twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that pic is retarded op

here is the explanation: 37 = 30 + 7 so

37 * 54 = (30 + 7) * 54

37 * 54 =30 * 54 + 7 * 54

7 * 54 = 378

3 * 54 * (10) = 162 (LOL LOST DIGIT??)

1620 + 378 = 1998

Top 20 in the world, it's got its own problems mainly related to science and engineering.

The Old-Fashioned way they showed isn't the Old-Fasioned way, though.

I have never seen it done like that.

I have. Virginia fag here, no common core in this state. The governor really really wants to push it but the school board continues to reject.

Funny, that's actually how I learned to do it like, 25 years ago.

Virginia here as well.

i don't get this
why is common core taught exactly?
what's the point of breaking 37 to 30,7 and multiplying? why don't you also break 54 to 50,4?

Superior way incoming:
54 * 37 = (100 * 37 + 8 * 37) / 2
I can solve this in 5 seconds without a calculator.

I learned to do it the "Common Core" way on the bottom -- which I then realize they just renamed the Common Core way to Old Fashion and vice versa.

>being this fucking oblivious
maybe you need common core meme

Best in the world

>lost digit

that's why we learned to drop a zero in there

because there is no need.

I was taught the second way(24yo) and find it pretty simple to follow. Never seen the first way before.

Everyone in this thread are retarded.
The pic is making fun of common core by pretending that common core method is simple (and call it the old-fashioned method) and the old way is complicated (and call it the common core method).

>54 * 37 = (100 * 37 + 8 * 37) / 2
how do you get there?

54*2 = 108

54 * 37
((54 * 2) * 37 ) / 2
(108 * 37) / 2
(100 * 37 + 8 * 37) / 2

alternatively you could just go for this:
54 * 37
50 * 37 + 4 * 37
50 * 30 + 50 * 7 + 4 * 30 + 4 * 7

but that's pretty much what the bottom of OP image does, except you write shit down in a particular way

somebody who knows meme maths explain the top

>first method
>lots of exceptions, special cases when to ignore steps and numbers
>second method
>same principle applied on all steps, no special cases, no memory required, the way a computer calculates
Holy shit, you americans use some sort of witch craft for multiplying and can't even into metric units. No wonder your colleges suck at a global level, your pupils had no math skills till common core.

ty

Pretty sure the artist doesn't have a PhD in math because it's pretty obvious where 378 and 162 come from (54 times 7 and 3 respectively). It also seems like the old way and new way are swapped to me because I was taught the "new common core way" many years ago.

I'm not a redneck piece of shit, but it seems like the side with the even number (54) is being halved at the same time as the odd number (37) is being doubled. What I don't understand is why they're only adding some of the numbers on the right, and not 37 and 296.

Edinburgh?

That "common core" way was how I learned math. The "2" above the 5 is the result of 7*4=28. You write the 8, carry the 2 and then multiply 7*5=35+2=37. (378). Then you multiply 3*4=12. Write the 2, one space over below 378, then carry the 1 and put above 5. 5*3=15+1=16. Results are 378+162(0)=1998. Not a coincidence, it works every time and is actually really easy. I am not even 100% confident that this is considered "common core"

The second one isn't much different.

They just carried the remainders for you and took away the 'placeholder' Zero.

end public school

let all the wise professor n teacher sell to the public

shut the fuck up, thats how everyone does multiplication, its a joke image. Now explain the gypsy magic of the top one

O, I get it. Is the joke supposed to be that they switched around the old fashioned way and the common core way?

If that's the case, I cannot explain the gypsy magic of the first one, that shit is terrifying desu.

Am I being rused?
The only method I learned was the second one in around 2004.

This. You'd have to be retarded not to understand that.

This.

Ayy same.

You divide the left side by 2 and multiply the right side by 2. If the left side isn't divideable by 2 (27/2 = 13.5) you write the last number of the right side as a "bonus" to be added later.

It's kinda just shuffling the equation around:
54x37=?
27x74=?
13x148+74=?
6x296+74+148=?
3x592+74+148=?
1x1184+74+148+592=?
1998=?

I think thats more confusing than the box method,

youtube.com/watch?v=CIwxJIB43Co

america sucks

Why did they skip 6/296 in the top calculation? Is it because the decreasing integer was an even number?

The first method is very error prone, especialy for children. That's why in the civilized world (Europe) only the second method is taught, even our second graders manage to grasp it.

Common Core was created to end white privilege.

youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8Nr3_2724

i always did maths in my head in some common core type way

54x37

50 x 3 = 150
4 x 3 = 12
150 + 12 = 162
162 x 10 = 1620

5 x 7 = 35
x10 = 350
7 x 4 = 28
350 + 28 = 378

1600 + 300 = 1900
20 + 78 = 98

1900 + 98 = 1998

That doesn't make sense though.

