Rick & Morty solidified its shark jumping status

This season was essentially like Principle and the Pauper for Rick and Morty. It punished the viewer for being invested in characters and just returned things to square one after a bunch of completely out of line shit.

>Season refers to Rick as a god, something that he openly denounces even to his own creations from other characters to hyperbolic his unfathomable character

>Season attempt to have character development but all that shit is hastely thrown out the window to return to square one

>Beth's need to be independence and need to discover herself that has been alluded to since Mr. Meeseeks is quelled in one episode of finding out that she is "smart" and much like her psychotic father, and with that she can move forward as her own "self"

>Morty's struggles with a lack of a proper male figure and the strife he has with his father negligence, incompetence, and lack of fortitude that was conveyed with Armothy is completely thrown out when Morty without much consideration decides to live and reunite with his family despite seeing how bad his parents are for eachother and why his dad is a shitty person

>Summer lives through her own trials Hemorrhage to see what rushed and undeveloped relationships are and how she needs mature herself, but this is thrown out the window in all subsequent episodes as she just acts like a bitchy and self-indulgent teenager, a mouthpiece for the writers agendas, and still is enabling her parents shitty marriage in the end despite her one episode of development where she should know better

>Jerry lives endless lifetimes and learns to stop being a fucking leech to better himself post-marriage, but then gets returned to square one 2 episodes later and now is back to being a piece of shit

[continued in next post]

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iK7lICvUhCI
drive.google.com/file/d/0B4P7O9YLzLk3dndNNUtFY2hpa0E/view
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>the long as scene with the psychiatrist that was 9 miles of exposition that told rather than showed and just felt lethargic

>The end where Beth breaks the 4th wall

>The end where Beth breaks the 4th wall and literally conveys that this all was a roundabout way to shittily return to the status quo, meaning the entire season was a waste to pay attention to, and that rather than do the defacto means of going to square one through some science fiction notion like the end of Cronenberg world that weighed heavy and went with the tone of the show, had AN ENTIRE SEASON have a boring divorce narrative story arc that never mattered in the end, didn't develop anything, and left half of the season feeling like a boring drama sitcom rather than an absurdist science fiction romp.

And on top of all that, all the smaller things that just pull at the fabric of the characters and theme of the show that completely shows the new writers are nipping at the original premise that made the show good:

>Rick having insecurities suddenly in Vindicators about appearing anti-semitic

>Morty's speech about hurting girls self-respect by liking more attractive girls then mutating the guy for it

>Summers "racist, sexist, manipulative" speech scene altogether

>Beth's manic actions and attitudes being justified just because she is "smart" according to Rick without any conveyance of how

>Both the Morty's Mindblowers and Evil Morty story arcs being isolated episodes while the major focus of the entire season was A FUCKING DIVORCE DRAMA ARC THAT DIDN'T MATTER

Beth literally announces at the end that this is all to put them back at square one from season 1, but with Beth no longer having negative character traits or motivations that make her dependent at all.

Don't forget that in vindicators drunk rick said that isreal is a consistent evil place and a blight on humanity for defense budgets and world conflict and that sober Rick is supportive of isreal itself, but now I'm the fly he just fixed in 5 minutes.

The episode clearly showed a flanderization of Rick with his fight with the president. It ticked all the marks
- nihilism
- atheism
- youre smart / im a fucking genius
- you're all stupid
- inexcliable super science removing any tension or conflict
- using a pop culture reference by actual first names to explain things rather show through satire (literally saying starwars, Dr. Who, and blade runner.)

You lost Rick

>Beth is smart
>Never explain how or why she is "smart"
>She can now break the forth wall
>Has essentially been the main character of a good portion of the season with her divorce being the crux of the story
>Literally announces to the audience that we are gonna go back to season 1 but without Beth having to enable Rick because she is afraid of leaving because now she is in control of herself and her life and her house.

Is this the power of their new writers?

the fight scene with the president felt more like chicken/peter than anything else.

the fight scene in thw purge episode was amazing not because of the gore but because it represented and canalized the resentment of the normal people for the ultra rich. it meant something. the rick/trump alegory fight was just 2 big egos slapping dicks.

Not wrong and you have the right to be upset. There was a lot of ins and outs this season and I it didn't have a lot of pay off. I'm betting on the Evil Morty thing to be the slowest burn ever but hopefully it pays off in some meaningful way.
This season did, however feature "In the City" by Joe Walsh. So season 3 is better than 2 in my book. My book is also full of pop rock.

there is absolutely no reason Morty, summer, or Beth should trust or want to be with Jerry.

