Why do they reward Rick and Beth's flaws but exaggerate and punish Jerry's

Other urls found in this thread:

adultswim.com/videos/streams/ricking-morty/ricking-morty-the-ricklantis-mixup-episode-307
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Remember how when Alan Moore was writing Rorschach he tried to make him an irredeemable, psychotic piece of shit so that the audience would hate him, but in doing so created the best character in the book? Same concept applies here. The writers /want/ us to hate Rick, but since Rick and Beth are written as Marry Sues, Jerry automatically becomes the most likable character since he actually comes across as human and not some meta plot armor god.

Because women and Dan Hartman can't right for shit.

>The writers /want/ us to hate Jerry***

Because Rick and Beth succeed at things.
As much as people might root for the underdog, it's much simpler just to support the winners and reap the rewards.

>The female writers and Dan /want/ us to hate Jerry***
ftfy

Jerry was OOC this episode.

I don't get how you guys are saying they're shitting on Jerry when they've essentially confirmed Beth is legitimately a sociopath, and is willing to kill people that annoy her.
Jerry is a fuck up and a pathetic human being, but he means well. Beth is just straight up not good.

>ywn have access to an intergalactic dating website
>ywn hook up with a 3 titted 2 pussied huntress
>ywn contract telekinesis from banging her

Life is suffering

Because he's a white male

This is correct but most people have been hating Jerry from the get-go because people always hate the everyman character who wants to stop all the fun adventures, shitting on Jerry might've been amusing in the first season but now it's starting to become Meg-tier cruel and annoying. He's lost everything, his kids hate him, he's had his entire personality dissected and there's no logical move for him to fix said personality issues. There was Morty's speech when he was fighting in the thunderdome about how he'd like Jerry to man up, and the only logical way of doing that would mean telling Rick to fuck off but oh, wait, he can't do that because the family loves Rick more than him. So how the fuck can he 'be a man'? There's no logical way for Jerry to redeem himself, so he keeps getting shat on and then the audience gains empathy for him and boom, most liked character.

He was a whiny little bitch, that's pretty spot-on. . .

Best girl is still Unity but Kiara was pretty high up there on the waifu list.
>ywn live your life in blissful orgiastic sex with the hivemind joined population of an alien planet
>ywn help spawn a galaxy spanning race unified by a collective consciousness that brings peace to the cosmos

Kek
You've been in here too long if you think anyone likes Jerry.

>Dog stealing his money and Jerry can't do shit to avoid it.
>Wind whispering "loser" to him
The writers and Hamon simply dont want Jerry to succeed because they want you to notice how pathetic he is and want you to hate him for that.
They dont want you to hate Beth and Rick because they are both sociopaths and want you to see how mainstream and appealing will be his incestuous relationship

Not him, but I've been looking at other places online and the only website that still hates Jerry at this point is Reddit. Rorschach effect.

I'm starting to see why tripfags are annoying.

>Starting
>Literally just "look at me! My opinions are better than yours! I have a name so you can identify me in a thread because I'm that fucking important"
They defeat the entire point of this website. The only trip fag I find himself enjoying is Boco-............. I mean. FUCK BOCO.

Atleast you wont be killed over something as trivial as she was.

rick and beth solve their problems with violence and planning ahead. jerry solves his problems by being a worthless faggot and hoping someone else will. for some reason one of these approaches is more likable than the other.

Because everyone hates beta males on a primal level. Men don't respect them because they feel personally threatened that their weakness is contagious and women despise them because they don't want to fuck them and only tolerate them if they're funny and/or financially successful.

Therefore, in the eyes of the average man or woman, a beta male idiot is more detestable than two literal sociopaths.

No, Rick solves his problems by getting drunk, having plot armor fix everything for him, then having everyone praise him for doing literally nothing. Beth never solves any of her problems, it's always either Rick or (ironically) Jerry who have to come to her rescue.

Until the alpha turns out to be a prick which makes the woman (almost always battered and broken mentally and/or physically) crawl back.

you must have missed so much of this show

>crawl back.
They find a new alpha.

Women never learn do they?

Literally only missed the most recent episode. Every other episode follows that formula. Beth is a useless cunt who can't do anything on her own, which is /always/ when either Rick shows up and shoots someone with minimal effort, or Jerry goes full ape mode only to get shit on after it.

remember when that study was debunked? on wolves, before you even started the meme of applying it to people?

Friendly reminder that Jerry did absolutely nothing wrong

What do wolves have to do with people? Do the study on apes and you'll see the same rules apply.

Women aren't genetically predisposed to learning from their mistakes. The human race would be in a bad place if women were able to make intelligent and prudent decisions about their partners based on anything other than acquiring the best genetic material they can.

