/ani/ - animation

Would you browse /ani/ - animation?
Just a board for talking about all forms of animation/animating. No talking about the characters in the show, the plots, nothing but the animation itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14005918
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

strawpoll.me/14005918

G, I don't think with only static images and webms at our disposal you'll find enough people doing animation.

It needs livestreams or video to even explain or show properly

There are already animation threads on /ic/

Yes but it would be dead as shit since i doubt people would be willing to actively contribute anything after the first month even if it was nsfw. The only threads that would get decent traffic would be the ones complaining about how much better animation was in the old days and how japan animates better than the west.

I'd like to see threads that discuss specific animators and studios and the techniques they use but I don't think enough people here give enough of a shit to keep it alive.

that one thread in /ic/ isn't nearly enough to cover all potential topics you could have about animation.
I think the problem is that Sup Forums has like 8 boards for different fans of animation in different forms, but not one single place where animators can go to talk about animation in general.

>>No talking about the characters in the show, the plots, nothing but the animation itself.

I think you grossly overestimate the number of animators that browse Sup Forums, the limitations are too technical (leading to at best "off topic" discussion and flagrant shitposting at worst) and the board would be dead as fuck. BUt I'd like to be proven wrong at the same time.

I mean, even if its a slow board it would be a pretty good slow board. I'd still lurk it daily and keep the interesting threads on my thread watcher. Honestly I kind of wish there were more slow boards with cool topics because its kind of comfy just having a few threads in the watcher for a week at a time. Its a useless feature when the threads hit bump limit within a few hours

Looks kinda like he's scooting his left foot along the floor.

G, a thread has 150 threads. Do you really think there can be 150 different discussions about animating? Not about animations ie cartoons, just people doing the animating.

At least find something else the board can be about: Animating & ________________

You do realize there are a shitload of different kinds of animation right?
And people can talk about animations all they want, they just have to talk about the animation itself and not which random side character they want to fuck the most

The board would be getting people from Sup Forums, /f/, sprite animators, stop motion animators, 3D animators from /3/, it has a lot of potential as a board, or at least, thats what I think

G, there aren't 150 different kinds of it! A Single board is huge. There's constantly 10K people on Sup Forums at any time of day. It's Comics AND Cartoons, a wide depth of topic. Lots of things that don't even go together all on one board. You need more than just animation. Animation & Glassblowing, etc.

I just don't think many people talk about animation outside of the few /ic/ threads and /3/. Both of which are super slow boards. Here on Sup Forums people just talk about cartoons and characters from them and maybe creators. Not what they themselves are working on. Even the Work on your Art threads are about webcomics and still drawings, no animating.

It's a hard subject to get in to. It takes time, effort and skill. For that reason fewer people even try it. It's not like anime or cartoons or video games you just watch or read or play. Most of Sup Forums is just consuming and talking about what you consumed.

Animation has to be like half of /ic/ before it gets its own board and /ic/ is slow as shit if we're being honest G.

>I just don't think many people talk about animation outside of the few /ic/ threads and /3/.
thats literally because all of the other boards are too fast for an animation thread to survive. I've tried multiple times having a nice thread about animation on Sup Forums and Sup Forums, but there are just too many people posting in other threads for it to get noticed.

well then build it up on /ic/ and /3/ until it's half the board. Go to the Work on your Art threads and get people informed by crosslinking to you animations.

I want to help but a few threads on super slow boards isnt enough proof for a another new board. Go wild and make threads that YOU want to talk about there and post your own shit. Build it and maybe they'll come and then it will actually get built for real.

Most of the threads would just be the principles of animation, "which school should I go to", "how do I learn to animate", "which program do I use" and crap. I'd rather focus on one which actually talked about animation and art, and also, saw the principles of animation as tools and not as prescriptive rules which must be followed.

Yes, but i'd prefer if Comics and Cartoons split up.

As someone who has been on Sup Forums for a long time, since 2014, take it from me that your best bet is r/animation or another subreddit

Why?

