Why is Grant Morrison's worst work getting an adaptation?

Why is Grant Morrison's worst work getting an adaptation?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadshirt.net/2013/09/26/grant-morrisons-bad-bromance-an-alternate-reading-of-happy/
youtube.com/watch?v=v9Dwv5kwtcg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought Happy was ok

Because it's cynical and easy to get.

Because tv is fucking retarded and it was probably pitched like, "It's like Ted.... BUT WITH A MAGIC BLUE HORSE!" and then tv execs pissed themselves with laughter and got visions of Ted money and the third yacht they could buy with it.

I do too but I also think it's the worst thing he's done

Name me a good Grant Morrison project.

I don't read comics often, but I'm in the mood for reading some

It's on the low end (especially for the last few years) but it's nowhere near the depths of Kill Your Boyfriend and other early shit imo.

Kill Your Boyfriend is way better than Happy.

Doom Patrol and Seven Soldiers are his masterpieces

his work on animal man is good

Can you imagine this guy and Morrison meeting and working together and discussing scripts?

Because unlike Invisibles which would take an hour at minimum to even explain, Happy is really pitchy. Exactly like Milar's work, which is why Kick Ass and Wanted, and Millarworld all got or are getting made.

Millar isn't anywhere near Morrison in terms of quality but he's "pitchy" and fits into what hollywood already wants, whereas Morrison is fucking out there and difficult to explain.

I never get the Seven Soldiers one. Yeah, Klarion, Guardian and a lot of the guy's 4 issues are GREAT both thematically and storywise but its nowhere near the level of Doom Patrol or Animal Man. Also, some of the soldiers are just...eh? Like, I never cared for Bulleteer.

Bulleteer is one of the best ones, but a lot of people take it at face value the first time they read it.

Wasn't he trying to get a script made though? Sinatoro?

Should I re-read it? All I get from it is the obsession with youth and how us, as readers, fetishize superheroes to the point that its unhealthy but that's about it.

Please tell me I'm not getting even half of it.

He has a lot of different flavors

Cap stuff: All Star Superman and his run on JLA

Weird Cape Stuff: Flexmentallo and Animal Man

Weird Awesome Stuff: The Invisibles

Those are the best of the best in my opinion. Although I love everything he's done.

I'm sure he was, but I'm sure it didn't fit into preexisting Hollywood tropes so It didn't get made. Especially now, when studios are terrified about risk.

I like Grant Morrison but that strip reads like a parody of Grant Morrison

A lot of Invisibles does desu

Because Mark Millar chose pitchiness, lazy cynicism, and hackiness ( for a while at least. I think he's improved) over quality. Happy was created to mimic Millar's writing style to send a message to him about the value of optimism in writing.

of course, hollywood loves lazy cynicism and bad ideas so they love certain millar stories. which is why Kick ass and wanted got made, and ironically that's why Happy got made. Make of it what you will.

deadshirt.net/2013/09/26/grant-morrisons-bad-bromance-an-alternate-reading-of-happy/

Well, that's Grant Morrison to you. You can only write the same shit over and over for so long before you start sounding like a parody of yourself.

invisibles is the most morrison thing ever, but it is the most morrison thing ever. If you like him you will like it, but it's really concentrated morrison.

Ehh, We3, JLA:Earth 2, Batman Incorporated, and New X-men are all pretty different from his usual ouvre, but they don't get as much buzz for exactly that reason.

we're talking about a comic that has in the first chapter an urban shaman doing a voodoo loa ritual to get in contact with the ghost of one of the Beatles, because "fuck it, I just need someone with secret knowledge only held by the dead"

To be honest We3 would be shit if it wasn't for Quietly.

If this isn't true for every comic then the writer and artist aren't collaborating the way they should be.

New Teaser

youtube.com/watch?v=v9Dwv5kwtcg

That's not Seaguy.

Syfy is really just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, huh

how about you remove your bottom two ribs and go FUCK YOURSELF

Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery is amazing

Sorry. I only hate it because he killed the Tuna.

>to Hollywood, Morrison is a budget Mark Millar

This is the worst feels

Fuck you Matthew Vaughn and his titty monster writing partner

He writes?
Had no idea.

We3 is still one of my favorite books ever.

I would totally fuck that thing.

Don't make it so sexy and I wouldn't want to fuck it.

>worst
even if you don't like it, and I love it, it's by far from his worst work

So would Morrison

so whats the deal with the imaginary friend? is he real because he can clearly do thing that should be impossible.

Alan Moore saw how badly Morrison wanted to break into Hollywood, so he created the homunculus Mark Millar and cursed Morrison: Millar would steal all the movie success Morrison should have had.

Considering Morrison discovered and broke Millar into the industry I'm pretty sure it's

Obi-Wan - Grant
Millar - Little Ani
Moore - Sheev

>Considering Morrison discovered and broke Millar into the industry

That was part of Moore's curse. Make Grant think he's gaining a friend before the knife in the back.

Being Grant Morrison is more suffering than Greg Weisman

>That strip.

I'm pretty sure that's almost literally what happened in episode 8 of the new season of Twin Peaks.

>Rolling Stone: (Mark Millar) still lives in Glasgow, is there a chance of bumping into him?
>Grant Morrison: There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

Morrison is fucking based

Batman RIP is getting adapted?

whats Morrison history with Millar anyways?

