Will it be good? What do you think about it?

Will it be good? What do you think about it?

I have a feeling that like any other major comic book it will run for far too long.

I have a feeling that it will end up like the Archie comic and end up getting bloated with shitty OC’s

Depends on what your definition of "shitty OC" is.

any OC

That is inevitable as they need more cast... the important thing is not giving them the spotlight

The actual Sonic games have bloated as hell casts, if anything Archie should be commended for being faithful to that.

Sonic was never good.

Since IDW isn't as widely circulated it'll do okay, but eventually they'll say sales are too low and subject it to a series of relaunches and endless minis.

The Evil alternate Dimension Sonic comes to mind. He and his sob story background were really gay.

This is true, but I’m still not looking forward to it. To be honest, I could never really get into the Archie Comics because of characters like Sally, Antione, and the others. I felt that they just took away screen time from characters who should be getting more development and that they only served to over complicate the story of it. And that whole Sonic-Sally “will they won’t they” crap in the beginning really annoyed me.

Which is precisely the reason they shouldn’t be contributing to that bloat with their one list of extraneous characters

There better be more Amy, that's all I care about

Everything IDW has done ever has been based on 1980s/1990s cartoon nostalgia, so it will either be based on AOSTH or SATAM. Or both.

Gouge out your eyes, pleb

I hope it's better than the Archie comics
During the end it got better but there were still some problems

Nah. After everything that's happened, Sega will probably gladly make sure the SatAM cast is never seen again.

Well you're shit out of luck then, because a comic with no original elements is destined to be awful.

Like for real, think about it for three fucking seconds. What robots do Sonic and his friends fight? Nothing but badniks, egg pawns and existing bosses? Forever? Just "hey look it's thing i clapped when I saw it" over and over again? If we don't do any OCs we're not allowed original robots.

Where do they go? The game locations, over and over, forever? I mean yeah that can work for a while, but what do you do once you've run out of unique locations? Just start going to the ones that look the same but have different names? Recycle locations over and over? What if you want to do a setting Sonic games haven't done yet for a story, do you just tell it to fuck off because "muuhhhh accurassy!!"?

Who does Sonic interact with? Who do his friends interact with? JUST characters who mostly have pre-defined relationships? They don't save any incidental background characters then right? Are we going to just have certain Sega characters as designated jobbers, getting kidnapped/endangered over and over again? Are we going to limit the kinds of stories we can tell because literally every single character has to have their interactions run by Sega and approved for being okay with how they like to market them today?

It's fine to ask for the comic to dial it back, but you're going to have a really, REALLY shitty comic if you only use the licensed material.

Exactly what happened between Sega and Archie?

>OC characters are the only one way to make it original
Retarded.

I don't think IDW would take the contract if they weren't allowed to do what they want with it, desu. They didn't want the horse comic rights at all despite it basically printing money and only took it because they had to to be allowed to keep doing Transformers.

So Sega would have to spice up the deal with enough creative freedom to let them do what they wanted.

Now that Sega is colaborating with Hooters, will they allow lewd fanservice in the new series?

Ken Penders.

True. But its possible the Archie cast is now forever tainted in Sega's eyes.

>True. But its possible the Archie cast is now forever tainted in Sega's eyes.

Which is possible. In which case IDW will probably just make up new characters to fill out the roster.

For the games, it's not the amount, it's that they're always in the background doing nothing.

So what crossovers do you want to see?

Good thing I didn't say that!
Maybe you should try reading sometime.

That's only in Japan, right?

>Penders
Yeah I figured that piece of shit was responsible for this. But exactly what happened?

>Exactly what happened between Sega and Archie?
Ken Penders.

This faggot sued Sega when the released the Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood video game. He said that, since he wrote a story in the Archie comics about a secret evil order and some Knuckles relatives, that meant he owned the idea of any secret evil orders in the Sonic universe and so Sega owed him money.

Archie comics said no, fuck that, we own the stuff you wrote and stop pissing off the people giving us a paycheck. So Archie sued Penders.

Except that Archie lost the paperwork that Penders had when he signed up, and so while the Penders/Sega lawsuit apparently went nowhere, the Archie/Penders lawsuit resulted in Ken Penders getting ownership of most of the characters and storylines he wrote while at Archie.

