2017 in animated film

Some notes. Feel free to add your own observations.
>Spark was a box office bomb, just making around $750k against a $40 million budget. Runner up bomb was Rock Dog, making a worldwide total of $20 mil against a $60 mil budget.
>My Little Pony is the only 2D animated film to come out this year, and the third to come out since 2010.
>Three sequels (Cars 3, DM3, NJ2).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film
marketwatch.com/story/mattel-could-get-wrecked-by-weak-cars-3-toy-sales-2017-07-28
youtube.com/watch?v=iakTl9SZTTY
youtube.com/watch?v=SyY7guswDEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The year isn't even over and we already have a best (Lego Batman) and worst (Emoji Movie) for the year.

>the oscars will dismiss lego batman and captain underpants because they think they're too silly and just give it to coco because disney gave them a briefcase of cash
kek

>the absolute STATE of Western animation

>my little pony movie
NO, STOP , THE FUCKING PONYFAGS FROM /MLP/ ARE GONNA CHIMP OUT IF IT SUCKS OR PRAISE IT AND BRAG ABOUT IT IF ITS GOOD, STOOP
STOOOOOOOOOOOP

>only one 2d film in the list

>a movie about a girl and a black bull
JUST

and its on my fucking birthday wtf

Hello, fan of the fandom here.
Calling it now. It's going to be around 50 to around 70% on Rotton Tomatoes.

>MLP turns out to be a critical darling and commercial success
>accidentally revitalizes 2D animated movies

Didn't mlp already have like 3 movies where they're humans? What's so special about this one?

>2017 will be saved by lego, underwear, and poni
christ

They were just tv movies, this is the big time.

But Ninjago is fucking shit
Lego isn't saving anything, and considering that Lego Batman is seen as a Batman movie before being seen as a Lego movie, that also barely even counts

Those were all Flash animated direct-to-DVD movies. This one is a proper feature film, animated in Toonboom and everything.

>Western
I think you mean American.

Okay...
But what's the fucking point of it? What is it even gonna be about?
Why make a movie and not just keep going with the show?
Why the fuck does it exist?

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

no need for cash, they just give votes based on how much their kids liked the movie

>still triggered by ponies in 2017

Is Ninjago really that bad?

I can already forsee all of those upcoming animated films being utter shit
All 5 of them are gonna be fucking awful

some villain crashing a pony party, mc and her friends has to sop it, in the end the villain gets defeated with the power of friendship

>reason
see pic

Basically an army from nowhere sweeps in and destroys the capital city, and the ponies have to travel to find a queen who can help them save their home.
Also based on what was revealed at Hascon, the events of the film will tie into the show's 8th season.

Yes. Cheaper gags than the first two films, another dad-son relationship bitchfest, none of the heart or fun of the first two.

>animated movies aren't real movies
mr. Fox was awesome, but still
fuck you

pls end me

he's a representative of the state of academy

>8th season.
What the actual fuck
I think I stopper around season 4 maybe?
I stopped watching after a fucking baby was born and the mc got a castle or some shit
How can it still be going

Cars 3 is the second lowest earning Pixar film; only The Good Dinosaur did worse. It still hasn't even caught up with the unadjusted worldwide gross for A Bug's Life or Toy Story yet.

The Boss Baby is about middle of the pack for Dreamworks but has outperformed any of their films over the last few years. Kung Fu Panda 3 did slightly better worldwide but had a higher production budget.

Big budget, big studio animated films are starting to show diminishing returns especially for sequels.

>We're actually getting a 2D movie this year.
>The animation looks like a TV movie they decided to release in theaters.
>It's based on a show I don't even like.
Son of a bitch!

The castle came up at the end of season 4, and the baby was born at the start of season 6.

You know Boss Baby had a lot of good artistic choices and some nice 2D animation in it. I would even say the jokes were better then Captain Underpants (along with the art direction, not talking about the character designs by the way).

Is all the hate because it became a faggot meme?

Christ what a shitshow. At least with last year there were some actual good movies to nominate

>Cars 3 is the second lowest earning Pixar film; only The Good Dinosaur did worse. It still hasn't even caught up with the unadjusted worldwide gross for A Bug's Life or Toy Story yet.

this allegory of pixar giving up and passing the mantle to wdas, is actually a toy commercial, it wasnt made to be a be a box office hit, just revive for the franchise.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film

In order of release:
>Arctic Justice: Thunder Squad
>Peter Rabbit
>Early Man
>Isle of Dogs
>Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes
>Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero
>Untitled Laika film
>The Incredibles 2
>Hotel Transylvania 3
>Smallfoot
>How the Grinch Stole Christmas
>Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
>Untitled animated Spider-Man film

If "Isle of Dogs" doesn't get a nomination then the Academy is dead to me.