Schools used to be good here until they decided to be "more inclusive".

They took the curriculum of special needs schools and introduced them nation-wide pretty much.

It imports superior concepts from Europe and mixes in SJW crap. Your kids won't turn gay because the use better techniques for calculation, but they will turn gay watching your cuckold Disney shows.

They are rewriting the left side as binary as they go down, so...
2^0 * 37
2^1 * 37
2^2 * 37
... and so on
If it's an even number or divisible by 2, in binary it's 0. Hence, not added.
Hint: 54 in binary is 110110

Oh my god. Their goal is to make whites and asians as stupid as the rest. That's how they make it inclusive. We are fucked and my kids are homeschooling.

I literally have no fuck, but in long division if you cannot divide by the divisor, you add a decimal to the dividend to find the quotient. Seems like the same principal applies here.

If you want kids to find the same answer, using a different route, we should really start by teaching binary and show that each numeric place is either multiplying by 1 or by zero.

Oh. Never learned about this in school. We always did it the long way.

What you're trying to say is
"I'm not fucked"

Yeah. Did pretty well in math, studying math now, mom is math professor, and even with all that, I have never seen that top shit in my life.

The point is to work with easier numbers. Most people can divide by two very easily in their head, and multiply by tens as well. Multiplying by single-digit numbers is also easy.

So 54*37 becomes 50*37 + 4*37
(50*2)*37/2 + 4*37
100*37/2 + 4*37
3700/2 + 148
1850 + 148 = 1998

wtf even is the first method? I'm in my 30s and was taught the alleged "common core" method.

The "Old-fashioned way" is autistic. Took me a while to figure out you're basically doing binary multiplication in fucking base ten...

I have no idea where the 1 and 2 things came out either, we don't use that over here.

What comes next is simply multiplying digit by digit, really. 7 * 54 = 378 (can easily be computed quite fast by simply going from right to left on the second number as well, but this time you have less overhead since you only have to carry 7 * 4 = 2(8) 7 * 5 = 3(5 + 2) => 378)

If you can't tell what's going on in the second example you probably shouldn't have a math Ph.D.

VA fag here. McAwful BTFO

Lattice multiplication is the way to go senpai

The old way is quicker to teach even if you never understand how it works

What the fuck is that top method? I can't figure out the pattern.

it's a joke image. the common core way is the old fashion way. the first method is probably the common core method but idk

Be better, 2bh, to just teach kids all the properties of the numbers or whatever, like additive, associative, etc. Then they can manipulate the numbers and equations as they see fit to attain whatever answer they seek.

how is it hard to understand how it works
it's just
54 * 7
54 * 30
add them up

what you're trying to say is kids these days (read: niggers) can't be arsed to memorise the multiplication tables
so they have to create these newer techniques that dodges that

54x4x10-162
easiest way in my brain, no school taught me that

>The old way is quicker to teach even if you never understand how it works
How is it quicker? Am I the only one who thinks teaching logical methods is easier to do (to non-retards, over 80 IQ) than teaching methods that seem arbitrary in base 10?

Old ((way)):
>lol just divide the first number two each time!
>oh 3 doesn't divide by 2 cleanly? Just round down like a retard!
>oh yeah we have 6 * 296, but we don't count this toward the total, for some reason. IDK, LOL!
Someone explain this shit to me.

Common Core way makes more sense honestly.

i learned it that way and i did just fine, made it through

Calc I,II,III, Linear Algebra and DE

Kids don't think logically. It's better to just get them using the techniques and then they can understand it later.

This is how 95% of teaching works, even in college.

This is how I was taught I find it the easiest method:

Basically rewrite 37 x 54 into ---> (30 +7) x (50 +4)
Now multiply each number with another just once and add each products up:

30 x 50 = 1500
30 x 4 = 120
7 x 50 = 350
7 x 4 = 28
+_____________

easy, quick and redpilled

I took up through Calc 3 in college and I don't know what the fuck this image is trying to say. If I need to multiply two numbers that I can't multiply in my head, I will multiple them on top of each other by hand. What's going on in this image and this thread?

>Kids don't think logically. It's better to just get them using the techniques and then they can understand it later.
>This is how 95% of teaching works, even in college.
Getting them to do the most byzantine method of them all is still autistic.

Again, I don't see the purpose in something that is effectively more complicated to the unintroduced mind.

In the first method, the top number is being divided by 2 each step down, and the right number is being multiplied by 2 each step down. It's nonsense.

Holy fuck are you serious? The bottom way is how they teach multiplication basically anywhere I've been to in the world. If you can't understand the bottom one you must a have double digit IQ.

Someone please tell me OP is trolling.

I think you are both confused in your communications with eachother.

In the pic the "old fashioned" method is actually the common core bullshit. The "common core" method is the classic method that is easy to learn and do.