Fast forward a bit, and Ken Penders was talking on Twitter about suing Archie again for some reason. He was also telling other former Archie artists to sue Archie for damages, since it's now known that Archie doesn't have the paperwork giving them ownership over a certain period of time. Around this point, it was time for Sega to renew their contract with Archie comics.

Unsurprisingly, Sega apparently decided to just drop Archie and the whole thing. Sega signed up with IDW instead.

Are there really people who haven't heard the story by this point?

The best you'll get without new antagonists or supporting characters is something like Mega Drive, which is mostly interesting due to novelty and strong artwork. It would crumble as a monthly serial. Just look at Archie's Mega Man.

It'd do fine if they don't just do game-structured stories.

Oh... well... official Sonic manga with lewd fanservice when?

Short version before some dumbass misrepresents what happened.

>BioWare makes an RPG with characters vaguely resembling Ken's characters.
>Ken files for copyright on his characters and sues Sega/EA.
>Archie countersues Penders.
>They stall him for years.
>They can't get 100% confirmation they'll win and if he DOES win it'll set a precedent that would absolutely fuck their business up.
>Settle with him instead.
>Ken's case against Sega is thrown out.
>Pissy that he isn't getting as much money as he wants/isn't getting work back at Archie on his terms, Ken suggests that his friend and former collaborator Scott Fulop sue Archie using a shell company to cause problems.
>Fulop does so.
>Sega says "yo fuck this it's not worth it" and abandons ship.

Important to note is that penders' lawsuits against Bioware and Sega over SC: TDB he lost. Every single one. The only reason Sega is keeping that game off limits is that as long as they don't do anything with it Penders can't attempt to sue them again.

Penders' wife is a lawyer so they're basically an embodiment of the US litigation system.

Tell that to all the other failed video game comics.

She's not a lawyer and wasn't his lawyer for any of these cases.

She probably knows a lot of legalese since she works for a bigass firm, but she isn't an actual lawyer. Also they don't live together.

Ow... I knew about that Chronicles thing. Didn't know the rest of the story. Thanks!

& kekles

>Important to note is that penders' lawsuits against Bioware and Sega over SC: TDB he lost. Every single one.
Good to know. I wasn't aware what happened there, so I didn't want to overstate, but pretty much everybody agrees that the original lawsuit against Sega (and Bioware) was complete bullshit.

He sounds like if Chris-Chan or to an extent Spax3 had actual power.

His last attempt was basically mocked for being past the point of being able to collect any money and having little to no legal basis.

>Chris-Chan sues Sega for the emotional abuse over Sonic having blue arms
>HE NO LONGER FITS IN WITH MY HEADCANON FAN COMICS! HOW DARE SEGA ABUSE ME LIKE THIS!

Sonic didn't fail because it only did game arcs occasionally. Take the plot structure of Archie (a given, since IDW does so love their arc TPBs), give it the art and tone of Mega Drive, use the whole game cast and a few new guys, and bam. Easy success.

It's also important to note that for practical purposes, Penders lost.

His intent with the Archie lawsuit was never to gain full control of his characters. Penders is a lazy piece of shit who has extreme problems getting anything off the ground, especially when it requires effort. What he actually wanted was to get money every time one of his stories or characters was used in the comic, whether in a reprint or a new comic or on the Archie app. And the court cases decided that this is what would happen. Archie was totally free to continue using the characters as long as they paid the fee.

But Archie decided instead to purge all of Penders and the other pre-Flynn characters from their comics and cancel the reprints. The reason was not publically stated, but it was obviously to deny Penders any money from his legal victory. As a result, Penders now only has his self-produced comics to possibly make money off of, and he has predictably still not even managed to complete a single issue of "the Lara-Su Chronicles".

So yeah Archie did a scorched earth rather than give Penders what he wanted and effectively took themselves down in flames as a result. Crazy shit.

Sonic didn't fail because the brand was huge.

Wake me up when they pick up Mega Man too.

The problem was that he negotiated the deal so that he would also be licensing his characters for all of those reprints and new comics and they had to do what he said in order to use them.

If the dumbass had only stipulated royalties he MIGHT have gotten some money. MAYBE. Instead he gave them an impossible deal, reliant on trust when he proved himself completely untrustworthy.

>Not liking the Archie OCs means you hate originality in any form
Calm down fag, no need to get worked up. I’m just saying I wasn’t that big a fan of the Archie cast and how much focus they got. They were never really all that interesting to me.