He literally is a leech who even after eons of time with Rick trying to learn about and develop himself, is still a weak self-centered aloof parasite idiot who has done nothing to Garner the acceptance of his family.

He fucking sided with the galactic federation, tried to sue Beth for custody, threw his kids under the bus rather than break up with a space Amazon, and admits he is a caustic piece of shit who won't change.

Why would Beth love him now suddenly? Why can Beth now break the 4th wall? Why do they treat Rick like shit when this season he has been the nicest he has ever been to the family.

I enjoyed this episode.

Much like TTGo, seeing the butthurt autism on /co is kind of an extra bonus

the episode 10 beth is a clone made by rick to his specification. he probably added some of his own 4th wall awareness in the mix.

>because it represented and canalized the resentment of the normal people for the ultra rich

Holy shit have you been reading too much into this show. If that fight had any kind of significant meaning to you I can guarantee it was purely coincidental.

Literally, the premise of the episode was 'hey let's make fun of The Purge' and you're extrapolating some kind of depth from the thing they're making fun of. Are you blown away by the philosophical depth of Matrix spoofs too?

Shows that use parodies of movie titles as episode titles are shit. Case in point: R&M

>this season is an episode of the simpsons

You're dumb.

>Beth literally announces at the end that this is all to put them back at square one from season 1, but with Beth no longer having negative character traits or motivations that make her dependent at all.

bet jerry will fuck it up since he's not used to having a wife that loves him. the marriage should be perfect, but it won't be.

During th last few weeks, when somebody complained about the excessive violence in the third season, somebody would always jump out of the woodwork to call that person a pearl-clutching grandma or some shit to that effect.

But I finally realize what exactly bothered me about it. Used to be, the bloodbath were few and far between, and they served some sort of purpose - maybe to illustrate a point, maybe as an example of hypocritical humor, maybe something else.
This season, it was almost always just for the sake of having a fight scene. It's like lightsaber duels in the Original Trilogy vs. the Prequels - sure, there's more of them, and there's more IN them, but so what? Without a larger point to them, it's just a bunch of faggots swinging lightsticks around, and I can see THAT in any trance club.
Alternatively, the fights in this season are like Family Guy's "Peter vs. Giant Chicken" fights.

The Pickle Rick fights were sorta fun because they kinda felt like there was something at stake. Kinda.
But the president fight just felt like a time waster, and a has-seen. It was basically the same fight as the Tinyverse one, science bullshit vs science bullshit. And it also felt like it was going nowhere because none of the president stuff felt like it had any weight to it. It wasn't season finale material.
On the other hand it feels like there should have been one more episode before Beth's change and one more episode after. To just jump in and pose the clone question feels rushed.

I didn't bother with this season because i didn't enjoy 2 much but was there clear signs of him listening to his fans too much like he did in community.

Either this , the theory that this Morty is Evil Morty and turned the family on rick to keep him from adventuring with family, or we're thinking too hard over some compromise the writing team came up with because they're fed up with this season.

>yfw Harmon just wanted to make a fuck you season because Trump won and 2/3rds of the US are literally nazis.

"The Vindicators say their job is to fight evil wherever it hides, but they don't Pick the location you'll You'll never hear them even mention, because to fight darkness is to fight yourself."

that doesn't sound like "israel is a consistent evil and a blight on humanity", it just sounds like he's saying there are some bad people in powerful positions there

Holy shit you're not supposed to take the episode at face value.

The return to status quo is misdirection, the real pull is supposed to be that Rick, for all his genius just makes things worse while the rest of the family finds the most happiness they've had in years by eschewing his worldview.

This is NOT a return to status quo. This is Rick's rock bottom. He's lost his control over Beth and the family that he's had ever since season 1. They've realized that they can be happy without him. In fact they're probably happier without him. For all his godlike powers, he's lost the one element of control that was a given from the start of the show.

>the rick/trump alegory fight was just 2 big egos slapping dicks.
Yeah, that was the point. That's why Morty got sick of it and left.

you already posted this in another thread; doesn't really deserve its own.

I thought it was great. They shat in all the shitposter's and psychotically obsessed fan's mouths.

only good part of the ep

>the episode 10 beth is a clone
Hm no sweetie: youtube.com/watch?v=iK7lICvUhCI

Yeah, the conflict with the President was entertaining and it was nice that Jerry and (clone)Beth are happy. But they probably shouldn't have built up Tammy, Evil Morty and whoever the fuck else this season.

