Altered Carbon

What went right?

visuals

nothing else

What's the matter user, afraid of strong women?

no, they're my fetish. too bad there isn't a one to be found in this crap show.

The show was good

Leave season 2 to me.

wet blanket

>fit guys
>latina cop's tits
That's it

I loved the start of the season and the world building here. In my honest opinion some of the best casting in a netflix series as well.

Just wish the last few episodes hadn't been so cringey. The girl being an ultra cool badass thing was absolute garbage and felt so forced and poorly acted that I felt physically ill.

Oh, and there were more plotholes than in Looper. Had to shut my brain down at least once an episode to keep watching.

We can all agree Rei was the best girl, right?

Rei-chan ;_;

>you will never have such a loving little sister

Takeshi was a homo and didn't deserve her.

Best in terms of sane people standards or in /tv standards?

What a... foxy lady.

Is that a rhetorical question?

How the heck was "backing yourself up" ever an actual form of immortality here? You're just making a copy of your mind, if you get killed it's not you anymore.

To an outside observer you're immortal.
As for you, you're fucked. Your copy gets to enjoy life and pretend nothing happened.
Reminds me of the 6th Day.

Is it?

This. Although I wish it was explored more.

Maybe?

Afaik the books don't really get into this either. There's fan theories that the human babies are actually killed and replaced with an a.i. copy that thinks it's human, but the series isn't about philosophizing.

The whole business with the stacks is a bit wonky, do you die if it's removed from your "brith-sleeve"? Won't your brain think for itself anymore at that point?

>the series isn't about philosophizing.
why is why it's crap science-fiction

the hotel was nice, but the hotel being nice contradicted the bits about no one wanting to stay in AI hotels anymore.

This. They never went anywhere with anything interesting.

Nearly started listing this that made zero sense but stopped myself because people are probably still watching this. Also because it would've been a long ass list.

well, it cured me from my cyberpunk fandom but making me realize it's a shit genre. guess it made me take one more step towards becoming an adult? thanks?

>hotel was nice
Well, after 47 years without visitors, that's not surprising at all.

>still shilling this show with the same low effort post
Pathetic much like the show itself.

yes

Did you notice all the other AIs in that poker game were really fucking creepy?
Poe might be the only decent one.

In the books people stopped staying in AI hotels because it was like staying in a haunted house that harassed you for the rest of your life.

In the show the AI hotel goes above and beyond for kovachs in every single aspect without question. Making one ask why everyone of a certain level of wealth doesn't have a well constructed AI managing all their affairs.

The only other AI that had any real characterization was the black one, and poe kills him.

Not to mention it was the AI that managed meth headroom's fight club, thus a level of brutality is expected.

how did poe fire a shotgun if hes a hologram?

also
didnt they say Poe was rich somehow and just kept running the hotel at a loss because he hoped they would catch on again

All my "this". Don't build a series around an interesting concept if you aren't going to explore it.

all the AIs were like that. Their prime directive was to get and serve guests, but when guests stopped coming they had to find other sources of revenue to keep their doors open.

>how did poe fire a shotgun if hes a hologram?

That's not a hologram. It's basically a swarm of nanites that can manifest itself anywhere in the hotel.

My headcanon is that its common knowledge, but people don't like to actively think about it. Then again, billionaires would probably be more careful if that was the case.

Its more about how the only people who are in a position to worry about whether or not their consciousness is really continuing no longer exist. The copy wakes up as if from a nap and has all it's memories, the original person is dead but it's not like they can complain about it, as they're dead. The entire concept is academic.

>harassed you for the rest of your life
I read the book recently and can't remember anything about ai's harassing people for life. Problem was in the fact that hotel is *constantly* watching guests, so it's not exactly a private place.

>Making one ask why everyone of a certain level of wealth doesn't have a well constructed AI managing all their affairs.
This was one of my first reactions to seeing random black guy impersonating a general showing up and killing people at the place in the clouds or whatever it is called. Unless I missed something an AI controlling similar security as an AI hotel would easily kill him or figure out his identity. There are other examples but the show isn't worth it.

The beaner's line about being harassed for the rest of your life was straight from the book.

So its constantly watching you while you're there and constantly stalking you after you leave.

This of course isn't in the show.

>the showrunner is a woman
Does it show?

