So, we agree these were the only bad episodes of Season 3?

So, we agree these were the only bad episodes of Season 3?

>implying there were good episodes in season three

>spending time making an image just to further this terrible opinion

I... I honestly don't get what was wrong with Pickle Rick. I mean, yeah, pickle memes, whatever, but I don't see what makes it any worse than something like Anatomy Park

Pickle Rick was pure memekino

I didn't hate the pickle stuff. Yeah, it was kind of shock-based and gratuitously violent, but it was whatever.

The therapy bit was just ridiculously lazy writing. It felt like they wanted to make some revelation about Rick's character, and instead of writing an episode that would bring it to light, they just had people straight up explain it to the audience.

Particularly bad since a HUGE portion of this season is retreading the same character beats, so nothing said really felt that revelatory.

this, they were all mediocre at best

some cool action sequences were the only saving graces of this season

i dont remember laughing more than once per episode

But that's what a therapist would do, right? And Rick just turning himself into a pickle to avoid therapy says something about him on not wanting to take it (granted Beth could have easily still brought him to therapy anytime because Rick still could talk and has his senses, but still the concept is there.)

I don't know why people don't like the vindicators. The entire puppet master drunk Rick scenario and fed up Morty made the episode one of my favorites of the season.

I can agree with that, thanks for replying without just memeing

Beth episode was bad.
Mad Max ep was meh.
Pickle Rick hate is way overstated, it's just okay, fun in some spots.

I actually liked Vindicators.

Every season's got at least 2 or so eps i'm not big on.

Yeah, it's what a therapist would do, but it's boring to watch. Nothing happened and no new information was given, and it had essentially no impact on the show for more than one episode. It was a pointless scene framed as a revelation.

I thought this season was pretty bad but I didn't hate Vindicators. I thought the characters were fun for the most part even if the broader plot kind of got in its own way.

In general I think this season tried hard to be a character study and failed. That's not what the show lends itself to, and I feel like even the writers are acknowledging that now.

Any episode that doesn't focus on Rick insulting Morty for his lack of intelligence for most of the episode doesn't belong on the show.

Rick lauding over everyone with his intelligence is a close second.

Followed by Shitting on Jerry.

IMO, Season 2 was a far worse season, and people just forgot how bad it really was.

Season 2 had the higher highs and lower lows

Season 2 only had like two highs altogether.

if the finale wasn't garbage, this would be right on the money.

Any episode that doesn't focus on Rick insulting Morty for his lack of intelligence for most of the episode doesn't belong on the show.

Rick lauding over everyone with his intelligence is a close second.

yeah, yknow i feel like the show went from being about how rick is smarter than anyone else, to being about how hes more badass and godlike

and it feels boring and fan-wanky

pickle rick and vindicators was okay, mad max was bad, to intelligent to not hurt people beth was absolute dreck, worse than anything else in the series and the only one that made me wish I hadn't seen it.

because it wasn't funny.

The therapist should've been shocked at the very least. Even if she has seen some shit. Literally. You don't see a pickle man waltzing into your office every day.

shes living on a post-galactic federation earth my dude
this world is all goofed up

I only found Rickmancing the Stone and the ABC's of Beth lackluster to be honest. They were mediocre Rick and Morty tier, but was miles ahead of what's normally on TV drama.

I understand where the pickle rick dislike was coming from, but ultimately enjoyed Rick's problem solving skills. I don't understand the hate for Vindicators episode, Rick absolutely trashing everyone was great.

I'd imagine Beth would have gave some brief details about Rick before hand and this

Is it? That seems to have been forgotten quite quickly.

pickle rick was good but the therapist half was dogshit
vindicators was okay
the rest was dogshit

I liked all these episodes. Vindicators mostly suffered from how quickly the characters turned in to assholes. Crocubot deserved better.

nobody talking about is just evidence that theres no overarching plot in the show

the setting is still the same but its up to you whether you want to actually think this hard

morty said not to examine things so much if you wanna have fun, so

God damn it, this is adventure time all over again
>we want to have plot
>but we dont at the same time

>minecraft parody
>plot about shrinking that is quickly forgotten
>le epic weed lmao
>beth is clone slubplot that nobody cares about
>more quips about nihilism and doctor who
>rick is so mary sue that it's not interesting
>overall confusing and nonsensical story
>completely lame ending

That finale was so bad. I'm still taking in just how much of a colossal failure that it was.

at this point adventure time's plotting and character development are miles ahead of Rick and Morty. Season 3 was the writers' attempt at a character-driven show and it failed completely.

I liked the fact that rick trashing everyone was more or less balanced out by Morty trashing him in return

>le epic weed lmao
the bowl not cherrying bothered me way more than it should've.

robocroc was to good for this world

you dont even know his name
stop memeing

i am ok with this list
The mad max one is the least offender

Crocubot sorry

its ok im sorry i snapped at you

its ok that pun makes me feel better

Vindicators episode was alright. The finale was complete bullshit though.

personally i was disappointed with the president being a lame asshole
he seemed cool before

the vindicators episode was too on the nose for me

They were all pretty good in my book.

