Hypercrisis Thread

Well Sup Forums it's time for another rousing discussion about the wonder of Hypercrisis

Other urls found in this thread:

ohdannyboy.blogspot.ie/2012/06/1933s-reign-of-superman-first-superman.html
dailygrail.com/Speculative-Fiction/2015/4/Meeting-Their-Makers-The-Strange-Phenomenon-Fictional-Characters-Turning-
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are there still people that believe Hypercrisis isn't real?

A refresher for newbies.

So reading Metal recently, i was wondering what the multiverse is now with Rebirth?

I think it still follows Morrison's map.

It's likely the same. Plus, the Dark Multiverse likely has no structure. It's just a void where shitty universes emerge and immediately die.

Went to Quitely's Kelvingrove exhibition (go if you can, its fantastic) and this was in the displayed piece of the Pax Americana script.

Anyone think pic related is gonna mean anything?

Forgot pic

On the Dragon in the Mirror, I think this story from the Gotham Academy Endgame issue is relevant. For context the main characters are telling scary stories they've heard after curfew.

if i wasnt a burger id go
>posting the shitty image

And thats it. Of course it could just be typical made up spookiness in universe.

The issue also has a haunted mask style story and one about an evil jester in Medieval Scotland.

I read Multiversity for the first time back in August and I remembered seeing something on here about how Ultra is a lot like Adam Warlock. I've always liked Warlock, but that connection made me want to see how many links I could find between the two characters and also see what the relevance of the connection - if any- is.

So, I went back and read all of Adam Warlock's earlier appearances. When we first encounter Him in FF #66, we only see the cocoon, but He does speak. In case you're not familiar with his origin, Warlock was created by a group of scientists to be the perfect human, to essentially be God. He lashes out at them and retreats into a cocoon. The cocoon is found by Alicia Masters, the Thing's blind girlfriend. Look at how she is reaching out toward the reader in this last panel, after having journeyed from within the page, moving out toward the frame. The very next page sees her with the cocoon.

The implication here is that He has experienced reality, not taken a liking to it, and retreated in the hope of emerging better equipped to deal with reality. Also worth noting, He was created by Jack Kirby, The One Above All in the MU. All the while, he's also the only totally organic character in the MU created by human scientists from scratch. All the others, like Vision, Machine Man, Deathlok, are all androids and cyborgs. He is 100% biological.

There's more than that.

We don't see Him physically appear until the very last page of FF #67. He kills his creators, and we then learn later on in Thor #165 that he buggered off into space to find a mate. But his quote here in the last panel, "The child is father to the man", got me thinking in a kind of biblical way. Not without heed obviously, the Space Jesus meme didn't come out of nowhere. But I don't think anyone's really looked at it as much more than that - a meme.

There's a kind of hint toward the holy trinity in that quote. Man created God, yet God, though a creation of Man, is the Father of man. Well, in the comic book sense, man also created Him. But they only created Him because Jack Kirby, the One Above All, made them do it. Jack Kirby basically created God through proxy in the Marvel Universe.

But the implication isn't just that He is God. Thanks to the panel layout and the artwork when Alicia finds the cocoon, I think the implication is that He is us. As in, Adam Warlock is the reader given agency in the Marvel Universe. So, I thought how could you apply that to his quote at the end of FF #67? Well, the reader is basically the God of the writer and the artist. If it weren't for the readers, then the comics wouldn't exist, and the writers and artists would be out of a job. So, out there as it may seem, I think He (Adam Warlock) is meant to be us. He's the God of the writer and the artist within the Marvel Universe. The Reader as the ultimate hero.

And if you think I'm crazy, wait till you see what Roy Thomas brings to the table.

Trying to get these out quicker so the thread won't die.

Roy Thomas presents Warlock as the Son, and introduces the Holy Spirit in the form of the Soul Gem. Adam is discovered by High Evolutionary, who is in the process of building Counter Earth. As he does so, Warlock sees the entirety of Earth's history unravel, but without the emergence of super-heroes. So Counter Earth, like Ultra Comics Earth 33 (our Earth), is super-hero-less.

Evolutionary's creation the Man-Beast goes to try and conquer Counter Earth, so Evolutionary sends Warlock to stop him. The rest of the run is mostly Warlock being all Messianic and meeting the Man-Beast as a false prophet and shit.

The Soul Gem is the Holy Spirit. It's a lick of flame atop Warlock's head that, if he mastered it, would allow him communion with every soul in the entire universe. It's reminiscent of the flames that emerged over the heads of the apostles after the Ascension of Jesus.

Ultra Comics also has a jewel in his forehead, which is the second thing, besides the origin story, that he shares with Warlock.

Now, we get to the Starlin stuff. Warlock has been firmly established as something of an embodiment of the reader, and also a representation of the Holy Trinity. Being both of those things essentially suggests that the reader is a God, and Warlock is that God.

Starlin then brings some new material to the table, and he does it over and over again, so we need only look at the first instance: he presents Warlock with the Magus - his evil future self.

Warlock, after having freed some grotesque aliens from imprisonment and them begging him to be their ruler, demands that they rule themselves. Warlock is presented not as a domineering God, but as one who values the freedom of individuals and the importance of agency.

