The most unlikable main character ever

Am I the only person who saw this film and thought Frances McDormand's character in Three Billboards was incredibly unlikable?

spoilers below

>middle-aged and still works at a fucking gift shop (no HS diploma?)
>marries an abusive bad-boy who dumps her for some fresh meat
>does nothing to prevent her 13-15 year old daughter from dressing slutty and going out by herself at night
>wears a weird-ass bandanna/sweatband
>throws food at her son for no goddamn reason
>uses a drill to assault a dentist and gets away with it
>assaults two high school students and gets away with it
>destroys a vital part of the town, committing millions in dollars of property damage and gets away with it
>leads on and then rejects a dwarf
>wants to build a genetic database of every man and assumes they're all rapists until proven otherwise
>her dumb billboard stunt had no impact on finding her daughter's killer
>decides to travel 1000+ miles to fucking KILL a guy that is alleged to have raped a woman on the say-so of some retarded cop

Does she have some sort of mental disorder that explains her behaviour? Borderline or bipolar? Either that or she has a very low I.Q.

Literally every critical review only focused on the redemption of Dixon. Every review justified her psychotic antics as something any mother would do.

Yes, she's a modern woman user, do you have a problem with that?

ITT movies men will never understand

That's the point of her character
Seems like the director had you on a leash OP

The movie was generally horrible with how it addressed or rather didn't, the crazy actions of its characters. Most people in the movie are dumb assholes. For some reason, only Dixon and the police chief are treated with any compassion by the movie, despite them not deserving any.
McDormand's character is used more as a prop, a plot device, rather than a real human being.

>Woman is a pile of shit and takes no responsibility for her actions while blaming others for her mistakes.
Sounds pretty standard to me.

>>decides to travel 1000+ miles to fucking KILL a guy that is alleged to have raped a woman on the say-so of some retarded cop
So are you just pretending to be stupid or what?

she's not supposed to be likeable.

I know this confuses the burger, but main characters don't have to be nice or good or heroes.

Yeah, but that doesn't make the movie bad.

See, you didn't understand it

From the Wikipedia plot summary
>Abercrombie informs Dixon that the DNA sample does not match DNA found on Angela's body and that the man was overseas on military duty at the time of the murder. Mildred and Dixon conclude that the man must be guilty of some other rape, and set out for Idaho to kill him. On the way, Mildred confesses to Dixon that she set the police station fire, though he indicates that he knew it was her all along. They express reservations about their mission but agree to decide what to do along the way.

They don't have to be angels but you have to find a reason to root for them.

Making a character bad on purpose is a bad point. It seemed like McDonagh tried to make her likable by swinging her from a mother destroyed by grief to a psychotic bitch.

>They don't have to be angels but you have to find a reason to root for them.

t.confused burger

You're not suppose to like her, you're suppose to empathize with her situation while disapproving of her actions.

>>leads on and then rejects a dwarf

they really should have made her a lesbo.

user is right though. You need to be able to understand and relate to characters.

>Making a character bad on purpose is a bad point
I see you did not understand the movie at all

Where's the outrage about Dinklage's character btw? I hated how he was just used as a joke, the guy deserves better roles than that.

Wow, does all this really happened in the film?
I thought that I’m sexist for not liking her from the trailer. But if her character is supposed to be an unlikable feminazi retard then I guess she really does deserve her oscar, huh.

Stop please, I only have two brainlet wojacks saved

Look, I wouldn't care if she was rude and uncouth if she was also trying to the blow the whistle on some sort of police cover-up of her daughter's death.

But there was no cover-up. There was nothing the Chief could do. She decided to start a conflict that led to nothing. Why make a movie about that?

What would you say is the point of the movie then?

I am amazed at how many people had this movie fly over their fucking heads, and most of them are on Sup Forums of all places.

>They don't have to be angels but you have to find a reason to root for them

Maybe capeshit is more of your taste where main characters are always the good guy and never the villain.

