When exactly did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

When exactly did Game of Thrones jump the shark?

I've been rewatching seasons 1-3, and while the quality drops after S2, the third season is still very watchable. By season 6 the show is already full of retarded plot and garbage dialog. Is it a gradual descent to shit?

I think it's generally agreed that the decline started when the show got past the books

No, S3 is where it started.
The thing is, the writing went to shit since S3, but recently, on top of the shity writting, they focused on Emilia Clarke, the worst main actress on that show

Yes, no, maybe.
But I do miss /got/ and I want /got/ to return to Sup Forums. I only care about /got/ and that’s the only reason why I’m bothering to come back to Sup Forums and Sup Forums...

At least one good thing about rewatching is that you can skip the awful Daenerys parts and pretend like she's just some looming threat in the distance

OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY GOLDSHITS

NEEEEEED, GET THE THREAD STRETCHER

When they started adding stuff that wasn't in the books, while also taking away shit that was in the books.

First scene where Corbray died like a little bitch instead of fighting the Other as a man of the night's watch.

WWWWWWHHHOOOOOOOOOOORRRREEE

Season 3 Episode 10. Flat out spoils the finale of the next season by revealing that Stannis will save the wall for absolutely no reason. Made it clear that they had no interest in pacing the story beyond the Red Wedding. In season 4 things got progressivly dumber (remember Yara and the dogs? Or the "Locke joins the Night's Watch" subplot?) and only saved from catastropy by some good shit lifted straight from the book. Season 5 and beyond is iredeemable.

Early season 4

For me it jumped shark season 4-5ish. I was obsessed with it for season 1, 2, and my hype was peaked season 3. Le Red Wedding was good, I mean I can't argue with the production quality of all the big moments. Season 3 was when the story just started going everywhere. I just don't like GRRM direction of the story period. Season 4 and 5, while still I kept hyped, just seemed to get worse with every episode. Yeah I liked the siege of the wall, yeah I liked battle of the bastards. The rest was just kinda bad. I have no real interest in where the story goes. We lost all the best strong male leads that carried a story about violence, murder, and medieval warfare. I liked the historical fiction aspect of the first few seasons. I don't care for how what once was a subtle fantasy element now has evolved to become the dominant plot device. It's basically a team of super heroes going to fight a big magical evil. It's like a fucking final fantasy video game. Might as well be a disney/marvel capeshit story at this point.

people bitch and complain about season 4, but i thought everything s1-s4 was watchable and entertaining. s5 destroyed everything

Season 3 was the last good season, and with S4 it turned 90% utter shit, and it has been steadily degrading since then. Season 2 wasn't that good either though. The later seasons have bits and pieces of kino, like the Mountain vs the Viper, most of the S6 finale, and the Hodor episode. But they sacrificed so much nuance from the books to cater to the retarded mainstream audience and so much bad screenwriting has seeped through that most scenes are generic garbage.

S1→S3→S2→S4→S5→S6→S7

1-3 are still pretty enjoyable, but it really started to get boring after that with so many weird decisions being made. I'm not even a bookfag (I read the first one and thought it was just okay), but it does seem the show desperately needed more content to draw ideas from, but I also can't blame them for thinking the fat fuck would actually write the books and not just sit around and bitch on his blog.
Also, starting from maybe season 5 or 6, I forget the exact point, it became more and more obvious Jon was just your typical boring hero character and would probably be endgame. Catelyn did nothing wrong by saying that cunt should've been hurt instead of Bran, she was trying to save us from a by-the-books fantasy """"twist"""".

It's fine, it hit a bump but it really picked up again in Season 7.

>most of the S6 finale
>he thought the S6 finale was good
>Hodor

Lol pleb

Let me break it down for you.

Seaon 1 is great except for the embarrassing sexposition moments. We all know why they are there, but that doesn't make them any better. Other than that, the only thing wrong with S1 is the lack of budget - plot characters and tory are all fantastic.

