Why was the first season of Bojack Horseman rated so poorly?

Why was the first season of Bojack Horseman rated so poorly?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Lh-7GssaBIM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A lot of critics only watched the first half of the show and then made their review on it. A lot even went back a rereviewed it after hearing that the second half of the season 1 is so good.!

Critics were only sent the first six episodes.

Because the first half is pretty mediocre and the second half only just makes up for it.

The first few epsiodes were garbage, especially when taken out of context

Because the first half was mediocre as hell and was only salvaged after Herb tells Bojack to fuck off.

I've heard some people try to claim that the first half of S1 exists to set up the sort of typical adult cartoon antics that they set out to be in contrast to. I don't remember S1 well enough to say they're wrong.

It's the only logical explanation, and the reason the ending works the way it does.

I suspect they expected it to be another Family Guy, but if it's true that critics only watched the first 6 episodes, I have yet another reason not to respect critics

I honestly don't know why people didn't like the first few episodes. They were at least decent and the less dramatic aspects made sense as it's Bojack getting out of his sedentary life without work after his failure from "The Bojack Horseman Show". The comedy was also fine.

The thing that makes Bojack so great is that every character has to suffer real consequences for everything they do. Naturally the consequences catch them later.

Also you get the wrong idea about the charactera from the beginning. Initially most people view PC as a bitch and Mr. PB as an asshole, but that's mostly because you first only know them through their interactions with Bojack and see them from his perspective. It's only later you learn that PC is a truly good character and so is Mr. PB who actually want the best for everyone around them.

youtu.be/Lh-7GssaBIM

The first few minutes is exactly how I felt about Bojack when I started it.

I think one review site actually changed their policies of only watching and reviewing the first half of a series specifically because of how good Bojack became in the second half of S1 and changed their rating

The first episode was really mediocre and Neal McBeal was an annoying cunt. It's not shit but if you're new to the series you wonder why you're supposed to care about another Family Guy rip off.

It's only later when you find out the characters actually are round and have depth you go back to the first episode and realize that they were actually pretty good because now you care about the characters.

Bojack really showed me how your opinion of the characters can change your opinion on the story story completely and why it's so important to have well written characters even in comedies.

Cause they're generally the weaker episodes, especially when in comparison of the later, superior half. None of them show how the great the show is perfectly until "The Telescope." Although "Our A-Story is a "D" Story" did start showing some light.

I found the first half alright overall, although it does get more interesting in a rewatch when you know what's ahead.

I wish Mr Enter would review other Bojack episodes. Say what you want about him, but he is one of the persons who nailed the show best.

Reminder that Mr PB is best boy

That last episode was kind of shit, mr pb deserves better
the season was really up and down, dumb todd shit everywhere, diana being a cunt, lot of unfunny filler, but what works REALLY fucking works. everything with bojacks mom and sister was perfection

It wasn't interesting until it started getting real, which intentionally parallel's Diane's book.

Shows like Bojack and F is for Family are designed to take advantage of Netflix's release style. They are better in a marathon, and are now reviewed as such.

Everyone was expecting a comedy with portions of drama, but the show ended up being a drama with portions of comedy.

I still think it gets the mix wrong sometimes, or doesn't quite know what it wants to be. A lot of the comedy is subtle, but then you have all this wacky Todd and Mr PB shit jammed in there.

I really loved the under the sea episode from season 4.That kind of departure from the established setting and characters is not the sort of thing you expect to see in a serialized show with a dozen episodes per season, but it worked.

It's also surprisingly classy. Bojack's drivers licence says he weighs 1200 pounds, and the recurring joke is how he'll fuck anything that moves if the mood strikes him, but I can't remember one joke about him having a horse cock and destroying pussies, wh8ich considering that he sometimes fucks an actual cat, is pretty good going on the part of the writers to ignore that particular piece of low hanging fruit.

The closest thing to the obvious horse cock joke is when the Manatee Fair reporter he almost bangs in S3 asks if he's "more horse than man" before they've taken their clothes off

But that's also a metajoke, so at least it's not super lazy.

>A lot of critics only watched the first half
People give film critics a hard time but TV critics are absolute trash.

Would the argument "If it doesn't get good within the first few episodes, why should I even bother" be valid, Sup Forums?

>Vomits cotton candy off deck
Nah, they are pretty lackluster, especially compared to the last half of the season

A lot of things that turn out fantastic take a while to get good.

I mean, there's a certain point where why you should bother is a valid question, but I don't think 6 half-hour episodes is it.

>Vomits cotton candy off deck
So?

For anime maybe, but for cartoons it seems like anything worth its salt takes a chunk of the first season to really hit its stride and might be off-putting before that.

I think it's not even a horsecock joke since Bojack asks "What does that even mean?" and she replies "I dunno!"

ITT: Post visual gags

I mean, the viewer is obviously intended to take it as a horse cock joke. But the characters don't, because in their world horses are just people.

sure

Because early on it was family guy tier.

At least this show made a lot of sites change their policies on reviewing shows like this. Gotta watch the full seasons (fucking obviously) to do a fair review.

Because they didn't think most of their readers would like it very much, user.

Based off of my experience with suggesting this show to people and people's initial reception of it. I'm pretty sure they didn't watch all of it.

It not a gorefest and they assume is a hipster boring cartoon.

same reason samurai Jack season 5 has a 100% fresh rating, tv critics rate the first few episodes and then their job is over