Does DC have a current time that it takes place in...

Does DC have a current time that it takes place in? I mean it can't be 2017 or else Batman and Supes would have to be in their 80s.

>he doesnt understand sliding time

eh hehehehehehe

they finally slid punisher and it make him trash

Here's my question: if there was a definitive time period DCU were to be set in: which do you feel would fit best?

By default, I kind of want to say '1930's', maybe stick it in the 50's if I was feeling lazy and didn't want to write out how DCU heroes might have affected World War II.

Honestly i think just making something a period piece is better in the long run.

Certain characters benefit from different periods more than others though.

Somewhere inbetween 1974 and 1986

Do you retards not know about the New 52? they don't even have to use that yet, since now Superheroes just showed up around 2000

Wrong.

New 52 made it so everyone was roughly 5 years in when it started, then it changed slowly over time to be the regular "roughly 10-15 years" that it was prior.

Earth 1 and Earth 2. Shove parts of post crisis on earth sigma.

Nu52 was 5 years then rebirth is 15.

Anyways that's it.

>Certain characters benefit from different periods more than others though.

Very true there, but I think half the fun would be trying to figure out how each character gets adapted to the narrowed down time period.

>Honestly i think just making something a period piece is better in the long run.

Yes, and no. I mean, personally, I do agree it's better overall to keep things within a time period since it gives a sense of scale and the ability for an author to write out the progression of moving time.

But! from the DC Comics view: it's a pit that will ultimately deny them the needless, eternal propagation of their storylines.

It's sent in the present unless it's a story set in the past or future.

It changes- normally its around current year til the timeline slides too much and then they reboot it. Pre-crisis was wartime & after, Post-crisis they were shifted ahead to have not participated etc.

I actually really like it when they do projects with a singular set time line like New Frontier or Young Justice- makes it feel more real when you can tie it in to a particular era of style.

Threadly reminder that capeshit would be infinitely better if the characters had been allowed to age in realtime right from the beginning and eventually be replaced by their offspring/successors/someone else. Also be nice if they tried out new story ideas instead of redoing things like Secret Wars and Crisis over and over again.

>Threadly reminder that capeshit would be infinitely better if the characters had been allowed to age in realtime right from the beginning and eventually be replaced by their offspring/successors/someone else. Also be nice if they tried out new story ideas instead of redoing things like Secret Wars and Crisis over and over again.

Then you will get friends that will bitch about characters being forgotten.

Sliding timeline.

Okay, here's my issue: Why are some places, like gotham, still depicted like it's the 80s?

>Then you will get friends that will bitch about characters being forgotten.
Meh, a small price to pay. I just want to read a story about, say Blue Beetle's grandson pondering does he really want to do this superheroing thing, or is it because it's the "family tradition." Or the daughter of a supervillain being harassed and watched just because of who she is. Or the effect that almost 80 years of super beings have had on things like science, space exploration, and society in general. I wish there was an ongoing mainstream cape-verse out there like that.

I'm not up to date with much Marvel shit but have they somehow slid Magneto yet?

Because it's a fucking fictional city and if they don't want it to be as faggy as real life cities for the purpose of accuracy and nothing else in a world with fucking superheroes and aliens and a bunch of other shit then they're entitled to do that?

>I'm not up to date with much Marvel shit but have they somehow slid Magneto yet?

Magneto was de-aged once. They just slide that instead.

you'll want to read astro city then. its great!

Because nobody gives a fuck about gotham for any reason except it's outstanding criminal justice program.

The universities that is.

It could be 2017 since it's set in the DCAU universe which started in 1992. But if you went by real time, it would make Bruce approximately 50-55 at most and I'd say he's probably supposed to be closer to 70+ in the series, well enough to do some of the stuff shown in the comics and the TV show, but not so that he wouldn't be retired. It really doesn't make sense because such a future would provide medical benefits and advances, plus despite injuries and damage, his physical activity and other things he would do for his 'mission' would have enhanced his cognitive and physical performance irrespective of age, given that it's been shown that it's not literal aging that causes some of the degradation that is common in older people, but their lack of both mental and physical challenges, to simplify things, to continue to 'train' their brains and bodies for peak performance.

Batman Beyond has no relationship to either the pre-Flashpoint main DC universe, nor to the New 52 or Rebirth DC universe. It happens in it's own Earth (Earth 50 per Multiversity). Even though Forever Evil and Future's End try to shoe-horn Terry into the main universe and booted a version of Tim into the Batman Beyond universe, that's about as connected to then or current mainline universe as Future's End remains. It was essentially a sop to normies and casuals so they wouldn't be confused by, as another user said, the concept of sliding time or the concept of a multiverse.

The problem with this is that the sheer length for some characters would make it problematic (e.g. Batman being approximately 100) and people not being able to deal with new Batmen taking over (even though Wally West and Barry taking over for Jay puts that argument to rest). Also most writers (even the Byrne series first user points to) has to take into account variances in the way some people age, not just Clark but for example Diana, or Jonn or any of the alien or even the magic based characters. I mean, as Zatarra would also be about 100 (probably older) today, is Zatanna would have to be older, even if you suggested Zatarra was an older man (like David Letterman) when she was born. I presume magic users probably age slower than a normal human, although that likely depends on the writers, since Tim Hunter seems to have aged normally.

The other problem is that one year in comics equals one year out of comics doesn't really work, especially with the increase in multi-part arcs, a lot of which only take place over a couple days.

When it comes to years in Marvel and DC, try not to think about it.

Seriously, just don't. If you try to apply logic to it for five seconds it all falls apart. Just ignore it.

This user knows what's up.