Any big documentary recommendations? Only really watched pic related and Louis Theroux shit

Any big documentary recommendations? Only really watched pic related and Louis Theroux shit.

Start with Herzog

Going Clear is much better than Louis' Scientology doc.
Tickled was very interesting.
The Jinx is great.

Jiro Dreams of Putting the Fish on The Rice, purely for the meme value.

my personal favourites
no bully :L

If you haven't OP, watch The Look Of Silence. It's a companion piece to The Act Of Killing but it follows and interviews the victims instead of the killers. It's absolutely fantastic

This, La Soufrière is a good introduction

Herzog is essential viewing.
Grey Gardens
Crumb
The salt of the earth
I like Perlov's Diaries

Dark Days

murderball

This is easily the most entertaining documentary I've ever seen. It follows a Danish guy who buys a diplomatic visa in the Central African Republic and pretends he's going to build a matchstick factory there. It was very controversial when it came out because the whole point is just to show how fucked up and crooked the country is. The owner of a diamond mine actually gives him a couple pygmies as a gift

Dear Zachary, if only for its insight into the existence and nature of completely batshit psycho BPD women walking around.

seconded

here is the main character in a boat with his pygmies

The Red Chapel (2009)
Three danes, two of them half-korean, one of them in a wheelchair go to North Korea under the cover of a comedy theatre group visiting NK through a cultural exchange program. Hijinks and shenanigans ensue.

Oh shit, these two are made by the same guy. That dude has massive balls.

Vice documentaries before 2014 or their warzone stuff is usually really good especially the ones with shane smith

Here is one that no one else is going to recommend, and seemingly no one on Sup Forums has seen besides me, which is fucking atrocious, because this is the #1 funniest documentary of all time:

>Hands on A Hardbody

You have to appreciate the influence it had on the documentary genre. Pretty much every documentary for years after it came out was almost exactly like it.
>Sweeping, fast-paced score, mainly strings
>low DOF on something colorful
>smooth pans set to the music
>interview dialogue over the subject on a bicycle
>"final line of dialogue" back to the speaker, hang in silence for 2 seconds while they look around

Connections by this magnificent bastard

>KINO

Start with The Thin Blue Line, it's the documentary that all modern ones are essentially based off of

Then watch Salesman, which is the first great documentary, but one whose style hasn't been emulated again until very recently

Other must watches are:
The Fog of War
The Five Obstructions
The Power of Nightmares
Hoop Dreams
Grizzly Man
Weiner
Inside Job
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

who took johnny

I watch lo and behold and i was dissapointed.
Dear zachary
Stories we tell
Resurrect dead
Gates of heaven
Trans fatty lives
I thinking in the las 2 decades
If you wanna go farther Titicus follies

Master of the Universe
Grizzly Man
+ anything by Werner Herzog

Herzog's documentaries are overrated as shit
Watched Grizzly Bear, wasn't even a documentary

>Halfway through the film Herzog chimes in and talks about "Uhm, actually i disagree with him about his view on nature."
Like, shut the fuck up. Nobody asked you. Am i watched a documentary about the Grizzly Dude or you?

the shorts are the best ones