Are elite operators as portrayed in tv/film realistic?

Are elite operators as portrayed in tv/film realistic?

Is it possible that a highly trained operator, with prior planning/strategy etc, could take out masses of lesser skilled combatants? Or are operators basically just superheroes at this point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ksgw79s5vE0
youtube.com/watch?v=DVQrcMLmEMc
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Only indirectly I think. If it's one of those 20 men shooting at one and the one k8lls the 20 then meh. If there is an element of stealth and surprise then much more plausible.

A skilled operator would probably know better than to go in like this. Incidentally, most shows and movies overstate bulletproof vest capacity, I think. Operators do get shot once in a while, but it causes them less harm than it should.

For the most part, it's just plot armour. Where do loads of mooks come from anyway?

>can 360 no scope random guys in the knee
>miss the important bad guy running away in the corridor

No need to be an elite operator famalam, being a crazy (strong) woman will suffice!

No.

Skilled operators go in months or years ahead of the operation to train and outfit locals to fight for them. Or they do raids that are highly controlled in a very short time period(think Osama raid).

Special forces would be the former, commandos the latter.There's a difference between the two terms

Reese was neither though, he just did wetwork for the CIA. He was a straight up assassin.

He does get shot up like a fucking cheese a good few times during the show though.
We need more main actors getting put through grind machines in their shows.

No. The real operators I've met were usually pretty quiet and observant. I'm not American though.

Ice man was pretty good though

Literally the best couple

I don't think "operators" exist. Maybe I am naive, but that's just in movies.

>Reese gets shot in season 1 and ends up in a wheel chair
>shot again in later seasons and ends up bedridden
>Finch gets shot in the gut, makes it all the way across town and walks it off
what a chad

Probably not, him being basically a Terminator was the least realistic part of the show, which is funny given that it was about two artificial superintelligences going to war with eachother.

But at the end of the day it was kind of a superhero show too, so I'll let it slide. Hes pretty much just batman without a cape

Reese got shot in the fourth season in the back and he was pretty much fine. Good show but weird how the realism was more prominent in the previous seasons.

>Reese is Batman
>Finch is Alfred
>Zoey is Vicki Vale/Catwoman
>Carter is Gordon
>That black kid in a season 1 episode is Robin

Helps that the show is made by Chris Nolan's brother

first seasons were best (albeit the stock exchange and the s4 finale were great) when it was just Finch, Reese and Bear fighting corrupt cops and the machine being "alive" was more of a grey area.

then quips mcreddit shows up to dual wield and the machine/samaritan became two anime cyber waifus at war with each other.
>based fucking OST though

>Helps that the show is made by Chris Nolan's brother
Who also co-wrote the Batman movies with him. After seeing PoI I'm convinced that the best parts of those movies came from him, not Chris. PoI was a better Batman story than Batman is.

No. Which is why the special ops teams almost never sortie. Risk is too high.

Absolute worst part of the show. If I wasn't marathoning I would've dropped it.
>machine is mysterious combination of hyper intelligent but young and confused
>give it this smug cunt's smug cunt voice and suddenly it's doing smug cunt monologues
Completely out of character.

I suppose the machine being Brother Eye really isn't much of a revelation after this post

I disagree with pretty much everything you said, except
>based fucking OST though
It was so good. I still listen to a bunch of tracks from it every now and then

youtube.com/watch?v=Ksgw79s5vE0

did you prefer the later seasons or just not like the show?

Probably not.

Terminator Reese was obviously unrealistic, but it was also one of the most fun parts of the show. It's a fiction show.

Threadly reminder that Root, a cute

There was some dude in south Africa who was a legit crazy cunt killing heaps, forgot his name

I meant I disagree that the first seasons were the best. I think it got better as it went on

> he doesnt like root as a character

holy fuck, how do these people even exist

i want a dishonored movie with caviezel as corvo

i just want caviezel in more movies. hes cool as fuck

Reese was Special Forces before being recruited into the CIA's Special Activities Division. A true operator.