I liked the love triangles it created

Also important to note is that that game was hot garbage and the less we acknowledge its existence the better

>Arguing that some form of original content must be present means you want to fuck Sally Acorn!
Quoting things nobody said nor implied sure can be misleading.

Because he's an idiot.

He honestly believes that his storytelling skills are what made people buy the Archie sonic comic in droves, even though when they did give him his own title (the Knuckles spin-off) it got canceled. He thinks that his stories are the core of the fandom, not brand recognition or anything like that.

Maybe if he'd actually bothered to finish the second issue of The Lost Ones he could have had something else to try and live off of than misplaced trust in the sonic fanbase.

Daily reminder, Forces is an indirect sequel to Chronicles

>Maybe if he'd actually bothered to finish the second issue of The Lost Ones
Image cancelled on him.

It was done as a favor by Jim Valentino in the first place, but the sales for #1 were so goddamn low (like less than 3000 copies, I believe) that they couldn't justify printing any more issues.

Oh shit your right, i remember the ending of chronicle was Eggman conquering the earth.

Why does everyone hate this game? it was alright, except the soundtrack and soundeffect.

No, its a sequel to Mania.

Issue 0 of the Archie comic introduce all the main Freedom Fighters at a time when Tails had just been introduced in the games.

>Why does everyone hate this game?
Which game?

Sonic Chronicles was apparently well received. Sonic Forces is apparently getting a lot of shit because it is literally shoving the player's OC Sonic character into the plot of the game. Although I'm not sure if Forces is even out yet for most people to judge.

I have played the games and followed the franchise since its inception
And...
I only have one question:

IS TAILS REALLY A GIRL?

It was an audiovisual mess. The graphics and animations were off-putting. Gameplay was ok, but some special attack performances were really weir and nonsense.
Exploration and dialogue choices were fun though
And I loved to flirt with Amy

Other than the shit soundtrack? And the special attacks that did jack shit if you didn't get the touch screen controls perfectly? And the fact that there's no reason to use half the party members the game gives you because they barely differ from each other? And the anti-grinding feature that makes it more practical to avoid enemy encounters than fight them?

The story is retarded and it has that pointless dialogue tree shit that Bioware just has to put in every one of their games.

>Sonic Chronicles was apparently well received.
It's one of the most hated Sonic games, dude

>Sonic Forces is apparently getting a lot of shit because it is literally shoving the player's OC Sonic character into the plot of the game.
It’s weird how much this bothers me, and yet I was fine when the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games did it.

>followed the franchise since its inception
>Doesn't know that Tails is a boy

No.

This was a misconception when the character was designed. Japanese nouns are gendered, meaning that any specific noun is either male or female. The noun "tail" is a female noun, and so the rumor started going around that "Tails" was supposed to be a female, due to the japanese version of the name, Tails, is a female noun.

However, everything indicates that Tails was intended to be a younger boy companion for Sonic, somebody who looked up to him and thought he was "cool". There's no design artwork or sketches indicating a little girl Tails at any point.

>Tell Amy to fuck off at every opportunity
>Tails goes "Oh I'm sure Sonic doesn't really mean that, Amy" every time
>No option to say "No, I genuinely wish she would get hit by a train

Aren't those MMOs? That's kind of to be expected with that genre

Ah, whoops. I think I mixed up Chronicles with... basically any other Sonic game. Not sure why I screwed that up.

His name is Miles Prower. Tails is his nickname.

That’s actually one of the things I disliked about it. I am not a fan of stupid relationship drama.

>MMOs
No. Fighting games.

Can you remind me those triangles?

Jesus christ, considering the shit that got at least 4 issues I'm amazed. Like how can you get canceled at IMAGE of all things? And with a Sonic crossover already out to promote it?

>I was fine when the Dragon Ball Xenoverse games did it.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse very specifically sets itself up as a non-canon situation, where it happens far into the future and is specifically not intended for anything in Xenoverse to relate to anything happening in the show. Plus, the entire plot of Xenoverse involves crossover Death Battles where people just get yanked out of various points in the shows and you fight them there. The entire premise is designed to be silly and only used to reproduce fights with your character.

Sonic Forces seems like it's trying to be "canon" (at least in some context) and that your OC is supposedly part of the Sonic world as a result. Also, from what I've heard, most of Sonic Forces uses the worst ways of handling an OC. Xenoverse involves your character studying under a tutor and being mentored to get better, not just being some happen-to-be-awesome talking critter from nowhere.

the reason the freedom fighters got all the development was that sega literally would stick its nose in every once in a while and set down almost bizarre rules for the game characters, especially sonic himself. ESPECIALLY after penders.