I rewatched S2 recently and I was surprised how hit and miss it was - everyone mostly remembers Tyrion doing his thing in KL and the Blackwater episode. Otherwise the season is kind of dull, and Jon and Dany don't have much to do.

S3 picks up again and the whole season really sells the red wedding. It's very obvious that this is why D and D made the show at all.

S4 is where everything starts to get creaky. There's good bits and filler as well, but the characters start getting weaker.

S5 is dogshit. Nothing makes sense, it leaves everyone miserable for no purpose, Dany does nothing, Jon dies in the dumbest way possible, so does Stannis, the Northern plot is retarded and Dorne is introduced. Worst fucking season.

S6 has spectacle, but the plot is really poor and the characters are weak as fuck. The north doesn't remember and nothing has much concequence.

S7 is cartoonish. Cersei is somehow in charge of westeros despite blowing up the not vatican, Jon and Dany do the whole romance thing in the most cringy way possible, Tyrion is useless and Dinklage looks like he doesn't want to be there, and Theon's character arc is him getting kicked in his groin wound and not feeling pain. It's really bad, but it didn't make me miserable like S5.

If you ask me, the whole thing derailed at the back end of Season 4. Joffreyand Tywin died and the Red Wedding was long gone - D and D didn't care.

It was actual engaging television as opposed to most of the rest of the show. Sure I wish it'd be the conclusion to a plot that actually followed the books, but for what it was, it was pretty good.

In second season I noticed the quality drop, in third season I really didn't want to continue watching
by the fourth season I wasn't even aware it started, I just didn't care anymore

The quality kept getting worse but it became unwatchable when they killed Barristan. Not that he was the best character (though he's great), but it's when they decided they could start killing off characters prematurely or without payoff when they didn't need or want them anymore, and just recycle or combine them into another character, to have that other character do what the dead one would have or was supposed to. This started leading to plots that went nowhere or plots that were dropped altogether.

>the fat fuck would actually write the books and not just sit around and bitch on his blog
He published 5 Books from 1996 to 2011. The last ones taking 5 and than 6 years.
It was to exspected that the next take as long or maybe 7 years to write/publish.

I felt like the RW was mishandled. They went for shock and spectacle, but failed to build up the characters before their demise. Robb and Cat both had a lot more memorable scenes in S1 and S2 than they did in S3 prior to the wedding.

>implying the fat fuck will ever finish the series

B-but muh brown hairy butthole fantasy

I always laugh when many people seem to forget how awful S5 was.
>jaime and bronn go on a secret mission to a region that might as well have been cut from the show to fight le sand sneks setting up the infamous "weak men will never rule dorne again" line

I very much agree with this.

Also, it's a real shame that the show did not just brought itself down after a few years, it also brought down GRRM and his writing, because of all the popularity and him getting lazier and lazier...

>Theon's character arc is him getting kicked in his groin wound and not feeling pain.
I still don't understand how anyone thought this was a good idea. He has a fucking wound there and even then, kicking someone in the pelvis hurts like hell. But I guess making some stupid joke about
>NO BALLS=NO PAIN XDDD
was more important.

Season 1 was the best. You could argue season 2 because it had a bigger budget but Season 1 had the best dialogue. Season 3 is not as good as 1 or 2 but it feels like mainly because the big budget started getting to them, which isnt too bad because the production value was even better than 1 or 2. Season 4 is when it starts to get clear that they are slowing down the story telling out of fear for reaching the end of the written books, and they start doing their own shitty dialogue and the episodes lose any kind of dramatic propulsion. Season 5 is astonishingly bad, slow, pointless, shallow. Unsurprisingly season 6 follows down that path, although now their budget is obscenely high so it basically functions as a straight up action comedy.

Season 2 with the Robb/Talisa romance plot.

That was Ser Waymer Royce.

Winds of Winter is predicted to come in 2019

>2019
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It jumped the shark when they introduced the night king

What the fuck are the white walkers?

ice zombie elves

martin is pretty unoriginal