Viggo Mortensen refused to reprise his role as Aragorn in The Hobbit because Aragorn wasn't in the Hobbit

Viggo Mortensen refused to reprise his role as Aragorn in The Hobbit because Aragorn wasn't in the Hobbit.

How can one man be so based?

huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/viggo-mortensen-hobbit-role-aragorn-actor_n_3353689.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dLR_l2M1Tv0
ew.com/article/2014/05/17/viggo-mortensen-lord-of-the-rings-interview/
youtube.com/watch?v=21QK87jzwkQ&t=466s
youtube.com/watch?v=s8hzFFKCeGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

good on him for not getting involved in that disaster

He takes his roles very seriously. He's really an amazing fella. He's done a lot of interesting things outside of acting, too.

what a hero he made it easier for us to pretend it doesn't exist

He's a good lad. They would have been offering fuck loads of money, which undoubtedly would have been tempting, but turned it down for the integrity of the story.

What a moron, would have been paid a fortune for what would amount to a cameo. Free holiday to New Zealand too.

Anyone here seen Captain Fantastic? It's fucking great.

I thought it was pretty good

The two types of lads in this world

>implying chad owns a desktop

yeah, def better than lord of the rings too cause lord of the rings didn't have enough action.

>implying he wouldn't shitpost on desktop laptop and mobile simultaneously

They are both nihilist manchildren

Chad has never heard of Sup Forums, has never heard of a desktop and knows that laptops are ancient history. Most he would have is an ipad, more likely just an iphone.

>the virgin PC user
>the chad ipadder

How are , nihilist manchildren? They both express different points of view and both of them are valid.

Chad absolutely shitposts on Sup Forums in between swiping on tinder for hookups. He recognises how fun the site can be while offering genuine free speech and even sometimes a meaningful discussion. Don't forget to be a Chad you also need to have a high IQ otherwise you're just a meathead jock or whatever. So he probably enjoys btfoing brainlets on here

based on the rows on monitors in the chad section of that MS Paint drawing, I'd say he's probably at the university library where he is no doubt getting top marks in some STEM subject while also drinking 20 beers a night.

>to be a Chad you also need to have a high IQ
More evidence that he's never visited Sup Forums.

He's an artist which is rare in today's hollywood.
Guy speaks 6 languages, I'm danish and I'm honestly amazed by his ability to still speak our language fluently despite not having a connection to the country for practically his entire life.

I've never seen him put in a bad performance in any movie. Had the Oscars not turned into a complete shitshow I'd really want him to get one.

>I've never seen him put in a bad performance in any movie
recommend me a movie of his

He reminds me a little of Alain Delon, he has these really soft and innocent eyes.
Good for him, he made cash with the Lord of the Rings and he is a smart and great guy, there is nothing I despise quite as much as people who have no integrity.

He's a commie cuck

>Man is rational
>Based
I like him but this is no reason to call him based

eastern promise
the history of violence

eastern promises

Hidalgo
History of violence
Eastern Promises
The one where he fucks goop up the shit pipe

It wasn't that he wasn't in the hobbit so much as he would have been ten years old in the timeline.

Jauja is fantastic. His Cronenberg stuff, too.

What? Rational would have been to take the fucking money you idiot, he did the integer thing, aka the based thing.

Rationality is not morality, rationality is a pure profit and loss calculation that you make on your head, morality is something that comes with actual integrity and empathy.

the profit/loss calculation isnt neccessarily restricted to money only. if he values his integrity higher than he values the money he can make by selling out its rational not to do it. its just not the most profitable in terms of money made.

It's a heart vs brain kind of dilemma here and I think you completely try to spin this your way.

He denied to be in the Hobbit movies because he knew they would be shit just by the fact alone that they wanted him in them again when Aragorn never was in the books.
He didn't take the money because he didn't want to participate in a money grabbing shitty sequel to a work he loves and sees emotional value in.
His position in which he is due to being a smart man(saving his money) allowed him to do the right thing which was not to participate in a lie, an actual, factual lie, that movie bosses wanted to tell for money, more money that they would have shared with him.

