I dont get it

I dont get it

He died, and was completely ok with it. What's there to get? i mean sure it has some deeper meaning and I can't be bothered to type out my interpretation, but there's nothing special to "get" from a simple point of view

Like tears in snow my dude

He was a real human bean

some kind of reference to sheet music

why do people think he died?

i just thought he got tired from all that work. then he had to travel there. i dont know about you guys but after I drive a long time i get tired!

it's an open ended story, sorry your marvel super hero flick mind didn't like it.

Why did he save Harrison Ford? Surely the richest man in the galaxy will just grab him again. Harrison Ford wasn't even his father. Why did he curse all the replicants to get sold out by Harrison Ford?

>films women will never understand

Why was he okay with it?

Looks like a dude floating in front of a buildings large ac vent.

>“All the best memories are hers...”
>“Why? Who am I to you?”

This is the emotional apex of the film and I was surprised to learn how many people miss the nuance and importance here: As far as K’s memories are concerned, Deckard is his father. If there’s anything the first film taught us, it’s that we are but a collection memories. Implanted or not, they are real in the mind. Remember that line earlier in the film, from Deckard to K: “to love someone you have to be a stranger”? This moment is a direct callback to that. K’s smirk says it all. By saying nothing, he shows his transformation; his ability to love selflessly. And given all the references to fairy tales throughout the film, it is fitting that our Pinocchio has become a real boy by the film’s end. K sitting on the stoop, watching snow fall around him as special unique snowflakes fall on his hand only to melt away forver is also foreshadowed earlier in the film. The significance here being the dichotomy between K and the girl. She is “real” yet she lives in a bubble with fake snow and in isolation. K, the “skinjob”, has been the one to have lived a full life, complete with bouts of Luv and Joi.
So, as ever, Blade Runner is utterly existential in its message - it is how you live and the actions you take that truly matter.

>Enjoy life despite being nothing to anyone with a soul
>Find out that you're not only soulful, but stronger, better
>Grapple with new ascended existence and destruction of normalcy
>Find family that can add substance to life, meaning, answers
>Find out you are not soulful
>Find out you are an object
>end scene: did K die believing he is a soulless bioroid? or did he die KNOWING he was a man?

K makes the first true individual choice of this life through a moral self-sacrifice act that reunites a father with his daughter. When that is accomplished he is done, he's becomes "special" like he always wanted to be, lays on the steps as the unique "special" snowflakes fall on his hand and melt away, like tears in rain.
It's basically the same scene as the original, just the motif here is snow instead of rain and everything is told visually instead of the actor just reciting lines into the camera.

Interesting, but somehow insignificant and contrived to the simplicity of the original.

Why didn't K just get a new Joi?

>contrived
It's a Pinnochio like narrative set in the BR world, it couldn't be more simple

I have found my kino kindred spirit.

Except pinnochio wasnt ever satisfied with being a wooden boy.

He's the first note of a music sheet of a song.

What he had with his Joi was special and irreplaceable, he can't just get an another Joi and have the same experience, it's long lost and gone.
A new Joi means a blank slate, and K no longer believes his special, he no longer believes he's the chosen child, his new Joi would be entirely different to his previous Joi because of him specifically.

You. You are my nigga.

10/10

Did you miss the part with the resistance. Where they tell you dieing for something is the most human act.

>2049
>Snow in Southern California

I guess I don't have to worry about global warming after all.

But he died to let Wallace get his hands back on Deckard and kill all the rebels and enslave all replicants

He died to save him

nucler winter

But he didn't save him, Deckard is still doomed and now even more are doomed

Two robots try to be human. Joi fails and because there was nothing human about her we end up wondering if her desire to be more human was just a part of her algorithm. K fails but he uses the real human memories inside him to embrace human morality and ends up behaving like a human and we're left wondering if he's a real human bean and a real hero after all.

The whole rebellion bit feels like sequel bait. Will there be a sequel? That was weird

The rebellion bit ruined the movie for me desu

Both K and Pinocchio become "real" after they make an individual moral selfless act.
Yes Pinocchio becomes a real boy with flesh, but K's state of being is completely the same as one of a human, the only difference is in the programming, which he fully transcends by the end of the film. More human than humans

Dishonesty

he was tired so he lay down and took nap

Alot of the movie feels like sequelbait. Wallace especially.

Pinocchio is a struggle of wanting to become "real". BR2099 spiderman edition is the story of a wooden boy who is content to be wooden, is forced to become a real boy, fights to embrace being a real boy, realizes he is ACTUALLY a wooden boy, but then has an ambiguous ending. Does he belive he's nothing more than an object, or does he realize he's real?

Was expecting him to whisper "Time to die" during that scene.

>But he died to let Wallace get his hands back on Deckard
How? For all he knows both Deckard and K have drowned in the sea. And he doesn't have a single clue about Ana being his daughter.

