Remember when this was the second highest rated show next to SpongeBob? It even won a KCA Award...

Remember when this was the second highest rated show next to SpongeBob? It even won a KCA Award. Are there any cartoons that debuted in the 2010s that are just as popular as Avatar was during the height of its popularity (2005-2008)?

I still have no idea how it got greenlit. I would have never expected a plot-driven show like this on Nickelodeon. Granted, season 1 was very episodic but it still had a set goal for the finale.

Seriously, how come they had an urge for a series of this type that one time (not counting Korra, it's the same franchise) but never again? To generate buzz? Fans of Avatar were not going to stick around for post-movie Spongebob or Fanboy & Chum-Chum so that couldn't've been it...

There were other Nicktoons that kids would stay for at the time though, shows like Danny Phantom and even MLAATR come to mind. Obviously the quality of either isn't even in the same galaxy at ATLA's, but it's hard for kids to judge that accurately anyways.

Though I'm sure some kids stuck around for SpongeBob too.

2008 made every business not take any risks whatsoever. In cartoon business that means low budget safe gag shows that cost little to nothing to make. Korra and new seasons of Samurai Jack got made because they already had success behind their backs, had ATLA or original Samurai Jack been pitched after 2008, neither would have existed at all.

You start seeing more creative and better quality shows when the effects of the 2008 depression wear off completely and market is on the rise again.

>You start seeing more creative and better quality shows when the effects of the 2008 depression wear off completely and market is on the rise again.
You're assuming that actually happens.

It was at the hieght of Naruto popularity and when the US market got flooded with anime (again) and it looked like it would last. Nick just wanted a piece of the pie.

Pretty sure we've actually been in a positive conjoncture since about a year or so.Nasdaq and Dow Jones have broken like a dozen records since Trump got elected (not to say that there's a direct causation there).

Dow Jones isn't really a good indicator of the economy as a whole, it's just how the largest and most successful businesses are doing.
The problem with the 2008 crisis was that they tried to mitigate its effects by subsidizing and bailing out all these failed banks and companies, and in the process they created even larger bubbles. So the full effects of the 2008 recession will only wear off when the market crashes again, even more devastatingly then before.

>2008 depression
why did this happened though, it was japan to blame?

>Still complaining about the 2008 depression
>in 2017

Yeah but until then we're in a positive conjecture.

Sup Forums still whines about the 1929 one.

yeah lets talk about the current depression instead.
it has absolutelly nothing to do with the last one.

It was approved because Naruto was doing really well at the time and because big fantasy adventures like the Lord of the Rings triliogy were popular.

>Thinking the effects of economic depressions end completely as soon as numbers start going up again

Korra was a mistake though.

>Are there any cartoons that debuted in the 2010s that are just as popular as Avatar was during the height of its popularity (2005-2008)?
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

What the fuck does Sup Forums have to do with this

Oh brother...

Mmmhmm.

We will all miss you. Enjoy your ban.

not all heroes wear capes.

This. I miss when it was allowed on Sup Forums.

No it was the US mortgage market and US banks that were to blame.

Nothing, they're just an example of people who still care about an economic crash from a long time ago, no need to go bonkers because you saw Sup Forums mentionned.

Inb4 BARNEYFAG

Oh Barneyfag, I have a job for you!

>Are there any cartoons that debuted in the 2010s that are just as popular as Avatar was during the height of its popularity (2005-2008)?
Avatar wasn't that popular to begin with and second to Spongebob means there's a large gap in between the 2# spot and its not like Nick had anything else running at the same time that was worth watching either (Catscratch, El Tigre, Mr. Meaty, Tak, etc.) that being said outside the anime that was airing on TV at the time there wasn't a direct competetion for it because a lot of popular action shows had ended (Teen Titans, JLU, Samurai Jack, etc.) to make room for more live action comedy shit which were way cheaper than did much higher numbers in comparison. So yeah from 2005 to 2008 there was no other show other than Spongebob and Naruto that was more popular until Phienas and Ferb came out and blew it out the water.

