Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU
towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/12/12-hands-of-king-tyrion/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's a white male

He was mean to le quip dwarf

Undoubtedly one of the top characters in the show. Sucks he went out like that

literally did nothing wrong

He was definitely my favorite character in the show. Just look at this scene: youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU
He was the only Lannister that on one hand had pride, but at the same time he also was ambitious and cautious - something neither Cersei nor Jamie ever learned. He was the best leader anyone could ask for.

Being played by Charles Dance also helps the character a lot, he straight up kills majority of the shows actors with his talent, he's on a different level.

This
The worst thing he did was fucking Tyrion's whore, and it's still mostly Tyrion's fault for getting attached to a fucking whore

He's only popular because D and D are Lannisterfags. And maybe because Charles Dance is very charming and in a different tier of talent from the others. Book Tywin is a dumb thug and child rapist.

>The most powerful man in Westeros pours you a drink of wine, compliments you, promotes you to Hand of the King and tells you not to bring the whore
>He brings the whore

Tyrion isn't as sharp as he thinks he is.

>ignores his favorite 2 kids so much they start banging
>try to kill 3rd kid, pussy out
>torment 3rd kid all his life instead
#1 dad

LOL

Do we ever find out why he's a butcher in that scene? Is it like I, Claudius when Augustus picks his own figs?

He's cutting up a stag, which is a heraldic sign of the house Baratheon. Additionally it shows that he, as a character, is not a pampered noble who is above "dirty work", but is well capable of gutting the stag himself.

RRREEEEEEEEEE

For all the purported moral ambiguity of GRRM's series, it still divides people into classical good and evil characters, although honor and righteous actions are punished as is logical in a realistic scenario, the honorable are still presented as being the overall good while the dishonorable as the overall bad
There's nothing wrong with this of course, but it means A Song of Ice and Fire isn't as "subversive" as people think when it comes to morals, it just has a more logical conclusion compared to more classic fantasy
To be honest it felt like the characters in the Witcher game series(never read the books so can't say anything about them) had a lot more morally ambiguous treatment of the political players in the world, Nilfgaard is presented as the villainous force spreading its imperialism north as it aims to subjugate the Northern Kingdoms, its leader a scheming pragmatist voiced by Charles Dance, and his empire using spies, assassins and brute force to subjugate the North, on the other hand Nilfgaard would be the more enticing choice for many, especially those with modern morals, Nilfgaard does not experience witch burnings or pogroms, Nilfgaard also maintains peace in its territories while the northern kings constantly scheme and war with each other, but that's not to say that the Northern Kingdoms are presented as automatically wrong either, the sister fucker and war lover King Foltest being an ally of the main character

>have his son's wife gangraped and make him believe she wanted it
>fuck his son's favorite prostitute
>go along with having his son unjustly executed

Did I miss something?

if he had just left tyrion in the woods at birth none of this should would have ever happened, and his 100% united empire would have smashed the shit outta the white walkers. the end

I read a good theory that this is the way he spends his leisure time. Remember Tywin is an extremely practical man, everything he does need to have a purpose, in another cut scene he is show fishing, another practical hobby.

He's like Palpatine, but not evil.

>white nerd

Please shut up mutt

He truly is. Both him and the guy who plays Varys. I miss seeing Tywin just fucking annihilate plebs with his superior intellect and will. He's the Victor Von Doom of Westeros.

The symbolism was top-fucking-notch in that scene. I bet it was Dance's idea to sling the deer's leg over his shoulder as Jaime's leaving. It completes the illusion of a lion at a fresh kill.

Yep, in the books it's stated that the years in wich he ruled during Aeris reing were peacefull and bountyfull, also, he ended the fucking war that was wrecking the country during Jofrey's reign. Literally the good guy, the only reason i still hate the Lannister name is because of his 3 awfull child.

Also the deleted Tywin & Pycelle scene (which absoltuely should've been left in) has him fishing in the blackwater just before the red Wedding. Tywin's a man that likes to gloat to himself. I'm sure he captured that Lion that Cersei aaid lived beneath Casterly Rock just before or after he destroyed the Reynes

I never liked Tyrion to be honest, he always acted too childish. I droped this show after season 5 because i've realised every character would ever find his demise in un-logical actions , what is bad since it was suposed to be a show mostly about mindgames.

Childhood is liking Tyrion
Adulthood is realising Patchface maks the most sense

He literally had a kingdom to rule when his twin were little.
He suspected his 3rd kid was son of another man.
Also, all his three children were fucking awfull in every sense.

Ironically I bet J(ae)me and Cers(ae) are the rape babies of Aerys banging Tywin's wife for that delicious irony. Especially since Jaime's aunt in the book says (Metaphorically, but the points stand) That only Tyrion is Tywin's real son

i just fucking love this scene, user, thanks.
i wish i once in my life have a chance to use the "we should'nt care of the opinions of others" followed by "that's not an opinion, that's a fact (...".

