What was it like seeing this in the cinema in 200?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-PcUnqlPA8A
youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
youtube.com/watch?v=BtEC3pNEMhY
youtube.com/watch?v=BB9EWz4XBn4
youtube.com/watch?v=UoVaK2NXmJA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

amazing

I went with my friends after school, like 8 of us or so. Theater was packed, people were loving it, great experience. Lots of clapping.

Breath taking. And also a sadness knowing you'd never be as excited for anything ever again and this was a pinnacle of entertainment and it's all down hill from here.

My sister went with my cousins and my uncle and she fell asleep for the whole time.
I was 5 and sick so i didnt go.
I remember this because we used to make fun of her for years about that.

Perfect movies, released at the perfect time in my life to enjoy this type of movie. My brother's birthday is in late December, so for 3 years straight we'd go see a new LOTR movie to celebrate. I was 11 when Fellowship came out, and I re-watched it on VHS at least 10 times before the next one was released

It's probably the nostalgia talking, but I can't think of a single "blockbuster" movie since LOTR that has come close to the same level of quality & detail. They really spent that budget right

movies were so long we actually did breaks in the theater.
cool stuff.

>200 AD
Unga like Rockplex better back in those days.

I distinctly remember the wave of sadness that rushed over as the films ended. Particularly the second one, because I knew it would be awhile before the next came out and I NEEDED more.

Unga bunga 2nd movie in 197 better

Well, it was pretty weird. Everybody was really in to it, because y'know, in those days magic was real, but the agents of Emperor Septimius Severus kept trying to get theatres shut down because it "undermined the legitimacy of the empire" or something.

Watched it with my fellow Roman soldiers in our general camp. Good days.

> No RT drama
> No instantaneous cesspool of memes
> No army of unemployable idiots making video reviews
> No contrarian/counter-contrarian oneupmanship
> No shit spiral of retarded political readings

Such an *incomplete* cinematic experience

All three films were a huge happening. It became a Christmas tradition each year for me and my family to all go see it together in December. It was great how they all came out with one year between them, always at the end of the year.

The fact we all watched them in the cinema at Christmas has led to my own tradition of rewatching the trilogy every year in December. It's become such a part of my yearly routine these past 15 or so years that I feel weird when I haven't watched them yet. I completely associate LotR with the Christmas season..

>What was it like seeing this in the cinema in 200?

Would have been better if not for all the smelly Germanic scum shitting up the theater.

TTT was kind of ass so I was prepared for all the hackneyed mangling of source material, poor characterization and failed attempts at humor.

Even then, it was legitimately good. Far better than any of us dared to hope it would be. Remember the Hobbit? When I heard there was a trilogy of LotR films in the making, THAT is what I was expecting. Instead we got some genuinely enjoyable cinematography, if you knew when to start drinking.

I'm upset because I apparently saw the last two in theaters with my dad but I was young enough that I don't remember the theater experience at all. Which sucks because I got back in to LotR a few years ago and it's now one of my favorite franchises

That weird pre Iraq war feel

There was a really strong camaraderie in the theater. Everyone felt friendly and excited. Random people were chatting and geeking out. Felt like I was watching it with a theater full of friends. A lot of people were moved by the two songs that were sung, by Billy Boyd and Viggo. People clapped when the movie was done. An overall great time at the theater.

based, saw them during my 8th grade, 10th grade, and i guess first year of college christmas breaks, with my family and friends. Everyone fucking loved the lotr series, I don't think i've ever went to the kinoplex with so many people.

I hope your dad is still alive and you can discuss it with him.

General public had no idea how good it would be. If you were a nerd you knew it was being made, but there wasn't that much hype around it beyond the normal "big budget movie coming out" hype.
After it came out it was like a drug. People were seeing it 2nd and 3rd times. It was a craze, I'm guessing like Star Wars was in '77.
It made a bunch of people go out and buy the books, myself included.
By the time The Tower Towers was coming out, there was a fuck load of media coverage for it and speculation. The hobbits were on literally every show hyping it up.
It really just consumed the movie industry for 2 years.

rotk was after iraq

fotr was three months after 9/11 and i think that had a lot to do with its success in america

I saw this 12 times in theatre it was amazing.