Pony movie unironically looks pretty good desu

>Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes

Is the show still good though?

Reminder that MLP was banished to its own board because the mods were asshurt about too many threads but allow 18 simultaneous threads bitching about Rick and Morty, Samurai Jack, and/or Steven Universe.

You're right actually, my bad

>>Smallfoot

any news on that?

Still good, yeah. The animation has improved a lot, and there have been lots of memorable episodes this past season. Also, William Shatner and Felicia Day just guest starred in an episode.

sure, but they also generated assloads of pony memes and reaction images

What a reductive and incorrect statement. The MLP cancer spread beyond Sup Forums which is why it demanded containment.

>Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero
>Isle of Dogs
>Early Man

Well it looks like there's some good stuff coming to make up for the shit show that was 2017

>Cars 3
>87%

What did critics mean by this?

Also this list is missing Wolfwalkers and The Breadwinner.

freaking chinese cartoons

also cars3 is 68%

so why are bronies so rare to see these days?

you have no idea how bad it got
you child
you have no idea

when twilight got kil... got wings, most of them left the fandom.

It got pretty fucking bad in 2011.

yeah, that sounds like an exaggeration

General fandom divisiveness, being ostracized for their fandom, being banned for posting pony outside their board, a number of things.

Woah, so this...this is the power of western animation. Wow. This sure beats Japan any day. For real.

What the fuck, I had no idea Cars 3 was out already. I hear more about Captain Underpants on here than Cars, so it must've been really unremarkable

I'll take this shit over generic Harem #6543254 any day

Holy shit, Cars barely recouped it's marketing+production budget, the movie is a goddamn bomb. What happened? (besides the movie being shit)

Cars 3 was basically "Kids These Days But Marketed To Kids For Some Reason". Basically, shit.
Captain Underpants was faithful to the tone and message of the source material, was funny, and was animated beautifully. It's a crime that it only barely made back its budget.

I think you mean unitedstatian.
Last I heard the plan was gather at the premiere and fap at the first butt shot.

you're lucky for having that gift

It's made more than three times it's budget now, which is possibly because the worldwide releases took their sweet ass time to come out for some reason.

Wow, the lost village seemed promising in the trailers, is it really that bad?

>Sony

>smurfs

The animation is great, but that's all it has going for it. The story is just incredibly dull.

Sony has no idea what the fuck they're doing, do they?
>turned down the Popeye film because they weren't sure there was an audience for it
>almost got the license for the MLP movie but wanted to turn it into another Smurfs film, so Hasbro went to Lionsgate
>snatched up the rights to make a move about emojis but never planned on actually writing a story for it, so they dumped product placement everywhere and copied other better films for the story

please refresh my memory, the latest sony animation film I've ever watched was surf up

And that's just their animation department. Even their live-action films have gone to shit.

>almost got the license for the MLP movie but wanted to turn it into another Smurfs film, so Hasbro went to Lionsgate

Is this true?
If so, thank god Hasbro isnt run by retards

marketwatch.com/story/mattel-could-get-wrecked-by-weak-cars-3-toy-sales-2017-07-28

>“Based on the current worldwide revenue for the ‘Cars 3’ movie, we believe Mattel is likely to underperform its $300 million POS target,” wrote MKM Partners analyst Eric Handler in a note. He said analyst research suggests that “Cars 3” toy sales are down more than 30% domestically, and global box office appears to be tracking at about 40% of “Cars 2.”

RIP Pixar

How long before Pixar gets relegated to DinseyToon quality of movies?

>Even Hasbro, who let the Bayformers happen, wanted none of Sony's shit.

Your pain is hilarious

there's more to life than studio-released CG-I garbage user, an entire world of animation you literally have no excuse to be ignoring
>The Breadwinner
>Big Bad Fox and Other Tales
>Loving Vincent
>My Entire High School Sinking into the Sea
>The Girl Without Hands
>Mutafukaz
>Zombillenium
Not to mention some great anime films
>In This Corner of the World
>Lu Over the Garden Wall
>A Silent Voice
>The Night is Short, Walk On Girl
>Mary and the Witch's Flower
>Napping Princess

Literally no excuse, that goes for all of you guys, but sure keep watching the same Disney and Illumination films and lament the death of animated film. Captain Underpants was pretty good, too
>inb4 no replies

very soon.

