The villain in Coco is not the trickster skeleton but this? Is that a jaquin from Elena of Avalor? Is it an Alebrije...

The villain in Coco is not the trickster skeleton but this? Is that a jaquin from Elena of Avalor? Is it an Alebrije? What the hell?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ERpK-7K70ws
remezcla.com/features/film/exclusive-meet-pepita-alebrijes-pixar-coco/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6RYejo6Hk
youtu.be/tdsFzftWuhY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's probably a Chupacabra

It could be a giant swinging pair of cow testicles and all of you would gargle them in your mouths lovingly so long as it says "Disney" or "Pixar" at the top.

It's a fucking Alebrije you gringos.

All the cool alebrijes out there and they make what's basically a winged lion?

They gotta make it so it translates into merchandise smooth and easy.

Have Pixars visuals gotten worse or is it just me

> merchandise
> of the bad guy

why is the mexican afterlife made of doritos

They're obviously cheetos.

If this is an Alebrije, it's lazy as fuck. It literally almost looks like a reverse griffin.

>The last memorable non-sequel by pixar was UP
Will coco surprise us?

You must have been a very lame kid. What, did you have a Superman lunch box?

I don't have high hopes

As opposed to the Lex Luthor lunchbox that totally existed?

Would this be related to the giant racing Cats in Grim Fandango

There, 200% better.

>We want the furry audience

A pinata?

So will Sakura use the Clow Cards in the final act?

Oh, you done did it now.

youtube.com/watch?v=ERpK-7K70ws

literally this. the only thing keeping me in the "I don't like it" category is those fucking eyes. They look so goddamn dumb in those skeletons, and the fact that they blink makes it even worse.

300% better

>I don't know who Darth Vader is

Because Disney got sued.

Why tf am I just now hearing about this movie looks interesting at least.

Pepita's a family spirit guide

remezcla.com/features/film/exclusive-meet-pepita-alebrijes-pixar-coco/

>As Adrian Molina, Coco‘s co-director, shared with Remezcla, Pepita is an alebrije. Part of Mexican artisan folklore, especially in the Oaxaca region, alebrijes are small figurines made out of paper maché or carved out of wood that represent mythical animal mashups. Molina and the Pixar team came across these brightly-colored sculptures while doing research for the film. They were immediately smitten with them.

>“You see these sculptures,” he told Remezcla, “and one, they’re so beautiful and two, there’s so much life and character in the way that they’re sculpted and the colors and the features. Seeing that we thought, ‘Oh, we would love to have a place in our film for this art form to be represented and for these creatures to come to life.'” Pepita is one of many. Molina said audiences can look forward to seeing another that’s a mish-mash of a frog and a rabbit, and others more reminiscent of armadillos, porcupines, and insects. But Pepita is by far the most imposing and awe-inspiring of them all. She functions in the film as a sort of spiritual guide for Miguel’s great-great grandmother Mamá Imelda, a nod both to the Land of the Dead world they’ve conjured up and to the origin of alebrijes themselves.

You don't remember the shitstorm Disney stirred up by trying to copyright Dia de los Muertos?

Zodd?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6RYejo6Hk

im so excited!

Why do USAnians have such a fucked up relation with Mexico and Mexican culture?

I'm mexican and this shit looks low effort and uncreative as fuck

Liberals aka the ones who make all the media don't give a fuck about actual Mexicans outside of as day laborers for mowing their big ass lawns

Close enough to share a border, far enough to never learn anything about it besides "makes brown people but less brown than black people"
Yankees a shit

you don't think it looks good at the very least?
the story is probably going to be mediocre, but the colors really pop in places

It's this weird dynamic where we steal a bunch of their culture and Americanize it as well as commercialize it, but they actually love seeing it get represented, so the only people who care end up being white female SJWs who lose their minds over cultural appropriation.

>while doing research for the film
Research aka watching Legend Quest on Netflix

Mexico, man. Not even once.

>Liberals

Living in texas, conservatives don't give two shits about us either. They can't tell us apart from the fucking natives.

>not emptying the sockets of all the living characters
squandered

i really really want to like this movie. i really do.

That's because we can barely present our own culture without Americanization, let alone other countries' cultures.

We're brown and have a different lanquage than the americans. If you wanna go a level deeper, most hispanic are catholics, and their has always been a slight hatred towards cultures with catholic faiths (irish, italians).

can't relate. I live in san antonio, where mexican culture is kind of all I know

San antonio is basically north mexico. Which is funny considering how Aggressively white Austin is.

Houstonian here what do you mean natives..?

Big Red! xD

I'm the indians.

Me too.

But this kid, man.

This fucking kid.