>answer seems to be the same

what does this even mean? The answer is, in fact, the same. There's no seeming about it

>sheer coincidence

There's no evidence that this it's in any way coincidental.

Why

That and look retardedly unnecessary

This, desu, schools and teachers in America don't know what they're doing anymore, they've made that very clear for the last decade.

The 1 and 2 are carried over from where the multiplication of the ones column of the top number resulted in a number larger than ten.

7*4=28, so you carry the two to the next column so that it's 7*5+2. I didn't bother writing it down back when I was in school unless the instructor was being a cunt about showing my work. Generally it's just to remind you that you have some rollover from the previous column.

Hard to compare to anything else really. But I hear Canadian education is pretty ok.

More complicated to derive is not the same as more complicated to apply

It matters whether you mean you teach functionally, or theoretically.

Yeah, that's what I gathered from other posts, but in any case, that's autistic. There were some other Common-Core things I was neutral towards, but this one is simply retarded.

Oh that makes sense.

It does mean more complicated to learn.

I personally hate rote-based learning with a burning passion. All it does is teach kids how to be submissive robots.

This is what the bottom is doing, just with a clever format

---ATTENTION: VERY SLOW AND DETAILED EXPLANATION OF METHOD 2 FOR MART SHARTERS THAT HAVE SINGLE DIGIT IQs--

Holy fuck you people are retarded. OK. Let me explain the second way.

You multiply starting by the units of the bottom number. So 7 times 4 is 28. So you write an 8 on the result, and the 2 (corresponding to 20 in 28) you gotta add to the tens, so you write a 2 just to remember to do it.

Now you do 7 times 5, 35, plus the 2 you wrote up there, so 37. So you write a 37 on the result. Now you have 378.

Now we move to the tens of the bottom number. 3 times 4 is 12. Write a 2 on the result, but move it left once because you gotta account for it being in the tens (you could write a zero on the units if you want to/ are retarded). Similarly to before, write a 1 on top to remember to sum it on the next step.

3 times 5 is 15, plus that 1 is 16. So your second result is 162.

Now you add 378 to 1620 and get 1998 which is the result.

Because some PhD in early childhood education who got a dual-major in gender studies and psychology doesn't understand that her absurdist methods will destroy the minds of children, which is what it's designed to do so that indoctrination can occur much easier.

VERY INTERESTING PICTURE

OLD FASHIONED WAY IS. PUTTING IT IN CALCULATOR IN MY OPINION

are those labels the wrong way around?
in Australia we've used the so-called "common core" way for decades.

>lost a digit???

Thanks OP this should be in YLYL.

Don't bother. Most Americans started using calculators in first grade and haven't the foggiest idea how addition works.

The top is just a derivation of the euclidean algorithm is it not? there is nothing simpler than that.

>binary multiplication in fucking base ten.
this. this is pants on head retarded.

When I was in school decades ago I was not taught the top version

extremely slow catering to the dumbest of all students

Floridian here, our schools are pure shite. They're all mostly D's and F's.

Except for St. John's county (st. Augustine area), because it's got like 4% black population so the schools are all A's across the board. They lead the state and actually that county is one of the best for education in the country.

That's a pretty dope method actually. I might start doing that but with the 10s first

54/10=5r4
5/5=1r0

54x37=37*4+37*10*5
=74*2+370*5
=148+1850
=1998

that's a lot more manageable in your head

If you neglect the effort to convert 2 numbers to binary then a bigger one back to decimal, multiplications are damn easy

>but with the 10s first
the point was that the kid would only have to remember 1x1 up to 9x9, and understand that multiplication by ten is done by appending a zero.

You guys need to realize that this math is for people who aren't going to split the atom.

I'm using it for quickhand math for certain questions on my GMAT and find it very useful.

the original image is fucking satire you fucking monkey. every single person in the world has learned to multiply the second way. the joke is that the first way is not simple at all.

Here, have this. I can teach you how to divide too if you want.

Yeah and that's just a consequence of the remainder can only be 1 or 0 when dividing by 2

Using bigger divisors wouldn't be good to teach kids just learning to multiply, but it's certain manageable for an adult. A lot more manageable for mental math, at least

leave my disney alone. their shows were good.

Just use a damn fucking calculator!

>were
Were is the key point here, unless you mean the cancer live actions one.

>Why should my liver detoxify my body? Just use a damn fucking dialysis machine!

i do break it up when i calculate it in my head..
30x50=1500
+30x4=1620
+7x50=1970
+7x4=1998
takes like 2 seconds max

haha what the fuck? I'm from VA and definitely was taught the bottom way, never seen it solved with whatever that is on top(multiplication table?)

i went to both private and public and they used common core way. NoVA though so maybe different from whatever you hicks in the south do