Maybe you do, but the rest of us are capable of independent thought.

Holy shit do you put effort into your retardation or does it come naturally?

>characters must be likeable

>Why make a movie about that?
For cheap drama that pretends to be meaningful commentary. Also most of the conflict is instigated by other people. If the chief can do nothing why would he be upset about the billboards? Just let the crazy grieving lady have them, she's paying anyway. People in that town were stereotypical retarded small-towners.

This movie had a serious problem with a lack of self-awareness. None of the characters actions were driven by anything close to human instinct, just either prepackaged redemption arcs or blunt refusal to acknowledge anything wrong with their actions. I'm surprised this movie wasn't torn apart by feminists - the chief's suicide is the epitome of "toxic masculinity", the man taking unnecessary burden on himself to "save" his female counterpart from feeling feelings? Stupid.

Watch the movie again user, and this time, use your head
I know you can do it

Why are you surprised? 90% of this board is teenagers who only watch capeshit and starshit.

This movie is a brainlet magnet for some reason

That has nothing to do with an independent thought, you dolt.

It is well established that the most unlikeable main character ever is JD from Scrubs

>but agree to decide what to do along the way.
Now consider one of the overarching themes(explicitly pointed out in the dwarf dinner scene) is that hate begets hate. Why do you think that the ending is ambiguous about whether they go and kill the guy?
You're a fucking idiot.

All I could think about the entire movie was why does McDonough hate dwarves and always make fun of them in every movie.

The chief was the biggest idiot. His suicide was narcissistic and reeked of shit like 13 reasons why. The guy dramatically kills himself, abandons his work, leaves his department of angry retards to run loose and makes his grieving wife deliver his suicide notes. Who the fuck does that?
And don't start with "he's not supposed to be likable and that's okay" shit.

I'm interested in you opinion. I understand the movie I just hate what it was trying to do. Since you seem to understand it better I wanted your view.

>Wife gets raped and killed
>Murders a bunch of petty criminals who had nothing to do with it

Yet we root for him, because he's grieving, he sticks to his moral compass (even though its been warped by vengeance) and we as an audience understand in the end, some type of justice will be served.

Just like the character in three billboards.

>make an SJW film
>make a black lives matter film
>make an all women are victims film
>hire a dwarf
> ew I would never date you, you're a dwarf

>And don't start with "he's not supposed to be likable and that's okay" shit.
Why isn't this a suitable reason? If you look at any of McDonagh's other films they all feature that kind of character.

>ew I would never date you, you're a dwarf
but she did

Charles Bronson never burned down a police station.

what in the fuck kind of gun is that

for one date, which was forced, c'mon you know exactly what I meant asshole.

Being unlikable doesn't make the character inherently bad.

there's no need to be upset

>If the chief can do nothing why would he be upset about the billboards?
fucking lmao, yeah just let people shit all over you like some spineless beta (and call reporters as well)
How'd you like it if someone started spreading rumors that you like to diddle little kids? No big deal, right? I mean, it doesn't matter what your community thinks as long as you know you didn't do it? fucking kek

these are trying times

He's an usual for the director, has been in his 3 movies.

Zemo was the hero of Civil War.

abbie cornish a cute
samara weaving a cute
australian girls a cute

Typecasting. Done it before, condemned to do it forever. No, seriously. Why do you think Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore almost always have so sort of lesbian scene in their movies, for example?

>I hated how he was just used as a joke
He was very likeable and grounded compared to the rest of the cast and he BTFO Frances' character in the end.

3 Billboards was more like the middle ground between Death Wish and Falling Down.

When it comes to the chief's character the movie is obviously trying to make him sympathetic and in the right.
McDonagh's characters aren't flawed and realistic. He fakes realism by making pairing them with srawmen (reasonable Red vs dumb cops, reasonable chief vs crazy mom, cool mom vs piece of shit dad, heroic cop vs violent rapists). He fakes grey areas and nuance by making characters swing into different absolutes (she's a grieving mother, but she's also psychotic, he's a racist dipshit, but he's also a hero). That screams hackery to me.