My main critique is Pickle Rick's plot was a bit forgetable and relied too much on gross-out humor for my taste.

>pickle rick
>gross-out
Huh?

your doing gods work

Pickle Rick is probably one of my favorite episodes of the season. We got to see Rick start from scratch and explore around in unfamiliar places. The action scenes and weird corporate terrorism subplot was silly and fun. The episode was quite in spirit of the original quick-fire adventure premise of the show. If someone could edit out all the stupid psychiatrist drama it would be great. Just imagine Morty was part of the episode instead, perhaps trying to help Rick off-screen.

The whole sewer adventure? His body being made of rat scraps?

It was too Harmon, not enough Roiland. The overarching "what if cutaway gags had actual consequences on the well-being of an animated family" theme they were trying to out-meta all the other animated sitcoms with caused too many attempts at seriousness to seep into ridiculously premised episodes that should have stuck to exploring their ideas without tying them into the marriage trouble plot. The "and this relates to this season's motif of family because" scenes at the end of every episode made you think too much about episodes that shouldn't be thought too much about.

Especially embarrassing is that the incredibly meh and unsatisfying final episode aired right after none other than Family Guy itself, original sinners of the overused cutaway, had an absurdly postmodern episode defending its inanity and lack of consequence in the face of Emmy politics that accomplished what Harmon tried to script out in an entire ambitious season with, poetically, one episode of nothing but cutaway gags and metahumor.

I don't see how the mad max or pickle rick episodes were bad. They aren't amazing but they had more than enough good stuff going on to be worth a watch.

I always saw Gore as seperate from gross-out.

The beth episode was good, the worst character finally realized she was the worst character.

I don't think a pickle sticking its "tongue" into the brain of a roach qualifies as gore

Whats so gross about that?

everything about it.

>In general I think this season tried hard to be a character study and failed

It probably fails mostly because trying to do a character study with a character like Rick is a terrible idea, especially in the context of an animated sitcom. It's like doing a character study with Bender or Roger from American Dad.

Roger will infinitely be a better written character than Rick for the simple fact that American Dad doesn't even try to take him seriously.

Abcs of Beth and the Finale are the worst ones. The other three in pic are mediocre at best.

I liked pickle rick tho

How did he not die from touching him?

because he's THE GODDAMN PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES!

I'm the opposite didn't give much of an impression before but then went full sci-fi

only the Beth episode was bad

No, the only outright bad episodes were The ABCs Of Beth and the season finale.

>only
out of a season of ten episodes that's pretty bad

the citadel ep was pretty good.

>noooooo how dare a WOM*N give rick shit!!!!

lol

.....But why?

Okay but where's the lewds of the Megagargantuan Presidentress

This whole season felt like a giant therapy session for Harmon and crew. Majority of this season was dedicated to shitting on the pretentious fanbase Season 2 created.

Pickle Rick is like a deeply layered shit post that normies can't see, yet it massively mocks them. Its literally just a pointless joke yet idiots still try to take it at face value and dissect it.

They reintroduced Bird Person and Evil Morty during this season yet did nothing with them and then reset the show at the end of the season. Then we have the ultimate stinger of Mr Poopy Butthole with his wife and child calling the audience losers who sat around waiting for a cartoon to come back on air.

This show is smart but for none of the reasons the mainstream audience thinks.

it was intergalactic weed, dude. It doesn't cherry

The only good episodes were pic related.

Pickle and Vindicators were pretty entertaining.

Mad Max parody was pretty bland. Beth's episode was kind of disappointing.

ummm sweetie? It's WOMYN, please don't be sexist thank you

>terrible idea

No. They hit it pretty good. The hate for the therapist is just Rick fans being upset that someone as common as some overpaid secretary could easily tell Rick who he is.

>N-NO U JUST JEALOUS!

Yes I bet everyone is easy to understand when you view the world through the lenses of a fat highschool girl.

>toxic epsiode

That was absolutely idiotic.
It relies on a giant plothole (Sane-Rick somehow has lost all affection for other people, yet during the episode does nothing but pander to them) and something incredibly stupid (if Morty wasn't insecure he'd be a successful yuppie with hot girls and a big house because LOL THAT'S THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF HIM GEDDIT).
It just gets praise because of how it expresses Morty's relationship with Jessica, which is just a tiny part of the episode and doesn't justify the bullshit.

>t. angry rickfan

citadel and first episodes where the only great episodes

the rest were just filler in comparison

2> 1 > 3
I don't hate 3 like Sup Forums does but compared to the other seasons it's not as imaginative as 1 or character building as 2

>only bad episodes
>literally half

>tfw you actually like Ghost Train

I wish he was a real thing, I think his design and powers are pretty neat. I mean I guess they'd get old fast since it's just "Green Latern but trains only" but still

>Rick and Morty
>character building

I liked his powers too

Tales of the Citadel was the only good episode this season. Prove me wrong.