The Magus is what happens when Warlock loses that ideal. The Magus is demanding, domineering, and a tyrant. If he wants something, he takes it, and he doesn't care who gets in his way, he'll kill them, because he has the power to do so. The Magus is Warlock when he wants to be a God.

So, you throw all that shit together and you look over at Ultra Comics.

>both created by a group within a comic book
>both emerged from a cocoon type structure
>both have jewels in their heads that link them to some higher power

But you can apply the whole idea of "the reader as a God" to Ultra Comics as well. Except Ultra is subdued by the Gentry. The Gentry take control of Ultra, turn him from this ideal hero, into a domineering force that wants to control everything. They take the reader and they make him greedy. They make him The Magus - or in Ultra's case - the Empty Hand.

If I've just spewed complete and utter bollocks, don't hesitate to let me know, btw

Holy shit breh, 10/10 observation

>"Suddenly, he was acutely aware of just how many places you see your own reflection, even when you're not looking for it."
>Joker tells a joke to his reflection at the end of Killing Joke
>Batman laughs with him before killing him

Wew lad

Just gonna post random shit as bumps.

>yfw the Gentry and Empty Hand are actually succeeding in killing Marvel

On that note.

Thats pretty fantastic. I think Morrison being so in love with the conceot of Superman is what made Morrison hopeful for humanity.
Compare that to Moore, who caused the silver age superman to fail in his final story "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow".
Morrison understands the whimsy and importance of comics to our modern culture. Moore did not.
I mean shit, look at a guy like Garth Ennis:edgelord extraordinaire. Superman is the only superhero the guy fucking admires.
There's something about superman and the fact he can break through the hearts of the most stone hearted.

Up until just last year I was an exclusively Marvel guy. Jumped ship to DC with Rebirth, didn't think I'd like Superman, but figured I'd read all the books for the first six issues before deciding which ones I'd stick with. That Superman run got me into Superman. And I got REALLY into Superman. So much so that whenever I get drunk, I bang on about hope and love and family, trying to convince my non comic book reading friends that Superman is a hell of a lot more than just a crazy power set.

Also, sure people love Batman and love to say he's"badass" but I think there's a subconcious element to it.
I think the romantic thing about Batman is that he's humanity at it's best without power or alien heritage.
He deals with childhood trauma in a manner that will benefit others. He's trained himself to reach peak human potential in mental and physical capacity to the point that he could take on superhumans. The man is wealthy but not as self indulgent as the rich in the real world. He's cold but has a strong sense of compassion.

I think Superman goes against the modern US sensibilities because we are in such a cynical era, ever since the 80s or 90s. Humanity now refuses to believe someone would be purely good and doing good things all because it was right. Superman doesn't have an uncle ben or wayne parents to avenge. He had a strong upbringing that forged him into a man who understands that he has the ability to make things right and so he should do it. He has nothing to benefit in glory, fame, or riches.
Humanity noe cannot comprehend someone acting in such a way. Man of Steel and BVS is a strong case for what I'm saying (setting aside all the war in metropolis stuff)

I was just going through the thread that this is from and found something interesting.

Some of the posts not collected in the image are in pic related. In DC Universe Rebirth #1, Wally mentions that he's had a watch in his family for generations. On top of that, Jon Osterman (Dr Manhattan) was an apprentice watchmaker under his father before he became a physicist. There might be something to that.

And for shits and giggles, here's a link to the short story by Jerry Siegel that is the first "Superman" story. I read it not long ago and thought the protagonist was like a proto-Manhattan, there's even a part where he sees a vision of Mars.

The story is from 1933 (haha, 33)

ohdannyboy.blogspot.ie/2012/06/1933s-reign-of-superman-first-superman.html

Been wondering about this for a while.

How do you guys figure inter-company crossovers fit into the Hypercrisis?

A little thought I had regarding the DC Trinity:
>Superman=God and sky/sun god (sky gods are always gods of immense power. That and Clark comes from a distant planet from space)
>Wonder Woman= woman and earth/clay goddess (earth deities are often always goddesses with direct ties to the earth, Diana was made from clay)
>Batman= man and underworld/darkness god (Hades was the god of underworld and riches in greek myths)

They all also represent three most common human experiences:
>Hope= Superman
>Love= Wonder Woman
>Fear= Batman

Regarding what user said, there's something both totemistic and iconic to The Trinity.
It's something thst transcends the man-made manufacturing of iconography of heros like the avengers or Guardians of the galaxy.
Those three charachters were the foundation to the entire comic industry and what would define heros
It's a totem you can really vizualize. A three faced totem with superman at the very top, and Batman at the bottom.
Sky, earth, and shadow.

I'm somewhat new to this Hypercrisis stuff but
dailygrail.com/Speculative-Fiction/2015/4/Meeting-Their-Makers-The-Strange-Phenomenon-Fictional-Characters-Turning-
Does this have any relation to what you are describing ?
All those Constantine sightings (not just from Alan Moore) seem pretty weird.

Yeah, Morrison met Superman at SDCC back in the 90s and that's what inspired him to write all star superman