What was it like seeing this in cinemas in 2003?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Oh man, little 9 year old me was awestruck. The last charge of the rohirrim will always be one of my favorite movie moments.

Oh what I would give to see this for the first time in theaters again

I was too young to realize how kino it was

non-whites will never understand

Memorable.

Most people here praising it are non-whites and mutts

Watched it opening night in a sold out showing in the UK
I cant exactly describe what this scene felt like but the memory is still clear as day. Almost like the entire rooms hairs collectively stood on end
Favorite cinema experience of all time

nah you're just a projecting mutt

t. mutt

It was kinda boring and looked like a videogame desu.

there he goes again lmao

a nigger appears

>dubbed into my language
>they don't shouted DEATH but some stupid weak sounding shit because our word for death can't really be shouted like that

non-north-west-europeans will never understand

Felt like I was exactly where I should be. A rare feeling, that is.

death sounded dumb on the original too
still a good scene

>tfw no 4k release ever because it was mastered in 2k

LOTR films are for low IQ "geek culture" faggots

>no HD release of the VHS 4:3 aspect ratio version

Pretty awesome.

He has a point. It was mostly good but had too much dumb videogame shit that has not aged well and looked stupid at the time. Surfin' Legolas comes to mind as one of the more egregious examples.

I fell asleep. Just like during the first one

GOD
DAMNED
GLORIOUS

Pretty fucking good. I had just gotten my tax returns though so I may have been biased. What with bing so ecstatic and all.

Glorious.

>have shitty childhood memory in general
>yet watching this scene awestruck in the cinema still remains in my brain

Not even an amerimutt so my pure white genes could appreciate it tenfold more

It really felt like a big "event", waiting for this sequal and then seeing it in opening week. Honestly didn't feel that again until The Dark Knight.

This scene brought tears in my eyes. But the scene where Faramir rides to his apparent death literally made me sob. I was 12.

It was epic

I don't remember this being so extremely digitally color graded and full of that glow/blur shit. The first steps into Hackson's descent into the hobbit hackery I guess

it was fucking awesome, that's what it was. both TT and RotK were incredible on the big screen. shame that no other movie nowadays can still top that

amazing.

The Fellowship is miles better than both of them

It makes me furious to think how soyboys would critizise this movie today. I can just imagine the headline
>The Masculine Rohan Riders - and why that's a problem

Comfy af. That entire battle was awe inspiring.

ARISE! ARISE! RIDERS OF ROHAN! SPEARS SHALL BE SHAKEN! SWORDS SHALL BE SPLINTERED! A SWORD DAY! A RED DAY! ERE THE SUN RISES RIDE NOW! RIDE NOW! RIDE TO RUIN AND THE WORLD'S ENDING!

I didn't like that fellowship added the unnecessary Urak Hai final boss that wasn't in the book

Saw it like 3 or 4 times as a kid. Pure kino

ARISE! ARISE! ARISE, CHICKUN! FEATHERS SHALL BE SHAKEN! BEAKS SHALL BE SPLINTERED! AN EGG DAY! A YOLK DAY! ERE THE SUN RISES ARISE NOW! ARISE, CHICKUN! ARISE TO BANE AND Sup Forums'S ENDING!

slightly disappointing after the first two, but still really good

>Second Seige of Vienna was inspiration for the scene and was manned by Germans and Poles

I remember watching Harry Potter 7 Part 1 in theatres, the whole cinema stood for practically the whole film. That was probably the peak of film looking back. I think around the same time was the first 'Star Trek' movie, had a similar effect. Watched that one tipsy and cried when Spook died(can't really remember what happened but I think he died)

>thread about lotr
>talks about harry potter and star trek
Are you tipsy drunk right now, user?

>"The treatment of colour nearly always horrifies anyone going out from Britain, & not only in South Africa. Unfort[unately], not many retain that generous sentiment for long." ― Letter 61 — Written to Christopher Tolkien who was stationed in South Africa during World War II

>"I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White." ― From a Valedictory Address to the University of Oxford in 1959

>"I must say that the enclosed letter from Rutten & Loening is a bit stiff. Do I suffer this impertinence because of the possession of a German name, or do their lunatic laws require a certificate of arisch origin from all persons of all countries? ... Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine." ― Letter 29 — in response to Tolkien's German publishers asking whether he was of Aryan origin

>"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil at heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace." ― The Two Towers, "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit"

Keep up that projection Sup Forums.

>tfw no news of 4K Blu ray release
>tfw no 4K ultra wide monitor support

>cried when Spook died
Who you callin' spook, peckerwood?

Best movie experience I ever saw and the only movie I saw more than once in the theaters.

What faggity ass place do you live in that everyone is standing up to gawk in a movie and can't watch it with being a spazz

I bet that if they ever remake Lord of the rings they will make the eagles swoop in during this this battle too.

>death sounded dumb on the original

went on way too fucking long

whoa your hyphenation wen't a little overboard there chief!--unneeded before European

That's not true. You just say that because you're a mutt.

itchy

I live in your faggity ass place, faggot.

every time you guys call the movies cinemas i laugh

you're right but I didn't watch that one in the theater for some reason. wasn't even on my radar because my 11 year old self thought it looked boring when the trailers came out. my friend asked me pretty spontaneously whether I wanted to watch TT in the theater. funnily enough, I had been sent a copy of the LotR cartoon from the US by a friend of my mom's (I'm a Germanfag) so I just watched that one to catch up on the story instead of the fellowship itself. enjoyed the fuck out of TT later that day

I remember being annoyed.
>why does he say "ere the sun rises" when the sun isn't blotted out like in the book

Absolutely amazing.

