperor. He would rather die then fall.

Rey is shown to be a scavenger under service of Unkar. It's highlighted she doesn't want to stay there when she sees an old woman doing the same thing. She's shown to idolize the rebellion of old. ***Before getting ambushed, she's never shown in a fight nor explained she had to fight (ever) on Jakuu.*** The most we get about her upbringing is from a flashback where she is left there under Unkar as a little girl. Is she a slave? Is Unkar looking out for her? Who is she waiting for and why? When they go to fly, there's no queue either she nor Finn have ever flown before (finn shoots in the tie fighter - that's it). Finn goes to the gun-turret (like with the tie fighter - continuity!) and Rey flies. ***She's never flown before and is even baffled by her own ability.*** Rey and Finn meet Han and Chewie. They escape on the Falcon, Rey bypasses the compressor. She's been a scavenger so she would know a little bit about ships - a stretch, but still... continuity!! ***She is given a blaster, never fired before, and Han tries to recruit her... why? Because she bypassed a compressor?*** Shit happens with Maz, you get flashbacks that do little to give her backstory, and a fight breaks out. ***She uses her blaster very successfully, despite never firing one.*** Rey is frozen by Kylo, who reads her mind and knocks her out - holy shit, she's actually in a bit of danger! Maybe she isn't that perfect! Then the interrogation scene... ***she turns the tables on Kylo and reads his mind... how?*** ***Then she uses the Mind Trick, something no character has ever done without having the training first.*** She does some sick rock climbing to bust out of confinement - continuity! This was shown at the beginning! The fight in the winter forest... ***she pulls the lightsaber despite never seeing it done, nor trying it.*** She then holds her own against Kylo and, until she's up against a cliff.***

She's up against the cliff and suddenly she has the mantra that should have been brought up at the beginning so that there's a sense of CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT - TRUST IN THE FORCE. ***She then kicks his ass, cuts him up, and, when there's a crux where she can either kill him or spare him, a coincidental crack in the ground separates them.*** Oh well! ***She goes to the rebel base and Leia, who is closer friends with Chewie, EMBRACES HER INSTEAD.*** She goes to Luke, hands him the light saber, and The Last Jedi begins. Do I need to go over all the same shit? All the lack of proper training? The missing 3rd lesson cut from the film? Her kicking Luke's ass and then doing what Luke did with the rocks, but on steroids? And they needed to castrate Luke's character to make Rey look good and they killed him off for good measure.

Rey has SOME abilities explained, but they she's just given everything else like Kathleen Kennedy opened the console command and just went ham. It's kind of like using God Mode in Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast against Desann in the first meeting. You are supposed to lose, the hero doesn't always triumph. They need to be knocked down so they can come back stronger.

She has a nice ass.

TL;DR

Anakin and Luke failed, became stronger or learned some lesson from failure like all humans do and transformed as the story went on.

Rey is the same from TFA to TLJ and probably will be for IX. She doesn't need to learn anything because she already HAS everything. There's no skill development, no personal growth, no personality development, nothing. She's a Mary Sue in almost every sense of the word.

He was too sure of himself. Already nearly as skilled/powerful as Dooku by AotC ( novelization )
Windu has a scene of him doing that during the battle of coruscant or something but he's a trained Jedi.

Even Goku isn't able to copy Whis' UI until 120+ episodes later.

Kill yourself reylo

puttering around on your home world and shooting rats is no where near proficient training for flying an X wing in a combat situation against the empires base.

nanoma...i mean midichlorian are a piss poor excuse for building 3PO and a pod racer, in a cave with a box of scarps! let alone being the only human to win a rod race

>cartoons

Something else about her that deserves saying 8s how she's always trusted and vouched-for by people who really don't have any reason to. No one ever doubts her, no one ever really questions her. She's just sort of accepted at every turn, even entrusted with missions that don't make a lot of sense. As an example, when the movie starts, it's Poe who's looking for the Skywalker map, but in the end, it's Rey who's tasked with going to speak with him, and this in spite of Poe being their best pilot and a trusted member of the Resistance while Rey is just a literally who they've known for a couple of days.

You'd expect Leia to at least accompany them on the trip to find Luke, and with probably at least Poe or some other Resistance officer along just for insurance, because by this point, one of the few things they truly know about Rey is she's a gifted and dangerous wielder of the Force. That should trigger at least a few warning bells.

Well, if Leia went with Rey then it wouldn't have fit the grumpy Skywalker scenario :)

Well, NO, she isnt a Mary Sue, despite the dumb faggots here who think otherwise. She has flaws and she isnt really that important to the story. The movies even tell you that she has no place in the story. You see it during Kylos proposal. "You have no place in this story". Poor girl. Shes not a bad character though. I know people here will whine about how OP she is but so is Kylo "Freezes A Blaster Bolt in Midair When We First See him" Ren. Her flaws are that shes needy, desperately lonely, naive, etc. I could write all day about Reys character.

I saw TPM again recently, noticed a few things:

>podracing
He wins for the FIRST time. Before that, someone mentioned he didn't managed to finish even a single race.

>Space battle
The kid was force sensitive, yes, and definitely had some skill, but in the end mattered more to be in the right place at the right time. Anakin just got lucky, that's all.

>tech genius/builds C3PO
Sure, but when Anakin says he can fix the broken ship, Qui-Gon just ignores the offering. Building droids from scrap and fixing race pods is one thing; spacecraft engineering is definitely not the same.

>the Jedi council doesn't like him
Do I need to say more?

Yeah, some Mary Sue.

P.S.
Reylo is canon. But you already knew that

Anakin is a flawless character and succeeds at everything.

>Is a slave
>Gets taken away from his mother at a young age
>Sees her 10 years later, she’s dead in his arms
>Gets arm cut off
>Betrays the Jedi order
>Kills hundreds of Jedi
>Loses best friend
>Gets other arm cut off and legs while being burnt alive
>Loses his wife and kids
>Gets put in outdated suit
>Can only communicate through brainwaves in his helmet

Yeah OP, you really nailed it there

Kill yourself reylo

Luke fucking sucked and barely survived the first fight with Vader. I remember watching some Rifftrax clips and when he got sucked out of that window, Mike said "I SUUUUUUCK" and I laughed so hard, because it's true.

The worst thing about Rey is that, besides being a Mary Sue, she has no fucking character. You could replace her with a cardboard cutout and the movie wouldn't be affected at all. Easily one of the most soulless characters ever put to film.

I don't even like Star Wars that much but:

>Anakin is the chosen one and he's a flawless character who succeeds at everything
Anakin is literally bullied by Obi-Wan from the moment he left his planet to the moment he kills Obi-Wan in episode 4. Everything Anakin does makes Obi-Wan mad or angry. The only people who didn't shit on him were Palpatine and Padme.

>uke never had any training and still blew up the death start by himself with no help whatsoeve
Pretty sure Obi-Wan and the force guided him to destroy the Death Star.

>defeated Vader and Palpatine after a few days of training with Yoda
Vader is literally a slow moving robot and Palpatine was killed by Vader.

I don't have any problems with Rey but i do hate TLJ.