Daredevil

greetings from /tg/

I am playing a TTRPG using a character inspired by Daredevil comics/tv-shows

as research, what are the top 10 daredevil comic/stories you can think of?

I have seen the Netflix show and have been told I should absolutely forget the movie exists.

any other tidbits or lore you think might be cool or might help me play an informed character?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

read Frank Miller's Daredevil run

I'll look into that.

People say Bendis' run of DD is pretty good, haven't read it myself tho.

definately a good one. It takes what Miller was playing with in Born Again and cashes in with it in a big way that impacts Matt's life and everyone around him severely. Also check out some Ann Nocenti and for a lighter side to ol horn head look out for Mark Waids run. Has a great start that looses steam at mid point imo.

It's fine so long as you drop the book when he moves to San Francisco.

People like to shit on Chichester's run (with some justification, I'll admit), but he was always very conscious of Matt's powers.

Black and white radar sense is better than the weird magenta one.

It's shit.

I wouldn't go that far. However, it is overly talky and very impressed with itself. It just gets held up as some kind of gold standard because it's baby's first Daredevil for lots of people.

Bendis still does all the things he's hated for in DD. The caveat to that is that it works better because it's street level and not extremely high stakes for the world at large. Also, he was still actually trying to come up with interesting plots back then. His writing reads the same, regardless, but he didn't reach the post-Dark Reign levels of bullshit yet.
Long story short, his DD run is self-important and irritating in how it reads at times, but not inherently bad as far as actual plot goes. It's something worth reading once, at least.

Start with Miller's The Man Without Fear

Good origin story.

>Nocenti

My favorite run. Despite being a crazy 80's time capsule (or maybe because of that).

Also, Mary is best villain and waifu.

I enjoyed Kevin Smith's DD story.

so this is character research now.

1.) has daredevil ever directly, and intentionally, killed anyone.
(closest I've seen was Nobu in the show and he didn't stay dead.)

2.) his martial art is escrima right?

3.) are there any people he regularly encounters that wear a predominantly green suit?

4.) aside from the batons are there any other weapons he typically uses?

Matt's probably got the strongest no-kill rule in Marvel. It's part of his whole dichotomy thing. Dedicated defense attorney who's a vigilante, devout Catholic who dresses like a devil, hyper-violent guy who refuses to kill.

He's more of a ninja than anything else.

Mister Hyde comes to mind.

He doesn't really use a weapon besides his club (which also doubles as a grappling hook thing).

>the batons

People typically call it a billy club, but it's like the swiss army knife of comic book weapons.

This thing is ridiculous. It isn't typically depicted with the crooked handle anymore though.

he may be the best written character in Marvel. Tons of solid runs with nearly no flops. You could pick up nearly anything and it will be decent to great. I wouldn't start with the current run though, just heard some stupid things about him being an athiest and it sounds stupid

If you like Daredevil, Moon Knight may something for you. I would advise to begin with Ellis run.

What a neat page.

It's proof that you can use traditional paneling and still make it visually interesting.

>It's fine so long as you drop the book when he moves to San Francisco.

San Francisco part was pretty solid too. A step down from the initial run but still decent.

>Waid (stop reading after the Ikari arc)
>Daredevil: Yellow
There's also some kinda esoteric stuff in his early days where he fights Namor and helps the Fantastic Four out

Second this. It has a special place in my heart for being my first ever trade

also Season 1 of the Netflix show is loosely based on it

Silver Age DD is hella fun.
I love reading it due to the sheer ridiculousness of certain things that happen. Like, a blind man having an electronics lab in his house to build micro-police scanners into his cowl, using the horns as antennae. And Namor never seeing a turnstile door before. And, the Ox. Oh, the Ox. That one issue with the Ox was phenomenal. And the Mike Murdock Saga. Shit, OP... Just read all of Daredevil Vol. 1 until Chichester comes in. Then go to whatever newer DD from there.

by the by, does anyone know where to acquire any good scans/digital copies of some of the runs?

>weapon
what about other things?
does he ever use any other gear/equipment?

>but it's like the swiss army knife of comic book weapons.
there are a lot of tools in comics like that aren't there?