>bizarre rules for the game characters
Explain user, pleease

>flirt with Amy
My Brother! That cute stuff was the best thing to come out of the game.

IDW is pure poison.

Than again, so is a good part of what was left of Sonic.

Will they cancel each other out, or just double the poison I wonder......

>poison
Why?

Sega-specific original characters are not permitted familial relationships unless already established (like Cream the Rabbit and Vanilla the Rabbit) with some limited exceptions (eg. Charles Hedgehog). ACP-exclusive characters (Sally, Rotor, Bunnie, Antoine) are permitted however.

Use of Ken Penders characters or any of his content from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave are forbidden (although settlement grants ACP legal use of his creations under limited conditions, reasons for not doing so are not disclosed to the public by either ACP or Sega Inc. as of this time).

Content from certain games are not permissible:
Black Doom from Shadow the Hedgehog.

All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Replacing said characters with post-incarnations however, is permissible. (eg. Maximillian Acorn → Nigel Acorn).

Archie Comics Publishing are forbidden to reference Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Sonic Underground or Sonic X unless granted specific permission from Sega Incorporated.

ACP is forbidden to using the character Doctor Eggman Nega unless specifically granted permission from Sega Incorporated.

Sonic's home planet is no longer permitted to be referred to as “Mobius”, be it Light, Dark, Prime or otherwise.

Only one Metal Sonic is permitted for appearance but no multiples.

With the exception of the character Nicole allowing effected characters to remember the previous universe, these memories are forced to 'fade' and be rendered irrelevant.

Turns out SEGA saying "hey if Sonic's not the kind to cry when sad please don't have him bawl like a furry drama every two issues" means "UNREASONABLE BIZARRE CONTROLLING ISSUES" for the fucking furfags that masturbated to Archie Sonic.

Character depicitions such as Classic Sonic, Classic Tails, Classic Eggman or any other classic depictions of Sega's characters are not permitted unless permission is given directly from Sega Incorporated. (However some ACP publications have shown scenes of the 'Classic' characters in shadows, silhouettes or bare resemblance to them in flashbacks). With the 25th anniversary of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise however, this mandate appears to have been lifted.

Sonic is not allowed to “lose”. He can be 'put down' and experience hardship but is not allowed to completely 'fail'.

Main and/or significant characters are forbidden in forming intimate or love-relationships. ACP-exclusive characters are permitted however (Bunnie and Antoine) but not with Sega's characters (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn).

Original Sega characters are to conform, stay conformed to their modern designs as of Sonic the Hedgehog #71. None are allowed to change or modify their existing wardrobe or wear any different wardrobe at all, regardless of the story context.

Sega-exclusive characters cannot be "killed-off", whilst Archie-exclusive characters are not mentioned in this mandate, it remains unclear whether this rule may apply to them also.

Inline nkjtolruMz1riafjl

An example of established-requirement of censorship of emotion from Sonic the Hedgehog #166 (left: original, right: current)

Sonic and Sega-exclusive characters are not allowed to show excessive emotion.[8]

NOTE: We now know that the reason for the ban on "classic" Sonic designs is that Sega was already planning the reveal that classic Sonic and modern Sonic are brothers, not alternate versions of each other or time displaced counterparts or anything.

Weren't there also some limitations to how much emotion the Sega-original characters could display, as well? As in, they couldn't draw Sonic all massively weepy and crying. He needs to stay within a specific range.

Amy Sally and Sonic
Sally Mina Sonic
Skunk guy Sally Sonic
Monkey King guy Sally and Sonic
Here are a few

why are they pure poison?

the Metal Gear comics were alright...

>Sega was already planning the reveal that classic Sonic and modern Sonic are brothers, not alternate versions of each other or time displaced counterparts or anything.
What the fuck?

>Sega-specific original characters (etc)
Considering before this mandate we ended up with a shitton of echidnas, no shit they had to say "please don't add family members if these characters aren't supposed to have them"

>Use of Ken Penders characters or any of his content from the Pre-Super Genesis Wave are forbidden(etc)
That's not a sega rule you idiot. And they're not using it because it'd be utterly idiotic to effectively pay for two licenses, especially when Penders had already admitted he'd be ten times as controlling than Sega was.