I disagree. I never believe they would spend more than one episode a season dedicated to a specific plot like that.

How the fuck does anyone care about the overarching plot of Rick and Morty? It's so cobbled together and only gets development in credits stingers once or twice a season.

Season 3 is better than Season 2 because the show stopped trying to be deeper than it actually is and accepted its strength, being a silly Back to the Future parody where the humor comes from wacky adventures and the two lead characters hating each other. The only bad episode was Rickmancing of the Stone.

Are you joking dude? This season was super pretentious.

>Rick vs Luffy

Who wins?

>h-how dare they call my God Rick Sanchez (pbuh) o-on his bullshit, th-the writers just don't understand the magnitude of my genius

I really wish people would draw her more "feral" looking, instead of going straight up scaly, or just a stripper Deathclaw.

B-but darkest year of their adventures...

So? It's Rick. He can just come up with a memory-altering gun and make everybody feel the way he wants them to.

What really killed the show was Rick turning into literally god that can do whatever he wants. No constraints to his character, no room for real development.

How?
I'll give you some stuff ABCs of Beth and the first two episodes. But Vindicators, the Jerry vacation, Toxic Morty, Morty's Mindblowers and Tales of the Citadel took a piss out of the characters, and the adventures were goofy movie parodies.

This season felt like a return to form after the second half of Season 2 went up its ass and started treating Rick as the main character and a God. The biggest complaint from the most recent episode is that its got nothing to do with bullshit like Tammy or Evil Morty and didn't spend time on character development.

>Morty's struggles with a lack of a proper male figure and the strife he has with his father negligence, incompetence, and lack of fortitude that was conveyed with Armothy is completely thrown out when Morty without much consideration decides to live and reunite with his family despite seeing how bad his parents are for eachother and why his dad is a shitty person

I hate to take the bait, but... I'm gonna be honest here: this seems a bit off.

Morty has shown growth and independence from Rick and everyone.

As Healthy!Morty he had a chance to live a life away from them and see what he could do on his own if he set his mind to it. We've seen him confront and call out Rick multiple times and even his own mother, he's gained veterans experience with adventures to the point where this one bored him out of his mind.

And in the end, he's content to live with his family because, at least for now, Jerry and Beth's marital issues seem gone, and the whole family has found the fortitude and will to stand up to Rick.

Thinking about it, plenty of people talk about how Jerry is back to being the man of the house, but seeing how Morty seems to have taken the lead in finding them a safe house, etc.

One could even infer Rick's problem is that MORTY has become the man of the house and like a once abused child isn't afraid of Rick anymore.

it's a show and you should probably just relax

>sweetie
get the fuck out of here

Probably.

Problem is, half of my relaxation of something is usually overthinking it. It takes a special kind of show for me to honestly be AFRAID of trying to overthink it. like Your Name. god,
that movie was beautiful and perfect.

This season tried to push character development rather than goofy stories. It ended up coming out as boring

>whaaaaaaa Rick isn't a Gary Stu edgelord self-insert anymore, how can I project my insecurities on him when he's not perfect and boring whaaaa

The best part of the finale was the refreshing ocean of edgelord tears.

I think the episode isn't as chess-tier as guy you're replying to does, but Rick is probably pretty bummed because he's learned that the default state is against him, which probably stings whether he can change it or not.

>Rick vs the Galactic Federation (Or whatever it was called)
>Resolved in an episode
>All family conflict
>Resolved in an episode

Do they just not believe in overarching plots or something?

Best laugh was the invisitroopers being sad they couldn't be bad ass and the president making fun of them for it.

So according to Rick, Jeffery Dahmer is a genius. Moreso than Albert Einstein because he did what he wanted with no conscience?

Obviously if Rick cloned Beth he would have removed the whole cloning conversation from her memory to avoid such an issue. Beth no a clone confirmed.

My favorite part was when riick smoked the weed with the brown people to make them stop fightin! Why can't real governemnts jsut smoke weed and be happy?

>Do they just not believe in overarching plots or something?
They actually don't, that's sort of the point.

Then why bother wasting everyone's time setting up the blocks of a plot just to throw them out the window and glare at the audience for expecting something?