He should have waited it out and then ask rick to help him get out of this relationship. He correctly deduced that him leaving the relationship in any way would lead to Kiara nigging out

Rick is a monster.
Beth is a monster.
Jerry is a monster.

People only focus on Jerry because they sympathize with him or identify with him. Stop. None of these characters are real people in any sense of the word and none should be viewed as anything more than an entertaining story

Get a load of this guy, folks.

>Jerry is a monster.
Jerry is just kind of a pathetic, cowardly stooge. I think what annoys me most is how people keep trying to lump him in with the likes of Rick, Beth, Morty and Summer who display true-to-life sociopathic behaviour and have actively killed people.

Morty can only save everyone by becoming a monster too and killing them all.

You fucks know nothing about Alan Moore or Rorschach OR his place in the story. The point is that he is sympathetic, but is pathetic and has an obviously wrong view of the world. You are not supposed to hate him.

>Jerry is a monster.
He's literally the only character in the show with a shred of empathy.

if jerry was a monster he'd be cool

He wasnt the only one.
Both Morty and Summer were tearing into him every chance they got

Alan Moore has been pretty clear in interviews that he hates Rorschach. The entire point of the character was so Moore could point at him and go "Lol, conservatives, amirite?" He legitimately says that people missed the point when they like or relate with the character.

Jesus Christ. I feel bad for you, friend.

>Sup Forums sides with the weak willed, self absorbed, self-hating insecure last man who can only find validation from outside sources
Jerry is a huge fucking cunt, if it looks like he cares about people he only does it because his sense of worth comes from this weird fiction of himself where he's the cool wise dad, except he's neither cool nor wise.

Wow, look at this faggot here

The writers have no idea what to do with Jerry.

Even the episode that gave him a semblance of growth made the claim that if you feel bad for him you're falling for some kind of trap.

Jerry did nothing wrong!

Anything that Jerry does wrong is the writer's fault!

he is not flawed in the right way
sasuke syndrome, its when two characters are retards but one is shown in a positive light and the other one is shat on for no reason

Jerry does plenty wrong, the problem is he's not allowed to grow from it because that would ruin the joke.

It's also nice to have a character that has flaws that are actual flaws and not "I'M TOO INTELLIGENT WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB"

What Alan Moore hates is that so many fans of Watchmen took Rorschach at face value. Had Moore not intended for the character to be in any way sympathetic or endearing, he wouldn't have spent so much time delving in to his tragic upbringing and going some way to justifying his radicalism. The issue is that Moore also intended for the character to be analysed and deconstructed. He wanted people to see Rorschach as a flawed and ultimately unstable person who follows the right path for the wrong reasons -- a damaged product of an uncaring world that eats up thousands of young, bright souls and churns out jaded absolutists. He wanted you to be interested in Rorschach but also to understand the social and political commentary inherent to the character's methods and convictions.

What he didn't want was for a bunch of autistic neckbeards to genuinely identify with his undeveloped belief system and perceive him as being 100% in the right in everything he does.

I don't think anyone loves him but I never truly understood the hate for him either, people started hating him because he wanted to stop Rick from taking Morty on adventures which was completely justified. People say he's spineless and pathetic, well, what the fuck can he do to prove that he's not? He's stood up to Rick on multiple occasions just to get shat on by everyone and in the episode where him and Beth went to couple's therapy, he rose to the occasion and fought those monster versions of themselves. Their marriage is on the rocks in one episode and then they're madly in love with each other and have seemingly resolved their shit in the next. It hardly makes any sense. He's a fucking normal surburban dad, he's not gonna fucking turn into Cronenberg-verse Jerry or some shit for no reason, I don't think people like him but I think they'll start because he's one of the most human characters on the show and the childish hatred of him will probably pass soon enough and the catalyst for that will be him constantly getting treated like shit for no good reason. Or it won't and he'll be another Mabel-tier character who generates extreme tard rage for simply being realistic.

>because that would ruin the joke.

Yeah, it's a cartoon

> Am I evil?
> Worse. You're smart. When you know nothing matters the universe is yours.

Holy shit, they really believe this "too smart to be happy" nihilistic bullshit, fanbase deserve this shit.

>Anything that Jerry does wrong is the writer's fault!
I know you're trying and failing to be cleverly facetious, but this is legitimately the truth for all characters ever.

how did the thread go beyond this post.

/thread

It's more like
>Sup Forums is sick of Meg-tier characters whose only purpose is to be shit on, characters who you're "supposed to dislike".
Seriously, it's never executed well, wears thin very quickly, and offers no interesting character development. The fact that Jerry is constantly forced into scenarios where he's the bad guy, despite being shown to have grown after the Whirly Dirly, is aggravating.