>Avatar premiere: February 21, 2005
>Teen Titans finale: September 15, 2006
You: moron

Yes, it was. The potential the show had was buried in a mountain of mediocre writing and Nickelodeon panicking over low ratings. The station didn't treat Korra with respect, but Bryke could have done so much better. Korrasami specially needed A SHITLOAD more development instead of whatever they throw at the end of season 4.

For shame.

>until Phineas and Ferb came out and blew it out the water
P&F is a garbage Kim Possible ripoff, you idiot.

Nah the US housing bubble exploded and brought the banks, and the rest of the economy down with it.

I'm not exactly a Sup Forums regular but did they ever make a show as mature as AtLA that was still intended for children?
As a kid, to me this series was the only one that stood out from the other cartoons airing at the time. I mean, it wasn't about an American kid for starters. No school, no bullies, no grounding from parents etc.
But also in the way it was written. For the first time you actually had to watch all the episodes in order since there was actually some progression made.
Plus a mature story about war, oppression, travel and discipline, instead of a story about the peaceful life of the MC who would usually get to sleep in his own bed by the end of each episode.
Stuff like how Aang burned Katara the first time he tried to firebend since he was being careless, and it backfired and he became scared to work with fire.
And Jeong Jeong talking about how important it is to control fire, and how he'd really rather be a waterbender since they can heal people. That's the kind of deep stuff I have never really seen in other cartoons, before or after the series.
It's also the kind of stuff they left out of Korra sadly.

So TL;DR: Are there any western cartoons made before of after Avatar comparable to it when it comes to the complexity and maturity of the writing?

Sup Forums probably hates me for this opinion by now, but: out of the very extensive list of cartoons I've watched, Gravity Falls and Teen Titans fit that bill, and no others.

Though I think you'll disagree not because of those shows, but because you're overrating ATLA. In fact the show touched on those topics but generally treated them in a quite shallow way (with some exceptions), which is not very different from those two series.

I want to like ATLA, but it just isn't a good show.
The plot was poorly handled the further the show progressed, building up to a very anti-climatic conclusion to the series.
I have heard the excuse of it being Aang's nature to take the pacifist route, but a good portion of the series was about Aang stepping out of his comfort zone and learning how to overcome himself to be a better avatar, and writing in a deus ex machina at the last minute pretty much undoes this.
This happened at the season 2 finale as well when he messes up bigtime and gets killed by that lightning strike, but it may as well have not even happened because all it did was pad the series with a mini quest and in the end it didn't really affect him at all.

This show's plot was even further trampled by its supplementary material.
LoK retconned much of the lore of the series, and despite being created by the same writers, goes directly against some of the core concepts of the series, particularly that in regards to bending and its origin.
Seriously, LoK managed to take the few things I did like about ATLA and completely ruin them, while still having similar writing issues, so overall, there were some episodes that were alright, but trying to make an overarching plot really proved to be a mistake in the end, as a buildup over multiple seasons for something that is concluded in 2 episodes tops is an easy way to create massive disappointment.
This is clear from seeing how people reacted in a similar way to the conclusion of a similarly structured series, Samurai Jack.

Bryke have said in interviews that it got approved because Nick execs were specifically asking around the studio if people had "Legends and lore"/fantasy adventure pitches. If you remember at that time Lord of the Rings was super popular, the anime boom in the US was super recent, there was a million YA Harry Potter knock offs because Harry Potter/LOTR were so huge. Plus back then people still kinda watched cable television. DVRs weren't huge yet and there wasn't as much internet piracy. So it might've been a bit more "affordable" in the studio's eyes.

In short: Western animation is dogshit and thus best avoided.

Reminder that avards always overstate the popularity of atla.

Not Canada's. Eh

There was the Batman animated series from the 90's. Other than that I'm hard-pressed to come up with anything.

Ok

Thanks for proving my point idiot.

What does your shitty opinion has to do with the fact that P+F was vastly more popular than Avatar?

Daily reminder that Toph was the cutiest and best childhood crush of them all.

>he thinks people get banned for mentioning it
Newfag leave