Best Sherlock Holmes adaptation of the last decade

How did they do it?

By not turning him into an autistic superhero.

They didn't. It sucked the big one.

>"Best Sherlock Holmes adaptation of the last decade"
Wow, they sure were up against a lot of competition.

This new wave of "if you're smart, you're autistic" in TV/movies feels like deliberate anti-intellectual propaganda to me.

By focusing on the mystery of the week more than the characters, letting them progress slowly and naturally. Also a crime procedural that actually understands modern technology which is refreshing even though it shouldn't be.

That wasn’t the problem. The awful deus ex machina riddled script writing and forced gay tension shit literally added for the tumblr audience was the problem

>they made Moriarty and Irene Adler the same person
yeah I'm all set

There's a difference between a character who is smart and uses the clues in front of him to deduce the possibilities of what happened, then drawing up conclusions to a case, opposed to one who walks into a room, loudly exclaims he is smarter than everybody, looks at one insignificant detail, deduces that an international conspiracy and crime syndicate are behind it, declares the case solved and then berates the other characters present for not being on his level of intellectual superiority.

completely unwatchable
it stinks

This is literally every Steven Moffat script and show

By hiring good writers and a good actor to play Holmes.

He is a psychopath not an autist

And it hasn't even aired yet.

Don’t forget the repetitive ramping up score that plays in the background to try and make your character feel like le ebin badass

>It being not a paint-by-numbers adaptation of the books it did well by changing certain characters. IE Joan Watson, giving Lestrade's role to someone else and turning Lestrade in a glorified cameo. And Moriarty = Irene. Gives for a fresh look on the story
>By not bringing in a love story between Joan and Sherlock
>The longest a mystery goes on is at best a couple of episodes, but in those episodes there's still another mystery contained to that episode, so every episode feels more or less fresh and not drawn out.
>Actors of Sherlock, Joan, Det. Bell and Cap. Gregson have great chemistry together
>Making Sherlock a proper Sherlock. He still has feelings and he still feels human.
>By giving Joan Watson this boner inducing wardrobe

Horrible fucking show. Worst part is how they make Sherlock into a whiny sexual degenerate.

Sherlock has always been a “degenerate”

By not going to shit after two seasons.

No one asked you Muhammad

No he only did drugs when he was bored. He never was a s&m freak or whatever like in that dumb show

Fuck off kike

He's just a bit kinky.

I really liked that one time Sherlock found a hole in one suspects basement, and instead of magically knowing it hits a power line because he's so incredibly smart he just looked it up on his phone, like a real person might.

spot on, especially the last point

>Wow, they sure were up against a lot of competition.

Well seeing there's movies and a BBC show, I'd say there was a lot of competition.

>Constantly having her come down in her night gown because Sherlock is playing loud music or something
Writers bringing their A game there

>Sherlock into a whiny sexual degenerate.

Bangs twin sisters. How can anyone not respect that?

>muh dick

So two other adaptations of the character?

sherlock homie when?

breathy, lowtalker. had to have subtitles for most of this guys dialogue.
maybe im just going deaf idk

had the same problem. but it works fine with headphones.
(same with other shows like hannibal, no idea why, don't think my tv's speakers are that shitty)

Really enjoyed Elementarys run but the last season was just a step down all around.
For those not up to date: the season ended with Sherlock getting an MRI scan to find a brain tumor. Which had caused schizophrenia (probably won't continue doing so in the next season).
Apparently the tumor will affect his ability to deduce and be a cause for drama and frustration.
The way things went down with Shinwell felt like a waste.
The conclusive piece of evidence in taking down the big time gang was extremely weak.

>By giving Joan Watson this boner inducing wardrobe

I wish that was still the case. It's a lot of pant suits now.
Probably an attempt at a metaphoric change in Watson becoming more like Sherlock.

"Did the scans show anything though. It could be complex ptsd. (The next season should be the last, I'm kind of confident they can wrap it up."

oops sorry fucked up spoilers

At least she still walks barefoot all the time

what else was in this wave? house? spock? any other good ones?

I'm mostly just going on what interviews seemed to have implied.
But rereading it now, I guess I probably jumped the gun.

Too bad I'm not into feet.

I mean I could be wrong, but I paused at the scan and I didn't see anything. Other comments on the internet then seemed to indicate, that when he was beat up, this could have affected him.
But I guess we will see. I'm just glad it is coming back for another season. Apparently it was on the verge of cancellation.

>Apparently it was on the verge of cancellation.

Which is weird considering it apparently got more episodes ordered than originally planned.

was mainly thinking of stuff like the imitation game, bbc sherlock, etc. house doesn't seem autistic

Spock was just a smart half-Vulcan with something to prove. He wasn't omniscient.

Wait when was there gay tension? I stopped watching after the shark guy.

IIRC the same thing happened last season, hemming and hawing about renewal, then renewing for a half-season, then extending to a full season. Very strange. Also annoying how the only home video release is on DVD...

>tfw you realize one season of Elementary = 3 full Seasons of Sherlock if you go by pure hours

And you missed nothing. I was curious about the last episode, about a Holmes sister. And my god the pain. Seriously awful.

Yes, yes, I know. And I mean it, Sherlock was great for two season, or series as they say; and I'm currently rewatching Elementary, and it holds up greatly so far (am mid-season three). As much as I really loved Sherlock when it came out, ultimately there is more to the other one.

Only with drugs. If anything he was asexual. He wasn't a smart ass like House, just said what he thought with no fucks given. Didn't act like an emotional mess like Sherlock. He just got down when he was bored. There has not been, nor is it likely (with the need for things to be so edgy now) that there will be a better interpretation than pic related. Perfect degree of aloofness and disregard for anyone else's feeling or sensibilities, but not an in your face asshole or wizard action hero.