I'm about to watch the show, what am I in for? Have never seen but a few minutes of some episodes.

TVkino of the highest order.

Probably the best sci fi show of the last time.
Just a head up though
It starts as a procedural, but the real kino is watching the backstory unfold slowly over the seaons up to the final arc. Procedural era is comfy as fuck still. The other parts... are made for feels...

Neal Ellis?

You're right. Specifically he was in Delta Force, so I guess he actually was a full blown operator then.

>The other parts... are made for feels...
stop typing like a retard and maybe someone will take your post seriously

One of the few TV shows that died an honourable death.

F

A standard CIA case officer is more realistically portrayed in a show like Homeland, even though that is also fairly inaccurate. If I recall correctly, Reese was in Army Special Forces so if he transitioned into the CIA in real life he would likely have been a paramilitary operations officer with the more clandestine units. Truthfully we don't really know most of the details of how the US conducts assassinations outside of war hotbeds like the Middle East. There are probably cases where they send in 1 person but it would be dumb for the assassination method to result in him having to go up against multiple people.

Define "honourable death". It got cancelled and got a gutted 13 episodes to wrap up, and then on top of that they burned off 2 and 3 episodes a week in the final season. the way the network treated this show was shameful.

Still... F

>Truthfully we don't really know most of the details of how the US conducts assassinations outside of war hotbeds like the Middle East.
It's probably pretty close to how the show portrayed it in Reeses flashbacks. Just him and his partner assassinating and then disappearing unsuspecting people.

Take yout (You) and kys, shitposter

On that note, really, the best part of this show is the character building. There are not many shows that actually make you care about every character. There is backstory for almost everyone, and also growth over the seasons.

From what I've read about special forces units like the SAS, they drill the shit out of things like bursting into a room and shooting everyone quickly.
If they can enter a situation with the upper hand, they can maximise that advantage.
They are also much better at acting independently under fire. Being in a gunfight, for most people, is being in a blind panic, not knowing exactly where is safe. Being highly trained to get into the right position in these situations makes a difference.

However, I doubt they could regularly get into a gunfight with 10+ guys without getting shot.

I mean it ended well. Even with a cut-budget and a shitty schedule, it managed to leave me feeling satisfied. Unlike almost every other TV ending ever.

True, it ended really well, one of the most satisfying tv show endings I've seen in awhile. Still cant help but wonder how much better it would have been if they'd had a full 20+ episode season to wrap it up though.

Threadly reminder

>More character development
>More Root and more Shaw backstory
>More insight on Samaritan's endgame and how it was gonna make it
>More cases too
>Possibly a larger conclusion detailing the new Machine in her final form

Who else noticed the Captain Crunch whistle in one of the Finch flashback episodes?
It was shit like this, that went unmentioned, that elevated the show.

All that good shit and we will never ever see any of it...
FUCK YOU CBS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There was a lot of cool little shit like that. Like in the last season, them building a supercomputer out of old PS3s, which is something the Air Force actually did a few years ago. I thought that was cool.

Why are Harold and the Machine moments the best moments in the show?
it's one of most in-depths depiction of an AI ever in fiction, from her origins to her "infancy", the things and experiences that shaped her personality and what she became in the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=DVQrcMLmEMc

When young finch blew into the payphone and called someone from france?

yeah, they did go above and beyond to get the hacking aspect of the show technically correct

PoI is full of these things really. Most of the goodness of this show is in the details, which kinda bothers me a bit, cause not everyone knows how to appreciate it.

Michael Emerson's acting helped. His relationship with John was perfect as well. In fact, the acting across the board was very good imo.

Antagonists

Decima > HR > Case of the week = Hersh and Control >>>>>>> Vigilance

All the flashbacks were great, but Finchs especially were something you really looked forward to every episode. Watching the growth of the Machine was fascinating as fuck.

Michael Emerson's acting helped.
That kind of goes without saying. Dude is a phenomenal actor.

>Greer is Nolans uncle

Based nepotism.

