I just finished watching this movie with some friends and they’re sucking it off to high hell but I can’t shake the...

I just finished watching this movie with some friends and they’re sucking it off to high hell but I can’t shake the feeling that it’s easily the most overrated film I’ve seen in a while. It’s technically gorgeous but i feel like in almost ever other facet it comes up short. It’s hard to vocalize why I don’t like it.

>inb4 Sup Forums

I’m the target librul demographic for the movie. I just think this movie gets a lot of respect for what it represents and not for what the movie actually is

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=66cIeb_nNO4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Get Out was much more overrated.

Nah, at least that movie was just a solidly written horror comedy that delivers a well paced, fun time. This movie is all shine and no substance and it’s themes juxtaposed with all the diversity issues for those particular Oscars makes a bunch of pretentious assholes overvalue this movie so hard

Acting was great. Story was fresh. Where did it come up short?

Spam this every time Moonlight is mentioned in a positive light
youtube.com/watch?v=66cIeb_nNO4

You can do the same with La La Land though!

No it would only overstate or undermine the points already being made with Chazelle's conscious dissonance and discontinuity.

>Griffith Observatory

I feel like the ending lacked resolution. Chiron's big emotional moment is admitting to his friend that he hasn't had any relationships with anyone. And then it just ends. Is it supposed to lack a sense of payoff? Do I just not get the pain and sadness of the black gay struggle?

Why even watch that shit? Are you gay?

Niggers

I liked it. In an era where all we get is "muh BBC is coming for dem white womyn", it was refreshing to see blacks as actual people.

>technically gorgeous?
I was bored with this movie from start to finish.

A non existent plot.

You are supposed to think it's sad for black gays that they feel obliged to buy into thug culture. Doesn't require a whole movie for that though. It's way to small to justify the rest of the movie. I felt like
>so??
>any idiot knows this
Also I don't identity with the character or his struggle so there is even less impact.

The main character was living a life of gang banging and drug dealing because that's what he was shown a "man" is as a child. His only male role model ever was a very flawed human being which gave him a very flawed view of masculinity. He acts very macho and tough but that's clearly not who he really is underneath. He has a lot of emotion and pain at heart, for instance his struggles with his addict mother who he loves and hates at the same time.
He is starving for emotional intimacy and deeply conflicted with the fear of being a "faggot", a lifestyle that is still harshly condemned by the black community. When he goes to meet up with his childhood friend and tells him he hasn't had any intimacy since then, he is essentially admitting his desire to simply be loved and feel affection that he so desperately craves. Having suppressed this desire for so long he finally gives in and falls into his friends arms, finally getting what he needs; love.

I thought it was bullshit that non white people couldnt identify with white characters. Recent Hollywood movies have made me realise I was wrong.

I don't and I assume can't give a fuck about a black man in that way. I don't care about his emotional issues.
To contrast, I thought Manchester by the sea was boring too but I stayed slightly more engaged because oh look, white man doing white man things.

If you disagree with me you are disagreeing with minorities needing minority lead films, you disgusting racist.

I don't disagree with you. I am racist myself, but I still enjoyed the movie, although i didn't think it was as good as people portray it to be. I thought it actually stayed out of race-politics completely which was a pleasant surprise. As for you identifying with white people more that is completely natural and don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. In-group preference is an intrinsic human behavior from the minute you're born and you see your mother. Even babies demonstrate this, preferring to be held by someone who looks like them.

also forgot to add don't confuse virtue signaling liberals projecting their dogma and political beliefs onto this movie with the actual subject matter and content of the movie!

I am not racist. I dont wish bad things on other people. I am a race realist though. I am aware of the short comings of some more melanin endowed people.

I think it's great that minorities are getting their own movies now. Just don't expect me to watch them.

>Even babies demonstrate this, preferring to be held by someone who looks like them.
after a few months

>Story was fresh
How was anything about it "fresh"?
>bullying
>poverty
>the ghetto, crime
>loneliness
>homosexuality
All age-old and done before.

