Blade Runner

This film was disturbingly dishonest, and stole most of it's aesthetic language from videogames, like Deus Ex .

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's deus ex?

Ironic because the Ghost in the Shell movie just copied Blade Runner's visuals, despite the manga, although being inspired, didn't just copy Blade Runner's visual architecture.

>a degenerate vidya manchild thinks his opinion is of any worth
cute

I really liked it.

Just saw the film and the honesty of it shocked me. An intensely honest film

Classic cyberpunk vidya franchise senfam

So what the fook does all this cells interlinked shit mean

Shit b8 m8

It's a new version of the Voight-Kampff test from the original, the difference is in the original they tested to see non human responses while here they are testing to see if the replicant is showing any human emotional responses by asking him highly personal emotional questions, while he has to just reply unphased by the previous question. The phrases repeated like a mantra at the end are there in order to invoke the subject into assigning patterns and specific meanings to the words -- if they don't, then they've passed. Keeps the new replicants in check, at their emotional "baseline"

K's full baseline is an excerpt from the third canto of Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire.
When he first reads it in its entirety at the beginning of the test it establishes a baseline to innocuous stimulation, like a lie detector test first asking you banal questions like your name and favorite food. He's then made to recite excerpts of that excerpt after emotionally stimulating questions that may exasperate him, and the response is compared to that of the baseline. The clever part is that sometimes the otherwise innocuous excerpts of excerpts segue into meta questions that would throw the test subject for a loop and make it difficult to cheat. Before having to recite 'cells', they'd ask "when you're not performing your duties do they keep you in a little box" in direct relation to the word 'cells'. Before having to recite 'interlinked', they'd ask "what's it like to hold the hand of someone you love" in direct relation to the word 'interlinked'. He eventually fails when he's so overwhelmed by everything happening on top of him feeling trapped in his miserable life and dubious romantic situation.

Sure but what the fuck do the actual words "cells interlinked" mean in this context? Are those just random keywords?

>mom, i'm shitposting again!!!1

Emotionless babble that's used as a medium to insert emotion-filled stuff to see replicant reaction.

so it's just a test to see if they're going nutso?
Becasue if I were to be asked these rapid-firing questions to say what first comes to my mind, I would just shout PENIS, SEX and CUNT all the time.
But I guess then I would be on my baseline.

I literally explained it to you in the second paragraph, both the direct use and the context.
Like I said, those specific words and sentences are from the third canto in Pale Fire by Nabokov, the book K likes (Joi wants him to read) in the film.
The book tells a story of a man who sees a surreal fountain in his dream and later discovers a precise description of that exact fountain in a paper. He takes it as some important cosmic sign and tries to get in touch with the author, but it turns out she's already dead and the poem was actually misprinted (fountain instead of mountain). Same as the "you're not special" theme in the narrative of the film.

>so it's just a test to see if they're going nutso?
Not nutso, but to see if they're going "human", developing hard uncontrollable emotions. K was killing his own kind every single day for work, they have to be as emotionless and stable as possible.

I think you underestimate just how commonplace Blade Runner's visual directing style was in the 80s and 90s.

For GitS 95 for example, you can clearly see bits of Tarkovsky, Kawajiri, Kubrick, and previous Oshii films in there along with setpieces inspired by Blade Runner. Because there's a lot in common between all those movies and GitS came at the tail end of that trend, with Oshii having already done all that several times before.

As for the manga, it was episodic and a lot more light-hearted, so of course it didn't copy Blade Runner, that'd be retarded.

Was Oshii the best person you could ask to adapt GitS into a movie? I don't think so, but in his hands, there's no way it could *not* end up looking like a Blade Runner ripoff

2049 is Villenueve's second-weakest movie behind Arrival

sure my dweeb degenerate friend

It's his only good film actually

>Was Oshii the best person you could ask to adapt GitS into a movie?
Avalon is close to GitS and Blade Runner visually and thematically

You have a single fact to back that up?

I didn't say "live-action movie" I just said "movie"

I wasn't talking about the 2017 shitfest, were you?

that's a pretty wild claim

I could go on for days about how Villeneuve constructs every shot, cut and line of dialogue as if they were not-so-subtle nudges to make the intellectually stunted feel like they're in on some intricate evolution in the art of plot; how Deakins' cinematography has just enough stylized gimmickry to pass off as something above-average to the ordinary moviegoer, from which such people can pat themselves on the back for having sat through their idea of cinema; how each "instropective" moment with the camera superfluously lingering on Gosling's dopey, emotionless face as he stares at nothing feels oh so very contrived, deliberate and unnatural; and how the movie is completely devoid of artistic merit and is merely a product that builds off of the legacy of a timeless classic.

But I won't.

He directed TWO non live-action GitS movies if you want to be a smart ass about it, mr smart ass

Reddit game with meme references

yeah well we're talking about that looks the most like a Blade Runner ripoff and sucks the least, punk!

Deus Ex 1 is closer to Robocop's Detroit and The Terminator's machine-run future in aesthetics than Blade Runner imo the only place that looks Blade Runner-ish is Hong Kong but that is true of the real life place
>Ironic because the Ghost in the Shell movie just copied Blade Runner's visuals
Also Ironic since the Eidos' Deus Ex prequels copied Ghost in the Shell's visuals

No that'd be Polytechnique, Incendies and Sicario

youtube.com/watch?v=6iqmIoHL74Y

Innocence looks a lot more like Blade Runner though. The fact that you keep attaching avatars to your post doesn't help your argument by the way

My vision is augmented.

Reddit Runner 2049 epitomizes the disgusting sequel culture in which we live in

Reminder that this is Review Screw.

tfw from Wisconsin and liked Revenge of the Sith