BLACK PANTHER: LONG LIVE THE KING

Marvel and comiXology have announced Black Panther: Long Live The King, a six-issue bi-weekly mini-series to be released exclusively on comiXology in the style of Thor vs. Hulk: Champions of the Universe and Immortal Iron Fists.

The series is written by Hugo award winning author Nnedi Okorafor with art from Andre Aurajo, and will center on a giant monster that invades Wakanda.

“Marvel Comic’s Immortal Iron Fists and Thor vs. Hulk: Champions of the Universe have been topping the charts on comiXology,” said Chip Mosher, comiXology’s Head of Content & Senior Director of Communications. “These digital exclusives, part of the ComiXology Originals line, continue to add value and interest to our comiXology Unlimited subscription service.”

Black Panther: Long Live The King #1 will be released on comiXology December 13.

WE

I don't want to immediately derail this thread with politics, but do you think marvel thinks about the possibility that only giving black writers assignments on comic books starring black characters with the expectation that it be politically engaging, may backfire in the way that it does, and has, with Christopher Priest? I don't want to oversimplify things, I thought it was funny as fuck a while back when that person on twitter BTFO'd Bendis, something like, "Why is BMB the only writer who gets to do black people". Not to say thats what this will be, but its been on my mind a lot lately. Like this could easily be a western imperial colonialism story just looking at the description

>Nnedi Okorafor is an international award-winning novelist of African-based science fiction

Not likely sny time soon, they're only assigning unknown and not that well established outside talent to these books. Priest's issue was that he had been writing for Marvel for years and was pretty well established, yet he only kept getting "black" assignments, and when he thought he finally got Cap, it was turned into a fucking Falcon team up book.

KANGZELLED

>ya scifi author
mite b ok
ahmed's black bolt is p good and that guy wrote middle eastern fantasy

>“Like Ta-Nehisi Coates and Roxane Gay, Nnedi Okorafor brings her storytelling and world building skills to Wakanda,” about the newest Black Panther scribe. You might know her work from her recent Venom War Stories comic or maybe you’ve read one of her incredible Afrofuturism books like Who Fears Death, or Binti? Whether you’re yet to discover her work or not, you’ll be in for a treat when Black Panther: Long Live the King hits our digital screens on December 13th.

>Afrofuturism
I can hear Samuel Delany laughing his beard off.

Stop thinking about such bullshit things, or is your brain too rotten beyond repair?

Looking through her twitter I didn't see anything about white people being literally Hitler. Although she does love her Nigerian bruthas. How did she get hired by Marvel?

Nigerians are legit hard working and don't buy into that oppression bullshit.

Hahaha, she went from using a horrible artist in Venomverse to an equally horrible artist with this

their policy oven who writes what hasn't really changed at all, they've always had minority writers write minority characters.

Until the third panel I thought that was some sort of knockoff Reverse Flash.

One of the smartest dudes I ever met was Nigerian. Had his pick of medical schools and everything. Probably one of the most humble people I've ever met as well

It's the exact same with female writers only being allowed to write female characters for the most part.

>another fucking ya writer.
Marvels can't die fast enough.

Nnedi Okorafor is a good author, but she isn't a comic book writer and just isn't intimate with the medium.

>another series
He already had two series that bombed. Stop over-saturating Black Panther goddamnit.

Okorafor has written YA, but isn't exclusively a YA writer, far from it. Most of her work is adult sci-fantasy.

Scifi is like Hollywood: it should have died out when the 20th century ended.