Sup Forums praises Del Toro for years

>Sup Forums praises Del Toro for years
>Del Toro wins an award for a movie
>Sup Forums looses their shit because it contains gay characters and is about race mixing and you can't do anything like that without getting "HURR MUH LIBERAL PROPOGANDA" people crawling out of the woodwork

I'm unironically curious as to what its like to have political opinions so autisticly strong that it actually effects the kind of movies you're allowed to enjoy. It sounds lonely and jaded to be honest.

>about race-mixing
>the girl is part fish
???

Sup Forums has been shitting on del toro ever since he started using twitter, try again friend

Del Toro made like, 3 good movies. Almost everything he's done since Pan's Labyrinth has been downright bad, and the rest has been unremarkable.

That wasn't even a deep or complex metaphor man come on get your shit together

This. That was pretty obvious when we get to see her scars.

Hey fuck you man Hellboy and Pacific Rim were Kino

Your opinion is wrong

>You're allowed to enjoy

Yeah I saw this when i didn't even look at it as a film with political themes and it was still incredibly weak compared to not only his previous work but every other nominee from year, literally every one of them. I got a lot more out of watching Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, and Get Out than i did the Shape of Fish Sticks

The problem has to do with the enormous bounds of logic the story makes with how characters react to things. That one guy got his beloved cat ripped to pieces by a feral creature and he genuinely doesn't care at all, because he's so happy for the main character? I'm supposed to buy this? Keep in mind that isnt the only example where people do some erroneously retarded shit.

Every post I've seen about SHape of Water on Sup Forums has agreed that it was the best film of those nominated

>>Sup Forums praises Del Toro for years
I must have missed your hellboy circlejerks

Classic contrarian shit. They love it until it wins, then they hate it.

Reddit is doing this shit too since it beat their beloved Call Me A Fag movie.

Tbh I'd be more upset too, but eh it's understandable why some people wouldn't react too hard

Of all his shit, I've only liked Hellboy 1 and Pacific Rim. Honestly, that's his only good work. His sequels never live up to the originals.
Blade 2 was mediocre, a bit too over the top compared to the first. Hellboy 2 was ok, the same as Blade, but at least Hellboy 2's plot was very tight like the first movies.
Pan was alright. Didn't really dig it but I can see the praise.

what the fuck are you on about? I said the opposite of what you just posted

off yourself mate

it was a bad movie senpai, boring ,predictable and has no character arcs or real tension and every other movie considered for the oscar was superior to this shit .
a man staling\harassing another man or a woman fucking an animal isnt 'taboo' in film its just that there should be a point to it other then
>most movies dont have zoophilia and homo stalking \ sexual harassment so if it put it in my movie its gona get attention

i like del toro but he did a m night shamalayamalayamala move with this movie .

you spelled Sup Forums wrong newfaggot

Think you replied to the wrong post m8

Pandora had it coming

>Should have a point other than to get attention

Are you joking

Like the metaphor wasn't even that hard to get

Fucking cats are shit

Forgot Pacific Rim and I had assumed Hellboy was pre-Labyrinth, it was included in my initial estimation. He's made 4.
Are you going to try and extol the virtues of Crimson Peak to me here?

>effects
It's affects.

Crimson Peak was kino, I'll fucking fight you

The characters are admittedly pretty underwritten, Except that antag who I will never not defend but honestly del toro has always had his strength in aesthetic, cinematography and lighting, of which it's undoubtedly a masterpiece. Honestly not many movies can make me feel the way his do in terms of aesthetic.

oh im sorry, MR SCIENTIST

Can you describe the fish's character?

>>Sup Forums looses their shit
>looses
>oo

It's okay, it's a rookie mistake. Your welcome.

it's the retards from leaking Sup Forums who don't have any clue about films.

Movie is objective 6.5

Its a "oh that was nice" and forget about it movie, not a best picture.

Pan lab was much better

The fish man was white

Crimson Peak was forgotten by basically everybody as soon as it left theatres (that's actually being generous, I'm pretty sure most people forgot about it while it was still playing). Del Torro is surprisingly capable of doing dumb fun fantasy (Hellboy/Pacific Rim) and has okay creature design, but he's not well suited to bringing out human performances and telling touching or captivating stories, which is what Crimson Peak tried to be (albeit dressed up in a horror movie costume). I actually have no idea how the fuck he made Pan's Labyrinth so good, but he has a very difficult time getting good nuanced performances from characters, and without gorgeous visual design or fantasy elements that becomes really apparent.