Pickle Rick killed people effortlessly until he had to fight Danny Trejo. I found that episode mostly pointless and not funny

>governemnts
user are you smoking weed right now

>science bullshit vs science bullshit

Aw man, that's my favorite part though

The way I saw it, Rick lost hard, his whole plan in the first episode to destroy everything he had a problem with and become the central male figure in his family failed by the end of the season, with Jerry back in the picture, his daughter not idolizing him anymore, and Evil Morty now in control of the citadel.

It's called shitty writing

Because Rick is a lying mass murderer. He has definitely abandoned his family in realities he was responsible for fucking up, and for all we know, he's outright killed them himself. Certainly other Ricks have killed and tortured Mortys.Even /ourRick/ knew how many Mortys and a jumper cable could have made a stealth bubble .
Rick, especially the Rick the show centers on, the Rickest Rick, are fucking assholes.Toxic Rick actually gave a shit about Morty because Rick cosniders that a toxic attribute in himself.
Rick is the bad guy.

Yeah, if episode 9 had followed Pickle Rick instead of Vindicators, this season would have turned out somewhat better. I think a Machete order is in order for this season, we stuff ABCs of Beth between Pickle Rick and Vindicators to let the clone aspect seep in for it to burst in the finale with the better episodes 'Whirly-Dirly' to 'Mind Blowers' before hitting the climax with Mortydate.

Really sucks that C-137 had to leave the senpai on such bad terms but at least Fly Fishing Rick's still as Rick-ish as you'd expect from any other Rick from the infinite realities, even suspects that a few details are off. Won't be the same without our old Rick, but the show must go on and I for one welcome Fly Fishing Rick with open arms! #ThankYouC137

Fly Fishing Rick was made up to get on good terms with the president again. Rick says "Here's your stupid hat back Jerry."

>chicken/peter
The fuck, you are right, this episode felt more like a Family Guy episode.
The first conversation between the President and Rick was the Moment i saw mimick and text that reminded me so much of family guy.

Feels a little bit like he writer influence. And it feels like Roiland and Harmon doesnt know what sort of course they want with Rick and Morty. And that they used up all the plot ideas they had.

>Sup Forums says meme and memey need to go back to their roots of season 1
>authors, through an expy announce going back to their roots of season 1
>Sup Forums bitches about it
HOW CAN YOU BE PLEASED?

Not really, Season 3 felt more like trying to be edgy and be deeper than just science adventures. Thats why it felt very much hit and miss.

It had several great ideas and some really good episodes, but this season put Rick very much on the throne of a god and was just a continuation of what you described now for season 2.

what are you talking about? Rick specifically said there was no chance for the clone beth to become blade runner, and if shes a clone thats exactly what he did. Also, why would he make a clone that wants to be with jerry? That undermines the whole plan.
And again, in episode 2, we see what rick can do with clones. He sucks at it.

NOW YOU RUVA WINDA WAIKU
YOU DON KNOW WHATTA YOU WANT

Because they like to troll and prank? Why else should they make Evil Morty a president and than teasing the final season with Morty facing the president but instead it was the president of the united states? Just a set up for trolling the audience. Thats why the episode felt a little bit bland, because they had to hamfist the president of the us into it. The only season end wtf moment should be the Beth a clone or not and that the family is back with rick cornered. But it fall felt because Rick and Morty isnt a Sitcom, has a typical sitcm audience like GoT and had mostly self contained episodes.

Because its not really back to season 1. Its just a streamlined season 1. And noone is really bitching about going back to season 1 stuff andwriting is bad.
Just that many believe it isnt possible for the team to achieve that or just them saying they will but missing to understand what made season 1 great or what they achieved with s2 or they what made some episodes in s3 standout.

>all these brainlets who can't grasp the subtle, nihilistic humor of episode 10

You probably never had an existential thought in your life

Basically, the people who like rick and morty = Rick

The people who don't = Jerry

I could explain more, but you wouldn't understand

best bait desu, the picture and the words are so stupid I have to reply.
however, you gay nigga HAHA

Specifically to anger lorefags, no joke.

I kind of liked this episode. It was just a sort of big 'fuck you' to itself, it lampshaded how nothing in the show mattered or made sense, and it broke the fourth wall explicitly to say 'fuck it, this is what we want to do with the show, we weren't sure how to get there, so here's how things are happening, accept it.'

>Morty got sick of it

This shit annoyed me more than almost anything in Season 3. Morty just jumped straight from a loveable dorky kid being dragged into adventures with his grandpa to an annoying buzzkill that literally doesn't have a problem shooting him. I know Morty always had his moments of being fed up with Rick, but it was always reasonable when it happened and Rick would always end up trying to make up for it by the end of the episode. At the end of the day they were still friends. I wanted to see Morty become more competent and learn from Rick, not reject him entirely and lord his moral compass over literally everyone every episode.