>Did I miss something?
yeah, all the time you could have spent not watching this shit

also Cersi's obsession with wild-fire.

That would have been a fantastic touch.

it mostly mean he's a man of action.

Careful, you'll trigger the edgy contrarian who want to suck an evil sociopath's dick

A ruler who prioritizes his family over everything else is a shit ruler.

And the brother sister incest

Based patchposter

>D and D are Lannistergags
tottaly agree

> Charles Dance is very charming
By far the best actor in the show, followed by Jack Gleeson (Joffrey)

>Book Tywin is a dumb thug and child rapist
Care to explain? I've never read all books.

the red wedding was kind of a rude thing to do

Part of that was the fact he was busy running a country and wasn't there to raise them.

His only mistake was sparing Tyrion's life. Twice. The guy is cool and all, but he's kind of a fuckup.

Saved tens of thousands by ending the war. Any king in the north would get rekt by the white walkers so hard that Robb's entire storyarc was doomed from the start.

Kinda rude, but he ended the fucking war. That was a good action.

His character was that he was a hypocrite if you missed that out.

Again, you ignore that the character is shown to be extremely family-centric. He didn't do it for the realm and people.
Such a man is by definition a shit ruler. Not just that, he raised shitty kids, ignoring Tyrion (and later Jamie has his redemption arc, but irrelevant).
A good ruler is a servant of the state.

He had several problems that kept him from being truly great.

For one, he went way overboard yanking his own horn over being "the ruthless guy". For another, he was ultimately a bit petty about it a few times. And lastly, he was more than a little bit of a hypocrite.

>Royally fucks up *everybody* who he even thinks might have crossed him in some way or another, sowing more fear (and concealed hatred) than actual respect
>Sends Clegane after Elia Martell to punish the Martells over something they didn't really do, because he was salty Aerys fucked him over; ends up starting an unnecessary vendetta against his family for no reason
>Preaches "duty to the family" over personal feelings, but ignores, derides, and rejects Tyrion (one of the more capable and clever Lannisters) because he's ugly and not-really-caused his wife's death
>In the same vein, demands his kids marry whoever he wants them to to further "muh family"'s goals, but married for love (to his cousin no less) and never remarried out of love for her despite the many potential alliances it could have forged (who wouldn't marry a Lannister lord?)

>be asshole all your life
>die for the only few times you were nice
huh...

It was actually dances idea to do the butchering in that scene.

Aeris reing was a peacefull and bountyfull time during his rule. Also, ithere is no such thing as "the state" in medieval politics, his family IS the state at that point.
+ That war was complety pointless from the begining, ending that skirmish was indeed an act positive to the country.

>a true family man
I hope you get killed by a pack of niggers

>When idiots post

What use would alliances be when the kingdom was united? By the time of the war of the five kings he was an old man, who the hell would he marry and put a baby in?

Get criticized for tv incest
Get authority to write new seasons
Shoehorn even more incest

What did DnD mean by this?

all of them are bad. the only reason you think otherwise is the show fucking it up.

If Tyrion died Casterly Rock would legally become Joffrey or Tommen Baratheon's after Twyin dies too. He risked having the fief of the Lannisters leave their family. Sure, we know the two of them are lannisters through and through, but legally they are Robert's children. Not only that, but the Westerlands would become another part of the Crown's estates, rather then a kingdom of itself. If Tywin hated Tyrion enough to kill him he should have remarried and sired another son

>Book Tywin is a dumb thug and child rapist.
he's really not. in the books he's more regal and imposing.

>A true family man

lol

Great fucking point, my friend.
> Royally fucks up "everybody" (...)
Give me an example, i don't remeber him fucking over someone who was'nt an actual threat (in the show)

>Sends Clegane after Elia Martell (...)
Partially an emotionally driven act, but at the same, the Targeryen children HAD to die, and it was smart to spare the new dinasty from having to commit this horrible act.

>(..)ignores, derides and reject Tyrion.
That was an emotionally driven mistake by him, but at the same time, he recognizes his talent and give him a chance to contribute to the family legacy: In summary. Tyrion not only brought a whore to court (wich was Tywin's only condition) but also fails to instruct king Joffery (wich was his primary duty), he literaaly never had a conversation with the king during his time as Hand.

Ok, about the marriage thing, he was a 100% hipocrite in that subject.

Wrong. Just wrong. Later that idea became more pronounced, but there were rulers who followed raison d'etat even then, even though it wasn't the norm.
In any case, we are partly judging from our own perspective. Ruler who doesn't live for his state is not a good ruler. Great power, great responsibility.

Tywin Lannister is not a good ruler for many reasons others pointed out here, I just pointed one of them.

Tywin was a very great ruler.

Starks, Baratheons and Martells are just eternally butthurt over him.

>A good ruler is a servant of the state.
lol american?

Friedrich the Great, among others.