As for the rebellion, the one eyed bitch wanted to use K just as a tool for their own means, just like Wallace (which is also represented in both the rebellion and Wallace having a similar water reflected setting and Wallace being blind while the rebellion bitch if half blind)
So he denies them both to make the first truly individual choice of his life by reuniting a father with his daughter and by that becoming "special" like he always wanted

The resistance leader guided him to the path of finding redemption and inner peace even when it wasn’t her intention. She tried to goad him into sacrifice himself and kill deckard to serve her cause and agenda, which she parades to K as “the greater good”. However, while receiving that mission, K realizes that there is no meaning in doing thing for someone else’s cause. He saw it in a mirror of his life, of how he always be given an order to kill someone innocent, to do something he felt morally wrong. He always risk his life for those missions. It’s no different from Lt.joshi giving the order to kill the child for what she claimed “the greater good” earlier in the movie. K needed to find a his own goal and decide his own path of action that he feels right. Sure, Deckard and the daughter might still be vulnerable to both Wallave and the resistance who will come after them afterward. However, K was freed being a killing tool to do the dirty work for everyone else.
The resistance wasn’t supposed to be the good guy or w/e. They are just a mirror of Wallace Corp. They have their own hierachy. They use the lower member as disposable tool for their leader’s agenda. They aren’t hesistant to take down an ally if it inconvenient them. They promised freedom and empowerment to the replicant if they get their hand on the secret of replicant reproduction. However, they separated the first natural born replicant from her father and imprisoned her in a glass prison. Any replicant child born under them will be forced to be part of the rebel organization. How different are they from Wallace’s corp

I'm supposed to believe that the richest man in the galaxy isn't capable of tracking them both down?

>Pinocchio is a struggle of wanting to become "real".
And so is BR2049
>an ambiguous ending
What's ambiguous about it?
>Does he belive he's nothing more than an object, or does he realize he's real?
He realizes that it doesn't matter how you're born/programmed in order to be a "real boy", what matters is the actions you take. Yes, K becomes as "real" as one can be at the end, it's a complete arc of his character

He didn’t know where Deckard was before, why did he know where he is now?

He made a real human connection.

He reuinited Deckard with his Daughter, he also had her memories so the experience was just as fulfilling and special for him as well.

>And so is BR2049

K didn't want to be real. It destroyed his peace in a world with Joi.
>What's ambiguous about it?

because we dont know what he's actually thinking. film schools insist on always believing the "most interesting" endings. but i dont. we just dont have enough information.

>He realizes that it doesn't matter how you're born/programmed in order to be a "real boy", what matters is the actions you take. Yes, K becomes as "real" as one can be at the end, it's a complete arc of his character

assumption. like i typed above. just because it's interesting doesnt mean it's cannon.

>I dont get it
You can "get" popcorn before watching a Nolan flick or you can "get" the plot of some teen book adaptation. Your confusion stems from the simple fact that one is not supposed to "get" great kinography, no: one is supposed to experience it. And experience, my dear sub-intellectual, does not make a distinction between the observer and the subject, as such - they become singular and at that point only question remains: is the film's brilliance allowed to shine freely or is it lost within one's endless abyss of ignorance?

>K didn't want to be real. It destroyed his peace in a world with Joi.
What a dumb statement. The entire film is about K longing to be "real". Even after Joi, he finds meaning and purpose for his life in order to truly become real and "special" like he always wanted
>we just dont have enough information.
K makes his moral self-sacrifice act, tells Deckard to go meet his daughter with a smile on his face, looks at his bloody wound, lays on the steps as snowflakes melt away in his hand, all the while Tears in Rain plays in the background. There is nothing "ambiguous" about it, it's essentially the same scene as thr Tears in Rain scene from the original, just told visually. Even the writer said he doesn't see how anyone could think anything else

>doesnt mean it's cannon
The fucking writer confirmed it dumbo

Cringe

They can claim all they want. but if they didn't make it explicit in (in this case) the movie then it doesnt matter what they say. and by explicit i dont mean obvious, just "beyond shadow of doubt"

Playing the Tears in Rain soundtrack in the scene (while not playing a single other musical motif of the original in any of the previous scenes) is as direct as it can be

>What a dumb statement. The entire film is about K longing to be "real". Even after Joi, he finds meaning and purpose for his life in order to truly become real and "special" like he always wanted
That's what JOI said he wanted. Not K. You're a film student arent you, or just took some film classes? Pretend the movie isnt a constructed narrative, and instead think of the characters as fallible people. K was FURIOUS when he "found out" he was real from memory lady. and continued this train of thought when confronted by his commanding officer. he did not want.
>"stuff you said about the ending"
you are influenced by outside sources. everyone in development positions will cloud what you think by commenting on their finished product. It doesnt matter what a writer/directer indends. it only matters what they show in their finished product. It's ambiguous because there is doubt.