>they tried to develop jerry and beth by having them split up instead of ight all the time
>iinstead half the season felt like a long jerry and beth fight episode
>terrible writing didnt help im looking at you harmon, i watched community, i know who is responsible for pickle rick

Is...is he so fat his eyes closed?

Teasing people with plots is an easy way to get them excited. Actually going through with the plots would require effort.

>rick when he is being written well
when i dont like something i go fix it
>rick when he is writting by hacks
[gets drunk and complains about israel offscreen and then tries to act like he isnt anti semitic]
its not even the passive agressive politics beign shoved into my face, its the fact that its completely out of character, sending rick into the trump dimension wouldnt have made me as mad as this did

Wow, you know most people watch a show to enjoy the product, not be fooled into a different one, right? I don't care if the creator is some meta genius who tricked everyone by wasting their time. pic very related.

I dunno man, as someone who was getting tired of the hackneyed drama of season 3 the finale was a pretty good laugh.

That said this is the sort of shit that only works once. If they try to pull it again I'm going to drop it since there's a difference between taking the piss and being desperate.

I'll start by saying I liked episode 10. I didn't bust nuts over it, but it was entertaining... which, I think, is all this cartoon ever aspired to be - JUST entertaining. I don't think it was ever meant to have a super-serious plot.

That said, I understand why some people are upset. I mean, the writers dangle episodes like "Auto Erotic Assimilation," "Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind," and "Tales of the Citadel" in front of viewers, edging toward a more serious plot-line, then they proceed to blatantly make fun of the fanbase for beginning to take the show more seriously. It's kind of like a bait and switch.

I don't really give a shit either way... I mean, I'm down for more classic, stand-alone adventures, but if they want to take the route of a more consistent plot, that's cool too. However, for the fans who were hyper-invested (even though you should have known better), I do understand where you're coming from. If they wanted a purely wacky, largely inane, sci-fi funfest with no overarching plot, they should have omitted such overly-dramatic episodes. Likewise, if they WANTED to pursue a somewhat more dramatic, overarching plot, they should not have made the entirety of S3 irrelevant and subsequently made fun of their viewers for caring in the season finale. It really is a giant middle finger. I think it's kind of funny, but I also get that some more hardcore fans are pissed off because of it.

My advice to those of you who are asspained over the way this season ended? Don't think about it. :^)

watching television has never made anyone smart

Here's the ep for those of you who missed it or want to rewatch it:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4P7O9YLzLk3dndNNUtFY2hpa0E/view

No, I watched Rachel Maddow, and he tells me exactly what to think to be smart.

how has that been working out for you buddy?

Mine too, but it's still a repeat.

>parasite
>was a normal guy until Rick fucked everything up for him

Yeah okay

I actually think that's a gamegrumps reference. Or that the new youtubered show being made by the Game Grumps referenced this.

Double D Rex.

this was basically saying the show is over, enjoy reruns

Considering Arin was in the finale for season 2 that's actually pretty possible.

OK, then, I'm hearing a lot of complaints, but no suggestions on how to make it better, or even any examples of cartoons that do get it right.

It can also be a reference to 2017's Hugo finalist nominations

They should never have gotten rid of that insect man government, they were the perfect antagonists for Rick. it didnt have to be overtly ruling the world after that one episode but destroying it completely seems to have given the writers a serious drought of ideas for stories

>all this asshurt
For a board full of people who hated how much of a god Rick got turned into you sure are mad now that his role as the patriarchal figurehead of the family was sniped from him and that he's bottom rung on the family ladder. Even Morty wanted to stay with Beth and Jerry.

Rick has always been a little socially conscious. Rick may be a shit person but I don't think antisemitism or sexism, any ism or phobia, is his thing.

if the people who felt that way were here now and had watched the episode, why would they make a thread to complain about it? Idiot.

>being invested in Rick and Morty characters

>Then why bother wasting everyone's time setting up the blocks of a plot just to throw them out the window and glare at the audience for expecting something?
Are the multiple threads crying about this proof that rick and Morty fans are autistic?

Because Sup Forums and most of Sup Forums in general are contrarian as fuck.

Relating to Jerry is ok man, I'm sure she will end up dating you instead of that douchebag who's not a nice guy like you.

>Everyone hates Season 3
>Now people are complaining about the writers effectively erasing it