Debatable, though acceptable... you forgot the Brotherhood though

Is he? whenever i saw "John Nolan" in the opening credits i assumed it was jonah nolan, but it was actually greer

Imo Hersch was the best antagonist hands down, i would have liked to see more of him

I'd put the Brotherhood below Vigilance. Peter Collier was actually a pretty likable and sympathetic villain even before they revealed his backstory. Dominic was just a dumb gangbanger who was nowhere near as smart as he thought he was.

Collier was completely and utterly unlikeable in his present form, yes his flashbacks were great but honestly his persona back then was incongruent with who he became... he went from being aware and questioning to slaughtering civilians out of his own ignorance

Is it /k/ though?

>tfw a show whose characters felt like family ends and there's nothing after it ;_;
It still hurts

Now Harold has disappeared from my tv. Why is he in only shit now, people? He deserves a lot better

No, the gun stuff goes from TV land tier to comically bad, its the worst part of the show IMO and i love PoI
Vigilance just became Sup Forums terrorists, i agree Collier's beginnings were interesting but his execution made no sense. the "court" scene was great though.

Now this, I agree. That's the worst fact about Dominic. The guy played like he was smart and he was nowhere near close to find out the truth even.

He was almost unfailingly polite to everybody and his motivations were completely sympathetic. His methods were way too extreme, but then if they weren't he wouldn't have been much of an antagonist. He was the classic "character with good intentions goes down the slippery slope" type character.

PoI is stuffed full of one episode appearances by people who have been in some pretty big stuff. Lots of "hey it's that guy" moments.

>that episode with Katheryn Winnick

Which was funny as fuck. Completely misunderstanding the nature of "Detective Riley"s relationship with Elias and then getting btfo by something he never had any idea existed in the end.
He was a lot like Donnelly actually

Sort of.
A small group tried to invade a prison in Iraq, when they saw how unguarded the city was, they decided to take control of the whole region.
In my country, the biggest drug cartel is made of cops and soldiers. They know how to move, how to take cover, how to keep a defensive position, etc.

>Season 5 not on UK Netflix

John Wick is basically a documentary about me

Pretty much every long running tv show is

Just download it.

>Set him up to come back
>He never does

John Reese>John Wick

Anybody have that Shaw and Root shootout webm?

Ashur (i think) from Spartacus was an ISA agent.

He was basically proto-Greer anyway

Gentlemen and cunts, a more urgent topic is at hand involving /ourguy/. Chip in before it's too late.

True, but he was a fun enough character in his own right.

>Greer was MI6
>Wes was SAS (and also in stargate)
bong joint-op to de-stabalise America subplot

They had plenty of episodes after it to make him come back... Did they forgot about hih or just got caught in the development of the other arcs?

It's posted on /k/ every half an hour

Post your face when the man got the yellow at last.

>try not to die
>love you too
scenes women will never comprehend

I was so fucking mad at how they got rid of him.

Fusco is and always will be /ourguy/

B E S T B O Y

>that smile.

Literally I know a bunch
Went into the military to join CCT, failed out that shit but I’ve got a bunch of good friends who made it through.
Some crazy ass motherfuckers.
One of our instructors received the Air Force cross for running for a while after being shot in the lung and then calling danger close air strikes essentially on his own position to kill every motherfucker around him.

One of my buddies eventually made it into the 24th STS(think of tier 1 shit like delta and devgru), says he can’t really talk about it though

Not to mention the tech they use is fucking sci if bonkers shit

Can see why people in that side of the world hate us. There’s practically nothing they can do to stop us.

B E S T D O G G O

So what was this bitch's fucking problem?

Inferiority complex. She was jealous that she couldn't be as good a Root as Root was.

>2018
>Still thinks they killed osama and threw his body in the ocean
Wake up sheeple

*Kills your main cast member*

Root was the superior interface

I thought Claire would be Samaritan's Root at first though.

>Where do loads of mooks come from anyway?

craigslist

*Kills your main cast members killer*

>tfw I'm just gonna watch