He is stated as being a good ruler during Aeris reign, also, i don't remember any action of his being bad for whatever "state" he was ruling in the show?
But do you agree that ending that dumb feud with the northerns was in a fact a positivie action?

He was a servant of the army, which was the state. Also you're mistaking different cultural eras.

That user doesn't understand feudalism or anything about the style of government and nobility depicted in the series. Just ignore him.

Joffery was power tripping hard
I dont think anyone would risk their positions (or their heads) talking sense to him

No, because it was a very brutal and sneaky move. People don't like that.
If he murdered or even poisoned Robb somewhere in the open, that would be okay even if "dishonorable".
I mean, outside of act itself, such actions don't lend to your legitimacy. Getting your hands dirty and acting like a totally immoral bastard are different things.

>You are being Counselled now!

Tyrion didn't simply threaten joff enough. He was a cowards behind it all. He came close when he slapped him during the riot

You have a very simplistic view of feudalism though.
You're paraphrasing Voltaire's humorous quip.
Friedrich the Great was an englightened and effective administrator. He wasn't just a warrior-king.

He treated the king with full disrespect the moment he got there, if he was smarter he would not act so cocky over the him.
Wich is exactly what Tywin does, he treats the king with full respect and at the same time instruct and control him, and that what he meant Tyrion to do.

Yeah, all the Lannisters are way better in the show for some reason. Book Cersei is a lucky idiot, Jaime allows himself to manipulated by everyone, and the rest are rich fops.

Kevan, Tywin, and Tyrion are the only ones that show good qualities of leaders.

You seem to have no knowledge of history to use a person from the 18th century as a comparison for a culture based in the 15th century. Again, are you American or something?

Tywin was retarded. Purposely neglecting the best heir your family has because they're a dwarf is something someone like him shouldn't have committed.

Tyrion is a fun character but he's hardly the "best heir" for the Lannisters.

I kind of figure it was all part of Tywin's plan to kill off the last of the Targs.

Not subtly suggesting Jaime should be released from the Kingsguard for killing the king after the Rebellion was the real mistake. Jon Arryn would've caved to him anyway, the new government needed his support

Who is? Joffrey?

That’s Plato

now it's obvious that you're just butthurt because he fucked the Starks.

>No, because it was a very brutal and sneaky move. People don't like that.
lol, i bet the people that were in territory close to be reached by the war loved that sneaky move, same thing for everyone who had lost everything because "muh, burn the fields so the enemies can't eat".

>Getting your hands dirty and acting like a totally immoral bastard are different things.
I don't see your point, he had kill him and his bannerman, so he took the opportunity, i'd do the exact same thing.

That's the whole issue, really. He gave Tyrion a shot, but he just wasn't smart and competent enough to make up for his out-of-control lifestyle and dwarfism. If he gave Casterly Rock to Tyrion he'd have 0 legitimacy five seconds after Tywin died.

For a competent man like Tywin it must have been suffering. His daughter's more malicious than smart and his true heir join the king's guard, while also being a borderline retard who couldn't read. Some legacy.

Jaime or Kevan

Tyrion might be capable, but all the other houses would look down in him and he’d probably have problems marrying

The red wedding is ill thought of because of it's association with the Freys, not because they killed off the enemy leadership in a deathblow.

Tywin never threats anybody.
What he did is intimidating the king without ever being disrespectfull, that what Tyrion should've done.

He seems to be forgetting that the Freys got all the blame too.

I think maybe he'd at least had support in Kings Landing.

He did save them all after all.

Tywin has a number of nephews and cousins that are proven capable and would be more reliable than Tyrion.

He should have let Stannis kill them all.

KEK

This, 18th century is already nation-state era, what is this user thinking?

They don't know that, and they don't know it because Tyrion failed to advertise anything he was doing to curry favor. He was an amateur leader.

Tyrion killed his wife though.

Wait what are you saying?

Tywin's dead. Tyrion is basically a Lannister rebel at this point. Being able to call upon the might of two of the most powerful fighting forces in the world is kind of a thing.

Neither did Tywin. He didn't need to, for some reason people just fear the guy.

Some Lannister vassal might think him a weak target and jump him, problems within his domain
All the ambitious vassals who feared Tywin now deal with the infamous imp, lesser of the Lannisters

This too, besides Kevan, everyone (Jaime, Blackfish) has compliments for Daven Lannister

Don't think Cersei would have let him lead sry.

Out of his three kids, he's the best by far.

>Jaime
Too stupid and is uninterested in politics in general

>Cersei
lmao

>for some reason
He extinguished two families in his youth for being uppity, the Castameres and the Tarbecks

Tywin did, actually.

Here, read this:
towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/12/12-hands-of-king-tyrion/index.html

lmao, but to give him some credits, the show looks a bit like 18th century, with all that professional army- with standart equipament-fighting on foot- thing

Jaime is actually pretty competent, once he starts trying and gets serious

> dwarf has survived the destruction of most of his house.

Dragonfire is a compelling argument.

Tommen, obviously