I hope you can understand it now.

why are european actors always better

Did you know that when he was offered the role of Aragorn he only had $11 dollars and half a sandwich to his name?

lol, virgin

The first thing Orlando Bloom bought was a Lamborghini. Viggo bought second breakfast

After LOTR he acted in a Spanish movie, Alatriste, I'm spanish and I think he did a really decent job, had a kinda weird voice but good since he is half argentinian, he didn't had any accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=dLR_l2M1Tv0

The movie is not kino, watchable and it had the largest budget of spanish films, which is obviously pretty shit because it budget was probably the same as a single GoT episode. The movie was based on a book series and the author I think was pretty assblasted by the critics and blamed industry/budget/government aids because he wanted to have many films and at the end he could only get one single movie. Basically is like making harry potter on a single movie.

Here's based Viggo explaining the hackery of Jackson which started with LOTR already
>All three LOTR films were nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards, with the final installment, The Return of the King, taking that top prize, as well as a best director statue for Jackson. But Mortensen has a decidedly different take on the quality of the films. He believes The Fellowship of the Ring is the best movie in the franchise, in part because Jackson relied less on special effects for that outing.

>“Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back,” Mortensen says. “In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier.”

>Mortensen says the “ballooning” of Jackson’s reliance on CGI began with the second film, The Two Towers, and has increased with each subsequent project. “It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10,” Mortensen says.

>Mortensen has deliberately chosen more character-driven fare since LOTR launched him into global superstardom, and had hopes that Jackson might return to his small-film roots as well.

>“I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make,” Mortensen says. “But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones - and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a $90million budget. That should have been a $15million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him.”

ew.com/article/2014/05/17/viggo-mortensen-lord-of-the-rings-interview/

You probably also make Star Wars threads

How would he even fit in? The hobbit takes place like a hundred years before lord of the rings, why would he be there looking older than he did in the other movies?

>youtube.com/watch?v=21QK87jzwkQ&t=466s

>tfw you will never see a high/low fantasy style movie starring Viggo Mortensen and Mads Mikkelsen as the lead characters, with Mads Mikkelsens brother as the antagonist.

>Refuse to answer
It seems like he had no choice but to do this interview.

>Here's based Viggo explaining the hackery of Jackson which started with LOTR already
>>All three LOTR films were nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards, with the final installment, The Return of the King, taking that top prize, as well as a best director statue for Jackson. But Mortensen has a decidedly different take on the quality of the films. He believes The Fellowship of the Ring is the best movie in the franchise, in part because Jackson relied less on special effects for that outing.
I agree, that first movie is perfect.

old news but yeah, spot on

The Road

>I agree, that first movie is perfect.
It's the movie I have watched the most times in my life. I stopped counting after 21 viewings, and this was over 15 years ago.

>CGI is to Peter what the ring was to mankind

Life imitates kino

Absolutely right. The Lovely Bones was where Jackson lost me. The CGI in that movie is unbearable

hyped rom the amazon series I suppose?

Was CGI a mistake?

based

No, CGI allows filmmakers to put imagery on the screen they only could have dreamed of even 20 years ago. Over-reliance on CGI when using it as a cost-saving measure is a mistake.

That depends entirely on how it's used, it is a tool like every other kind of effect

Eastern Promises
The Road

Hes an asshole that thinks hes argentinian despiste living in a mansion in Hollywood.

He saw what happened to Mark Hamill in SW

You'd be surprised how many chads own a desktop

That last part is exactly right. I can understand PJ doing King Kong that was an even bigger passion project for him than LOTR and a movie he'd been trying to make for a long time based on his love for the original. He even owns a bunch of props from the original 30s version he bought before making LOTR.

But fucking Lovely Bones, Tintin & The Hobbit took him from being one of the biggest names in Hollywood to being a hack.

>the chad ipadder

>doesn't even know what a "computer" is
>posts splayed in the grass for maximum comfort and connection to nature

aca esta la gloriosa barra de san lorenzo

>giving a fuck about anything beyond acting skill and kino quotient when thinking about actors

you're basically a gossip mag reader at this point

Still 10x better than nu Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Thor:Ragnarok, etc.