Avatar 2 will be here soon user, don't worry

>tfw only got to see Fellowship of the Ring in theaters
Still a great time though I didn't really get into LOTR again until years later when I got the extended blu ray set.

These movies stemmed the tide of the subhuman for at least one lifetime, and in my own lifetime to boot.
The books, then the movies, should be treasured as the closest thing to renaissance style virtue and divinity of man. For all the world to see.
The west has officially fallen when we get a blackspoitation of this series.

Pretty gud and exciting. To this day that 5 second clip of transitioning Gollum climbing in a cave opening freaks me out so god damn much.

Now watching Hobbit though, good god. Even if the first one was okay that was a horrible experience.
>have to get some uncomfortable as fuck 3D glasses that chafe my nose bridge
>get a bit of a headache because of them and was never able to focus my eyes on the movie without it being slightly blurry
>frame rate just feels strange and couldn't really get past it
>that feeling of sorrow as as you realize all the magic of LOTR is nowhere to be found and it just feels like you are watching a generic blockbuster movie and that glory will never return again

I watched them when i was aged 7-10.

I remember being annoyed that they didnt even destroy the ring at the end of Fellowship. I didn't like fellowship because of the all the jump scares.

I remember watching Two towers and wondering how after 2 hours they hadn't even entered the first tower (I expected the plot to be Aragorn looking for Frodo and Sam in two towers). Helms deep was the best thing i had ever seen.

Return of the King was the best film I had ever seen.

To this day I still have no idea how Peter Jackson was able to get The Two Towers title to stick on a year after 9/11.

These guys know what's up

These guys think 200 AD was caveman dinosaur times

don't ever change /tv

Pretty cool

Is this the comfiest opening sequence ever put on film?
youtube.com/watch?v=-PcUnqlPA8A

I was young enough to love it but not old enough to appreciate it

It was a different time.

>Down hill right into the shitter

Can't wait.

Cool frost one kinda sucked

As per usual the extended director cut is vastly better than theatrical

everyone knew KNEW it was gunna be kino like it was no question. Massive hype, men women and children of all ages were excited and engaged all the way through. From the opening land of the dead thru the massive battle through frodo navigating Shelob's lair. Followed by a bitter sweet sadness through the movies 3 endings but everyone was thoroughly satisfied

this desu

Saw Fellowship on opening day. A lady in the theater didn't realize it was the start of a trilogy. She was so angry over the nonending that she tried to get a refund.
I lol'd

>be me
>200 Anno Domini
>hear abovt this new play everyone is talking abovt
>some sort of mythical prophecy
>very progressive, apparently only one gvy dies
>already invited my bro Avlvs to watch it and later have a pint in the tavern, maybe even shitpost on the walls a bit
>it's gonna be great
>next day messenger tells me my legion will be stationed somewhere else
>apparently the white niggers are pillaging us again
>get sent to buttfuck nowhere, it's cold as fuck
>Avlvs got an axe in the face
>by the time I get back all actors are wearing darkened masks and proclaiming they were caesars and shit
>thought the patron was one of the southern immigrants
>bvt it was just an eastern merchant with a large nose
it was a different time

It was awesome, I became a huge fan of the series

I also saw it with my mom in theaters when I was little, and despite not liking fantasy she loved that movie, so it became a yearly tradition to watch them on Thanksgiving

I fell asleep

it was more like an event then seeing a movie. the line-ups were massive and there was news crews filming and interviewing people dressed up.

I unfortunately shared the theatre with a large number of young gentlemen of African ancestry. Their reaction suggested that one or both of the running time & pacing of the film left something to be desired in their opinions.