You forgot the least credible part of the movie : he goes to jail but later say his first love he never had gay sex beside him. Yeah sure buddy

not all in one movie

The whole third act is pointless until that line too.

This is the main thing for me. The only slightly new thing is this
and that's super weak as a drive for a movie.

I mean I didn't hate it but I don't think it was a masterpiece either.

Beating and raping a wh*te boi isn't gay.

I watched it a few weeks ago for the first time as well and I felt the same way.

It is good. The only people who hate it are normalfags who don't understand it. It not gay kino, it is /r9k/kino

Because the director was influenced heavily by Wong Kar-wai and plays tribute to him by referncing several of his shots and scenes. Do you niggers have any idea how movies work? Directors will do this shit to other directors who they respect.

>whypipo
>American prison
Pick one

Evry prison gets a few to keep the black inmates calm. Like how they allow a certain amount of drug use.

And they are protected by guards and warden. I did my phd of sociology in Berkeley specifically on the topic of institutional racism and his representation in jail, you will not win this debate mate

It's not a debate you autistic fuck. I said that raping a white boy isn't gay as a joke.

I thought it was mediocre until the 3rd bit, that was fantastic

That's because no one sympathizes with drug dealers who happen to also be black and gay, as if this constitutes worthwhile character development and narrative on its own. He's contributing to the decline of his neighborhood, undoubtedly effecting families and children who grow up there, perpetuating the very cycle that brought him there. He deserves everything and more by the end of the film. It's one thing to explore how a dysfunctional childhood and bullying effect one's future, but it's another too use it justify poor life decisions and then wrap it all up with cheap emotional pandering. The film is insincere, dishonest garbage, and it's sick.

I can't necessarily identify with being black, but that didn't mean I couldn't empathize with the struggles that Chiron went through and be engaged by it. Being bullied, having addict as a mother, being betrayed by someone he shared a moment of intimacy as a gay kid, suffering because he's forced to build and maintain a psychological wall between his faux thug persona and his real internal emotions... These are things you should be able to empathize and understand on some level even if they don't necessarily speak to you on a highly personal level.

It doesn't justify anything. Chiron is a victim of his surroundings, poverty, lack of parenting and cultural and social discrimination of gay people. In a dog eat dog world he isn't allowed to be his true self, and that forces himself to participate in the ghetto gangbanger lifestyle in order to survive and perpetuate the cycle of violence and discrimination by denying his own feelings.

Moonlight is a story about how society creates its own enemies by not allowing people to be themselves and freely love who they want to love.

While I shared the sentiment that the movie was lacking in some departments and was definitely being hyped, it really did stick with me for a couple of days. I'm still conflicted whether I would recommend this movie, but it was really something else in my eyes. You could say it really made me think.

I dont tend to like these deep emotional types of movies though I will give them a try. I sometimes enjoy them. Minority leads push me further away.

>Story was fresh

It had a story? I can't remember one.

It's a story of Chiron's life in three phases.

Great takeaway. You helped me appreciate the movie a lot more. I loved it for the cinematography and acting but felt like the character development and story were unfulfilling poorly realized. You put it in a different light for me and I don't feel so conflicted about it anymore.

this

>It’s hard to vocalize why I don’t like it.

Then your opinion is worth nothing and you should stop posting on this board

It's not the black gay struggle. The other guy is also black and gay, but he accepted it and was happy. The movie is about Chiron's particular loneliness, largely due to betrayal of his mother, father figure and friend. How do people not get this?

It's obvious. I just didn't care. I assume because I couldn't relate to the character.

>technical gorgeous
They literally
Slapped some Instagram filters
Call it done

Digital cinematography was a mistake

It was gay. Also it was pretty fuckin racist What the black male father figure has to be a drug dealer?
Only saw the first half, had to walk out of the cinema when the dude starts jerking off that other dude.

>jerking off the other dude.
I don't even remember that part. When the movie ended I felt cheated that there were no gay scenes. No homo.

It happened at the beach when they were kids. It's part of the reason Chiron feels betrayed, when the kid then the next day bullies him at school to fit in with the other kids.

I remember now.