Not a mistake, but it's relied on too much imo for too many things nowadays in flims

No. I don't even think the CGI in ROTK was overused but when you look at The Hobbit trilogy PJ was perfectly comfortable making retarded decisions because "eh we can do that in CGI" and his insistence on pushing technology like 3D (which apparently led to more CGI being used over models and practical effects) and that 48fps clusterfuck

how can one man be so based

>BTFOs hackson completely for worshiping the CGI meme
>still thinks he can be saved and praises his now forgotten skill as an auteur

Viggo the Merciful

was he even fucking ALIVE then?

All in how it's used, like anything. Imagine if people used stunt doubles for close-ups of the face in dialogue sequences. That's the equivalent of how a lot of CGI is used.

No. It really wasn't. I'm sorry, not only "shit is shit" but people know what they're getting with MCU movies by now. There was an expectation of what a LOTR follow up would be, such a high bar set by those films that Hobbit just failed miserably to live up to.

try watching Alatriste, it's historical fiction but it has that storybook vibe to it, based Viggo is perfect in it

Numenoreans have longer lifespans than humans, so I think so.

It's not but considering you're an autistic underage it's understandable someone with your cognitive deficiencies would find garbage attractive.

I've asked my LOTR nerd friend about it and there's some confusion over whether they kept the time skip in FOTR where Gandalf spends like 10 years or some shit researching the ring after Bilbos birthday.

I think he was alive but would've been a teenager at the time still living with the elves so the whole namedropping in the 3rd film doesn't make sense.

>Appears in just three scenes in The Prophecy
>Best scenes in the film

Viggo playing Lucifer is probably the best version of the character ever in film

youtube.com/watch?v=s8hzFFKCeGQ

I want to use this thread to point out just how cool even his name is.
Viggo Mortensen.

looking at all the other things he's done, it makes it seem like acting was just a hobby for him.

>Gandalf spends like 10 years or some shit researching the ring after Bilbos birthday
17 years iirc.
Also at the time he would have been a lad of around 20 years living in Rivendell

Aragorn would be in his 20s and in Rivendell at the time of The Hobbit, which is 60 years before Lord of the Rings. Viggo says how old he is in the extended editions...80 something.

fucking trawled though lists to satisfy my autism, he was born in TA2931, Bilbo returned to The Shire in TA2942.

Meaning he was fucking eleven when The Hobbit concluded, what the fuck was Hackson thinking

I wish I could be half as based as him

it's a standard danish name, though Viggo is old-fashioned.

Other examples of Danish names

Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal)

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister)

As it should be. Acting is literally just being good at portraying someone that's not necessarily yourself (if there even is a pure version of yourself which is doubtful)
People turning these airheads into gods is so pathetic

Viggo sounds like some ancient Viking name

I was about to say 17 but thought it sounded wrong. So him being 20 is that based off the age he tells Eowin he is in TTT and without the 17 year time skip or with it?

Die in a fire.

Absolutely not

See that sounds more right to me.
>what was he thinking?
Same thing he was thinking putting Legolas and Frodo in the fucking thing

>nu Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Thor:Ragnarok
one of these things is not like the others
you have shit taste, as blockbusters go the hobbits were dramatically worse than the three capeshits you mentioned. better than tlj tho

viggo is too based for the world

Agreed. Nuwars is the only thing worse as accepting those films damn near retroactively ruins the characters of the OT in ways that the PT didn't even manage to do.

It is an old Nordic name that means battle.

He keeps getting better and better

>Hey kids, define fascism
>it's totalitarian NATIONALISM daddy
>you recited the kike propaganda perfectly, see you don't need public schooling or CNN or google to be a good goy

the point was that good(perfect) parenting gives better education than public school, nothing to do with being good goy

Ok ill bite. Define facism for me.

he actually had a career before LotR. he's fine.

Agreed

I agree good parenting does that but the little girl says it like she's quoting straight from the first google link, intelligence means thinking for yourself not reciting like a parrot.

It is a totalitarian government but it has nothing to do with nationalism, the soviet union was a global communist movement and undoubtebly fascist