Geoff Johns

What are your thoughts on him? More and more I'm seeing people who've said he's never written anything good.

More and more people are right.

he makes comic books for kids who think most comic books are "too hard"

Well those people are dumb. He makes set-piece storylines which don't try to do anything psychological or deep but can still make for great action pieces.

Anyone who says his JSA or his GL run up until Sinestro Corps War is bad is a legitimate hater for the sake of just being one. Sure, they don't tease the brain but if Mad Max: Fury Road can be praised, Aliens can be praised, Terminator II can be praised and Die Hard can be praised, so should a good action comic book.

Never read any of his stuff but he seems like an overeager fanboy which is both good and bad.

his fans are pretty much all faggots who can't comprehend any criticism

I'm not seeing that outside of the Sup Forumsntrarians who are perpetually butthurt at him.
Like this fag.

Most people seem to love him.

People who shit on his work on the JSA are inherently contrarian by nature.

His stories are solid, not ground breaking or particularly excellent but fun to read in general. I dont understand the hate, he's not mediocre or bad, just not exceptional, his product is basically a very good if safe, perhaps to a fault, and typical comic.

>contrarian
>anyone who disagrees with johnsfags
Pick two

I love his GL stuff, and it's all I've read from him, so I don't really have a bad opinion of him. I hear he's released some bad comics, though (Flash is brought up often)

His Wally run is damn good.

>Mad Max: Fury Road, Aliens, T2, Die Hard

Johns is Bayformers

Everything I've read from him ranges from mediocre to downright shit.
I'm not planning to ever read anything else by him.

>Mad Max: Fury Road can be praised, Aliens can be praised, Terminator II can be praised and Die Hard can be praised, so should a good action comic book.
Those movies aren't exactly praised for their scripts, you know.

Alan Moore wrote Supreme and Tom Strong which weren't deep either, and were just normal superhero stories, but they were creative and we'll written. Stories needing to be just a poor excuse for defending cereal lord's mediocre writing. His writing is as cliche as MCU.

*Stories needing to be deep is

It's easy to critique when all you have to say is bad shit.

Mah nigga

He's in the same boat as Bendis, in that he used to write good books but he was given so many positions and gigs that he got stretched out and became stale.

You can say all you want about his stories being "safe" or " not clever" but when it comes down to it johns just gets superheroes and thats something you cant say for alot of other comic writers.

I fucking DESPISE everything he did for TT and Superboy's character.

No he doesn't. He shat hard on Booster and TT.

Bendis was never good, stop this meme.

I will agree his teen titans had problems but it was still better than anything we had gotten in years by that point.

Also lets not pretend that getting shat on is nothing new for booster its pretty much a running gag.

>it was still better than anything we had gotten in years by that point.
It just succeeded YJ which was the best run involving those characters.

He actually turned Booster into a generic no character Johns protagonist.

desu i couldnt get too much into YJ but thats just a matter of taste for me.

I thought he used to be okay. JSA was always overrated, the characters had very little depth to them and aside from a few stories it was all mediocre but his Flash was really good, much better than SJWaid's run. And what he did for GL cannot be denied, he made the comic one of the biggest titles at DC and while the rainbow corps isn't a brilliant idea, it's one that worked very well for the franchise and the characters were all super interesting(but of course he didn't do much with them before moving on to the new shinny).
The worst things about him recently are 1) he claims to love comics but he's done very limited work in the last couple of years, preferring to oversee live action adaptations.
2) just like how people like to criticize Scott Snyder for trying too hard to leave his mark, the same applies to Johns too, except it's not limited to just Batman. He raped the New Gods in his awful Darkseid vs Anti-Monitor idea(no winder people compare his mind to that of a 9 year old). And he's a control freak, preventing a Shazam title from being made for years and crippling Aquaman by announcing Rise of The Seven Seas but never getting to it which means the title had this storyline looming over it with readers being constantly distracted by it while the writers couldn't do much world building in fear of contradicting Johns story.
3) he's abusing his power to hire hacks like Humphries because they're friends instead of scouting for talent.

>3) he's abusing his power to hire hacks like Humphries because they're friends instead of scouting for talent.

I actually liked his Green Lanterns run just goes to show you how shit marvel editorial is right now

No, it just goes on to show how shit your taste is.

I still enjoyed it i dont care what you think.

This, pretty much. He did a pretty good job of revitalizing Green Lantern and making a character bogged down in bizarre continuity more accessible to unfamiliar fans.

Generally, though, there's something profoundly mediocre about his work. His knowledge/love of continuity worked for GL (for a while, anyway) but it seems to hobble the vast majority of everything else he's written. The dialog/narration is uninteresting, the plots tend to be bland and get repetitive...It's extremely middle-of-the-road work, albeit polished.

This is just meme posting. The only reason people hated Humpries is because of Ultimates but he was only following Hickman's ideas. People didn't hate Humphries scripting, they hated the plot. But Humphries is a mediocre writer at vest for DC to jump on his cock the minute his exclusive at Marvel was up and not only offer a gig but an exclusive is just... nepotism at it's finest.

Nah, man. Daredevil and his early Powers and Ult. Spidey were pretty hell of swell.

They all have the usual Bendis problems but ramped up to 11. Especially Powers where his terrible dialogue was paired up with Oeming's horrible art.

I honestly didint know he was buddies with johns so my bad on that one but nepotism exists in any workplace connections is how alot of people get trough the door in the first place sadly.

You're seriously and unironically defending nepotism. This is the power if johnsfagging.
There are unheard voices out there waiting to be discovered but unlike the old days when DC used to scount talent, now all you need is to be friends with Johns to get a job at DC.

I'm not defending it I'm saying sometimes that's the cold reality I'm all for natural talent over anything but doesn't always work out that way.

Sometimes it does. Or sometimes the nepotism can be mild, like getting a guy a gig once every 5 years. Johns is just abusing his power.

>johns just gets superheroes
Is that why his Justice League was so shit?

Every writer has bad and good runs user. I'll admit it wasn't that great

Sam & Twitch was good too.

I will always love the Cereal Lord for what he did to Green Lantern mythos in general, and especially for his character work on Hal and Sinestro.

>I'll admit it wasn't that great
That's being very generous. It was fucking shit, all the superheroes acted out of character and they were the shittiest versions of themselves in all of the contemproary books. And we're talking about the New52.

And he revitalized Green Lantern through decently executed cliches and gimmicks that don't really hold up to a closer look. I mean, just look at his "emotional spectrum". It makes no fucking sense and has no internal logic.