If Sup Forums has not managed to get a manga board, we are not going to have Sup Forums split.

Would a 'Comic & Cartoon Generals' board cause Sup Forums to die?

Seems pointless with /i/ and /ic/ around, Sup Forums isn't fast enough to just bury a potential animation thread so the existence of a general is possible

i think the better question would be "where i can find some serious art/animation communities?" because the way Sup Forums is structure it actively encourages shitposting and bait threads ,they get more replies and stay longer if you dont have some serious moods

No but it would be dead as fuck and people would just make pseudo general threads here anyways (unless your idea involves witch hunting fotms which is just dumb), the hiatus rule and the existence of /trash/ already help with trimming on generals

That would just be an unoffical split since most generals are cartoon related. Plus what do you think would be left after that? Waifu threads, Sup Forums political threads, fetish and cheesecake threads with some comic and cartoon news.

Most Sup Forumstards can't draw to save their lives, and you expect them to make animations?

Bump

>As someone who has been on Sup Forums for a long time, since 2014
OP here, I've been on this stupid website since 2006 and I've been waiting for an animation board this whole fucking time, I don't know why this hasn't happened yet, it seems so obvious to me

If /po/ exists then there should be an animation board.

don't forget /3/
they created that board with no demand, and its slow as fuck, but it still has loyal users that no doubt really love the fact that it exists now.
There are nearly a dozen boards on Sup Forums related to animation in some form, and yet there is no place for animators to talk to each other. I really can't understand why it hasn't at least been tried.
If they made the board and it failed, then whatever, but I'm really confused as to why they haven't at least made a trial board for it before.

This

this is only really a problem on faster boards, you don't get much shitposting or bait on boards like /ic/ or /3/, which is what /ani/ would end up being like. It might see some shitposting for a month or two, but it would die down quick

Because comic books are boring and uninteresting to me. /vr/ proves you can have a slower, more specialized board that generates good discussion.

My dream updates:
>Sup Forums - Anime
>/m/ - Manga
>/ar/ - Retro anime/manga (replaces mecha)
>/film/ - film
>Sup Forums - TV
>/celeb/ - Celebrity (require all actor/actress/e-celeb/whatever to go here, ban everywhere else)
>Sup Forums - Comics
>/ca/ - Cartoons

How about you use the filters or just learn how to hide/ignore threads you don't care about? This isn't your board and there is nothing wrong with comics and cartoons sharing room, the board is not fast and there is room for both subjects without a problem, splitting would just end with two dead boards that would end up with hybrid threads anyways

I been trying to find a 7 framed walking cycle to use as a template for 2 weeks and still can't find any except thus stupid ass furry bullshit

I do, but it's boring to wade.
Less space means less individual conversations per topic.

/vr/ and /m/ are great and they are specific.

I disagree that there is enough space, most cartoon threads are taken by current shows.

Because modern cartoons generate more discussion (or whatever the fuck waifufags consider discussion), fast boards getting split makes sense because the boards are so fast threads get buried in seconds but this isn't the case with Sup Forums, you can have threads about either subject and it sticks around for enough time to generate discussion (otherwise people probably don't care about it), sharing room also allows people from both sides to interact and get into different things (cartoonfags getting into comics and vice versa) which generates more discussion and original content, splitting the board would just end with two very slow boards with their own respective regulars, and while slow boards can be comfy they are better for the occasional visit which is definitively not what the average Sup Forums user would be into

These better not be dead animals.

That'd be nice

Nah

maybe. ..

So you think there's enough content to talk about people working out but not animation...?

>where i can find some serious art/animation communities?
r/animation or Tumblr blogs dedicated to animation. Or you would have to find Discord groups dedicated to art/animation.

As for specifics on the latter, dunno. But Discord is usually the way to go. You'd have to snoop around and search them up to find the good ones.