>It's basically a swarm of nanites that can manifest itself anywhere in the hotel.

That... that would actually be cool if thats the case (im only half way through the season)

>last episode is more than half devoted to a yaaas queen slaaayy sequence

... nope, doesn't show at all.

>Flat face chink
>best girl
the state of white people

its only established at the very end of the character's lifespan (poe dies) and only in order to make it easy/possible to kill poe.

also poe dies.

You had to go and be a dick.

>Friends are overrated. Eventually someone will come along and shoot them in the stack.
Ironic, considering the fact Ortega lost everyone she cared about at the end (except Ryker), while every Kovach's contact succeeded (except Poe).

Its an intensely shitty sequence as well. as the possibility of poe dying is basically not established until he dies because they suddenly say he's x and thus weak to y.

It's academic, but people would be aware of it. Smart people especially. Continuity of consciousness is not a hard concept to grasp.

Anyone ever remember a short story posted ages ago that visited the concept of digital immortality and how twisted and sadistic people get once the concept of death is lost? Altered Carbon touched on it but this story went full throttle with the concept and I can't fucking recall the name.

>Continuity of consciousness is not a hard concept to grasp.

The copies would experience an unbroken sense of continuity, thus leaving nothing really worth considering.

It's on the same level as imagining that you cease to exist every time you go to sleep and a copy of you with your memories wakes up. You, as the copy, can't prove this, no third party can prove this. Thus what is there to consider?

Show got me hard more than a few times. Almost every brothel scene was doing it for me. There was actually a point where I stopped and masturbated.

Outside of that, nothing. Overall the show was shit.

Brain doesn't stop working while it is sleeping though. The entire idea that another consciousness is created every time you wake up is ludicrous.
It's not the same thing as brain dying and another copy with another brain waking up.

To the copies it is. They don't experience death, they don't experience any period of non-existence, outsiders don't perceive any period of death or non-existence.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying you're wrong in saying the original doesn't continue to exist, just that it doesn't matter to the copies. As the copy is there, with an unbroken sense of continuity.

But the stack acts as a middleman. When you go to sleep everything that happens, happens within your brain. When a person in that universe dies or changes bodies a copy of their brain/consciousness, however they explain it, is activated in a new body.
All you need for mass hysteria is for somebody to realize this and write a book about it or tell their friends and so on. The realization that you are a copy and if you die or travel via a bodyswap it means that you essentially die for good would send a lot of people into a deep existential crisis.
Hell, you can make a copy of your stack. That alone throws the whole thing in existential jeopardy.

Isn't that addressed by the massive amount of drugs the Protectorate used to help people swap stacks whereas the Envoys were trained to separate mind from body and give up on the identity of self?

again, it would be like telling people they cease to exist every time they went to sleep and a copy wakes up with their memories.

This stuff dates back to the 70's when people realized beaming down in Star Trek kills the person and makes a copy elsewhere? I wonder if the trekkies ever reached a conclusion on this.

That is an illusion, though. If I was made into a copy without my knowledge I'd... let me phrase that differently. If I had a copy made of me without its knowledge, it would continue to believe that it was me. Until it found out that it wasn't.

This may not bother too much all the lower class people too busy worrying about putting food on their table to think about these things, but the upper-class people who constantly do things like make backups of themselves should be really fucking bothered by it.

first ep was way too good, too bad this series werent about an Operator with crazy implants against odd chances.

This is what causes the Two Brother scenario right? It's technically two copies of the same person but since they've split and lived their own lives they view themselves as two different people instead of one person in two bodies.

Dick move user.

fuck that image, tricked me into watching this shit

No, I thought that was for physical symptoms. The Envoys in the show used mental techniques to ease the sleave-sickness. That's why Takeshi was able to get right up and smash a guy into the wall when he got woken up.

hope not, aside from the shoehorned flashback sequences of course
but they'll probably make up some shit. because they sure as hell won't go with the second book as a base

you're scenerio is faulty because the existence of you is irrelevant to the copy, as it is not like it lived an identical life to you (as you would need to occupy the same space for that).