>Grant Morrison: There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens.
>this is real

absolutely based goddamn

Miller was basically Morrison's progidy and together they did some excellent work. I think after Grant Morrison ghost wrote some of Millar's Authority however, there was a split. Don't know the specifics, but basically Morrison doesn't like Millar and thinks that his comics are shit because of the pure unrelenting cyncism they have.

That's not the Mystery Play

or is it...? #MorrisonComics

I'll never forgive Warner Bros for not drawing heavily from Morrison's JLA run for the DCEU. Fuck them, fuck Snyder, fuck Goyer, and fuck Johns.

Morrison's only good stuff work is JLA

I wonder if Lynch and Morrison have ever met

Ike pls

I thought that there was a quote from Snyder saying that "BvS was a Miller adaptation, but Justice League is a Morrison adaptation" or something similar

My favorite thing about Seven Soldiers is that everyone has a different set of favorites. There are literally 5040 different ways you could order the 7. My favorites are Zatanna and Frankenstien.

Flex Mentallo is the perfect thing to read when you're feeling suicidal.
The first time you finish you'll be confused, then the next few it'll sink in.

Millar movies tend to be pretty solid though, usually better than the works they're adapting. Honestly I don't get the hate for Millar. Sure there are abominations like Unfunnies and Trouble, but he's got 3 good books for every true dud, and he actually gets the top tier artists in the game to do some interesting shit rather than having them languish at the big 2.

And now he has a new apprentice in Gerard Way.

so shallow references gained by skimming through looking for cool-looking moments, without actually absorbing any of the meaning?

Casual fucking kill yourself, Morrison's run is cinematic as fuck and arcs like Hyperclan, Prometheus or Ultramarines are ripe for adaptation.

Unless they include Aztek or Prometheus he's not getting any royalties or actual credit acknowledgment. And unless they're wholesale adapting stories (none of which make any sense for the shit we've seen of JL) it's just more Snyder lipservice.

I didn't get the ending to Happy.

Animal Man
We3
Doom Patrol
All-Star Superman
Seaguy

Twin Peaks tie-in?

Also he gave Millar the ending to Red Son and regrets it.

That is one happy flying donkey thingy.

The term you're looking for is high concept

>hexagonal god totem

How so? I dont know what Quietly is, btw. Loved We3.

Is teh uni-donk a girl or boy, is there innuendo involved, and they better make it female in the adaptation if they hope for any viewership. And no, this is not because of mlp. Imaginary female animal sidekicks just work better.

Uh huh

quitely is the artist on that book and all star superman

you mean 1 decent book for every 3 shit piles

I'm with you on how good Morrison's JLA run is, but I don't think Hyperclan would work as well today. They were very specifically a commentary on 90s XTREME characters that don't really exist anymore, and how the legacy characters are still relevant.

Actually, thinking on it the modern equivalent of the Hyperclan arc would be a team of touch-feely SJW characters showing up and everyone rejecting the old Justice Leaguers as outdated and "problematic".

Lol nice meaningless virtual signaling

Because only shit gets adaptations.

>Cameron Stewart has been sitting on the scripts for 3 years and hasn't drawn one page
He is by far the biggest faggot in comics.

Almost everything else is either too deeply rooted in being a comic book it wouldn't work in another medium or contains thing that simply aren't possible on a tv budget.

You should read it in order and then re-read it.

Doom Patrol and Animal Man were both really deep dives since they covered a LONG and lengthy run. I don't think Morrison will be doing anything like that ever again unless it's creator owned. Seven Soldiers was a different thing and should be treated as such versus comparing it to those two runs.

Personally, since he seemed to have enjoyed writing Supergods, I think he should tackle a few novels and write something that isn't specifically for floppies or OGNs.

The story works regardless of the commentary, "new guys come and apparently do better but they're actually evil" is a classic story. As it's easy to update them.

I think you're confused about what "virtue signaling" means because that comment is making fun of SJWs.

I think you don't know what Hyperclan is if you don't think that virtue signaling would apply in that scenario.

he's saying you're virtue signaling to the anons on Sup Forums

Animal man is shit

Fucking really?

>he actually gets the top tier artists in the game to do some interesting shit rather than having them languish at the big 2.

He shares 50/50 with them for Wanted, Kick Ass, etc. They are all going to get rich on the Netflix purchase, for example and will be able to piss on Frank Miller and Alex Ross and any other "better known" artist.

Miller directed an adaptation of his own work, I think he's fine in regards to the adaptation thing.

The Hyperclan was a parody of edgy 90s heroes that the world embraced as better than the old JLA but who were actually White Martians.

Not sure where the virtue signaling would apply there, please help me out. Making a bunch of SJW do-gooders turn out to actually be self-serving and dangerous while the old ways are shown to still work doesn't seem to fit.

As said before, that 90s edgy trope doesn't really exist now. The current new trend threatening old characters is the SJW/diversity push of the last few years, so a modern Hyperclan would be one that appears to fit that mold and is pushing out the old heroes.

It's pretty obvious and straightforward. I didn't expect this comment to attract so many hostile idiots, but here we are.

I think Ross and Miller's residuals from their two constantly-in-print DC books and Ross getting $10K a cover are going to outstrip Millarworld royalties for one book

You're taste is shit

the invisibles hard to explain
>it's the matrix with alien life forms and drugs instead of vr and robots