Elementary is consistent to the point where I can't even pin down which season was the best. Granted few of the episodes really "stand out" as a result but they're all consistently well executed and maximum comfy.

Miller's Sherlock captures this pretty well actually. Not a total asshole, he acknowledges when he makes mistakes and actually uses the expertise of others when it comes to fields he doesn't specialize in.

So now that Elementary is essentially becoming a scripted Summer show, do you think it will have more life breathed into it? I got the impression the writers were just going to bring it to an end with this upcoming season because of the brain tumor, but if it does well in the summer ratings-wise, it might be able to keep going a couple seasons more.

Morland Holmes was ACES.

Completely agree, and I was pretty sceptical at first, especially with Lucy Liu of all people as Watson (I only knew her from Charlie's Angels).
Also Johnny (Jonny?) Lee Miller makes a better Sherlock long term, I think. I can't even properly articulate - and I don't think it is because English isn't my native language - what was going on with the Cumberbatch-Sherlock lately. I mean, the latest season just didn't really make any sense, the actor is aging terribly, and Moffat of all people seems to be in some sort of strange love/hate-relationship with internet-fans, and baiting them in ways that don't make sense to people who don't follow the online fandom.
Strange indeed.

>maximum comfy
any episode with snow is unbelievably comfy to watch. damn shame none of the upcoming season got filmed in the winter, so we won't see any snow this time around.

Again, not from the US, but from what I've picked up, they didn't cancel it because they basically didn't have anything better to replace it.
I would love to have it around for a couple of more seasons. But are the actors up for it? I must get a bit tiresome?

>that episode where they bribe a fucking snowtruck driver to chauffeur them around the snow blanketed city on a case
I did NOT expect that and was grinning the entire time. Just helped to make the setting feel that much more lived in like an actual fucking city. By contrast, I never once found Moffat's London believable. Everyone in it was just an NPC for Cabbagepatch.

>they basically didn't have anything better to replace it.
CBS has too many shows every given season. Or I should say, it has more dramas than it knows what to do with. This season alone CBS (will have) bought in 4 new dramas to the lineup. They shot themselves in the foot with that because they had to soft-cancel one to fit in another, and due to unexpected minimal success of the other two, they had to push Code Black and Elementary from the regular Fall-Winter-Spring schedule to late Spring-Summer. The longer CBS keeps it's returning dramas on air, the less timeslots it has to put new dramas in, or put returning ones they don't want to pull the trigger on in.
The only time CBS has to worry about not having enough shows is when it comes to the comedy line-up.

>So now that Elementary is essentially becoming a scripted Summer show

It's not summer it's just mid-season. April. And it got a full season order.

It starts on the last day of April, Monday the 30th. Assuming they keep with it's regular schedule of one episode a week, that brings us to September 24th with a full 22 episode season. Fall usually starts that week or the week after for CBS. That has more of the season airing in Summer than not, effectively making it a summer show.

Interesting, thank you.
And maybe this question seems idiotic to you, but does a summer time-slot in the US mean the station basically doesn't really have confidence in the show? Or that it is a paint-by-the-numbers thing? Many quality content seems to be released in early autumn or spring, around march?

>but does a summer time-slot in the US mean the station basically doesn't really have confidence in the show?
Stations definitely put less effort into summer (May to September) shows since the seasons have to be shorter, otherwise airing multiple episodes a week increases the risk of losing the audience faster for them not being able to keep up with the schedule. They will still put shows on but will usually show reruns of the main Fall-Winter-Spring (September to May) season alongside a couple summer-only shows to fill in the gaps.

>Japanese
>Female
>Sherlock
Hell yeah

Sherlock Holmes has been portrayed (in live action adaptations) by at least 40 actors between 2008 and 2018.

Thank you.
You know, the really depressing thing is, I live and work in two small european countries, and both their broadcasting corporations' output is far far worse than whatever US stations have in the summer ;)

As an avid reader of the Doyle series, I can confirm that the original Sherlock Holmes wasn't far removed from that level of autism and pomp.
Moffat went fucking overboard starting with season 3, though.

and that's supposed to be a sad wink, not a cheeky one.
I really should go to sleep.

By giving Sherlock character progression and a Watson who could keep up while not being an obnoxious girl power stereotype.

If Elementary is so great why does Sup Forums never have any live threads for it?

It's more comfy than great. Meanwhile there's Cumberbashing to be had. Gee, I wonder which of these we'd latch onto.

>effectively making it a summer show.

no.
just mid season.
but what does a season even mean anymore.
as long as we get 22 episodes i'm happy.

Also when shows aim for "greatness" to try and shake things up, they tend to jump the shark and end up alienating their viewership.

Never heard of this show before, just started the pilot. What am I in for?

How many more did you want there to be in a 10-year span?

Maximum comfort and solving mysteries.

>All the people ITT who think BBC Sherlock is a mystery show / crime drama

>Holmes wasn't a sociopathic manchild, he was just weird

>Watson did stuff and felt like a person

>They actually solved crimes

>Everything wasn't about one dude with dubious motivations trying to do things "because evil"

Take your pick. It wasn't perfect but at least I didn't want to die watching it.

Also good.

Unironically interested.

You're right, it isn't either of those things, it's just garbage.

Most people know by now it was just a cheap limey telenovela.

An okay procedural show that takes episodes to build upon the characters.

What is the best Sherlock Holmes story, and why is it "the red-headed league"?

Conehead

I would say season 1 was pretty easily the best in terms of overarching story, but the crime of the week has been pretty consistently strong.