And for the third time, the point here is this entire thought experiment is meaningless. The copy exists, has an unbroken sense of continuity, and thus any idea of the fate of the original is irrelevant to it. Telling the copy that it's unbroken sense of self is an illusion is like me telling you that your sense of self is an illusion. That you're actually me. And I'm just pretending to be you and replying to myself.

they've already established they're going to just do their OC rebellion bullshit.

Because your dad works for Netflix, right?
They haven't even announced a season 2.

I'm at episode 4 and so far it's one of the worst things I've watched. Literally CSI Miami tier script, YA / male power fantasy tropes.
Even the setting is retarded and poorly thought.

Does it ever pick up?

Not the same, because your brain keeps working.

face kino

>tfw it's gonna be like GoT where the further they go from the books the shittier the show gets

The showrunner has discussed what she would possibly do going forward.

Yes, the copy would have an unbroken sense of continuity (well kinda because they never say what it feel like to be on "ice"). But logically the copy would realize that it is a copy. The nature of its existence isn't hidden from the copy, everyone knows what stacks are. And like I said double-sleeving makes this all worse. In the last episode, Takeshi says that he chooses to kill his double-sleeved copy, so he understands that it's a copy even though if all stacks are valid people he shouldn't.

It turns into an anime when yandere little sister appears. Here's the webms:

If you are hating it at that point then no. The first half was the strongest in my opinion.

My existence is irrelevant to the copy? My existence is necessary for the copy's existence. Hard to think of anything that's more relevant to it.

>Telling the copy that it's unbroken sense of self is an illusion is like me telling you that your sense of self is an illusion.
No it isn't? The former unambiguously is an illusion. The latter might be but that's easily up in the air.

You might say that none of this matters if you actually don't care about constructing an accurate model of the world and that it doesn't even matter if the original is gone anyway, and that might apply to your copy, but *my* copy would consider the knowledge that its unbroken sense of consciousness was an illusion to be extremely important and would not consider its identity to be mine.

they make double-sleeving illegal so they can kill the copy (or both) without consequence.

Also you can logically come to the conclusion that you don't exist, it doesn't change anything.

i think you're just having trouble separating the subjective from the objective and/or you don't understand that a subjective truth is more meaningful, to a person, than an objective fact.

Dude, they've been living like this for around 300 years. Continuity of consciousness is basic philosophical thought. I'm sure any crisis that was going to happen has already happened.

At this time, for the small number of people this would matter to, they don't care. It's not as though they activate clones daily. Needlecasting is a bit more complicated. Even so, I'm sure its something that's a source of existential dread - In the same way we today think about our inevitable death. One pervasive worry has been substituted for another. The dilemma would have been resolved hundreds of years ago.

This isn't a meaningful discussion to have in the context of Altered Carbon.

Friend, for the love of shit, I'm not telling you that you're wrong. I'm telling you that it doesn't matter. That it's purely academic. And purely academic concepts are all but irrelevant to actual living conscious experience.

It was good standalone series and pretty good adaptation. I read source books and found out some parts were portrayed wrong (either completely wrong or just in a wrong order compared to their reveal in book), but overall change from lovers\rivals to brother\sister relation is a neat move, really maed me feel like shit at the end and i appreciate when series can wake some feels.
Also lots of tits and girls.

she is dusgusting both phisically and personality wise

Please leave, this thread is for reiboys only.

the only good part

The incest vibes were heavy.

>good boobjob

no strong women?

antagonist is protagonist's sister, turned bad

back-up antagonist is rich white bitch who fucks protagonist to spite her husband

the day is saved by a young black girl trained to super hero levels in VR

good cop is feisty latina with a bionic arm and tits that can detect neutrinos

Where is my onii-chan?

Now thats a 10/10 body

Those scenes of her in he cop outfit with the extra tight under armor shirt.

Damn.

I loved everything about this show. It really impressed me

>Rei backed up the niggress
>but not her big bro

Do these people even read what they wrote or do they just scribble shit on the paper and roll with it?

The only visual Cyberpunk thing besides Deus Ex I've ever been able to get into.

all of them reeked of pathetic insecurity

>scribble shit on the paper and roll with it?
That's been just about all writing since the last strike.

>not getting into johnny mnemonic
wew lad

Strange Days was better.

Does it have a cyberwarfare 1337 h4x0rz dolphin in it?
Checkmate athiests

the first six episodes.

netflix needs to stop forcing shows to be longer than they ought to be