"dying? Now that would be at least something!"

>"dying? Now that would be at least something!"
Why was he so depressed, bros? No gf?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-XWneSKi2g
swordofelysium.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/idealism-and-freedom/
youtube.com/watch?v=5sEZmMeH96Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Being in a Swamp of Sadness really fucks you up. Plus I'd be mad too if some little faggot came and woke me

He sees life for what it really is

I watched The Neverending Story when I was like 4.

That movie absolutely fucked my shit up. They don't make creepy weird shit for kids like they used to.

he's already super old so even if he dies who cares

He was deep asleep when a whiny brat woke him up with stupid questions about trivial things

This, it's all so corporate and sanitized now

>"If you come any close, I will rip you to shreds"
That fucking jumpscare

>be so old that you remember the last time Fantasia was reborn
>live through multiple reincarnations of said rebirth
>all your friends died long ago
>all your species died long ago
Being immortal is shit user.
No one in Fantasia is as old as Morla and only the turtle remembers that the story itself is a repeat. So no matter how many times the story is read, it always ends up being the same thing for an endless amount of time.
Only after the current reader completes the story does the story change and the next reader continues it.
So imagine waking up every day and doing 100% the same thing you did the day before.

I put sole blame on this movie for kicking off my trap fetish.

>Disney used to tell stories about kids weeping and pissing themselves watching Snow White
They really don't make them like they used to.

>Only after the current reader completes the story does the story change and the next reader continues it.
Huh? Really? Also does it feature anything from Coreander? Did he add the big tit sphinxes into it?

He actually looks like a trap, but I can't remember the name.

It's been years since i've read the book user.
All I remember is halfway through a character picks up a book with the same title and it starts out with the boy picking up the book in the store. You find out the story has been on a loop for an endless millennia.
The kid defies the book and because of this creates a paradox in which he is sucked into Fantasia or whatever the name is. There he goes on many adventures with the little native boy and such.
The end is the boy closing the book as he realizes this isn't his actual life and it's implied one day a new child (or adult) will read it and continue the story.
The nothing is implied to be humans losing their imaginations and dreams as we become more focused on the physical and what is in front of us. Literally destroying the world of imagination.
Morla for some reason does not lose the memories of each of these events. So has effectively lived an eternity of looping. Which is why it is insane.
Just in a sad depressing swamp for a billion years with no one to talk to.

Oh, so it's explained in the book.

>he is sucked into Fantasia or whatever the name is. There he goes on many adventures with the little native boy and such
Well that's not really what happens in the movie. Is this why the author didn't like the movie adaptation?

Well I mean honestly user, I'm about thirty and a lot of movies were this way.
It's really hard to take someone else's entertainment medium and translate it into your own perspective. Let alone translate it into an entirely different medium altogether.
You have budget limitations, time limitations, some effects just aren't possible.
Another big part is producers have the final say and it takes a director with big balls to tell a producer no. Stanley Kubrick was notorious for not allowing his vision to be changed for instance.
So a lot of things change to make it more... appealing? to an audience.
Some are hit and miss, but most producers will always take the safer option when it comes to ensuring a product gets finished.

Why are the effects so gooooooood in this. Compare the OP pic to Ready Player One. It breaks my heart in two. We're being denied immersive fantasy kino forever.

The Nothingness was the first real fear I can remember. It wasn't that it was just scary as fuck, it was that it liked being that and young me knew even then that that was some terrifying shit.

Neverending Story was a German production outside Hollywood, and director Wolfgang Peterson had final cut, iirc, either way it's his pure vision. Disney and Hollywood were both, frankly, intimidated by this production and its quixotic, beautiful imagination. Disney is the Nothing, imo. I'd be very curious to learn if today's kids prefer this movie to Disney shit.

I never saw this as a kid, and decided to watch it a few years ago when I was 24.

Ended up crying. What happened to childrens movies actually being good?

Yeah, it was the first time I felt existential dread, not knowing that was a thing, and possibly my first comprehension of death. Contemplating the vastness of that ominous name, I still can tap into that sensation, it made my mind hum, very close to great literature itself. Family films have lost their way.

exactly. I had never heard the words he was saying being said with the vindictive element he said them in. It fucked me up proper and gave me a serious fear of the dark for years. That primal fear we all have of the dark, I understood it when I was like 8, none of my peers got it. That shit messes you up something fierce.

I'm puzzled why this movie isn't more revered in the culture. Don't believe it was ever rereleased in theaters. I know people love it, but the media seems to run cold on extending its legacy.

It was released in theaters.

The 2 sequels were hot garbage that went against the story/theme of the first movie hardcore.

>he
wasnt it a female?

yeah but no one really cares

Practical effects don't lose their luster.

I think its a fantastic movie and it most likely inspired my favourite game Shadow of the Colossus
youtube.com/watch?v=f-XWneSKi2g

I keep seeing this turtle pic and it reminds me of I Claudius

It says
>re-released
I know it was released, it did okay in the US

The sequels weren't German productions, and Wolfgang had no involvement iirc. I didn't mind the second sequel but it's been a long time, with the dead kid from that tv show SeaQuest

Hm, I strictly remember in my native dub it was a male voice, but I guess the English dub could sound like an old lady who smoke a pack every day for 60 years.

Relevant essay about this movie and possible Nazi themes that well educate children
swordofelysium.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/idealism-and-freedom/

No, they don't. Everyone says it, kids like to be scared, even if they parents think they don't. Dark Crystal, Neverending Story, Nihm, good stuff.

>They look like big, good, strong hands. Don't they? I always thought that's what they were. My little friends. The little man with his racing snail, the Nighthob, even the stupid bat. I couldn't hold on to them. The nothing pulled them right out of my hands. I failed.
>Listen, the nothing will be here any minute. I will just sit here and let it take me away too. They look like good, strong hands. Don't they?

Rockbiter kinda looks like prehistoric Wojak

This movie was amazing. I remember watching it a lot as a kid. Too bad the sequel sucked so fucking much and shit all over the memory of the original.

The second one is ok, mostly because Jonathan Brandis was a great actor and carried the movie pretty hard. The third is obviously unforgivable.

Reminder, Wolfgang Peterson just came off doing Das Boot when he made this adaptation.

I haven't seen any of the sequels, but what the fuck were they even thinking?

>Nihm
It's great, the fire is so trippy, but the book is phenomenal. I wouldn't be against a remake if it were hand drawn.

That's why Hollywood Jews dislike it. I'm serious too.

Apparently the movie only covers the beginning of the book
So i want to read the book one day

NES is up there with The Princess Bride as best kids film of all time (FUCK E.T.)

God damn it, user.

Is (((the nothing))) a codeword for liberalism? Think about it.

yes

Replace every instance where they say "the nothing" in the movie with "liberalism" - the story makes so much sense.
>Atreyu, the nothing is destroying our world, you must fight it
vs
>Atreyu, liberalism is destroying our world, you must fight it

I've heard this movie is considered Aryan propaganda in Israel. Your theory makes sense.

The sphynx statue titties were actually some of the very first titties i'd ever seen in my young life.

I would have made the wolf a big nosed jewy looking monster
but that might be to on the nose

get it? on the nose

Kill yourself

The 2nd one was still great faggot.

do not be so mean user, im sure he is a good boi

>boi
You can kill yourself too faggot.

I knew it was just a wolf, but goddamn this thing was nightmare fuel for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=5sEZmMeH96Q

>"People who have no hope are easy to control"

i knew you were going to say that kek

i had forgotten

oh my fuck, this movie

say my name

You're Heisenberg

The supreme genius of directing Das Boot and moving directly to this family fantasy. Does any director top it?