>Yeah, it's a cartoon

>The writers have no idea what to do with Jerry.
they actually admit to this on the creator panels that air on Adult Swim streams. Not that any of the so-called "fans" here have ever watched them to get some fucking insight.

Behold! The Keeper at the Gate.

Guide us, wise-one.

r/gatekeeping

Post it? I'm interested to hear their insight.

Point is, Jerry used to be stupid, wormy and egocentrical, and it was fun to hate him. He even got a bit of *natural* character development.

Now he's just being written as a dude, who has committed the crime of being needy, even though Rick and Beth are just as attention seeking as him.
Rick and Morty stopped being fun when it went from the adventures of a nihlist to nihilist propaganda.

Kill yourself namefaggot

They hate him because they're told to hate him. What you'll find is that most people are pretty suggestible and weak-willed. They will go along with whatever they are told is the right thing to go along with. Many of our modern day SJWs who espouse virtues of equality and tolerance would have been just as happy owning slaves a hundred years ago. A significant portion of these anti-fascist protestors who stand against the supposedly inexorable tide of hatred in America would have been just as likely to comfortably live in Nazi Germany.

If the show made Jerry look more sympathetic while vilifying Rick, then people would hate the latter and support the former. There have been plenty of shows and films with characters like Jerry being portrayed in a more sympathetic light and people have unilaterally empathised with those characters.

Long story short, people are sheep. They don't want to form opinions, they just want you to tell them what their opinions are so they never have to question anything.

I posted this in another thread, but;

I'm pretty sure that line was supposed to be badly received/cringeworthy. Pickle Rick showcased how unhealthy both Beth and Rick are and how unhealthy their relationship is and the scene after the therapist's monologue showed how utterly unwilling they are to change that. This episode further cemented how unwilling they are to change that and how shitty Rick is for not trying to get Beth to do some introspection and improve herself and instead just praises her and excuses it because "she's smart"... and Rick fucking never calls anyone smart.

And it'll probably be their undoing; their unwillingness to change anything, same for the shit with Jerry.

You know, "some people are okay going to work and some people would rather die. Each of us gets to choose."

Hating Jerry is literally a reddit tier opinion

Imagine thinking that Jerry is as bad as the people who have ruined civilizations and murdered countless people because he is afraid when aliens attack him

>Sup Forums identifies with Jerry.

Jerry needs to man up, delete Facebook and hit the gym

>the writers are just pretending to be retarded!

>I'm pretty sure that line was supposed to be badly received/cringeworthy
You may be giving the show a bit too much credit. Given its nihilistic tone and the way it's alligned itself with its pseudo-intellectual fanbase to the point of taking some of them on as writers, it's not entirely unreasonable to believe that line was being played entirely straight.

adultswim.com/videos/streams/ricking-morty/ricking-morty-the-ricklantis-mixup-episode-307

eat dick, I'm not somehow at fault for being aware of how much media outreach the creators are forcing on their otherwise ambiguous writing to "correct the record" on their own politics.

>I-it was supposed to be bad, 4d chess you guys, haha
I'll believe it when I see it
But the writing in this show has been so bad that I doubt it

A hotwife with her caged cuck hubby and a massive BBC

=3 you're adorable

I'm the user you responded to and yeah I'd have to agree with that; people are sheep and because of semiotics or whatever you'd like to call it, they'll often hate any character they're suggested to hate. I hated Jerry when the show first started because I was probably about 15 or 16 when it started and he was a lame dad archetype trying to stop the adventures and like any teenager, I hated those guys, but now I'm 19 and rewatched the whole series when season 3 started and your reasoning is pretty much the only explanation feasible to me as to why so many grown adults hate Jerry.

The others are toxic but Jerry is parasitic. It's comparing a shark to those little worms that eat a fish's tongue, latch on, and replace it. One might be a bigger killer and bad for that, the other is still more disgusting.

You guys don't watch the show at all. Rick's flaws are constantly pointed out and exaggerated this season. But people got pissy at that psychologist episode when Beth and Rick got called on their shit.

Alright guys, I'm gonna come clean here.
In real life, outside of Sup Forums, I am a loser, an absolute loser. I use this name so people can identify me on here and I get some modicum of attention, negative or positive. I am also very ugly and stupid, this only serves to reinforce my anti-social behavior. My parents think I'm a scum-sucking parasite as I refuse to move out due to pure laziness and self loathing. I would Tripfag but, again, I am too stupid to figure it out. I'm also a horrible newfag, shitting up an already shitty website with my ignorance and egotistical attitude.
I want to end my own life but I am too cowardly and would rather die a nobody corpse and a shit stain on my families legacy.

