So, what "modern" characters have basically become classics at this point? I would say Venom, Deadpool...

So, what "modern" characters have basically become classics at this point? I would say Venom, Deadpool, and Carnage qualify....love or hate any of them, they are some of Marvels most well known and popular characters and have been for decades

My criteria for "modern" I suppose would be created during the 80s or 90 at the oldest.....what other characters would you say this applies to? When it comes to DC you would have to say Bane and Harley, but what about Doomsday?

Hellboy.

Harley Quinn
X-23
Venom
Deadpool
Carnage
Blue Beetle (Mexican)
Batgirl (Cass Cain)

Modern Luthor. His corrupt corporate executive and human supremacist self wasn't a thing until the late 80s at the absolute earliest, prior to the Crisis he was a generic mad scientist.

>prior to the Crisis he was a generic mad scientist.
He wasn't a "generic mad scientist", he was THE mad scientist.

Mad scientists of that stripe are a far older concept than Luthor, and he wasn't even the most dangerous mad scientist in Superman's rogues gallery.

No Bane?

Constintine

The Ultra-Humanite has him beat by a year.

Some of the 80s/90s X-Men, specifically Gambit and Cable.

I would include Bane and Harley.

It's mostly characters centered around the big franchises of the time, like X-Men and Batman.

Savina is THE Mad Scientist.

Sivana, you doofus.

Jessica Jones is definitely up there now, after her Netflix show. I'd argue the Runaways are about to be in a similar position. And over at DC, Renee Montoya from the GCPD and Superboy Connor Kent haven't gone anywhere.

>superboy Conner Kent haven't gone anywhere

user, I...

Bane
Maestro
Doomsday
Red and Yellow Lanterns
Hobgoblin, if he counts (1983, so maybe too early)

Sivana trumps him, motherfucker. Now THAT was the the comic book mad scientist.

Alt-Hero.

To add onto Spawn
Savage Dragon
The Mask
Manchester Black

>80's
>modern

user, are you yanking my chain

Bane
Spawn

Pickle Rick.

Cable
Jubilee
Spawn
Witchblade
Lady Death
Thunderstrike
Bane
Doomsday
Lobo

>80s
>old

You must be 18+ to post here son

So, Venom is just yandere for Peter Parker?

You won't call 40 years old movie new, right?

In a way

In the grand scheme of the comic industry? Sure, Venom was created in the 80s and he's a character lots of people here witnessed when he was still "new"

Kamala Khan

Venom isn't 30 years old yet, much less 40.

Would carnage really count? I get he pops up a lot in spidy crossovers. But he hasn't seemed to quite cut into the casual markets and head space like Venom has.

Isn't runaways getting put on some side premium abc channel?

Has TS been used since the 00s? Or M2 for that matter?

No, she's not. Maybe in 10 years, if Marvel will be smart about her.

I would wager that pre MCU, Carnage would have been one of the top Marvel characters by fan vote. These days I don't know if he'd make that cut, but he's still quite popular especially among 90s kids.

She is on it's way unfortunately.

Kamalah Kahn
Miles Morales
America
Squirrel girl
Carl Danvers
Amadaeos Cho

Do people like Morales? I always saw him as a younger Parker

>Renee Montoya
well I'm still waiting on Question Rebirth so I'd say she's fucking gone somewhere

Yah no.
No, see while Miles may be pushed as hard as say Venom was, nobody actually likes Miles. Venom got a push because the fan response was positive, Miles is the opposite, this is what's wrong with modern day Marvel.

Miles was one of the few guys they moved from ultimate to main universe. Either readers like him or Marvel likes him.

It is mix, the fact that he is black didn't help much.

Bendis likes him

Bendis?
...Brian Michael Bendis?

Brian Michael Bendis?
A comic book writer?

I thought the current cutoff for "modern" was 2000-ish. Even in the grand scheme of comics, 17 years is kind of pushing it.

Meh, I mean I know it's wishful thinking but I assume a lot of people here are in their late 20s and older. All the underageb&s and early 20s I imagine are in the SU/Star threads and shitposting about Gwenpool.

In any case, I don't think it's out of bounds for anyone who actually grew up during the 90s to call these characters "modern", of course in the context of the thread, it would take being around at least ten years and still be popular to be considered "classic" if not more, so the context is kind of different too considering the point of the thread is newer characters who have established themselves as being classics for newer generations.

Venom and Agent Venom eventually

Venom is nowhere near a classic. Actually he is a joke, a "video game boss", with a nice character design but zero good comics.