If the character's not supposed to be likable you call their behaviour out in the movie, you challenge their values narratively. Look at Taxi Driver and TWBB.

What he did was completely on the realm of what I expect a person with terminal cancer to do. Nothing in what he did was unexpected. Not the best course of action, sure, but very understandable.

Yes but the movie that is still bad.

>moral ambiguity masquerading as depth
Wow there’s so much to “get”

Three Billboards is literally none of these. The fact that people in both sides of the political spectrum complained about this movie is a clear sign of its message flying over people's heads.

I get what you mean. I just feel like here the movie isn't self-aware enough to know how unlikable some characters are. There's no real nuance to their unlikability, which makes them bad as characters.

Then explain to us, what is the supposed message?

I'll tell you what it was, a waste.

There isn't, it's plain and obvious and that's all it needs to be, the issue is people watching it and not seeing the forest through the trees and missing the whole movie as some character study instead of an allegory.

Everybody was saying that people in town are with Willoughby, not with her. The only people that helped her remake the billboards were her work friend, the guy that wanted to fuck her and the guy that disliked cops.
It didn't seem like the billboards were causing chief much personal distress, just everybody else was outraged that they could.

You can’t deny that there’s heaps of out of touch “social commentary” strewn throughout the film, none of which matches up with the film’s tone. Go ahead and give us a “message” that isn’t: people have depth beyond their actions, ppl deserve second chances, moral ambiguity exists

Meh movie.
I watched Clint/Jolie's Changeling and Foster's The Brave One after to cleanse my palate of the bad aftertaste of 3Bill.

Here's a (You)

That's there to anchor the message of the film, because all of the average film goers won't understand it if they don't have that there to tie it to, which it does quite nicely.

But he was used for laughs. The dumbasses in my theater were laughing at everything that involved him, because it was made to be inherently comedic. He wasn't treated like a real person, but as a sideshow freak in the movie.

1. Define the allegory if it’s so obvious. I’d say you’re giving McDonagh way too much credit.
2. Everyone can notice that ambiguity, most people understand that characters don’t have to be likable—none of that means the movie isn’t a badly written, tonal hodgepodge with some truly embarrassing attempts at both “dark humor” and “drama.”

For moi?

these baits are shit. Everyone knows you can't come here for an extended period of time and have views like that.

>most people understand that characters don’t have to be likable
You're giving people too much credit.

Absolutely absurd claim, with nothing in the film to confirm it. I don’t hate the film but it’s “””””message”””””” is no excuse for sloppy, weak filmmaking. Even the performances are hardly memorable. Yet critics praise it as a fantastic film. Weird.

If the character is a male, and/or white, with bonus attributes of fascist tendencies and sociopathic behavious Sup Forums's comments are:
>he did nothing wrong
>best character
>misunderstood
>is it wrong to sympathise with him?

If the character is female, with bonus attributes of being non-white, not being a 10/10 with her tits out and in the end of the movie faring better than her male counterparts Sup Forums's comments are:
>unlikable
>she did everything wrong
>she's a whore and deserves to die
>does she have a mental disorder?

Most of you are sad, fat, pathetic virgins that cling to the lowest form of art (film) because that's the only media for which you have the attention span and mental capacity to understand. Still, you don't watch art films (but pretend like you do), you watch capeshit and whatever turd comes off the Hollywood production line. Even then, your discussion doesn't go beyond discussing the gender, skin colour and racial makeup of the actors/characters in the movies.

For the record, I watched Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri and thought it was a great film. Frances McDormand's and Sam Rockwell's performance was brilliant.

OP, you must have realised by now that not everyone in the world is as smart as you, big guy. People can be dumb, have dumb ideas, do dumb things and make dumb mistakes. So she didn't tell her daughter what to wear, that's called being a normal parent in the 21st century. She fought with her kids, that's what people do. Then after losing her daughter and seeing the police not do shit about it, she snapped. She behaves like a woman who has snapped and no longer gives a fuck what happens to her. How is that so hard to understand?