>It isn't typically depicted with the crooked handle anymore though.
that might be because canes for the blind don't have them anymore either, but the crook might play into the character I'm building

>just heard some stupid things about him being an athiest and it sounds stupid
seeing as my character is for Shadowrun I might need to know about the current run a little so he can sneer in disgust at "histories mistake(s)

who's doing the art and story for the recent one?

>he may be the best written character in Marvel.
really?
and he isn't even as well publicized as other MARVEL heroes

I only know moon knight from a quest series on /tg/

I really did like the Netflix show.
does it portray the character particularly well?

is there a mega-dump or share-thread someplace?
cause I think I have some reading to do...

you should be able to find a torrent of a few of them, will be able to find one of Miller's run for sure. I just use google for comics a lot of the time

This is bait

It somehow helped the series at the time, but it's a piece of shit story.

oh?

is GetComics a reasonably safe site?

no, not that one

so noted

I figure its a known thing for most of you

what opens a .cbz or .cbr file?

and by that I mean "whats a good free comic-reader"

I see a lot od anons recommending runs, but I don't know what kind of time we're looking at before your game

Here's some essential arcs: Man Without Fear, Born Again, Fall of the Kingpin, Guardian Devil, Kingpin of Hells Kitchen, whatever the name of the Mark Waid arc is with the assassin with the same abilities

Comic Rack is pretty good
comicrack.cyolito.com/downloads

It's a piece of shit story that's written by a catholic who is clearly a closet atheist. I kinda dig the themes it tried to go into, but it also exaggerated the hell out Matt's Catholicism. Miller made Murdock catholic because it worked for that one story he wanted to do, not just because, Matt never was that religious of a man in the first place, so the whole fucking crux of the story, which is something like "man without hope is a man without fear, but man without faith is fucking dead mang" (loose quotation) just doesn't work on Matt, he's been far worse than dilemma we are presented in fucking Born Again itself. So, later, when Kevin Smith realized his fucking story doesn't fucking work he fucking makes Matt point ALL of the flaws of his own fucking story and we are supposed to like take it "I was just pretending to be retarded, bro :^)". Seriously, I am not kidding, last pages of issue 7 is Matt criticizing entire story.

This whole story is kind of fucking meta, because I viewed it exactly like what Mysterio has accomplished. It tried to be like biggest most important story ever (like Mysterio tried to become DD's arch-nemesis), but fucking flopped spectacularly on every level and killed itself. It would've been good if it didn't feel like Kevin Smith just realized at the eleventh hour that he wrote a literal shit and decided to prank readers.

so I found torrents that list them by issue number but not my title.

which are those?

any Moon Knight stories featuring Daredevil?(or vice versa?)

In order:

Not gonna justify that with an answer, Daredevil (Vol. 1) ##227-233, Daredevil (Vol. 1) #297-300, Daredevil (vol. 2) #1-#8, Daredevil (vol. 2) #56-60, I dunno but it's somewhere in Daredevil (vol. 3) 1-12
Also insert Daredevil:Yellow before or after vol 3 and you've more or less got a quick and dirty narrative thru line you can follow for the character

thanks mang

People will tell you different but I think Waid did a great Daredevil run, probably his last really great work with Marvel.

The key is realizing that Matt thinks he's coping better by throwing a smile back on like the early days and everyone else realizing he is not.

No prob

Keep in mind there's tons more good stuff out there, most of which has been stated in this topic, but those are stories meant to give you more or less an arc for the character so you get a general idea of where he's gone thru the years

I tried to stick with stuff that featured his usual supporting cast and the changes they endured as well, but there's probably gonna be a random girlfriend or something at some point

>but there's probably gonna be a random girlfriend or something at some point
I can believe matt murdock is a human being subject to desires and dating...

>does he ever use any other gear/equipment

He used to have a police scanner in his horns. Nobody's brought that up in ages though. Matt's pretty stripped down. He's got his powers, his skills, and his club.

>he isn't even as well publicized as other MARVEL heroes

Matt's in a great b-list sweet spot. He's a cult favorite who always attracts artists and writers who are passionate about him, but he's never gotten popular enough to get fucked around with by editors with agendas, marketing suits, and endless crossovers.

>moon knight

Now there's a guy who'd make a good runner.

>does it portray the character particularly well?

There are things about the show that I don't like, but I think Charlie Cox really nails Matt.