Doctor Doom is classic, a character known for decades, that was in million selling comics and has classics like Triunph and Torment and that managed to survive into this day being relevant even after the FF ban.
Venom was a thing in the 90's. Most normies aren't even aware that Eddie Brock hasn't been Venom for more than 10 years.

And Carnage is just edgy Venom. All this "I am you, but more powerful, and EVIL" is really lame, it's somethign a dumb kid would create. Venom was evil, stronger Spider-Man, but then they created Carnage as an edgier Venom and tried to make Venom a hero. Lame, although I like both Carnage and Venom designs.

X-23 is just a bad fanfic-tier character.
I don't believe that in 20 years Jessica Jones will be remembered.

You guys don't know what the fuck a classic is, you guys don't have a clue. A character isn't a classic just because you found it cool decades ago. And it's hard to have a new classic when no one reads modern comics.
Harley Quinn may be a classic, but this is thanks to the cartoons.

So Anything that is good and from the 90s?
The Sandman
Hellboy
Spawn
Witchblade
Bane
H Quinn
Doomsday
Spidergirl
Sonic
Many many more.....

I'm older than Venom and even I stopped thinking of him as modern over a decade ago.

Hence him becoming "classic", he's modern compared to the majority of recurring villains, and yet he's stuck decades after his debut while other characters introduced in the 80s and 90s faded into obscurity, not only that, but is one of the most iconic Marvel characters period.

>Venom is nowhere near a classic. Actually he is a joke, a "video game boss", with a nice character design but zero good comics.
Never read a bad Venom comic till Marvel Knights, you didn't read them or you hate Venom....which, another reason why he is "modern", he still has oldfags hating on him for not being part of the 50s/60s

>Doctor Doom is classic
Doom is boring at this point

>Venom was evil, stronger Spider-Man
Venom was more than that, if you read any of those comics you would know Venom was the most original character of his time, he was never EVER presented as "evil", it was always "I'm the good guy" with Venom, some other villains took that on but even Magneto, the posterboy of sympathetic villains started out as a Hannah Barbara esque BWAHAHAH I LOVE EVIL AND TORTURE AND I AM SUPREME guy

Venom will go on to sell more shirts, hats, and toys than doom, he is more iconic and always will be ever since his inception, sorry Doomboi, hope your boipussy isn't hurting

why do people like Witchblade

who knew Todd MacFarlane posted on Sup Forums

Yeah a lot of 90's shit basically. 00's people like Jamie Reyes and X-23 don't quite feel classic to me yet.

Bewbs

Spawn is also a classic, probably the most iconic non Marvel or DC character there is. Sorry oldman.

you're a hack and all your work is trash,Todd

Uh huh. Keep jerking off to idealistic fantasies of the "goold old days" old man. Villains should be bank robbers, mad scientists, or would be world rulers exclusively!

Non creative asswipe.

go cry about how Marvel stole Miracleman from you

Sorry fag that's Cop Man from Walky Dead.

What?
Non super hero comics don't count as comics

why didn't Danger Girl catch on

how does it make you feel that a dumb zombie comic is more popular than Spawn ever was

Nobody even knows that is a comic, it's not relevant

Spawn was relevant all the way into the 00s just on brand recognition

In comics, it takes a long time for shit to stop being considered new by mainstream people. Alias is over a decade old and yet when the Netflix show was made, people touted Jessica Jones as a new Marvel character

Really haven't been reading recent comics. Kamala Khan always sounds like an 80's wrestling heel to me every time I see that name and I alway shave to remind myself it's a new superhero.

I still don't even know what Kamala is. She has big hands?

Squirrel girl

Jason Todd as Red Hood
Tim and Damian seem to be pretty well known by now by which I mean people are aware there are a few different Robins

Is Red Hood really popular?

>X-23
eeh. I wouldn't really consider Femmeverine classic. Jubes on the other hand, I'd say pre vamp Jubes is a classic, but then most if not all the characters that showed up in the 90s x-toon are classic.

She has varying degrees of shapeshifting, depending on the writer. Sometimes she's malleable enough to do Plastic Man stuff, sometimes she's mildly rubbery, while other times her powers are mostly limited to changing size and basic stretching.

On it's own, yeah. It only really hates him after being rejected, then shacking up with another lunatic who absolutely hates him.

Flash helped resolve the emotional trauma, but there was still a ways left to go and then Costa happened and Marvel needs to be fucking firebombed.

Is symbiote even sentient? From the stuff I read, it was more of a single-minded predator.