That was one of my bigger problems with Shape of Water desu. It was what should have been a subtle and complex story but told in a very obvious and shallow way.

He likes catS AND BEATING UP PUSSY THAT CAN'T TALK BACK BOOYAKACHA

Pacific Rim was shit

I wasn't expecting some masterpiece from Crimson Peak, it was just good spooky atmosphere. The design and feel was on point, and that's all you can ask for a movie like that. Hence, kino.

>Sup Forums praises Del Toro for years
When did this happen? A couple of autistic chucklefucks not being called out isn't the whole of Sup Forums. I remember everyone pointing out how shit Pacific Rim was. And Crimson Peak was mediocre at best.
Del Toro hasn't been anywhere close to good since Hellboy 2

This

A lot of people forget that movies are a group project and blame auteur directors for their downsides. Most of TSoWs problems are with acting and writing.

I really don't give a shit about having things like race mixing be the plot of your movie. But when that's the ONLY reason your movie is receiving such high praise, it's fucking bullshit.

Shape of Water was "okay", but it fucking won because of an agenda, and if you can't recognize that you are BLIND. Also, I'm a Jew, and I'm not Sup Forums at all. This is just facts.

Bull fucking shit. Shape of Water was among the worst nominees and pretty much every post here was taking the piss out of it. Stop this revisionism

he has like 6 cats and clealy the human woman he cares deeply about is more important in the current situation than one of his six cats that died. This is like the 4th time I've seen people bring up the cat thing, which youtube video mentioned it that you guys are parroting? Because only dumbasses parroting some idol could be so dumb.

>I remember everyone pointing out how shit Pacific Rim was

>Sup Forums loves del toro
>2016 election happens
>redditors flood Sup Forums
>get bored with Sup Forums after election finishes
>bring their shitty political trash opinions to other boards
>"""Sup Forums""" now hates del toro

WRONG

>that's all you can ask for a movie like that
Or, you know, good writing....
Seriosuly, it was fucking stupid
>here's some ghosts...
>gotcha! the ghosts have literally no relevance to the plot!
>and rather than warning her about crimson in advance, let's wait until the last minute

I don't understand are you saying people didn't shit on Pacific Rim?

I never saw the movie, because I'm a fan of Otaku culture and Mecha, and Del Toro tries to fucking rape it. He's a fucking hack ever since Pan's.

When will the Sup Forums meme end

Gang weeders rise up

Pacific Rim is literally Plebbit's favourite film not made by Nolan

They'll eventually go back to r*ddit where they belong

metaphor for what ? real life experimentation on animals ? its still shit .
yea i guess if we're talking aesthetics only its pretty great , still orders of magnitude shittier then something like BR2049 . characters were unbelievable as fuck . that retarded general guy would never get any officer commission and that strickland dude would never get a security job in a place like the one in the movie in real life .

the only 'arcs' in the movie is the main woman deciding to be an animal rights activist when she hears they're gonna kill that fish and her neighbor deciding to help her when he gets rejected after harassing and stalking and loses his job .

Fucking a fish person is always a metaphor for race-mixing. Ever read "The Shadow Over Innsmouth"?

What the fuck are you on about idiot, the ghosts had complete relevance to the plot. They were trying to warn her about crazy mommy

>Man this person falls in love with something taboo and is living a life that contradicts the lifestyle of this guy who thinks his lifestyle and type shape[/shape] of love is the only morally correct version what could this mean there's a metaphor here somewhere but I can't get my mind wrapped around it

I can'tbe the only one that thought the movie was amazing disregarding all the political stuff? Everyone is saying it only one for its political agenda but I wasn't crying my eyes out at the end because it had a gay in it and a bad white guy... Richard Jenkins and Sally Hawkins gave amazing performances and I can't remember the last time I've seen a proper fairy tale film since Pans Labyrinth. A story about a mute woman who turns into a fish. Its amazing. Although if it was my choice I would have given it to Phantom Thread which might even be the better fairytale movie.