Bump

>Cartoons generate very little discussion here. Most cartoon threads here get barely any replies
Fucking this, I've long since given up on talking about animation and older cartoons on Sup Forums.
The threads get maybe 20 replies before 404ing

>r/animation or Tumblr blogs
>Discord groups
What if you've tried all of these and they were all really lame?

Then you probably aren't looking for an art community so much as one really good friend whom you can talk to everyday and do art trades with.

>so much as one really good friend whom you can talk to everyday and do art trades with.
I have that, I just want to be able to talk to a bunch of artists that don't do this all the time UwU and actually know about more than entry level shit

what the hell is entry level and what's past that?

As much as I would love a board dedicated to animation alone, specifically 2D/Traditional animation (whichever you prefer to call it) I just don't see it working probably because of how slow the traffic will be.

Discord and Tumblr are absolutely terrible places to have any actual interaction and will always be filled with the exact type of people you've already had the displeasure of meeting.

A lot of time the people who are actively working towards being animators are all congregated on twitter, many of them already being friends with one another. The best way to meet other folks who want to go into animation is to outright contact people who are posting their animations online, but getting into their group is typically harder. If it's who you want to be with though, that's your best bet of getting into that community.

It's true. There's no actual interest in unpopular cartoons or animation at all. The threads that tend to last are usually about very specific things. I don't think there's a website or board out there that very specifically focuses on the nature of the industry past what's airing now. And if there is, I'm sure it's pretty dead.

>what the hell is entry level
the shit that everyone and their mom knows about already
The nice thing about Sup Forums is that, especially with slower boards, the people that lurk tend to be enthusiasts and its not hard to discover new things by talking to people. Its also more fun to share the weird obscure shit you love because people here are likely to actually be interested and check it out, while the average person will just ignore it.

I don't think anyone's asked. I'd make it my home board though, I love the animation threads on /ic/ and I'm branching out from Flash to Maya.

Maybe it can replace /f/ when flash player is deprecated.

Sup Forums and /ic/ is the closest I can get to talking about animation on this website. A board dedicated to animation itself would be awesome.

I mean there's a lot of cartoons that I like, but I know little in what qualifies as good animation or what's good artsyle, only when it looks stiff or unfitting (like not facial expressions not matching to the intended emotion.) And it's ironic considering my parents were animators and my sister draws as a hobby. I mainly prefer the writing aspects of it, although I guess browsing there to get a better idea of the principles wouldn't hurt so then the animation course I toke in high school wouldn't go to waste.

You are not going to get any better discussion on fucking Sup Forums. The board would either be dead or filled with retards and shitposting who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

It's like whenever someone has a "post good animation thread" and then the thread devolves into people saying "you think THAT looks good? There's no sense of weight and the choreography's bad" I'm beginning to think good animation is a myth

You know that the half of this cicle is missing do you?

i don't need this
i don't need this
I NEED THIS
why do you have to make me feel

Theres a lot of Animation on /gd/ for some reason

We do have an oekaki board /i/ and it seems quite diverse. Its a drawing board by (japanese) definition. I think /i/ would be improved with a neighbouring animation board, or even joined together because it is a suitable board to brainstorm key frames that are used in animation.

/ic/ is your best bet and even then the animation generals aren't really populated, imagine a whole board.
It'd be like /po/

They're VERY well trained.

Sounds slow ass hell, and they'd be even meaner than /ic/.
No thanks.

/ani/ would probably work as an ongoing General, but it wouldn't work as it's own board.

Taxidermists are generally weird people. It's strange enough that you want your job to be "stuff dead things" and it's a slippery slope before you see that you have a bunch of dead hamsters and a tiny pack of cards just lying around before you starting thinking "But what if they were playing poker?"

/ic/ is legitimately a better place to discuss animation than Sup Forums.

Yah, I need this, I need especially a thread for talking about animation tools, ToomBoom, After Effects, Maya, etc.
But please no weebs allowed, they are cancerous as fuck regardless of language and place.

It would be good until the idiots from the other boards visited.