Why did they have to make him so unlikeable? He was originally a subversion of President tropes...

Why did they have to make him so unlikeable? He was originally a subversion of President tropes, now he is just a generic incompetent President.

It is rare to see a leader character behave competently and openly, like the President did in "Get Schwifty"

He's not incompetent. He's good at what he does and took appropriate actions. The problem is that he overstepped his bounds and treated Rick & Morty as though they were simple citizens when they are effectively walking gods relatively. Then felt like he had to show authority when he realized how small he and america is in comparison to them.

>Why did they have to make him so unlikeable?
I don't think they did but then again I was comparing him to the Smiths and the Smiths are all so, so shit.

Because the writing has gone to shit.

>unlikeable
>Keith David talking
Does not compute.

This warranted it's own thread instead of being posted in one of the many rick and morty threads, huh?

Yes. Fuck off.

>unlikeable
I liked him.

Rick and Morty isn't made to be taken seriously.

The more you dissect and analyze it, the more it doesn't hold up.

Rick and Morty is for cheap, quick yucks (more like grins and a "heh") late-ish at night after a tough day at work (or lounging around if you're a useless NEET).

"The smartest show on television". Please, that's the writers selling the show to you. Rick and Morty is barely more intelligent than Family Guy--just because it has a wacky Sci-Fi theme and "dude nihilism lmao" does not mean it's "smart".

Basically what I'm trying to say is you're taking the show more seriously than it even takes itself.

It's literally President Keith David having as much fun with the role as he can

Just appreciate it for what it is

Oh please. American are dumb as fuck. Of course their leader is going to be a cynical dumb cunt.

1)He's funny fuck you
2)He managed to fund teleportation technology and held his own on a fight against Rick, which considering how OP they've made Rick this seasons is very impressive so he's not remotely incompetent

Nope.

Rick got to kick the president in the balls

Rick was sandbagging pretty hard in thst fight so he wouldn't cause lasting damage.

>Just turn your brain off, it's just a cartoon bro
kys

>taking Adult Swim cartoons seriously
I'd tell you to kill yourself, but there's probably a very real possibility you're already considering it

>2015
>President is a competent, likable person who does what he has to do, trusts Rick and Morty, and tries to stop the antagonist
>2017
>President is an immature control freak who constantly gets shat on, tries to manipulate Rick and Morty, and acts as the antagonist
Gee, I wonder what could've happened between 2015 and 2017 that may have changed the writers' mindset when writing President characters.

>cynical dumb cunt.
>strong leader who knows how to manage the secrets of his country, has a literal god imprisoned in Area 51, and the Rickest Rick in his employ.
ftfy

Rick was clearly bullshitting about being able to see the invisible commandos.

Yet he needs to maintain the illusion of control for narcissistic reasons. He's a dumb cunt.

only "unlikable" thing he did was to fuck with Rick and Morty, which was a fair payback considering how they shittalked and lied to him.

it wasnt about him being unlikable he was just the focus of the lolrandom lets have Rick fight the President skit, this finally was no different than Peter Griffin fighting the giant Chicken for 10minutes.The kiddies are going to love it, especially after the pointless minecraft references.

I thought the President was a badass. He's definitely less of a narcissist than Rick.

It's not like he even would have stood a chance considering Season 3 writers are hammering home that Rick is some untouchable mortal god.

What's with R&M fans jumping all over side character's flaws when the star of the show is one of the most flawed characters of all time. Is it because nihilism is cool with the self-proclaimed smart crowd so Rick gets a pass?

wait a minute....

To be fair, maintaining an illusion of control over someone like Rick would be important for a politician because otherwise, rivals WILL think "Gee, maybe Rick could be swayed to this side." or "wow, what a fucking bitch, can't even control one old man and his grandson, clearly that country is ripe for invasion"

Why was this the season finale?
I would have been fine with this ep if it wasn't.

Have you been under a rock the past eight months?

>But Sir! You have a 100% approval rating, why would they want that?
>BECAUSE THEY'RE ASSHOLES!

Best dialog exchange in the episode for me.

Yeah, it's the season finale.

Its time to take off the tinfoil hat user. Not everything is a Trump comparison.

>Invisa-Soldiers, stand down!

>Awwww!...

But he was competent. That was the whole joke.

I think it was fine for a season finale because it ultimately served to bring Rick down a peg, which is exactly what he needed & deserved s after the elevation he got from the season premier.

Not everything is, but this is.

Maybe its the voice, but the president felt like he was spoofing hollywood action movie presidents way more than anything Trump did.

I guess I could see the comparisons if his staff were the ones pulling his strings or the Pres had some sorta "I was only pretending to be retarded" thing going on.

Except that the writing and production began like a full year before Trump was elected, and at least a good 8 months before Trump was even the republican nominee. And remember that everyone in the media was convinced Hillary was gonna win until 9PM on election night. So unless this episode was rewritten and reanimated within the past 8 months (it wasn't) it is truly impossible for the President to be a Trump stand-in.

While I enjoy the show, basically this user gets it

I don't need "Rick & Morty" to be smart -- I need it to be funny. Anyone who can brag about watching "smart cartoons" -- implying that he's somehow smart as well -- is suffering from a serious case of Dunning-Kruger.

And incidentally, I thought that last episode of Season 3 was the funniest one of the season.

He lost a war to fucking dogs. His country got owned by aliens. That isnt very competent.