Recently showed it to my wife and explained to her that Orcs are niggers and Haradrim are arabs. She said it made sense and that the same thing is happening now. She doesn't love the movie like I do thought...

She loves capeshit.

>tfw my girlfriend of five years has never seen the LotR and SW movies
fuck SW but I'm legit mad that she's never seen LotR. planning to show her all 6 extended versions once I finish my final thesis

>all 6

user..

Having read LotR and being 13 I still remember not liking it as much. The first part of Fellowship was most true to the books.

It was nice to see more Faramir, though. No Imrahil. No Beregond. No Grey Company. Etc. Depressing. I didn't like Two Towers, either. I was also never a fan of how they made Gimli (who was the best fighter in the fellowship) into comic relief. Faramir's changes in TT really irked me, though. Faramir was and always will be my favourite character.

haven't watched the Extended Editions myself so she'll have to sit through them too. she didn't enjoy Hobbit 1 (only movie she watched) but fuck it
>tfw my girlfriend actually watched all ten seasons of Smallville with/for me
she'll survive watching 6 movies

>The first part of Fellowship was most true to the books.

Yeah I remember the scenes with the conspiracy, the old forest, Tom, the barrow-downs, the spy in Bree, Radagast, and Glorfindel in Jackson's adaption

Don't do it. Specially don't show her the extended editions.

I meant the tone of the movie, not the omitted stuff. Kind of like how the first part of The Hobbit movie with Blunt The Knives is pretty true to the book.

>my girlfriend
>my final thesis

you should be sterilized

not the guy but book adaptions literally never live up to the books so people should try to forget the books.
fucking hated Harry Potter 5 when I watched the movie but having watched it another time after a few years, I enjoyed it. NEVER go in expecting a faithful adaption as they always have to cut tons of shit. worst example though is Percy Jackson where they literally changed the main villain for the movie who was a mid-level boss at best

lifechanging

why? I only have the extended editions so I might as well watch them. I'm also too lazy to get another 720p/1080p version of those movies

y-you too

Please never discuss LotR in the same breath as an American Harry Potter knock-off.

Tolkien didn't see the place he went to school (Stonyhurst Catholic Boarding School), in the ribble valley, the place the Shire is mostly based upon, facing being consumed by orcs (muslims who've moved into all the local towns and shit the place up big time). I think he'd change his opinions quite quickly if he did

bait but whatever. As a Mexican, i still watch this scene in awe and it never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

>B-but he'd be prejudiced now!

Is this all you Sup Forumsfags can come up with?

I remember that my ass hurt.

both are comfy as fuck so no. I can literally watch both franchises several times while I can't even watch modern day mainstream movies twice

>there are literally dozens of us
>DOZENS

You're equivalating an actual work of literature with a fanfiction cashgrab.

nice dubs. whatever you want to believe queermo, you can easily tell from the way he wrote the shire that he loved this place and all the sleepy rural villages of england. There's no way in hell he wouldn't be pissed at the people who ruined it. He'd hate modern Britons too, but he'd hate the interlopers even more

just crop your monitor/tv with black paper

Unironically, people clapped. And no I'm not from US.

Boring as shit. I watched it at the Cine Capri Scottsdale. I was bored. I also saw Godzilla there. It was really really boring.

Amazing. I was in middle school and we went on a field trip to see it because LotR was that big of an event. Helm's Deep is my favorite movie experience ever though.

>geek culture
if you think that is even a thing the marketers have got you wrapped up with the morons

honestly, i was already bored to death at this point and just wanted the thing to end

fellowship was just so, so much better than the other two movies

I meant King Kong not Godzilla.

when will they rerelease these in cinema? Wouldn't there be enough financial incentive to do so?

youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
This fucking scene was so kino, the best cinema experience I've ever hard.
You could feel the small embers of nationalism and white pride rekindling around the room.

as long as I can chill out while watching them, I'm fine with that. I see them both for what they are so I never have an issue with one being superior over the other

Not as awesome as seeing FOTR in 2001. By 2003 LOTR had become such a mainstream shit show, I didn't enjoy the midnight screening, and we were all just waiting for the Extended Cut in 2004. Basically it was just a one very long trailer for normies.

damn..................................
but if he said all this where's the Shire-Harrad hobbits??
I mean he clearly wanted his native England filled with foreigners so I don't get it????

that scene specifically is one of the greatest in the history of film

>FOTR
Fucker Of The Rings?

I wept

this exactly
i was 9

i kept thinking aragorn was going to die in the film

I like your pic. Frodo looks good in SS gear. Viggo might be Ralph Fiennes-tier in nazi garb. Sean Bean too.

i realized, looking around me at my family, that we didn't look like the people on the horses at all, we looked like the monsters they were attacking.

at that moment i knew terror

not my experience exactly
i was also 9

i kept thinking where's my crab legs

i stood up, saluted and sang the national anthem

I was 9 too and almost suffered anaphylactic shock from some jerk and his son hawking spent crab legs over his shoulder
weird thing was the kid was black but his dad was white. To this day it confuses me.