I went from being this as a kid

Jurassic Park -> Star Wars -> James Bond -> LOTR

And I stayed a LOTR kid for many years, even grew my hair out and had one of those leaf pendant things

Im sorry

incredibly fucking boring, just like it is now

my and my family forged a sword on a matinee, nothing like smithing while enjoying a good kino.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Probably one of the best experiences of my life. Great films, everyone was pumped and respectful in the cinema.

Felt genuinely sad when they ended.

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
This fucking scene was so kino, the best cinema experience I've ever hard.
You could feel the small embers of nationalism and white pride rekindling around the room.

>tfw watched all of them on a 60 inch screen with my dad last summer over the course of three days
He's never been much into fantasy films but we were both blown away by how great it was

It blew my fucking mind. And I mean that seriously.

Prior to watching Fellowship, I wasn't too familiar with the Lord of the Rings. My dad had read me the Hobbit when I was young, and he tried to read me Fellowship but I wasn't quite old enough to understand the story so I didn't really enjoy it. But when Fellowship came out in theaters my dad was pretty hyped, so he took me to see it.

The instant the prologue began, I and everyone else knew we were witnessing something special. Absolute, dead silence throughout the beginning. People were drawn in to the film unlike anything I've ever seen yet, with the exception of BR 2049. But it wasn't like everyone was being quiet out of fear or respect, it's just that it captured all of our attention so deeply that nobody could even THINK about talking. We were all in it together, experiencing all the same emotions. Howard Shore's music basically made it impossible for people to feel different emotions than the person next to them, his notes were so pure and honest. When Gandalf fell in Khazad-Dum, I straight up started to cry like a little bitch, but it was okay, because so many other people were crying too; you could hear them.

I don't think there's been any other movie in history that was bonded the audience together like Lord of the Rings has. To this day, when you watch it with friends, you watch it together.

Standout memory from seeing Fellowship in theaters seven or eight times is how almost nobody at the time knew it was the first of three - it was before sequels and franchises were as expected as they are now. The first few showings there was always one or two people shouting "WHAT THE FUCK?!" right when the credits rolled.

My favorite memory from seeing all the movies in theater - does anyone else remember near the end run of Fellowship's theatrical screenings that instead of "Directed by Peter Jackson" popping up it read "This Christmas, 2003" and it faded into a trailer for Two Towers with the orchestral Lux Aeterna playing?

My buddy and I about shit our fucking pants when that happened.

Hobbit was more enjoyable desu. I'm not really into fantasy.

>Gandalf the White (OMG) literally "the white"???? Problematic. He is symbolic for the dying white civilization and its oppression of non-whites with their "magic" science that is actually just racism.
>Not enough diverse Asian, Hispanic, and African hobbits, extremely problematic
>Orcs are clearly Black American "others" to be defeated by the Eurocentric "middle Earth", not enough stories about the value and humanity of Orcs.
>Aragon should be played by Idris Elba, otherwise this movie is racist relic of white cinema colonizing of our brown and black children's minds.

Its truly remarkable to be able to look at the fall of western civilization in ones own lifetime and be powerless to stop it.

>fotr was three months after 9/11 and i think that had a lot to do with its success in america
What do you mean?

>200?

unga me go to cavepaintingplex

>You could feel the small embers of nationalism and white pride rekindling around the room.

checked. thank god that trilogy was made when it was. Absolutely perfect timing. too early and the effects wouldve been too shitty, too late and it would've had forced diversity and bullshit baby leftist politics embedded in it, and over-reliance on CGI/too much studio kike meddling.

Really great and i'm a 1990 faggot.

>I remember watching Two towers and wondering how after 2 hours they hadn't even entered the first tower (I expected the plot to be Aragorn looking for Frodo and Sam in two towers). Helms deep was the best thing i had ever seen.

I'm going to be honest, it wasn't until I was like 16 or 17 that I realized that the two towers refers to Orthanc and Barad-dur. I'm 23 now.

Best shit in Film history.