>Popeye

nobody gives a shit about Popeye physical comedy crap anymore. let it go.

Sony's Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Hotel Transylvannia.

Those are much better than some 15 minute Popeye short that tries to pad itself out to 90 minutes.

>UP
the other movies didn't stand a chance

Eat a fucking dick you shit-taste faggot

I can't remember the last sony pictures animation that I enjoyed. Their live action department is also abysmal; they put out pixels, the new ghostbusters, and the amazing spider-schlocks.

Yup. The emails were revealed during that big Sony email leak. This is one from Amy Pascal after reading an early draft of the script. Hasbro was committed to a big adventure story from day one (there was an early email from a Hasbro rep saying "People seem to really like show's strong characterization and big adventure stories, so we kinda want to keep that going for the film"), and Sony's insistence on removing that killed the deal long before the emails were leaked.

>Lego Ninjago gets mediocre reviews
dangit. I wanted it to be good like the other lego movies. I'm still gonna go see it since I wanna judge for myself.

>The Emoji Movie made more money than Captain Underpants

it doesn't matter, we are doomed anyway...

they need to sell the sea ponies again

youtube.com/watch?v=iakTl9SZTTY

Boss Baby wasn't that bad and Smurf The Lost Village would have been good too if not for all the forced rap bullshit being forced in to the movie.

This needs to happen solely for the implications of male pregnancy

2d is dead and mostly just used in the West as a gimmick to try to make a movie seem deeper and more interesting because the animators suck at writing and aesthetics.

>male pregnancy

You don't know that Male Seahorses are the ones that get pregnant?

I know but... let's say is not my thing...
all the cake for you

Her villain song is pretty great though
youtube.com/watch?v=SyY7guswDEU

Don't worry, toy sales will carry it.

Yes, absolutely. Tempest is shaping up to be an incredible antagonist.

>tfw avoiding spoilers for the movie until it comes out

I honestly can't tell if this year was worse than last year's line up of animated films.
>Lego Batman
Really enjoyed this one. It does get a little overbearing with the humor, but the characterization of Batman and Joker's relationship was mildly amusing.
>Rock Dog
Pretty run of the mill story. There were a couple decent laughs I got from the cat midway through, but other than that this one is a pass.
>Boss Baby
Unusual premise for a movie that involves a talking baby, but there were a lot of moments that were supposed to make me laugh, but fell really short. It's decent at best.
>Smurfs: Lost Village
I saw this one more recently. I appreciate that this one feels more true to the original source material animation-wise, but damn is this movie pretty generic from a storytelling standpoint. Passable.
>Spark
Never saw this one.
>Captain Underpants
Say what you want, but I think this might be the best one of the year so far. Toilet humor was low key to the point of actually being somewhat tolerable. They integrated some of the best parts of books 1, 2 and 4 to make for a really fun story. The usage of multi-media animation-wise was also a pleasant surprise. Totally worth it whether or not you grew up with the graphic novels.
>Cars 3
It's about as average as the first film. Not bad, but not great either. Story was pretty predictable, and I rarely felt there was tension during each race that Lightning McQueen had.
>Despicable Me 3
Didn't watch it. Can't support this company if they plan to spam us with one of these films every year.
>Emoji Movie
I didn't need to watch it to know this movie was bad. DO NOT GIVE SONY ANY MONEY. Let them learn their lesson in that animation companies should treat their content as something people can look back on and appreciate years later.
>Nut Job 2
Didn't watch.
>Lego Ninjago
Haven't seen yet.

No.
The animation has improved, but all of the elements tyhat made the series special have been removed and replaced with generic shit since the creator left.
Even the fucking protagonists themselves have been sidelined by some forced characters created by the news staff and hamfisted in as the new protagonists: there's a reason why the comic, who used to sell over 30K issues per month is now barely scratching 8K sales at much.

well, it's not a Disney classical movie song but it's not so bad...

How many seasons have this thing?

>2017
>Caring about Oscars

It's on its 7th season now.

Holy shit, you're delusional.

Well, we could say that Twilight was killed at a meta level because after she got her wings and title she NEVER went back to be the same and all elements that made her amusing and relatable were removed and replaced with generic princcess crap.

It's a miracle this movie managed a nomination at all, considering they think animation is for kids.

was there anything else in 2009?

>tfw avoiding spoilers til it comes out
>tfw too much of a pussy to see it in theaters
>tfw also a quality stickler so have to wait until BluRay comes out

UP