Well they couldn't do the giant skeli bull from the story they took it from so they had to think for themselves and made a 11 year old's DA furry

I've never experienced anyone mistaking Mexicans for native Americans.. ? Must be a thing where you live ¯\_(:/ )_/¯

I'd watch the movie if it was more like this

Because Book of Life owes more to Greek Mythology then it does Mexican culture.

Typical 'Murican here. Mexico's culture is really bizarre and alien to us, and I say that as someone who's been there before. Outside of their food, really all that most of us know about their culture are Luchadors and that weird aesthetic that all holidays have with the masks and skulls and flowery face paints.

Pic related was one the first results that came up when I googled "mexican aesthetic". But literally what the fuck am I looking at? It's beyond bizarre.

>two other San Antonio fags in the thread

What the fuck you guys.

I'm not from San antonio. I'm from Waco

ay bb u wan sum bfast tacos

I knew a Native dude who would often get confused for being mexican, though to be fair, even mexicans thought he was a mexican.

+5 cents will be added to your bank account

>book of life ripoff

i wanted mickey dollar!

Feel that this movie ultimately is gonna be ok, not good or bad but just ok. Like The Book of Life

Waco is cool too.

No cause Im not a fatass like 99% of this city.

>not choosing a death involving clogging your arteries with barbacoa
shit taste

Legend Questfags are so obnoxious. Their shitty show barely even covered Mexican lore and mythology. It was a generic "travel around the world" show. ,

They have better technology now but they lost their style along the way.

they ran out of the people with big ideas.

or maybe they just moved somewhere else :hint hint:

what the fuck mexico

>fucked up
Americans and Mexicans get on swimmingly compared to other cultures.

They share cultural icons and foods. They share a long and complicated history that doesn't involve slavery. They share languages, and Spanish is slowly becoming a required course in most American high schools.

Mexicans are America's bros. Just because Agent Orange doesn't like them doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

Drugs, human trafficking and cartels. Mexico is a huge entertainment provider.

Green with envy?

It's a furbait.

>Human/skeleton designs in Coco are ugly as shit
>The fucking Alebrije is actually passable
What the fuck are they doing

This thread needs more Mayan gods.

>Every animated film needs an obvious villain to tell a story.

Yawn.

Skylar after falling to the light side.

Aztec culture is getting very popular now isn't it?

Fucking skips, man.

>is it an alebrije?

I hope not. The whole point of those is that they look bizarre, surreal, frightening, and have hundreds of different forms since they're literally the figments of a crazy dude's imagination. If they chose to represent one by just making some basic rainbow tiger with wings, that'd seriously miss the mark so bad it begs the question of why they even did it in the first place.

But that’s an alebrije, a mestizo invention from the 1930s.

Like seriously, here's the same concept of a winged demon tiger thing that they probably used as inspiration, and yet its so much more unique and interesting because it explicitly emulates a less safe recycled symbol drawing tiger and goes for this weird impressionist thing.

Like, what's the fucking point of taking this neat thing and making it into some safe bland shit, when the actual literal point and reason people celebrate these is because they're really weird in a really specific way? What kind of fucking normie does something like that?

And that isnt even getting into some of the weirder shit, I mean, look at this.

This could be a fucking half life enemy, the fuck is it? a fucking toad shrimp thing eating some alien dragonfly? Shit's cool. It'd be like if they took this and then just turned it into the crab from moana. Why?

and if they wanted to make it a more noble, cute companion its not like they couldnt have done that while still keeping the aesthetics. There are alebrijes of cute non threatening animals too.

seriously, even if they played it super super safe, they could've just taken this and made it into a copy of the chicken from moana and it'd still be better.

>Amonkhet is released
>Assassin's Creed Origins is announced

>Ixalan is released
>Coco is coming out

I'm starting to wonder if Magic is prophetic.

El Presidente only hate illegals
And so do every other immigrant I know because it makes the process harder for everyone

Had a nigga yelling at me because I told him about a story of how a dude I knew got deported cause he fucked up and he said THE SYSTEM IS CORRUPT like yeah nigga, he was in the US for years

>Disney buys Pixar
>pillages tallent
>sudden spike in Disney product quality and drop in Pixar product qulity
What a series of coincidences!

For real, though. Will Pixar recover enough for the Incredibles 2 not to suck? I'm really looking forward to that movie.

hmm.

>muh brad brid will make the movie, he has a vision, he bows to no executives!

Actually...

youtu.be/tdsFzftWuhY

But they didn't, they just took John Lasseter and spread him thin across their animation departments

and now he has three studios to oversee.
(third one is Disney Toons, Planes and shit)

So am I

Isn't Inside Out generally considered memorable?

>feel, dammit, feel! - the movie.

nahh.

Cows don't have testicles.

Can you imagine if Cartoon Saloon animated these?

Yes but by general audiences.