Look at all these fags that can only attempt to refute criticism of a shit movie they like with dumb images they only save because they can't refute arguments. Btw didn't see this movie.

>He wasn't treated like a real person, but as a sideshow freak
just like dwarves irl tbqh

Well on the other hand there are tons of women and other desirables who think Frances character is super likable.

But it's so not. Suicide is not as cold and calculated as it's portrayed in the movie. People with terminal illnesses usually go through months, years of pain and treatment before deciding to kill themselves. His action were completely cartoonish in terms of writing and narcissistic in terms of character.

>He fakes grey areas and nuance by making characters swing into different absolutes
I see what you're trying to say but I think these absolutes are evidence of real nuance. A grieving mother can be psychotic, and a relatively masculine figure like the mother in the film would probably be psychotic. Compare her actions to what Hugh Jackman's character does in Prisoners.They're pretty similar characters with similar motives. I think the actions of both are extreme but not out of character.
Taxi Driver and TWBB(less so here, but I think still true) both study a single character and are able to demonstrate their flaws narratively, but this is just a different method to McDonagh's equally valid one, in my opinion. McDonagh gives attention to multiple characters which share the same flaw(their inaccurate perceptions of other people). It's less about making them unlikeable than saying people are more complicated than their racism, their dwarfism or their psychosis.

The allegory is for the misunderstanding and snowballing way in which people think and act, and how unrelated and related events play out, the ends with nothing really being resolved and the two main characters to go off and maybe murder a guy who maybe did something wrong. People are getting way to focused on the fact that the characters have glaring flaws and not seeing how those mix together to create a kind of even playing field for everyone and the shitty things they do, as well as the good things they do.

Absolutely embarrassing post
>that spacing
>that retard-tier libshit rhetoric
>that little post script where you praise the movie without saying anything of substance
>that stench

>implying I was being sarcastic

If you think officer Dixons pendulum swing from psychotic violent bastard to good guy helper who also still maybe wants to kill is nuanced then you’re retarded

That’s not an allegory, fuckhead. That’s an exploration of a theme. Dumb fuck

embarrasing desu
I bet you're the talk of the town with that loud a voice.

>Define the allegory if it’s so obvious.
Not the guy you're replying to but its explicitly stated in the dwarf dinner scene with the dumbass homewrecker saying hate begets hate. This is why you have an ending in which the two characters who have operated on hate throughout the film(the mother and the cop) questioning their decision to go and kill a rapist at the end of the film. It's not difficult.

>t. woman-hating nazi
it's gonna be fun dying alone, I hope you're looking forward to it.

HER CHARACTER IS A PIECE OF SHIT WHO TAKES OUT HER FAILURE AS A MOTHER AND A HUMAN BEING ON EVERYONE ELSE BECAUSE SHE'S A UNMITIGATED CUNT!!!FACT!!!

Adorable

That’s not an allegory. That’s a ridiculously on the nose attempt at wrapping the film up in a nice little “message.” McDonagh is a terrible writer when he doesn’t stick to black comedy

>Charles Bronson never burned down a police station
>But he ended peoples lives for purse snatching, thats cool.

would you by any chance happen to be a bootlicker?

it's fucking true. Sup Forums hates any woman character that isn't there for the man to fuck or beat up. so any movie with a strong woman character will be hated. same with blacks.

He's told to fix up by the man he revered most, who had also just died. This is an acceptable way to change a character, i'm sorry if your autism can't get past that.

Your theater was probably full of GoTfags. I remember some dumbasses laughing their ass off everytime he appeared on X-men while saying “haha Tyrion!”. Shit happens after they turn you into only quips in a popular series, and at the time Tyrion didn’t degenerate that much either.

This triggers the /tv, but it's true.

Also, fuck you buddy film is not the lowest form of art.

To be fair, I liked her till she rejected the dwarf