It used to be CLOSER to that, more in line with a vibe similar to Alien, and The Thing(not the Marvel Thing)....but it was still sentient regardless, it talked at times usually in pretty primitive ways, it liked Eddie

This all changed when they made an awful retcon, but they seem to be now working to take things back to the old ways

Let's not pretend Flash was any good as Venom just because he had some good stories for a brief time in history

Given how hard it is for new characters to break into Marvel/DC capeshit, yeah.

It's sapient, capable of logic, reason, and even speech. It developed slowly from monosyllabics and single words with early Eddie and grew from there.
It's got this sort of Oedipal thing with Spider-Man, because it first developed a separate consciousness while attached to him and its separation anxiety drives it to replace him or reattach, so it sees him as a parent and a mate. Basically, a shoggoth developed self-awareness, and self-confidence, after being psychically connected to a human brain and doesn't know how to deal with that.
The symbiote on its own is really interesting, even compelling, but usually takes a backseat to the human drama for 90% of whatever story it's in.

>Venom is a definite yes.
>Carnage, not so much.
>Squirrel Girl, although it's unfortunately due to the Virtue Signalling USG which is the very worst writing and art that's ever been attached to her.
>Kamala Khan is sticking around.
>Red Hood (Jason Todd) is so well known among the non-comic-reading Batfans that he's never going away.
>Harley Quinn, too
>Corporado Luthor
>Atrocitus
>Hellboy
>Spawn

The newest I can think is Hush, but I am not sure he is THAT classic

Negan? Gwenpoole? Kenan Kong?

Larfleeze?

I don't think a character has "Made it" unless It gets recognition outside of comics. Did Larfleeze even show up in the animated series? I love the bastard, but it's pretty much just GL fans and readers that know of him.

Negan is gonna be a classic. I am sure of it.

Gwen is eh... if the writers can write her well outside of Hastings she will.

I don't know who Kenan Kong is, but apparently he's chinese superman?

I feel like if you're going 25-30 years back, they can't be considered modern anymore.

I know its just to distinguish them from characters that have been around since the 60s, but its still a shit way to describe something thats old enough to drink.

Chinese Super-Man seems pretty popular on Sup Forums but no idea where else so it's really hard to say whether his Rebirth solo will have staying power among DC fans.

I'm going to also say Doctor Aphra from the Star Wars comics, she seems really popular in the fandom but I have no idea if she'll be popular enough to get her own movie or have normies instantly recognize her and stuff.

Well you have to last for at least a generation or two to be considered classic anyway the way I see it, they are what you call "modern classics"

She-Hulk

Toyo Harada

Well, technically prior to Crisis he had become a deranged Doom (Got his own planet, ended up destroying it due to being unable to stop going to Earth to commit crimes or challenge Superman and then blamed Superman for it even though it was his own fault). It was the origin of his power armor too.

But, yeah, executive Lex is all post-crisis.

Did Hope Summers end up doing anything post-Messiah Complex enough for her to become a legacy character? I'm also going to say Hit-Monkey, if he's in Deadpool 2 I feel like he could prove popular with the mainstream audiences.

Wonky release schedule. They pushed stuf like Spawn and Witchblade more at Image

I guess I could agree with that.

In which case I'd nominate Mr. Zsasz, who's shown up in the Nolan movies, the Arkham games, and the Telltale game.

>Did Larfleeze even show up in the animated series?
Yes.

Zsasz was in Nolan movies?

no

Madman
Hellboy
Savage Dragon
Usagi Yojimbo
The Maxx
TMNT
Lobo
HQ
Mr Nobody and the Brotherhood of Dada
Dream and the endless family
Venom
Jesse Custer

He's in Begins, the skinhead with the scars, I think they mention his name once. He also shows up in Gotham, but then again, they're all over the place on villains both modern and classic.

Come to think of it, I'd hardly call Orca a classic character, but she's shown up in Injustice and the Lego Batman Movie, and Sup Forums seems to have suddenly started loving her.

Orca is kind of a meme character, mostly because how dumb she is

People always forget that Lobo was popular as fuck in the 90's. Stan Lee at the time said he was his favorite DC character.

The late 80's/early 90's was pretty much the last time you had lots of popular new Big Two characters because of the creator owned boom and the market explosion.

And he still gets around. He had a bunch of episodes in JLAction, he was in B:TAS and TBatB. And his crossover with Wile-E Coyote recently.

Not to mention his own legacy character. (Does nuLobo count as legacy? He wasn't OG Lobo, but he was passed off as him for a while.)