The script says he died read it

that's just adding more ambiguity. basing the ending off the meaning of the first movie and then using that frame of reference to define the ending of this one

B-but ReviewScrew told me it's waify video game cinematics dishonesty incarnate. This can't be happening

No no no no no ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

This was the real ending in the script which thankfully Denis changed.
Rutger Haeur also changed the ending of the original.

Hampton Fancher can't fucking write

>That's what JOI said he wanted. Not K
You are aware that Joi is doing only what K wants to do? You are aware that she's a physical extension of his character development?
> K was FURIOUS when he "found out" he was real from memory lady. and continued this train of thought when confronted by his commanding officer.
He's not angry because he doesn't want to be real, he's angry at himself for basically wasting his entire life up until that point just by ignoring every memory he had and loved, ignored a childhood and his parents (which he ofcourse as it turns out doesn't have at all)

There is nothing ambiguous about it, if he didn't want to be real he would just comply to Freysa, continue on living as a one note slave for goals of others, but he doesn’t do that, he literally does the opposite

Man's Crisis of Identity in the Latter Half of the 20th Century

Did you watch the film?

"You died out there". All Wallace may know is that his hover cars were lost, above the ocean, all of them. To him it is very likely they all died and to try and search the ocean would be nuts, to Wallace, Deckard is dead so no, he won't be trying to get his hands on him.
Deckard was able to hide well enough for all that time before, Wallace also has no idea that Dr Stelline was the child.

>You are aware that Joi is doing only what K wants to do? You are aware that she's a physical extension of his character development?
Come on man. you're saying she's telepathic? I'm saying she's a walking dynamic control system with all the errors involved. I know control systems and they have overshoot error and how they compensate can vary wildly.
>He's not angry because he doesn't want to be real, he's angry at himself for basically wasting his entire life
This assumption of yours is big enough that i can safely drop your opinions. For what it's worth, you have a very common film school interpretation of films.

that quirky le to deep for you memory girl and rebellion ragtag underdog team ruined the movie for me. They tried very hard to pander to the YA novels audience

How so? The rebellion was only there to show K another side to the same coin, that was just as bad, only interested in using him for their agenda, no different than the police. YA would have been "huurr durrr these special teens stop the big corporation run by evil adults" etc, this was nothing like that.

Seems you missed the point of that scene and the leaders character. As for the memory girl, nothing wrong with that, she was the child all along, without her knowing, and hidden in plain sight. What exactly was quirky or too deep about her, other than you could tell she wasn't truly happy and likely longed to be out in the real world?

The rebellion was never revealed to be ragtag underdog or not. As far as we know, they can potentially be as powerful as Wallace Corp on earth as they were established before Wallace even get to earth. They are meant to mirror Wallace Corp and the Earth government as part of the setting and driving force for the plot rather than be the main protagonist nor antagonist

There was literally nothing "2deep4you" about the girl.

>Come on man. you're saying she's telepathic?
No, I'm saying that all the things she does is programmed through all the interactions she had with K.
>they have overshoot error
This is the biggest headcanon point so far. You talk about my "assumption" which I can all defend in terms of the film itself, while you make baseless claims like this where the most important plot point in the film is made because of an error in Joi's programming, absolutely absurd.

And I don't even understand your point of vie, that K doesn't actually want to be real, but he desperately does all of these off mission things just to confirm that he is special to himself, even lies to his own superior. He has real memories and because of them specifically he wants to be real. If he didn't want to be real he would just live as a emotionless non individual Blade Runner for the rest of his life, complying to everyone and everything

Also, he knew that replicants could reproduce i.e. they would be come a new human species or part of the existing one: they would not be slaves forever.

ok, i get that they're pushing the "only together can we survive" angle, since neither just humans or just replicants are the 'good guys'. But so it's interracial propaganda again? Weee. Smells of Soros. Sad.

>No, I'm saying that all the things she does is programmed through all the interactions she had with K.
you are almost precisely describing a control system, which she ABSOLUTELY is. But this is what i think, she is such a robust control system that she is indistinguishable from a real person. I think Joi is a real girl with real OPINIONS about K.
>headcannon comment
your lack of a robust understanding of control systems and programming are apparent.
>but he desperately does all of these off mission things just to confirm that he is special to himself, even lies to his own superior
You're typing exactly what i'm trying to explain to you, but you keep missing it. K lies to preserve his normalcy. He WANTS to come home every day to a homecooked meal with his wife. smoke a cigarette. drink alcohol. K WANTS to live the illusion that he's not a "human".

My favourite thing about BR2049 is probably that even though it's not that particularly deep a movie (you can fully understand it after a single viewing), it's still deep enough that it goes completely over the heads of a large amount of Sup Forums posters which causes them to angrily lash out at it. Even some of the people that liked the movie didn't really understand it as seen by all the people who didn't understand the giant Joi scene for weeks after the release (and some still don't).