Since this is for Shadowrun you might be interested in Daredevil dealing with the actual devil during the Inferno crossover. I think it's issues #263 and #265. It's definitely the two-sixties and I know the issue between is filler.

#270 is DD and Spider-Man fighting Blackheart in his first appearance.

Nocenti's run was pretty nuts.

>3.) are there any people he regularly encounters that wear a predominantly green suit?

The Owl usually wears green

>There are things about the show that I don't like
bearing in mind that I am asking your opinion and in no way trying to pick a fight.

what things are those?

>Charlie Cox
his portrayal is what lead me to recommend the show to my mother who normally HATES people-on-people violence. she loves the hell out of it BECAUSE of that.

>moon knight
yeah, but isn't he really kill-heavy?
I'm not playing a pacifist or even a non-killer, but he tries to NOT kill wherever possible.
that, and I doubt either Moon Knight or DareDevil work day jobs as chefs at reasonably nice Italian restaurants

>Matt's pretty stripped down.
yeah. I replicated his powers with 'ware and that was EXPENSIVE AS FUCK and really bit into my rigger money.
but even then a starting runner would qualify as a street-level hero in most universes...

this is actually useful.
one of the party members is a "free spirit" modeled after The Devil, reasonably well connected cult and all.
that sounds like it'll make good call-back and reference jokes.
my guy may not "have the devil in him" but thats because Old Scratch is watching his back with a taser and a fist-full of magic.

I couldn't find a volume 3 as of yet

neat.
>googling...

Volume 3 is 2011-2014

About the Owl, this is pretty much him. If I remember, he's a crime boss, like Kingpin lite.

>what things are those?

Mostly stuff that doesn't have much to do with Matt himself. Karen, Foggy, Elektra stuff. Stick was great.

>isn't he really kill-heavy?

Not really? Marc's complicate. He was a soldier and a mercenary before he ended up with an Egyptian revenge god in his head. So he's never really been squeamish about killing, but he's also never been the sort to off guys left and right. He really only gets deadly at his most unstable. Daredevil would do just about anything to avoid killing someone, Moon Knight will do it if he's got to.

Well, Leland's got a few distinct characteristics.

Fisk crawled his way up from the bottom and acquired a veneer of social polish. Leland here started out at the top and degraded into a monstrous crimeboss mostly for fun.

And he eats rats.

I think it's great too, but he wrote himself into a corner and fucking rushed through volume 4 like it was nothing. Volume 4 shouldn't have even been the thing, only good parts about it are beginning and end.

My favorite part is how Waid would often put Matt through moments vividly similar to what he has already been through and always bounce back from, always find a way to not curl up into a ball without friends and job (again).

Like, just, for example how Jack's grave was desecrated and Matt never managed to find the bones of his dad and a fucking day later Foggy finds them in Matt's desk. If it was Miller era Matt, if it was Bendis era, Brubaker era, after Foggy said "Nelson and Murdock are over" and practically put a neon sign for all demons that says OPEN it would've lead to Born Again or Shadowland again. Instead he got his shit together and got himself vindicated. Some might say that it's a waste of time with no consequences, but when you view Waid's run through lens of Matt Murdock's life, lack of consequences IS development for Murdock.

Always gotta remember that Waid's two favorite characters are Captain America and Daredevil.

>Stick was great.
they cast a really good guy as stick...
natural assholes of that magnitude are as much treasures as honestly pious religious people.

>Daredevil would do just about anything to avoid killing someone, Moon Knight will do it if he's got to.
so I made a Moon-Knight that was inspired by Daredevil...whose really good friends with demon called Old Scratch...and is a damn fine italian chef and possessed of so much rudeness that it actually hurts people standing close to him.

interesting...this should be fun...

If you're interested I can storytime Guardian Devil tomorrow. I think it's a pretty good crisis of faith for Matt.

In the man without fear he kills a woman/stripper on accident by knocking her out of a window

And it shows. Waid's run was very much a love letter to the entirety of DD. He had the goofy and fun Silver Age attitude with a lot of the grim and darker elements from Miller and beyond as an undercurrent. I guess it could be taken as "What if Stan Lee's Daredevil had Frank Miller's Daredevil's life and problems?": The Run.