>Content from certain games are not permissible:
Licensor doesn't want licensees to reference certain elements that are no longer relevant to the modern franchise, how dare they! You idiot. If anything you should be celebrating sega lets them do more than most other companies would- Nintendo wouldn't have let them have Fang and Bean and Bark be nearly as prominent.

>All characters and content (with the exception of original Sega characters) from Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.
Again, that's because of Penders, not sega.

>Replacing said characters with post-incarnations however, is permissible. (eg. Maximillian Acorn → Nigel Acorn).
Because of Penders, not sega.

>Archie Comics Publishing are forbidden to reference(etc)
And Archie couldn't reference MMBN either. Distribution rights are a bitch, Archie's contract only covered AoSTH and SatAM. Look at what you're writing, "they can only reference these licenses if given the licenses". How the fuck is that unreasonable?

>ACP is forbidden to using the character Doctor Eggman Nega
Again, "they can only use a license if given the license" being treated like some unreasonable sin.

>classic Sonic and modern Sonic are brothers
Whaaaaaa...t?

Yeah ditto here. I'm gonna need source on this. Sounds like mistranslation shenanigans.

Knuckles Rouge Julie Su

And if Bollers hadn't left, he said Sonic was going to date Rouge to make Sally jealous.

>Sonic's home planet is no longer(etc)
Sonic's home planet hasn't been Mobius since 1998 and if anything you should be thankful it took this long for the comic to be forced to get with the times.

>Only one Metal Sonic is permitted for appearance(etc)
Because he's a character and Ian was treating him like a fucking lame badnik. Guess what, you can't have thirty Eggmen appearing every issue either.

>With the exception of the character Nicole allowing effected characters(etc)
That's editorial, not sega.

>Character depicitions such as Classic Sonic, Classic Tails, Classic Eggman or any other classic depictions of Sega's characters
Classic is a separate license. Like the Sonic X stuff, or Nega, you're once again complaining that ACP only gets to use a license when they have a license.

>Sonic is not allowed to “lose”.
He has to win, rather. He can take the beating of his life before he wins, but he has to win.

>Main and/or significant characters are forbidden(etc)
Yeah no shit that if Knuckles isn't supposed to have a girlfriend, they can't give him a girlfriend.

>Original Sega characters are to conform
Amy alone proves that wrong considering she changed outfits before the reboot.

>Sega-exclusive characters cannot be "killed-off"
Why the quotation marks? Sega characters can't be killed off, yes. So awful, you can't kill Eggman. Are you retarded?

>Sonic and Sega-exclusive characters are not allowed to show excessive emotion
No, SONIC isn't allowed to be shown crying waterfalls because that's not his personality. If the writers are so bad they can't think other ways to show grief than that, that's on them. Sonic can clearly still tear up, and if more is needed, Yardley did a perfect job showing him griefing and fitting his character on Babylon Rising.

>We now know that the reason for the ban on "classic" Sonic designs is that Sega was already planning the reveal that classic Sonic and modern Sonic are brothers
Oh, you ARE retarded.

I'd prefer rouge and shadow

I've always wondered what Sega's deal was with Neggman, they seem like they don't want anyone to acknowledge his existence.

I think they regretted creating him in the first place.

Bah, they're more like siblings.

Sonic Rivals fucked his continuity up and they've just not been sure on how to fix that.

I think she's the best character for shadow

Easy, ignore those games. They were never even released in Japan, last I checked.

I unironically hope the comic is based on Sonic boom. It's the first time in forever that the Sonic characters have had any well character. In the games they are usually one-dimensional backdrops to Sonic at best and have no distinguishable personalities. The show manages to make them all likeable and distinct and it's fucking great.

If Sonic Boom then I hope they take the character writing from it and apply it to whatever the comic is about.

I mean, not that I really give that much of a shit about Eggman Nega, but it's not as if Iizuka can't simply disregard that game entirely and declare it "non-canon". He's already done similar things on at least a few occasions. Besides, Rivals is just obscure enough for no one outside of a few screeching autists on the internet to really give a shit anyway.

That seems to be what they're doing nowadays, didn't Iizuka say "Nega's from another dimension" last Summer of Sonic?

I don't want it being directly a Boom comic, but taking cues from its character writing would be fine. Except for Knuckles.

Also the one time they called him a "she" in the spanish translation of one of the games.

But that also happened with Garfield and Friends' Nermal.