How is Deckard 'still doomed'? Wallace has no idea he survived, let alone where he is.

Post plot synopsis in easy list. or die a fag.

because he wants to be with his waifu

Sometimes even the biggest of boys need nap time, user

You guys suck at understanding emotional endings.

He's sad he's not some ones son
He's sad he's probably not real
He's happy that he feels free
He dies

>He WANTS to come home every day to a homecooked meal with his wife. smoke a cigarette. drink alcohol. K WANTS to live the illusion that he's not a "human".
If he wanted to do all of that he could've easily done that exactly and never bother with any of the extra stuff he has done to confirm that he is indeed real. Why would he then go to great lengths to confirm his memory of being real? Why would he do anything besides his job? If we go by your headcanon baseless perspective then K is living the life exactly as he wants it right at the beginning of the film, why would he then do all of these things to change all of that? Why would he buy an emanator, why would he make Joi singular and vulnerable, why did he change his supposedly "perfect" life?

im seriously considering going out and buying a 4k blu ray player and the 4k disc for br2049 after seeing this movie. its just it seems like an incredibly expensive endeavor to buy 4k movies when i already torrent anything i need

He's a robot cause he didn't get cold.

Because it was his secret job assigned by his superior that could kill him without real repercussion. No doubt K was curious. But rewatch him pick up the wooden horse for the first time. Does not want.

he regrets that as a nonhuman lifeform he was unable to properly experience the magic of poz loads

So he:
Does not want to become real boy.
Then finds Wooden Horse.
Now wants to become real boy.
Then he finds out that he isn't real boy.
He screams.
Then he is fine with the fact that he isn't real boy but makes a 'human' decision (by doing his own thing) and then dies happily?

Basically he made his own choice. The police only used him to retire other replicants and the resistance was about to do just the same and make him kill Deckard. Both of these forces saw him as a tool for their own purposes.
So in the end he decides that "fuck them, i can decide myself what to do with my life" and so he sacrifices himself to reunite the father and daughter.

That's his shtick

In every movie he has an ambiguous death/dieing scene.. there's always a chance his character survived but the viewer is never sure

this truly is the best movie of the decade

kind of right. the ending, as you state it, is wrong. the ending of the movie is ambiguous. what did K see/think when he saw that big purple Joi? what did he think when she called him a good JOE? we dont know. as he dies, we have no idea. thought his freak out scene was weird and acted shitily when he screamed "god damnit"? was it bad acting or genius acting? what would an entity who has never shown emotion before do when he passionately screams "GOD DAMNIT". will it be normal? or will it be like the first time he's cursed ANYTHING?

>Because it was his secret job assigned by his superior
He does far more then just what his superior assigns him to do
>But rewatch him pick up the wooden horse for the first time. Does not want.
Again, it's not that he does not want it, it's the realisation that he ignored his own memory (which he loved) his entire life, ignored the childhood and the parents he had, it's a deeply existential scene. It would make no sense for him to be happy in that scene

Memories form identity, and his memories are real lived memories so he longs to be real likewise

I thought it was perfectly acted

you're drunk or delusional or who knows. because you cant even click straight

>what would an entity who has never shown emotion before do when he passionately screams "GOD DAMNIT
That's why it was so off kilter and uncomfortable.
Imagine knowing that every thought and action you made in your entire life were entirely wrong.
Imagine knowing that the person you killed yesterday was probably your biggest lead to find out who your father or mother is.
Imagine denying every single memory (that you secretly love) as fake and living like a one-note slave for a company for your whole life and now knowing that you will be hunted for the rest of your life.

As said, he's angry at himself for basically wasting his entire life up until that point just by ignoring every memory he had.

Same reason why Deckard refused to get a new replicant of his waifu when presented one.

It's just not the same.

His name's Joe, yeah I know it's been a while since you heard a masculine name on a man but that's what he's called

Bare with it

Meant for

His name is K. Joi's are hard coded to assume a JOE. brainlet

I see your viewpoint now. well typed. But that still leaves his contentedness with his previous life with Joi, PROVEN by his baseline tests. this is incontrovertible.

Goddamn you're a faggot.

maybe you should stick to television

Read the script, Joi calls him Jo while the giant ad pink Joi calls him Joe

Just kill yourself, you're giving everyone with a dick a bad rep

Outside information. You judge things by their final product (in this case a movie) not the blubbering they issue after the fact.

>But that still leaves his contentedness with his previous life with Joi, PROVEN by his baseline tests
The baseline tests only prove how he was an emotionless robot before he finds out he's actually real. And I wouldn't say he was entirely "content", he wouldn't change his relationship if he was content then, like buying an emanator and continuing to make Joi as much of a "real girl" as possible