Well, it was way better than Dunkirk (which is the only other nom I've seen)
But it was also worse than Moonlight by a large margin.

It was really fucking pretty, tho. And I'm always a fan of sci-fi and fantasy getting proper recognition.
So I'm glad that it won. Far worse films have gotten the award.

>They were trying to warn her about crazy mommy
They did a fuck appalling job of that. Like unbelievably bad. They had one fucking job and completely shat the bed on doing it. They couldn't have fucked up worse if they tried.
Hence being entirely pointless

Nah it was spectacular. Not like groundbreaking but it was seriously great. Sup Forums is just contrarian as fuck and anything involving blacks or faggots turns them on their heads

More like GRINDING NEMO America fellas

Its shittiness had nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the way that the fish monster was barely human and was actually portrayed basically as beastiality

Dude they're GHOSTS they can't talk all they can do is point and shit. It was all internally consistent to the logic of the film. Go take your aspie Reddit talk back to /r/truefilm. Crimson Peak is well executed in its genre.

study up on cults, these people have had their perception of the world fucked up by demagogues. they're culturally and civically illiterate

>DelTroro admits his films always have deep political meaning
>"Fucking Sup Forums you always bring up politics"

Take Del Toro's dick out of your mouth and think about it for a second. If the ghosts weren't in the film, NOTHING would have changed except the main character wouldn't have been so smug and the audience wouldn't have been waiting for a pay-off that never came. That's bad writing

>Crimson Peak is well executed in its genre
Is its genre "being a shitty disgrace using gothic romance as an excuse for being so shitty"?

lmao fuck I gotta stop phoneposting at work

Could someone name a Oscar win that didn't have a political agenda?
I'm genuinely curious.

It’s almost like that part is one of the major glaring flaw in the movie that instantly catch a lot of people’s attention. Not everyone needs some youtuber to have an opinion on a film. Also, not only the fish man killed the cat but personally attack the artist in panic and give him a pretty deep cut. The artist comment that the creature is a wild untamed beast. You would think that incident would change the disposition of the protagonists regarding the fish man and perhaps bring in some conflict among them. However, it was completely side-lined. You get a touching scene of Elisa finding the fish man conveniently in the theater next door (no civilian also saw him) right after. Oh, fish man also pulled healing power out of his ass to heal the artist. That healing power is a lazy clutch plot device for the movie.

The Departed

The Artist

he lost his /ourguy/ status when he started to rant about ebil white people being responsible for everything bad in the world also fuck gobald rumpf.

you don't have to be a brainiac to see this reflected in his latest project "the sounds of fish fucking"

He like most people that complain about Sup Forums weren't here in 2013
the majority came after 2015

people like you are the ones who came from reddit. being an asshole and non-pc has been a Sup Forums culture as far back as I can remember but then you fags come and whine anytime someone says nigger

The Godfather?
Annie Hall?
Lawrence of Arabia?

There's a lot

you would have to go back 17 years. unironically. I think the last one was Gladiator

Del Toro is style over substance personified. He has no writing talent whatsoever.
>muh effects
Mediocre director and the shape of water was a legit 4/10 movie

>the sounds of fish fucking
>never actually hear the noise they make during sex
what did he mean by this?

>Lawrence of Arabia?
You need to rewatch it. It's way more political than ASOW.

People are just realizing after three bad films in a row that his filmography is shockingly mediocre for a supposed auteur.

>a supposed auteur
Who has ever called Del Toro an auteur? They should never be allowed to talk about film again

Return of the King.

>wtf i love pans labyrinth, what a masterpiece!
>WTF SHAPE OF WATER SUCKS IT HAS TOO MUCH POLITICS

the irony the irony

"Muh racism" is the weakest possible theme to use in a movie, it's right next to "transpeople victimisation". Oddly enough 2 movies with each theme won an award this year.

I like his movie but as fun and enjoyable casual stuff.I never think any of his movie deserve an oscar but they have their merit for entertainment nevetherless. That’s why I dislike the fact that shape of water won so many awards for an average del toro film just because he pander really hard and unsubtly to the current political trend and virtue signal. Also, I believe that many bad part of shape of water gappens due to making sure the virtue signaling and social message is straight and satisfy the oscar voter-base instead of being more grey.