It was great but Fellowship was better, simply because it was the first of the trilogy and it was so surprising that it was good.

It was amazing. The greatest experience I've ever had at the kinoplex.

>scenes nogs and soycucks will never understand
youtube.com/watch?v=BtEC3pNEMhY

This, turn the tide of foreign hordes.

>the two towers refers to Orthanc and Barad-dur.
Tolkien never actually made it clear which two towers. That was a distinction made in the movie.

It got leaked early

>tfw lotr will be censored/banned for wrongthink when the NWO is put in place

I mean, which other towers could it possibly be referring to

There were so many fakeout endings that people were laughing and rolling their eyes in the theater. I remember thinking it was pretty lousy but I was much more into arthouse films back then and didn't appreciate FX heavy blockbusters much. I'm sure the kiddies appreciated it a lot more, same as Star Wars.

Two Towers came out in 2002.

Saw it with my dad at midnight. I think I was in like 7th or 8th grade.

Was a really wonderful experience, except for the part where it was 3:30am and the goddamned movie wouldn't end. I kept getting ready to leave and then there were at least 12 more endings.

It could be

>Minas Tirith & Minas Morghul
>Minas Tirith & Brad Dur
>Brad Dur & Isengard

>tfw we'll never get cinematic experiences like LOTR and the original Star Wars trilogy in theaters again
>tfw every movie franchise feels so fucking corporate and fake without any love put into them these days
>tfw everything has to have some sort of fucking agenda instead of just being made to entertain and demonstrate real craftsmanship
Disney was a mistake, these films plus Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven were the last real film epics we'll ever see.

youtube.com/watch?v=BB9EWz4XBn4

>CTRL+F dad

>When Gandalf fell in Khazad-Dum, I straight up started to cry like a little bitch...

My face when and I was 26.

>people getting upset over the fakeout endings

Fuck those guys. Just because it fades to black doesn't mean it is the ending.

Felt it was way to long and laughing at the part where Aragorn sings in the end.

This.
>mfw 10 y.o. me studying the model replica of helms deep in the lobby during the halftime break with my best friend
>Soyjak.png

I was watching it in the front row and the guy playing Gandalf had a heart attack and fucking died. It was the last time I would travel to Athens to see a play.

Pretty fucking neato.

I too enjoyed the new Thor

>Return of the King comes out
>go to the cinema with my father
>we both love the series so this is a fantastic time for both of us
>epic journey reaches conclusion, credits roll
>this starts playing: youtube.com/watch?v=UoVaK2NXmJA
>mfw

I love my father. Every time I'll watch this trilogy I always think about our time together now.

Had the Argonath bookends from the TT Extended Edition and my ex-girlfriend threw them both against a wall when I broke up with her.

They look ugly and embarrassing to own anyway. She did you a favor.

>TOOT-TOOOOOOT
>FOR RUIN
>DEAAAAATH
>TOOT-TOOOOOOOOOOOT
what a fucking time to be alive lads

Romans are fags
t.Germanic

Cried like a babe when Frodo got in the boat. Cried again that Sam had a such a happy ending.

Love that song. I also like how the Grey Havens theme (into the West chorus) is first hinted when Gandalf and Pippin are hiding behind a door waiting for the troll to smash it down, thinking they will die. Such a beautiful melody and great tune to end the movie with. Now compare that to fucking Ed Sheeran's gay voice at the end of the Hobbit 2...pisses me off.

Only movie I have ever seen in the cinema that has made me ridiculously happy. Went to see each one when I was younger and even though RotK is my least favourite, it was the greatest movie experience I've ever had.

What a fucking cunt

horrible human being detected

There was actually a pause in the middle and I remember thinking it was over. The movie was amazing and all, but it felt SO fucking long. This was back when movies in the cinema were rarely over 70-80 mins long, with the exception of actual epics.

Shit was so cash, was just a kid though.

I saw each movie twice in the cinema and I've never seen any other movie more than once

normies are the worst