Then what other reason would there be for staunchly stating that Rick's nihilistic assholish bullshit, which he and Beth excuse because of his intelligence, is destroying his family only a few episodes prior and then having a scene directly afterwards showing that both him and Beth are unwilling to fix that?

I'm genuinely interested, surely there's more to that than just 'bad writing'?

that's what gets me laid with your mom while you're at school my dude

>tfw I expected this season to be Jerry's redemption arc but they just doubled down on the unjustified OOC hate instead and they will keep doing it until not even Sup Forums can defend him
I wonder if they intended Morty and Summer to come off as huge fucking cunts or if they are just that blind.

Because it's obviously a non-answer since the title characters are also white males.

>both Jerry and Beth are awful people! The episode made sure to show that!
Meanwhile both Morty and Summer love Beth and treat Jerry like shit. Beth is just "smart" but Jerry is a racist and sexist beta male.

The ENTIRE point of Jerry's character is that he's toxic and flawed and completely terrible himself, but he's also an idiot. Because these things are not the result of being intelligent, Rick isn't depressed because of how smart he is or because his intelligence weighs him down. He's depressed because he refuses to open up honestly with himself or others and fears actually connect with anyone on an emotional level.

Having an intelligent character with that exact flaw is a pretty common trope. You often get idiots identifying with these characters because they don't get that they're terrible flawed people and not meant to be identified with.

They even do this trope in Bojack Horseman. He hates himself, is depressed, always seems to do wrong, but all as a result of his fear of actually connecting with anyone on an emotional level.

They spell this out in every show it's done in and you still get reddit idiots on one side identifying with terrible characters who are supposed to be terrible, and idiots here who think the flawed character is supposed to be relatable but still realize he's flawed and can't possibly imagine that it might be on purpose because that would be "giving writers too much credit" for a really simple and overused character concept.

I see what you did there.

If you don't hate Jerry for selling out his kids (almost getting them killed in the process) and projecting his issues with his wife onto them because he can't deal with his own problems, I don't know what to tell you. The guy's a real piece of shit. It sucks they're going back on the perceived development in Whirly Dirly, but I guess it'd be hard to really do anything else with the character

>Morty and Summer treat Jerry like shit.

Did you watch the episode? They were helping him, whereas he turned around and almost got them killed with his incompetence and racism.

If you knew my mom you'd know how gross that must be for you

Helped? No.

>racist and sexist
yeah just throw those out there to fit your narrative that this is some kind of feminist thing.

Summer and Morty have no respect for their dad because he's a fumbling incompetent idiot, but they don't hate him. It has been shown time and again that their respect for their mom is only razor thin and mostly because she's just not nearly as pathetic as Jerry. Beth is an alcoholic and that has been a problem for all of them.

Helped? Yes. Obviously Jerry didn't understand that they were trying to help him because he was too stupid and pathetic. I guess that applies to you too.

Because whenever Beth does something wrong she's rewarded for it. When Jerry does something wrong he is continuously berated for it and told he is wrong.

The writing could not be more blunt about its intentions.

Reddit sees this show and fails to realize that Rick is terrible and that it's on purpose so they identify with a terrible toxic self-destructive person because he's so cool and smart.

Meanwhile over here we have idiots who fully realize that Rick is terrible, but for some bizzare reason cannot even consider that it might be on purpose, when his flaws are so clearly spelled out as being flaws, and so they identify and defend Jerry thinking the show is pseudo-intellectual bullshit. It makes sense they would think that if they identify with Jerry, because that's such a fucking stupid thing to assume.

A really simple and not all that deep show about flawed people is too deep for fedora edgelords to get so they identify with an abusive and self-destructive drunk afraid of opening up and being honest emotionally. Surprise.

A really simple and easy to follow mainstream show seems to be too intellectual for people who identify with a parasitic brainless spineless idiot. Shocking.

I like how SJWism went full circle and now liking people from other races is seen as racist too, it's actually the kind of argument Sup Forums makes but the difference is that it only applies to white males.

Beth. Hated a guy enough to trap him in a place he can't escape. Try to save the guy just to prove her dad is wrong. Kills him because she can't say sorry. Realize that she's actually evil. B-but actually she's just smart.

Jerry. Actually doing something for himself. Hahahaha. Nope. He's just trying to make Beth jealous. He's actually lying racist beta male.

Morty and Summer. Actually now hate their own dad. Never wanted to be with him anyway.

if that's your takeaway from this episode then it's no wonder you identify with Jerry.

I just wanted to point out that this is the most pathetic attempt at a comeback in this particular thread.

Thank you all for your time.

It's what happened, though.

In this scenario, the dumbest people are those who identifie with Rick.

That's what actually happened in the episode.

That doesn't make the idiots identifying with Jerry any smarter. Congrats to OP and others, you're only half retarded compared to reddit!