Del Toro's El Hobbito

Now that he's a confirmed kinographer, let's wildly speculate what could have been

Fuck i didnt know he was a faggot
gas him and the rest of the aids lovers

the problem was Warner Bros

We wouldnt have gotten that awful CGI

He always kinda sucked other than Hellboy movies. Better at set design than story/directing. Pan's Lab had a thin story line. SoW was plain sjw b8. Mimic was pure shit. PacRim was great to look at but insulting on any level of cine appraisal. The Strain is laughable.
Look for nothing from him to ever be good again.

long story short
>2 movies, cut point at barrels
>more fairy-tale
>same structure as Hellboy 2 (Bilbo tells a bedtime story to Frodo)
>Axe-shaped Smaug
>different aesthetics (Mirkwood is Japanese, etc..)

Silmarillion one day

>SoW was plain sjw b8

wait what

It would have been boring as shit because Del Toro sucks

>Axe-shaped Smaug

Damn that would have been awesome

there are bits of concept art in the bluray docs

more stylized, more fairy-tale-ish, a little bit more cartoon

Oh yeah, I remember uploading these pictures here four years ago

nah was dumb

would have been exactly the same, but the orcs would be in SS uniforms and the dwarves incestuously gay for each other.

>In one sketch, the dwarf Thorin, depicted in battle, wore a surreal helmet that appeared to be sprouting antlers. “They’re thorns—his name is Thorin, after all,” he said.

Devil's Backbone prob his best desu

he was attached to direct an At the Mountains of Madness adaptation and goddamn I wish that went somewhere

>I paused at what looked like an image of a double-bitted medieval hatchet. “That’s Smaug,” del Toro said. It was an overhead view: “See, he’s like a flying axe.” Del Toro thinks that monsters should appear transformed when viewed from a fresh angle, lest the audience lose a sense of awe. Defining silhouettes is the first step in good monster design, he said. “Then you start playing with movement. The next element of design is color. And then finally—finally—comes detail. A lot of people go the other way, and just pile up a lot of detail.”
>I turned to a lateral image of the dragon. Smaug’s body, as del Toro had imagined it, was unusually long and thin. The bones of its wings were articulated on the dorsal side, giving the creature a slithery softness across its belly. “It’s a little bit more like a snake,” he said. I thought of his big Russian painting. Del Toro had written that the beast would alight “like a water bird.”
>Smaug’s front legs looked disproportionately small, like those of a T. rex. This would allow the dragon to assume a different aspect in closeup: the camera could capture “hand” gestures and facial expressions in one tight frame, avoiding the quivery distractions of wings and tail. (Smaug is a voluble, manipulative dragon; Tolkien describes him as having “an overwhelming personality.”) Smaug’s eyes, del Toro added, were “going to be sculpturally very hidden.” This would create a sense of drama when the thieving Bilbo stirs the beast from slumber.

>Del Toro wanted to be creative with the wing placement. “Dragon design can be broken into essentially two species,” he explained at one point. Most had wings attached to the forelimbs. “The only other variation is the anatomically incorrect variation of the six-appendage creature”—four legs, like a horse, with two additional winged arms. “But there’s no large creature on earth that has six appendages!” He had become frustrated while sketching dragons that followed these schemes. The journal had a discarded prototype. “Now, that’s a dragon you’ve seen before,” he said. “I just added these samurai legs. That doesn’t work for me.”
>Del Toro’s production design for “The Hobbit” seemed similarly intent on avoiding things that viewers had seen before. Whereas Jackson’s compositions had been framed by the azure New Zealand sky, del Toro planned to employ digital “sky replacement,” for a more “painterly effect.” Sometimes, instead of shooting in an actual forest, he wanted to shoot amid artificial trees that mimicked the “drawings in Tolkien’s book.” In his journal, I spied many creatures with no precedent in Tolkien, such as an armor-plated troll that curls into a ball of metal plates. Del Toro said that it would be boring to make a slavish adaptation

Would've looked autistic, been a shittier story, and fit less with the succeeding trilogy. I'm glad Jackson took over.

twat

Communist propaganda probably

It would have been better if for nothing else it would have been more interesting to look at.

And it wouldn't have been filmed to look like a soap-opera.

I want this now, and it will never be.

Feels bad man.

Me on the right

Fuck, this would've been amazing