Documentries

What are some of the best (Can be most powerful, or most comfy) documentaries?

I will start with "Alone in the wilderness"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YeA-OMH57No
youtube.com/watch?v=L8UHz7CNQss
youtube.com/watch?v=zi-f_J6hV-g
youtube.com/watch?v=NEHLXYs-r-U
youtube.com/watch?v=GCZoIExTBVo
youtube.com/watch?v=IGw9kU71DIc
youtube.com/watch?v=i6eNK1O-RWw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I unironically enjoyed that Flint Town series, it had some pretty entertaining cop bantz. Could give a fuck about all of the "oh boo hoo I am a police wife and I stare at a police scanner app on my phone for 18 hours a day" scenes though, I fast forwarded through that shit lel

Pic related, obligatory.
Also Restrepo and Child of Rage

fuck yeah my dude, literally just ordered this yesterday

A Dark State is pretty goat.

Project Nim

Sup Forums is intellectually impaired so this thread won't appeal to them

Of all the shit taste this board has, when it comes to documentaries it is the most embarrassingly shitty

this is from the 70s, about a beat cop in a bad neighborhood in canada, he mostly just tells drunks and whores to go away

youtube.com/watch?v=YeA-OMH57No

Probably the opposite of comfy but very powerful is BBC Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl starring Ade Edmonson as Valery Legasov, the lead investigator of the disaster and based on the audio-taped confession he made before he committed suicide due to his regret at covering up the cause of the accident and ruining his career in the process when the truth came out. Despite having British actors not even trying to do Russian accents, it's really gripping because it's more a recreation than a documentary.

youtube.com/watch?v=L8UHz7CNQss

Just watched all the Herzog docs on Netflix
tfw Dieter

Grey Gardens- Incredibly fascinating character study of a mother and daughter living in a rotting mansion in Long Island; each are trapped in their own fantasies of the past, which in turn reflects their worldview.

Just buy a fucking spoon man it's like 50 cents or some shit

O.J: Made in America has so much content in it besides just the OJ case it's so well done, but it is like 9 hours.

Tower.
Welcome to Leith
The 75
Going Clear: Scientology
Tickled

they say he carved it from a better spoon

>Watching a guy build a cabin in the Alaskan woods by himself isn't comfy

Okay then.

Anyone who browses this website should be required to watch this.

second episode of Dirty Money is pretty good

Creepy R. Crumb

I read an article where Roger Deakins recommended a bunch of documentaries and this was the only one I could find. The filmmakers meet random people in Paris and kind of follow them around while they talk about life or whatever. I probably don't make it sound very good but It's nice.

>better

Tickled was amazing, would recommend to anybody. Just go in blind you won't regret it.

Similarly, are there any recommendations for documentaries that start off relatively innocuous but end up getting more twisted/darker?

pure kino. the look into their lives is incredible

It liberal, but "Harlan County USA" gets dark near the end as the strike continues.

This guy was so weird.

Although did anybody ever doubt he did what he was accused of? Nothing he said was corroborated and everybody that was an issue for him ended up dying. You're either the culprit or the unluckiest guy ever. The part where he said "you killed them, of course"
at the end was pretty interesting.

Thanks man

I really enjoy that film, you couldn't do the movie today as people would be trying to be on the reality TV, instead it just miners and a company having a long strike.

people start to die near the end before they settle

Koyaanisqatsi is essential but some may argue that it's not "really" a documentary.

Did he do it?

It's an assisted sound experience.

>Similarly, are there any recommendations for documentaries that start off relatively innocuous but end up getting more twisted/darker?

carts of darkness
youtube.com/watch?v=zi-f_J6hV-g
the ad for it was showing a guy riding shopping carts downhill, but they really get involved with some homeless, show a guy who keeps drinking and the nerve damage in his hand is adding up

This

audio kino coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=NEHLXYs-r-U

East Side Story
youtube.com/watch?v=GCZoIExTBVo

It's a meme but it actually is worth watching.

I think he was commenting on the board's taste, not your thread. I'd have to agree too, it's even worse on neo-Sup Forums.

Good one.

True, I normally just hang out in the webm threads where people actually discuss movies.

The Salt of the Earth

Grizzly Man

Century Of Self.
Seriously.
Watch it.

What the fuck do people even mean when they say something is "powerful"?
I find certain things interesting, but I've never watched anything that significantly changed how I thought or feel, which I assume is what it's supposed to mean. It is a foreign concept to me.

Most people are easily swayed by emotions

its old, but Harlan County USA is a classic.

Ruin the lives of his cutie patootie daughters? Certainly, and for that he deserves to hang.

This.

Also:
Cocaine Cowboys
Darwin's Nightmare

Huh. I can't think of anything that has affected me emotionally to the point where i've done something I normally wouldn't. At least not from a movie or book or something like that.
I genuinely cannot fathom how they effect people.

>significantly changed
Something powerful doesn't really need to change you. That's a meme. A powerful film will just resonate with you emotionaly.

howd you find this

Canadian docukino coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=IGw9kU71DIc

About bums in Calgary in the early 90's

One guy had 70k saved up from bottle money, but he preferred the bum lyfe

Another guy was a head geologist making 200k a year, but then became an alcoholic

all that work..... just buy a spoon for 30 cents retard

I mean, i've teared up a bit during some scenes. Primarily in scenes involving the love between family or the loss of family. That shit hits me hard as long as it's done well. Outside of that I might as well be a brick.

>from bottle money
literally how

In Canada you can recycle cans and bottle for money, bums go around collecting cans to survive

Well, those films are powerful films for (you) because they have powerful themes.

The Documentary Now! pisstakes of these are kino, especially the Thin Blue Line one
Also the Jiro pisstake

this was very good

it used to be on netflix, probably free because it's nfb

on the subject of nfb, project grizzly, unlike an american he doesn't get eaten
youtube.com/watch?v=i6eNK1O-RWw

I find it sad how the area got so much worse and the guy lived until a few years ago and saw all his work go to waste, to think a cop now would tell someone to get out of east hastings

10 cents a bottle/can of alcohol
700k bottles
5 years is 1825 days
700k/1825 = 380
if you can go by apartments that's doable, was probably collecting disability or something on top

I wish my state would do that.

>10 cents a bottle/can of alcohol
>700k bottles
>5 years is 1825 days
>700k/1825 = 380
>if you can go by apartments that's doable, was probably collecting disability or something on top
H O L Y S H I T
O
L
Y I K E S
F
U
C
K

Yeah, I was unemployed for a bit and I would collect bottles and cans and actually survived well enough for a while.

>tfw 12 years ago playing a dwarf hunter named proenekke

Shit taste desu senpai