Could he have been a good Luthor?

Could he have been a good Luthor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l_yoe_U04_g
youtube.com/watch?v=bCdQMkgiq8o
theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone
screenrant.com/dceu-new-name-dc-films/
youtube.com/watch?v=KAUmncOVWwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe with a better script and director he could have done better.

This a big miscast.

He'd have to be a good actor first

I think so. They went the wrong way by making him manic instead of methodical. Even as a "young Luthor" it doesn't work.

I see what they were going for, since Hackman and Spacey were pretty manic, and they were trying to combine that version with Mark Facebookberg. But it didn't come off like he was in control of anything. He seemed to just keep showing up and acting funny for a few minutes. We didn't see him actually doing anything, it was all just implied.

Even though the script was shit I blame Eisenberg more since he definitely came up with the manic personality. I wonder if it would have worked if they did basically the same script, but with him playing the character more as a traditional Luthor.

>could have
He was.

He WAS Luthor in the Social Network which is why it is insane that he played it as a weird Joker ripoff.

Michael Rosenbaum would have been a choice cast.
youtube.com/watch?v=l_yoe_U04_g

I don't know if I'd cast him specifically but his portrayal would have been perfect, it's a great combination of keeping him young but still imposing.

His speech alone on the final episode of Smallville sealed the deal for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=bCdQMkgiq8o

No.

Get rid of the autistic ticks and he's honestly not too bad. But then again no wonder people don't like it when you take Birthright Lex and put him in a story that requires him to be a more typical luthor

Hot O'Pinion: Spacey was a great Luthor.

Most people agree with that. He channeled the good parts of Hackman without the general "I don't give a shit" attitude he seemed to have.

Best part of that movie.

I don't think so. Lex needs to be a physically imposing guy. Eisenberg just isn't, although the script was so shitty it didn't matter who they cast. I just hope they recast Lex with Snyder gone.

Him and Leto, I'm in awe that Snyder was allowed to fuck up their two biggest villains. Lex needs to be recasted and Leto needs a fucking redesign.

>Lex needs to be a physically imposing guy.

He's supposed to represent the peak of humanity and therefore hates Superman because that level is unobtainable. It makes sense for him to be huge and imposing.

>He's supposed to think he represents the peak of humanity
ftfy

>he was offered olsen
>he could be the ginger nervous guy
>he wanted a bigger part
>he convinced snyder to do luthor his way

He's at least 5% responsible for the badness of the movie, on a decision level.

No, he hates Superman because he doesn't understand the concept of selflessness and thinks Superman is a fraud gloryhound.

Lex could easily give himself superpowers if he wanted to. He doesn't care about that.

"Could have"?

Is it offical then? DC Cinematic Universe is dead?

He would have made a better Joker, the way he played it.

They added the "ticks" because little ticks really gave life to the Joker as done by Heath Ledger; the face twinges, the licking the lips, every little thing.

They just imitated it without understanding it, which is fucking embarrassing for a professional fucking director.

>Lex could easily give himself superpowers if he wanted to
He does want powers though

It was pretty obvious that Synder intened for Lex to develop and change thought the movies ti where he becomes the Lex we all know and love. Too bad we will never see what would happen.
I only liked Lex for the shitposting

Different versions maybe. Luthor wanting superpowers was a plot in 52. In other versions he wants to beat Superman as a man to show hes better.

>Is it offical then? DC Cinematic Universe is dead?

Yes, at least in the form it was originally conceived:

theverge.com/2017/9/29/16387706/wonder-woman-batman-dc-expanded-cinematic-universe-warner-bros-standalone

The future for DC movies is standalone films from now on.

They're even saying the DCEU was never the name of the concept and came from a joke:

screenrant.com/dceu-new-name-dc-films/

He auditioned for Jimmy Olsen, which sparked an idea in Snyder's head: "DUDE WHAT IF LUTHOR WAS A AWKWARD NERD LMOA"

Snyder thought he was SO incredibly clever by making a version of Luthor that nobody expected. Unfortunately, it was absolutely awful and he would have been better off playing it safe.

He was you're just too stupid to understand what Snyder was doing with him.

was the pee thing supposed to be funny??

No. Anything other than S:TAS/JL/JLU Luthor and maybe Gene is trash.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Batman v Superman. The drama is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of continental philosophy most of the scenes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Batman's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these scenes, to realize that they're not just comic book fluff - they say something deep about LIFE.

As a consequence, people who dislike Batman v Superman truly ARE idiots - of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the depths found in the existential “Martha” dialogue, which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons.

I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Zack Snyder's genius unfolds itself on the silver screen. What fools... how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, I DO have a Batman v Superman tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only - and even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

ah yes meme it up because you have no clue what you're talking about. Have fun with your mcu shit while I'll be rewatching some Kino :^)

>It was pretty obvious that Synder intened for Lex to develop and change thought the movies ti where he becomes the Lex we all know and love.
Just like Superman right? Give me a break user.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Christian mythology most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Luthor's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from The Holy Bible, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Batman V Superman truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Luthor's existencial catchphrase "Ding ding dingding dingding ding ding ding ding," which itself is a cryptic reference to Alan Moore's The Watchmen. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Zack Snyder's genius unfolds itself on their movie screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have a Jolly Rancher tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

The problem he went full Dr Sivana INSTEAD of Lex Luthor

Indeed! The simpletons! I'm having a hearty chortle imagining all of the MCU drones missing out on the defining kino of the early 21st century.

This but unironically

Enjoying your chortle, then?

>Batman v Superman. The drama is extremely subtle

Ah yes, Zack Snyder's hallmark, subtlety

>not understanding the subtle and nuanced themes
lol how I pity you

A counterhook, I see

BvS is the least subtle movie ever. WW literally clicks on personalized icons of the justice league founder logos which are their first appearance in this universe.

LOL pick up a fucking book before you try and even approach the intricate majesty of BvS. You're like a toddler trying to comprehend "A Critique of Pure Reason".

>Nitpicking such a small part of a beautiful and vast movie
I see you can only focus on things that are not important and not the themes and allegories. Oh what a sad life you must live

No.
Script and director aside Eisenberg has one character; a smarmy wuss that stammers when excited. I've seen him in six or seen movies now and he's never deviated from that.

He can play intelligent, wrathful, and egotistical.

He has all the vital components of a solid Lex Luthor. But that isn't what they gave him to play.

>He's supposed to represent the peak of humanity

So, did you miss the 40 years he was a tubby jackass who almost never changed out of his prison jumpsuit?

It annoys me because they could have made him infinitely better with the prison scene at the end of the movie. They could have shown that prison had hardened him and forced him to ditch his juvenile prattling, making him into a confident, calculated genius who is always in charge of the room. Instead they made him cry like a bitch ass, punk ass, faggot ass, pussy ass, bitch ass nigga.

youtube.com/watch?v=KAUmncOVWwM

Objectively best Lex.