I agree with almost all you wrote. But I liked that it was so black and white. It's like a classic fairy tale or Disney film. This is also part of why it's not a truly great film. But it gives it charm nonetheless. And everything can't be a Bergman or Lean.

>lying on the internet

You get shit on when you sell out like a prostitute for an oscar
no contradiction

Did you read Hansel and Grettle as a kid and complain about the feasibility of a breadcrumb trail? Do you watch evil dead and go "how the fuck did he attach that chainsaw to his arm thats a stupid plot device". Do you even know what plot device means? Do you really believe that, after just risking his life on a much grander scale just to help this woman get her fish love out of a government facility, its MOST logical that he NOW gets upset about it being around scratching his arm and eating one of his cats? You don't think that would create needlessly forced conflict within a story that has significantly more pressing stakes at play? If they did that you would be complaining about the forced conflict between the two protagonists. His calm reaction adds so much to your connection and sympathy for the character where as him going HE ATE MY CAT WAHHH HE SCRATCHED MY ARM YOU ARE TOTALLY MAKING MY LIFE LIKE A TOtAL PAIN RIGHT NOW. Your reading of the situation is like these two people have just met at the beginning of the movie, instead of the mature relationship between two people who have nothing but each other and care deeply for one another that the film actually portrays. Have you been formally educated past the 8th grade?

>almost an hour later, this is the best response he could think of

I was dancing to the Temptations with my dog

It's not only due to "the liberal agenda", the movie could be a far-right wet dream and it would still be relentlessly shitted on, just because Oscar = popular, and mos Sup Forums kiddies are extremely scared of liking anything remotely mainstream.

Don't fuck your dog user

I didn't he's too small

It's almost as if Sup Forums isn't one person
It's actually 2. You and a Russian shitposterздpaвcтвyй :)

>of which it's undoubtedly a masterpiece

Everything looks murky and dim. It's not a good looking movie.

I don't think this movie had that, del taco is kino master and has never let me down, but on the same topic:
Liberal propaganda is everywhere, doesnt it get tiresome at some point? hearing variations of the same music again and again and again everywhere... i am not a genius myself but holy fuck even brainlets should have caught on by now.

I was tired of it by the time 12 Years a Slave came out. And that was forever ago. I just watch foreign kino now

I say that healing power is a lazy plot device because it just came out of nowhere just there to nicely resolve the situation for the protagonist for free. It happens in this instant and in the end of the movie as well. Viewers would wonder why that healing did not kick in when he was being hurt in the facility or if it did, none of the people studying him notice it and report it.
Also, if you actually have friend, you would know true friendship is not just accepting everything your friend do and just go along with it. You do not even know what matured friendship mean. It was plausible that the artist decide to take the risk to rescue the creature with Elisa because Elisa convince him that the creature is sentient with her description of their interaction and it’s being tortured and possibly killed. However, the cat incident gave the artist an impression that the creature was more wild and untamed compared to his previous perception of it based on Elisa’s story. The next thing you know, he found out that the Elisa was actually having a sexual relationship with the creature and seem to just accept it and found it beautiful. Wouldn’t he be concerned than the creature wild side can kick in and hurt Elisa? Accepting that relationship is much different than rescuing a creature in danger.
What does the bread crumbs in the fairy tale has to do with this? The whole bread crumb thing is that young children are dumb and made mistake and lack the foresight to see that the bread crumbs might be eaten by critters. It was a totally plausible part of that fairy tale
It is just weird movie that is advertised and praised as “fairy tale” for adult to have such black and white set up when there are many fairy tale stories that has more nuance in their plot.

>anything I don't like is propaganda

Fair enough. But I think my point stands, there are definitely best picture winners that aren't political in any way.

>The Broadway Melody
>Grand Hotel
>Mutiny on the Bounty
>Rebecca
>Hamlet
>All About Eve
>Around the World in 80 days
>Bridge on the River Kwai
>West Side Story
>My Fair Lady
>The Sting
>Rocky
>Silence of the Lambs
>Gladiator
>Return of the King
>No Country for Old Men
I don't know why I put so much effort into this post, no one's going to reply to it.