>But that's what a therapist would do, right?
and what a scientist would do is shooting portal, fucking alien bitch and wubba lubba dub dub, right?

I don't know how to rank them exactly, but here's how I see them.

Season 1 was consistently good to great, and never really hit a terribly low point. Overall it was the most consistently good season.
Season 2 was all over the place, with some episodes being fantastic and others being straight up garbage. It was the most hit or miss season, and when it hit or missed it seriously either hit or missed.
Season 3 wasn't as inconsistent as season 2, but at the same time it never quite hit the same highs or lows. I think it never got as bad as season 2 at its worst, at the cost of never getting as good either. A more consistent season, but a more mediocre one.

>it's not as imaginative as 1

People really give 1 too much credit. There have been bad episodes every season. There wasn't anything in 3 as tried or hackneyed as Anatomy Park. I mean seriously? A Fantastic Voyage spoof?

It'd be a nice original idea if it hadn't been in The Simpsons, Futurama, Aqua Team Hunger Force, Family Guy, Sealab 2021, Invader Zim, Dexter's Lab, Spongebob and a shitload of other stuff.

Then they crossed it with Jurassic Park which is another one of the most commonly parodied pieces of media.

pickle rick was obvious meme baiting

I think most of them were pretty good except the Beth episode, too disturbing and no reason to believe Beth is smart.

Though they might as well be shit compared to the Citadel

Rick is a Sup Forums troll given god-like powers so everything he does is meme-baiting

I actually started hating how Rick was being written during season 2, so evidently that's not the case.

But doing a character study of Rick is a terrible idea right out the gate because Rick is never going to change since if he did there wouldn't be a show. It was obvious from the get-go that this would be the case, and constantly bringing it up was a waste of time, even more so if you don't give a fuck about Rick. So you're left in a position where at best trying psycho-analyze a character is merely pointless at best, or ends up needing to downplay or straight up make excuses for Rick's more egregious bullshit lest the audience stops feeling sorry for him at worst.

On top of it 90% of the "character study" (along with most of the writing for this season) is basically just repeating the same points over and over again in blatant exposition dumps that aren't interesting or funny that are presented in the same manner every time. Considering how often they ended up needing to rely on bland ass "character explains the next plot point before it happens"/"character references writing cliche the episode is using" as their idea of jokes, especially near the end of the season, it seems like it's mostly because the writer's room doesn't know how to convey information in any other way.

>I mean seriously? A Fantastic Voyage spoof?
Though you can't have a series like R&M and not have a fantastic voyage episode, it's kinda the law.

>But doing a character study of Rick is a terrible idea right out the gate because Rick is never going to change since if he did there wouldn't be a show.

I don't know, characters in this show don't really seem to stay stable. I think every family member now has some form of PTSD

>Though you can't have a series like R&M
If by that you mean "generic sci-fi show" then yes, you're right.
But if that is what R&M is defnied as now, then it's confirmed to be a mediocre and forgettable show, which is not what s1 was promising.

>don't really seem to stay stable.
Are you kidding? The only one who changed is Morty, the others all stayed the same since the first episode.

I just meant "sci-fi spoof show"
by your criteria Futurama a generic sci-fi show

>by your criteria Futurama a generic sci-fi show
Yes?
Don't get me wrong it has its moments but as far as sci-fi goes it's pretty generic.
Some of the most well-beloved episode (the dog one and luck of the Fryish) barely have any sci-fi element in it at all.

Same for R&M now, if you pose the question "What would happen if we could understand animals?" and the answer you get is "LE SQUIRRELZ OF DOOOOMZ X333333",then defining it as a "generic sci-fi show" is being generous.

>Sane-Rick somehow has lost all affection for other people

No, he cares for other people. What he doesn't do is get attached to them. He's kind to them when they are there and accepts it when they're gone.

If you care for someone you're gonna care that they're in mortal danger. I'd understand if toxic-Morty was already dead or going to inevitably die but that was not the case.

But there never going to address if they have PTSD or not in any way that would require any real changes to the status quo. Because that would mean them cutting Rick out of their life, or for Rick making a change, which would mean not roping the family into his adventures, which would mean no show.

So all we're left with is these "moments" designed to try and either tug at your heartstrings in some capacity, but just come off as hollow and insincere.

That's what that user was saying though, if you try to do a character study on the aloof "i don't give a fuck" characters it either:
a) reveals that they aren't that aloof, or causes some change in character, which then makes them feel less interesting than their previousl misunderstood self

or
b) Is used to show just how unpredictable the character can be, which while interesting in theory, is better done through seeing the character make unpredictable choices or acts than to set them up in a situation made to tackle it head on.

If you care too much about characters that don't care, it almost always ruins them. Bender succeeds for the most part because a lot of his emotional development gets quo'd or is a flashback, meaning we can preserve his current identity without issue.

Am I the only one that thought Whirly Dirly Conspiracy was boring as fuck? I was really intrigued by the idea of a Rick and Jerry adventure but it just seemed lackluster, similar to the Mad Max episode. Neat idea, bad execution.

Jerry just isn't an interesting character